Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeebus, now kids aren't even allowed to have a pb&j sandwich??
Is this the world you want, people?
If it means a few kids with severe peanut allergies don't die as a result, I"m okay with it.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, i just don't recall many kids having so many allergies, when we were young...Hell, i drank outta the gardenhose til i was 12...lol...And your right about moneybelts...I actually took $1800 on a trip to Asia, all folded up and completely hidden.....
High school cafeteria had the normal foods, slabs of meat, mashed potatoes and gravy and milk, white and chocolate. That's it. No soda, juices or water. Don't remember anyone dropping from allergies. My favorite for 4 years was a baloney and potato chip sandwich on white bread. Still is. Our city water was from underground and was almost brown from minerals. I'm healthy... so far.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt we have any control over how society, medicine and nutrition all interact...

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
my son's syarting his second year in public school and i give him a pb sandwich every day. Never been a problem. O'm guessing it never will be until a kid with a severe allergy enrolls

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly you've never loved someone with a deadly food allergy.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

I used to think it was crazy that kids couldn't take pb&j to school because some other kid had an allergy.

But I also used to think "dry" weddings were crazy and I'd never have a dry wedding myself. Then someone in a forum I posted at before you guys existed ;) phrased it more as a "What if you have a relative you love very much and are close to, and he can't be around alcohol because of where he is in his struggle with sobriety? Do you serve alcohol and not have your favorite uncle there?"

At which point I decided I would be open to having a dry wedding reception due to those kinds of circumstances.

It's about caring about other people and putting their essential needs ahead of my fleeting wants.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

It is, my whiskers would have chafed your pretty boy skin.
Din Chara wrote:
<quoted text>The way you obsess about me it is a good thing I did not let you kiss me.
Anonymous

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

I am sympathetic when it comes to people with severe food allergies, but I think the odds of it being THAT severe that someone 20 feet away is eating 1 oz of PB in a sandwich and it affects them (and yes, I know it does happen) are slim - practically like winning the lotto. I don't think it's fair for 200 people to have to change their lives because someone MIGHT have a food allergy. I do have an issue with that. And most people (even kids) with food allergies know what to do when there is a reaction. I have a friend with a severe tree nut allergy. She taught me early on where her pen is and how to use it, too.

And I don't ever remember, in all the years I was in school, anyone EVER having a reacting on the cafeteria. And, more recently, it has never happened at my kid's school and she is in her 6th year there. The kids just aren't allowed to share food.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

Din Chara wrote:
<quoted text>WTF?!! Some people are deathly allergic to any nut product. Just being in the same room with a PB&J sandwich can KILL them. A Utah boy and a California girl have died just this year from severe nut allergic reaction.
Two examples. Out of three hundred million people? Allergies THAT severe are extremely rare. Not common enough for the rest of the world to alter their eating habits.

And one word: Darwinism.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

StinaRocks wrote:
I am sympathetic when it comes to people with severe food allergies, but I think the odds of it being THAT severe that someone 20 feet away is eating 1 oz of PB in a sandwich and it affects them (and yes, I know it does happen) are slim - practically like winning the lotto. I don't think it's fair for 200 people to have to change their lives because someone MIGHT have a food allergy. I do have an issue with that. And most people (even kids) with food allergies know what to do when there is a reaction. I have a friend with a severe tree nut allergy. She taught me early on where her pen is and how to use it, too.
And I don't ever remember, in all the years I was in school, anyone EVER having a reacting on the cafeteria. And, more recently, it has never happened at my kid's school and she is in her 6th year there. The kids just aren't allowed to share food.
I agree that kids shouldn't have to do anything different based on a "maybe." I meant that the accommodations should start when a kid with a severe allergy actually enrolls.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Computer, political and conspiracy folk.

I am not generally paranoid. But

The NASDAQ shut down this afternoon due to a computer error.
Last week Google was offline for 5-7 minutes
WaPo was hacked at about the same time

NYTimes is reporting it and Fox doesn't mention it at all.

What's going on?
Anonymous

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Din Chara wrote:
<quoted text>We've come a long way. We even have laws that say we MUST buckle up in case we MIGHT have an accident. You tell me WTF is the difference with being cautious and using food safety around allergy sufferers?
Banning something that has a lightning strike chance of hurting someone is far more than cautious. Now, don't ge tme wrong, if there were definitely a kid with a severe allergy at school, for instance, I'd be on board with that. But a blanket rule for an off chance of something happening?
Anonymous

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that kids shouldn't have to do anything different based on a "maybe." I meant that the accommodations should start when a kid with a severe allergy actually enrolls.
That, to me, makes sense. I have NO problem with that!

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I've mentioned my cousin before, with tons of self-diagnosed issues for both herself and her son. Well, now he is starting kindergarten and she is having lots of problems with the school because they are refusing to make special accommodations (like banning everyone from bringing PB sandwiches) without something from the kid's doctor. PB is a fairly cheap, nutritious choice for lunch and it could possibly make an impact on people's budgets if they are forced to find a replacement. I'm fine with that if it is legit, but don't see why others should have to make changes like that just to satisfy her constant need for attention.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Computer, political and conspiracy folk.
I am not generally paranoid. But
The NASDAQ shut down this afternoon due to a computer error.
Last week Google was offline for 5-7 minutes
WaPo was hacked at about the same time
NYTimes is reporting it and Fox doesn't mention it at all.
What's going on?
Lean Cuisine's website also got hacked. Someone hacked and raided a few people's "delicious rewards" points.;)~(true story! I belong to their program)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

StinaRocks wrote:
<quoted text>
Banning something that has a lightning strike chance of hurting someone is far more than cautious. Now, don't ge tme wrong, if there were definitely a kid with a severe allergy at school, for instance, I'd be on board with that. But a blanket rule for an off chance of something happening?
ITA.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

itser wrote:
<quoted text>I think I've mentioned my cousin before, with tons of self-diagnosed issues for both herself and her son. Well, now he is starting kindergarten and she is having lots of problems with the school because they are refusing to make special accommodations (like banning everyone from bringing PB sandwiches) without something from the kid's doctor. PB is a fairly cheap, nutritious choice for lunch and it could possibly make an impact on people's budgets if they are forced to find a replacement. I'm fine with that if it is legit, but don't see why others should have to make changes like that just to satisfy her constant need for attention.
Good for the school for standing up to her!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

OMFG. I just got this email:

So it’s the longest story ever but one of the guys we got a bid from for the backyard (patio, reshaping, sidewalk, etc.) apparently just showed up at our house with his crew yesterday and destroyed our backyard, including the sidewalk and everything! We haven’t talked to the guy in like three weeks and the last time we did we told him that we would keep him posted on our plans, that we weren’t sure we were even going to do it at all (or with him). our yard is destroyed. We came home to two bobcats and I almost fell over. It is so sad. No more grass back there, no more anything. Ugh. It was a night of dave and I taking turn being angry and then being a cheerleader. Haha. anyway, dave is home today dealing with “frank.”

I told her to sue his sorry a$$ for every penny they can get, then hire someone else to fix the mess he made.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Two examples. Out of three hundred million people? Allergies THAT severe are extremely rare. Not common enough for the rest of the world to alter their eating habits.
And one word: Darwinism.
I have two words for you: F*ck you

It is my child and husband you are speaking about and I don't think taking a few simple precautions is too much to ask.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

Din Chara wrote:
<quoted text>You are a moron, too. You just don't get it. You must be the reason it is written on every meat package that it's a good idea to wash your hands after meat handling. Yet I bet you are the one that does not wash after you maul meat.
You obviously have reading comprehension issues. I'm so sorry. Your mom must be really proud of you being able to use the internet with your intellectual disabilities.

I think it's STUPID to tell an entire school they can't have pb&j sandwiches in their lunches because a kid MIGHT be allergic. Now, if there's a kid in school who has a serious allergy that is so bad, he can't be in the same room with a pb&J sandwich, then fine, make a rule.

But until then, no school has any business banning them just to be "safe." It's on the parents of the allergic kid to make the school aware.

Now go away. YOu're not wanted here if you're just going to be such an idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 88,661 - 88,680 of96,073
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

35 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min No Surprize 1,033,346
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 9 min JOEL COOL DUDE 65,077
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 25 min Roxie Darling 4,027
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr DDDD-25 42,962
Abby 4-17 1 hr ScarletandOlive 32
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Learn to Read 167,507
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 hr Dusty Mangina 47,034
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]