Topix Chitown Regulars

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#89688 Aug 16, 2013
RACE wrote:
That would still be you.
Weekend: I have to try and raise 8ft of my dock out of the canal. The airdock was a complete disaster. Since my outboard is on a jack plate the bladders never lifted it out of the water, instead it tipped the boat skyward. I looked like a missle. So after 2 days of trying to beat the laws of physics I gave up. And then a section of my dock gave out! I knew it was coming, but I did not expect the severity. Now I have to improvise a way to get it out of the water, so I can bust it up and get rid of it.
<quoted text>
Skyhooks? I'm kidding. I wish you the best of luck with this problem. I had quite a mental picture of the boat tipped up.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#89689 Aug 16, 2013
squishymama wrote:
So on Wednesday walking back from lunch, I stepped in a hole while crossing the street. Took my eye off the ball for one second and BAM! stepped right in it, fell off my shoe and twisted my foot up real good (I heard something pop) but I did not fall down! So I thought I had dodged a bullet; my foot didn't really hurt (in fact if felt pretty good for awhile-it's the same foot with the plantar facitis) and I got through my regular afternoon work duties with no problem...until it was time to leave. I made it to the train with some mild discomfort, made it through the train ride with growing pain, by the time I made it to my MIL's I was limping heavily and by the time I made to my own front door, I was crying. So I've spent the last day and a half, basically laying on the couch with my foot up and cold packs tucked around it. I had to use a cane on Wednesday evening to get to the bathroom-so depressing.
So this weekend I will taking it easy, even though the chores are piling up. I think we're having another steakout in the courtyard and I'm thinking about sitting in the wagon and having the kids pull *me* to the beach.
That sucks!

What'd you think of that article by the white dad/teacher on what white kids think of race?(not RACE, but race) I thought it was a good jumping point for a discussion on race.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#89690 Aug 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That sucks!
What'd you think of that article by the white dad/teacher on what white kids think of race?(not RACE, but race) I thought it was a good jumping point for a discussion on race.
It was a good, even for me, who lives in the middle ground of this conversation. It's an awkward conversation to have with kids, in general, but we wade in as best we can.

I shared it, and have gotten several thank yous from my white-parent friends.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#89691 Aug 16, 2013
If I had them, I would use them.
Trying to rig 2 2x6 from seawall to the top of the piling and using a come-a-long to raise it. But I have to wrap a chain around the 2x6's and another under the sunken dock (which is under water obviously). Then not bust my a** trying to raise it.
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Skyhooks? I'm kidding. I wish you the best of luck with this problem. I had quite a mental picture of the boat tipped up.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#89692 Aug 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That sucks!
You know I didn't read it (as you know from my FB postings yesterday I was knee deep in walking all over all 850 acres of campus when I didn't need to be there!) but I'd like to weigh in on talking to kids (mixed kids esp.) about race. It may not be apropos to the article...

When Chris was small, pretty early on, maybe about age 4... I started talking to him about how he was special because he wasn't just ONE thing, he was a really nice mixture of pretty much the whole world, but the one thing that came through the most easily to recognize was the Asian, which is why he was so gorgeous and had a really nice skin ton. We called it a permanent tan...his words, not mine.

Anyway as he got older I eventually just taught him (my words) that "some people are just dooshes and will decide that they dislike you by nothing more than looking at you. If they are that shallow then they would make snap judgements about other things and are pretty much intellectually lacking, so really you're dodging a bullet not even wasting your time with them in the first place."

<shrug>

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#89693 Aug 16, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right about one thing....
So you're not a man?

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#89694 Aug 16, 2013
tone*

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#89695 Aug 16, 2013
squishymama wrote:
So on Wednesday walking back from lunch, I stepped in a hole while crossing the street. Took my eye off the ball for one second and BAM! stepped right in it, fell off my shoe and twisted my foot up real good (I heard something pop) but I did not fall down! So I thought I had dodged a bullet; my foot didn't really hurt (in fact if felt pretty good for awhile-it's the same foot with the plantar facitis) and I got through my regular afternoon work duties with no problem...until it was time to leave. I made it to the train with some mild discomfort, made it through the train ride with growing pain, by the time I made it to my MIL's I was limping heavily and by the time I made to my own front door, I was crying. So I've spent the last day and a half, basically laying on the couch with my foot up and cold packs tucked around it. I had to use a cane on Wednesday evening to get to the bathroom-so depressing.
So this weekend I will taking it easy, even though the chores are piling up. I think we're having another steakout in the courtyard and I'm thinking about sitting in the wagon and having the kids pull *me* to the beach.
Ouch! Bad sprain? Those hurt.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#89696 Aug 16, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
You know I didn't read it (as you know from my FB postings yesterday I was knee deep in walking all over all 850 acres of campus when I didn't need to be there!) but I'd like to weigh in on talking to kids (mixed kids esp.) about race. It may not be apropos to the article...
When Chris was small, pretty early on, maybe about age 4... I started talking to him about how he was special because he wasn't just ONE thing, he was a really nice mixture of pretty much the whole world, but the one thing that came through the most easily to recognize was the Asian, which is why he was so gorgeous and had a really nice skin ton. We called it a permanent tan...his words, not mine.
Anyway as he got older I eventually just taught him (my words) that "some people are just dooshes and will decide that they dislike you by nothing more than looking at you. If they are that shallow then they would make snap judgements about other things and are pretty much intellectually lacking, so really you're dodging a bullet not even wasting your time with them in the first place."
<shrug>
That's a good way of putting it.

West Palm Beach, FL

#89697 Aug 16, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Weekend plans?
Today is National Bratwurst Day! Half-priced brats at one of the restaurants downtown so that's dinner tonight.

Going to the Marlins game on Sunday.

I'm taking today and Monday off just to use up my last two vacation days before I lose them, and it's kind of nice having extra time to run errands without feeling like I *have* to get anything in particular done today.

Evanston IL

#89698 Aug 16, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Ouch! Bad sprain? Those hurt.
Yes. Yes, it does. And of course there's no obvious wound or bruise, so I feel like I'm being really wimpy, but dammit! it hurts.

Evanston IL

#89699 Aug 16, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a good way of putting it.
Yeah, I like how she put it too and I'm going to use it with my kids. Even though we live in a very diverse area, they will eventually encounter some BS and I want them prepared for it.

Location hidden

#89700 Aug 16, 2013
I am loving Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines," but also "Royals" by the teen girl out of New Zealond:

Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#89701 Aug 16, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Yes, it does. And of course there's no obvious wound or bruise, so I feel like I'm being really wimpy, but dammit! it hurts.
My friend did a similar thing leaving work and it ended up broken in a couple of places. She had to be in a cast for MONTHS and had surgery. Not fun in FL in summer! I felt bad for her. And it was her right foot so she couldn't drive.

I hope it gets better quick! Take it easy!

Evanston IL

#89702 Aug 16, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend did a similar thing leaving work and it ended up broken in a couple of places. She had to be in a cast for MONTHS and had surgery. Not fun in FL in summer! I felt bad for her. And it was her right foot so she couldn't drive.
Thanks Stina!

And I'm hoping that I haven't broken anything; I don't have the money for that!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#89703 Aug 16, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, that's not good.

Squishy -- go get an xray! Sprains, though, can hurt much worse than an actual break. You are not being wimpy.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#89704 Aug 16, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, that's not good.
Squishy -- go get an xray! Sprains, though, can hurt much worse than an actual break. You are not being wimpy.
Toj is right, squishy! I've done both, and I think the sprain was tougher!

Location hidden

#89705 Aug 16, 2013
I feel like sprains suck more than a break because there's less they can DO for a sprain.

Evanston IL

#89706 Aug 16, 2013
Yea! Yea! Yea!

Nunu got the kindergarten teacher she wanted!!!

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#89707 Aug 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I am loving Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines," but also "Royals" by the teen girl out of New Zealond:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LFasFq4GJYMXX
Angela HotMail...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min RayOne 192,416
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min DBWriter 1,252,138
aggy-6-30-15 1 hr RACE 14
Dear Abby July 3, 2015 1 hr RACE 8
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr RACE 6,148
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr RACE 1,670
Ask Amy 7-5-15 1 hr RACE 6
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages