“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#90115 Aug 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Any history buffs( or older peeps) wanna help me out?
I read about a movie theater that won't play Oprah's new movie cause Jane Fonda is on it and they still hate her from back on the 60's. I understand she was outspoken against the vietnam war, but this pervasive grudge against her indicates she was more than just anti-war. What exactly did she do that sets her apart from any other celebrity of the day? I really have no idea.
She traveled to Hanoi during the war. Sat on an anti-aircraft tank and used her celebrity for propaganda FOR the NVA and against US aggression. Vets HATE her.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#90116 Aug 24, 2013
There's more. That's just the cliff notes.http://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Jane_Fonda#.22Hanoi_Jane. 22_controversy

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#90117 Aug 24, 2013
Tonka, google Hanoi Jane...you will get more info than you will ever want to know.

I briefly flirted with using this as the subject for my research paper in that class I took about the war. My teacher, a Vietnam vet had VERY definite opinions and I figured I would be safer (my grade would) with a different topic so I went with My Lai. Even so he wasn't happy with my take on it (against the massacre...duh) but still gave me an A...not sure I would have passed if I'd done Jane Fonda.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#90118 Aug 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I read about a movie theater that won't play Oprah's new movie cause Jane Fonda is on it and they still hate her from back on the 60's. I understand she was outspoken against the vietnam war, but this pervasive grudge against her indicates she was more than just anti-war. What exactly did she do that sets her apart from any other celebrity of the day? I really have no idea.
She stood with the Viet Kong and denounced America's actions. Much like the traitors Sean Penn and Dennis Rodman.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#90119 Aug 24, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
There's more. That's just the cliff notes.http://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Jane_Fonda#.22Hanoi_Jane. 22_controversy
Thanks.

I'd love to have been a fly on he wall to see this.

In 2005, Michael A. Smith, a U.S. Navy veteran, was arrested for disorderly conduct in Kansas City, Missouri, after he spat chewing tobacco in Fonda's face during a book-signing event for her autobiography, My Life So Far. He told reporters that he "consider[ed] it a debt of honor" and further stated "she spit in our faces for 37 years. It was absolutely worth it. There are a lot of veterans who would love to do what I did.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#90120 Aug 24, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
She stood with the Viet Kong and denounced America's actions. Much like the traitors Sean Penn and Dennis Rodman.
Sean Penn and Dennis Rodman are not vilified to the extent that Fonda is. Additionally, lots of people denounced our governments actions over the past decade and I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who inspires as much hatred as Jane Fonda.
Crunchy Bacon

Hoffman Estates, IL

#90121 Aug 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Sub lingual desensitization, 2013 article.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/an-a...
Severe food allergy desensitization, March 2013 NY Times article
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/magazine/ca...
This on is more labor intensive than the sub-lingual drops.
The point is that for the people with truly severe food allergies there are strategies and treatments available.
I am sympathetic to Squishy's situation; my youngest has environmentally triggered (mild) asthma, but I tend to fall more on Cheluzal's side of things. The world shouldn't have to accommodate everyone's needs.
There are 300 million people in this country. Three million kids have these allergies. If they die tomorrow they won't be missed. My kids don't have these problems- maybe you guessed that? Not MY problem that other peoples kids do.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#90122 Aug 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Sean Penn and Dennis Rodman are not vilified to the extent that Fonda is. Additionally, lots of people denounced our governments actions over the past decade and I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who inspires as much hatred as Jane Fonda.
Definitely. I think that her traveling to Hanoi was what did it.

LOTS and LOTS of people (especially by '72) were against what had been happening. The thing is, most people don't seem to get the fact that Hanoi was using her and she was too young, niece, and idealistic to realize that she was their (willing) dupe.

I think she really believed that she was doing a noble thing, but being an actress, not a poli sci/history major, she had no freaking clue about the US history with Vietnam (it started in '45) or politics, or governments, or anything else. She was a show business, Beverly Hills/Swiss boarding schools educated, kid that came of age at that time and became part of the movement that was happening for people in her age cohort. FTR the US *supported* Ho Chi Minh in the beginning.

It wasn't until France gave in (after Dien Bien Phu) and the area was so destabilized that the powers that be felt we needed to step in to keep the USSR at bay. It was most definitely a proxy war because of the geopolitical end economic value of Indochina.

Oh hell...looks like I was paying attention to that class after all. <sigh>

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#90123 Aug 24, 2013
*niece=naive

dam you autocorrect!!!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#90124 Aug 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
She actively supported the North Vietnamese. She was called Hanoi Jane as I recall.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#90125 Aug 24, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Dennis Rodman?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#90126 Aug 24, 2013
I should have read Mimi's posts first.

The enmity left from Vietnam still lingers in things like this.

It is my opinion that Bill Clinton's problems stemmed in part because he was seen as a hippie draft dodger who got out of serving using 4S ( student deferments)

JFK has a lot to answer for. He got us in there.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#90127 Aug 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
It is my opinion that Bill Clinton's problems stemmed in part because he was seen as a hippie draft dodger who got out of serving using 4S ( student deferments)
The Right would have simply found some othr reason to attack him if they didn't have that. If he was a Republican, the right would not have said a word about that.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#90128 Aug 24, 2013
I recall that time of the Vietnam War, pretty well...as one of you know's, i currently have a stepbrother sentenced to a wheelchair, due to Agent Orange exposure, during the war....another that served, took his own life....I lost many friends, including friends i knew, from 3rd grade to highschool.....Jane Fonda, no doubt handled her feelings about the war horribly...But, to many others that served and to those lost...it was truly an avoidable apocalypse....I knew many very good Americans, veterans included...that hated that war and that should never be confused with, not supporting our troops.......

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#90129 Aug 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Lets not forget W and his Texas Air nat guard (non) service...

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#90130 Aug 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Aside from the draft thing, and aside from the GOP wanting to keep their asses in the oval office, Clinton, like Kennedy, like FDR and like TR, aaannnndddd like Obama...were all a changing of the guard from one generation to the next and the older generation REALLY didn't want to let go. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#90131 Aug 24, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
I recall that time of the Vietnam War, pretty well...as one of you know's, i currently have a stepbrother sentenced to a wheelchair, due to Agent Orange exposure, during the war....another that served, took his own life....I lost many friends, including friends i knew, from 3rd grade to highschool.....Jane Fonda, no doubt handled her feelings about the war horribly...But, to many others that served and to those lost...it was truly an avoidable apocalypse....I knew many very good Americans, veterans included...that hated that war and that should never be confused with, not supporting our troops.......
There were so...many...steps along the way where it could have been avoided. THEN there we so many times we could have gotten out of it. The biggest single mistake of the entire thing was Johnson's unwavering support of Westmoreland. If they'd gotten rid of him earlier and changed it from a war of attrition to a conquer and hold (i forget eh actual military term) like they did after that they could have been out, successfully, in a couple of years providing that they could have and would have been willing to continue to prop up Saigon.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#90132 Aug 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
He failed to get us out, but he was murdered so we can only speculate what he would or would not have done later.

Eisenhower tried to stay out of it, but had to do what he had to do and really Truman had his fingers in it as well...as I said our involvement there started ~45. Johnson escalated it.

I think if we analyze it,(and oh god I have...) we have to lay the bulk of the blame for all of the worst parts at Johnson's feet. Gulf of Tonkin anyone? And the French...we need to blame the French too.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#90133 Aug 24, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets not forget W and his Texas Air nat guard (non) service...
What was Bammy's military service?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#90134 Aug 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Dennis Rodman?
He went to North Korea was all chummy with... Il Jung or Cream of Sum Yun Guy or whatever that leader's name is. Then came back to the states and said he was a nice guy, just young and misunderstood.

However... it was speculated that Rodman was actually spying for the US. Maybe that's why he wasn't arrested.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr shinningelectr0n 1,126,130
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 179,332
GOP Votes go 2 dem. votes. 2 hr Votes go 2 dems 1
A young black kid asks his mother, "Mama what's... 2 hr Funny But True 10
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr La Carmencita 70,068
Rediscovering Lost Photos From a Long-Ago West End 4 hr Great view 3
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Friv4games 47,494
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]