Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#89740 Aug 19, 2013
PEllen wrote:
It's noon. I'll get the columns
Thanks, Pellen! I've been so busy this AM, I jsut noticed!

VADame, Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

So is everyone still fighting?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#89741 Aug 19, 2013
Stina wrote:
Dems fightin words!

Thanks for finally posting the columns, slacker monkeys! It's only noon, FGS!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#89742 Aug 19, 2013
VAdame wrote:
Congratulate me everybody (or at least, congratulate my oldest granddaughter Mira!)- at 2:55 this AM she gave birth to a 7 lb. 6 oz. baby boy:-)
I was always a *good* grandma -- now I'm a GREAT one!
('Scuse me, operating on very little sleep here...zzzzzzzzz)
Good for you and much luck for the baby.

It feels very weird to know that someone I think of as a contemporary is a Great Grandma

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89743 Aug 19, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Pellen! I've been so busy this AM, I jsut noticed!
VADame, Congrats!!!!!!!!!!
http://imgur.com/smpbW3H posted above.

People seem to have gone into their respective corners, but wait until after dark to see if it holds.

BTW, if anyone has any doubts about my point of view, this meme cuts both ways.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#89744 Aug 19, 2013
Hey, is my new avatar showing? My work computer doesn't show anyone's pics so I can't tell and I wanted everyone to see the pedicure I got while at the beach yesterday.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#89748 Aug 19, 2013
Din Chara wrote:
<quoted text>I do not know who or what you would know. You can google what the pay scale is but I can tell you it is in the 6 figures. All occupations are here. Do you think all posters are unemployed? Too many products and services to list and many in the medical field... you need to learn to use GOOGLE.
https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/need-...

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4727790_paid-for...
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#89749 Aug 19, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Hey, is my new avatar showing? My work computer doesn't show anyone's pics so I can't tell and I wanted everyone to see the pedicure I got while at the beach yesterday.
HOLY! COW!!!! You have feet???? Who knew?!?!?!:)
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#89750 Aug 19, 2013
Din Chara wrote:
<quoted text>I do not know who or what you would know. You can google what the pay scale is but I can tell you it is in the 6 figures. All occupations are here. Do you think all posters are unemployed? Too many products and services to list and many in the medical field... you need to learn to use GOOGLE.
You seem very defensive. He didn't ask what they were paid, but what they were paid to DO. He was just asking a question. Just learning. Just like I asked what a goat rodeo was a couple of weeks ago. I could have googled it, but it's just as easy to ask and I am more likely to get a more interesting and informative answer.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#89751 Aug 19, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Yes, thanks for posting a picture of your foot.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#89752 Aug 19, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem very defensive. He didn't ask what they were paid, but what they were paid to DO. He was just asking a question. Just learning. Just like I asked what a goat rodeo was a couple of weeks ago. I could have googled it, but it's just as easy to ask and I am more likely to get a more interesting and informative answer.
I guess Race's question kinda "bugged" him a little.

Evanston IL

#89753 Aug 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, thanks for posting a picture of your foot.
I guess you can't see the rocks that Nunu jammed between my toes while giving me my pedi. She was so into it, I didn't want to tell her that those rocks kinda hurt.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89754 Aug 19, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you can't see the rocks that Nunu jammed between my toes while giving me my pedi. She was so into it, I didn't want to tell her that those rocks kinda hurt.
Speaking of which, how is the ankle doing?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#89755 Aug 19, 2013
Din Chara wrote:
<quoted text>And at least caller id has eliminated most prank phone calls.
And, sadly, bomb threats to schools on test day.

Yes, we had that back in the '80s. Nicely timed, each year.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#89756 Aug 19, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool/cute!:) I can see the rocks when I click on the picture and blow it up a bit.

Evanston IL

#89757 Aug 19, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Speaking of which, how is the ankle doing?
It seems that the pain is really in my foot and not so much the ankle, but it's better, thanks for asking. I'm only limping a little, mostly when I get up from long stretches of sitting. I've been trying to keep wiggling it while I sit at the desk so it doesn't stiffen up on me so badly.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#89760 Aug 19, 2013
Din Chara wrote:
It was an offensive post. Bug peeps, indeed. And WTF is it to you anyways? Are you the moderator here or just a buttinsky?
If you're gonna post something in a public forum, people are gonna voice their opinions. Grow a stronger exoskeleton.

So, if you find a bug in your house, do you kill it or release it back into the wild? What if you saw a caterpillar crawling towards a spider web? Would you intervene to save the caterpillar, or would you let the spider eat a meal? Do you own bug spray? A fly swatter? When you go camping, do you use insect repellant?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89762 Aug 19, 2013
Din Chara wrote:
<quoted text>It was an offensive post. Bug peeps, indeed. And WTF is it to you anyways? Are you the moderator here or just a buttinsky?
No, no. I'm the resident bossypants. Stina just fills in for me when I am getting a life.

Race's inquiry was phrased colloquially. You will need to ask him if he intended to be offensive, but it didn't sound that way. Research entomology is not a common occupation and it is not clear where it fits in the general constellation of work.

Possible answers could have included:
1. I am in academics (we have a couple of people like that around)
2. Industrial applications mostly- that could cover anything from working at a pet food company to develop cat food which does not attract pantry moths (my current personal bane) to be an Orkin Man who searches for termites.
3. It's an avocation these days. The implication could be that you have a net and pith helmet and chase butterflies.

It wasn't an interrogation; it was an interested inquiry about a new guy who has self identified an unusual ocupation.

I have to agree with Stina: no need to be defensive.

You can always just ignore or deflect the question.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#89763 Aug 19, 2013
Din Chara wrote:
<quoted text>if they want to dish it then they need to stop crying about my response being defensive. You can think i need a stronger exoskeleton if you want. I am not the one CRYING.
WTF do you care what I do? I am against repellent because that and RoundUp is doing more harm than good. I use natural repellents. And spell check.
You mean you guys were really talking about bug repellents? I'll agree that Roudup and other chemical strong repellents do more harm. I do use natural repellents on my garden but I use Off for skeeters.

I thought "bugs" was code for something much more interesting but I was too lazy to scan back to find what the original posts were about.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#89764 Aug 19, 2013
I dont care what you make (did I ask that?) I was just wondering why someone would pay you to dissect bugs. Why google when I have you, the local expert?
Din Chara wrote:

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#89765 Aug 19, 2013
Ok, that was good.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess Race's question kinda "bugged" him a little.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min WelbyMD 182,133
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 min Mothra 49,336
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,156,054
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 26 min KiMare 51,293
For a meat-centric dinner, meet at Skrine Chops (Jan '08) 5 hr Reddog 6
delhi female 7 hr yatharth 1
Fight at Navy Pier 8 hr joey 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]