|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
Sub lingual desensitization, 2013 article.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/an-a...
Severe food allergy desensitization, March 2013 NY Times article
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/magazine/ca...
This on is more labor intensive than the sub-lingual drops.
The point is that for the people with truly severe food allergies there are strategies and treatments available.
I am sympathetic to Squishy's situation; my youngest has environmentally triggered (mild) asthma, but I tend to fall more on Cheluzal's side of things. The world shouldn't have to accommodate everyone's needs.
There are 300 million people in this country. Three million kids have these allergies. If they die tomorrow they won't be missed. My kids don't have these problems- maybe you guessed that? Not MY problem that other peoples kids do.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Sean Penn and Dennis Rodman are not vilified to the extent that Fonda is. Additionally, lots of people denounced our governments actions over the past decade and I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who inspires as much hatred as Jane Fonda.
Definitely. I think that her traveling to Hanoi was what did it.

LOTS and LOTS of people (especially by '72) were against what had been happening. The thing is, most people don't seem to get the fact that Hanoi was using her and she was too young, niece, and idealistic to realize that she was their (willing) dupe.

I think she really believed that she was doing a noble thing, but being an actress, not a poli sci/history major, she had no freaking clue about the US history with Vietnam (it started in '45) or politics, or governments, or anything else. She was a show business, Beverly Hills/Swiss boarding schools educated, kid that came of age at that time and became part of the movement that was happening for people in her age cohort. FTR the US *supported* Ho Chi Minh in the beginning.

It wasn't until France gave in (after Dien Bien Phu) and the area was so destabilized that the powers that be felt we needed to step in to keep the USSR at bay. It was most definitely a proxy war because of the geopolitical end economic value of Indochina.

Oh hell...looks like I was paying attention to that class after all. <sigh>

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

*niece=naive

dam you autocorrect!!!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Any history buffs( or older peeps) wanna help me out?
I read about a movie theater that won't play Oprah's new movie cause Jane Fonda is on it and they still hate her from back on the 60's. I understand she was outspoken against the vietnam war, but this pervasive grudge against her indicates she was more than just anti-war. What exactly did she do that sets her apart from any other celebrity of the day? I really have no idea.
She actively supported the North Vietnamese. She was called Hanoi Jane as I recall.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
She stood with the Viet Kong and denounced America's actions. Much like the traitors Sean Penn and Dennis Rodman.
Dennis Rodman?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

I should have read Mimi's posts first.

The enmity left from Vietnam still lingers in things like this.

It is my opinion that Bill Clinton's problems stemmed in part because he was seen as a hippie draft dodger who got out of serving using 4S ( student deferments)

JFK has a lot to answer for. He got us in there.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
It is my opinion that Bill Clinton's problems stemmed in part because he was seen as a hippie draft dodger who got out of serving using 4S ( student deferments)
The Right would have simply found some othr reason to attack him if they didn't have that. If he was a Republican, the right would not have said a word about that.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

I recall that time of the Vietnam War, pretty well...as one of you know's, i currently have a stepbrother sentenced to a wheelchair, due to Agent Orange exposure, during the war....another that served, took his own life....I lost many friends, including friends i knew, from 3rd grade to highschool.....Jane Fonda, no doubt handled her feelings about the war horribly...But, to many others that served and to those lost...it was truly an avoidable apocalypse....I knew many very good Americans, veterans included...that hated that war and that should never be confused with, not supporting our troops.......

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Lets not forget W and his Texas Air nat guard (non) service...

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Aside from the draft thing, and aside from the GOP wanting to keep their asses in the oval office, Clinton, like Kennedy, like FDR and like TR, aaannnndddd like Obama...were all a changing of the guard from one generation to the next and the older generation REALLY didn't want to let go. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
I recall that time of the Vietnam War, pretty well...as one of you know's, i currently have a stepbrother sentenced to a wheelchair, due to Agent Orange exposure, during the war....another that served, took his own life....I lost many friends, including friends i knew, from 3rd grade to highschool.....Jane Fonda, no doubt handled her feelings about the war horribly...But, to many others that served and to those lost...it was truly an avoidable apocalypse....I knew many very good Americans, veterans included...that hated that war and that should never be confused with, not supporting our troops.......
There were so...many...steps along the way where it could have been avoided. THEN there we so many times we could have gotten out of it. The biggest single mistake of the entire thing was Johnson's unwavering support of Westmoreland. If they'd gotten rid of him earlier and changed it from a war of attrition to a conquer and hold (i forget eh actual military term) like they did after that they could have been out, successfully, in a couple of years providing that they could have and would have been willing to continue to prop up Saigon.

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

PEllen wrote:
He failed to get us out, but he was murdered so we can only speculate what he would or would not have done later.

Eisenhower tried to stay out of it, but had to do what he had to do and really Truman had his fingers in it as well...as I said our involvement there started ~45. Johnson escalated it.

I think if we analyze it,(and oh god I have...) we have to lay the bulk of the blame for all of the worst parts at Johnson's feet. Gulf of Tonkin anyone? And the French...we need to blame the French too.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets not forget W and his Texas Air nat guard (non) service...
What was Bammy's military service?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Dennis Rodman?
He went to North Korea was all chummy with... Il Jung or Cream of Sum Yun Guy or whatever that leader's name is. Then came back to the states and said he was a nice guy, just young and misunderstood.

However... it was speculated that Rodman was actually spying for the US. Maybe that's why he wasn't arrested.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
The Right would have simply found some othr reason to attack him if they didn't have that. If he was a Republican, the right would not have said a word about that.
Yep. It's all a rightwing conspiracy. That's why we didn't hear about any Republican presidents who failed to serve or dodged the draft... wait, there weren't any...

Keep drinking that koolaid, good buddy!
Timmy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

The military draft had ended by the time he turned 18. Unlike W, there was no draft to dodge. W dodged the draft by joining the National Guard and then did not have the decency to properly serve his time in it.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
What was Bammy's military service?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

I believe she actually went to vietnam and told the troop they were basically baby killers. She did not just speak against the war, she was DPRK propaganda machine.
Mister Tonka wrote:
Any history buffs( or older peeps) wanna help me out?
I read about a movie theater that won't play Oprah's new movie cause Jane Fonda is on it and they still hate her from back on the 60's. I understand she was outspoken against the vietnam war, but this pervasive grudge against her indicates she was more than just anti-war. What exactly did she do that sets her apart from any other celebrity of the day? I really have no idea.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
There were so...many...steps along the way where it could have been avoided. THEN there we so many times we could have gotten out of it. The biggest single mistake of the entire thing was Johnson's unwavering support of Westmoreland. If they'd gotten rid of him earlier and changed it from a war of attrition to a conquer and hold (i forget eh actual military term) like they did after that they could have been out, successfully, in a couple of years providing that they could have and would have been willing to continue to prop up Saigon.
This may interest you...I forget, Showtime or Cinamax had this series on strange twists in history...In 1946, Ho Chi Minh, through channels, wanted assistance from President Truman,...in providing assistance toward forming a type of democracy, for his people.....if and when, they were completely autonomous....Unfortunately... . History records that somehow, Truman's advisors insisted he ignore that request....Somtimes, history really hurts, eh?.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. It's all a rightwing conspiracy. That's why we didn't hear about any Republican presidents who failed to serve or dodged the draft... wait, there weren't any...
Keep drinking that koolaid, good buddy!
They're much better at, getting us into Wars.....Can't you hear John McCain from where you're at?....

“What's it to ya?”

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

RACE wrote:
I believe she actually went to vietnam and told the troop they were basically baby killers. She did not just speak against the war, she was DPRK propaganda machine.
<quoted text>
Ummmm DPRK is N. Korea... j/s

Otherwise, yeah.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

114 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,083,460
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Jacques from Ottawa 175,093
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 36 min Te rigs 48,996
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 47 min nono 3,845
'African' stowaway's body found on US military ... 1 hr Ban the 2nd Amendment 2
Christianity 1 hr Ban the 2nd Amendment 2
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr SpaceBlues 45,881
Amy 7-30 1 hr Toj 18
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••