Comments
88,041 - 88,060 of 97,948 Comments Last updated Sunday

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#89301 Aug 9, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
That's right, Red.
There really is no proven medicinal value to alcohol.
We think weed has been criminalized due to decades of inbred ignorance and intolerance.
And that the government will have a very difficult time regulating and collecting taxes on a plant that can essentially be grown almost anywhere.
We believe that the alcohol poison industry is complict in the continued suppression of marijuana, as well as Big Pharma, as the legalization of pot will erode their profits.
Maybe not.

I was in college 1967-71. Weed was rampant at U of IL.One of the rumors that went around campus was that the big tobacco companies had copyrighted all the street names for the various grades of weed, for example, Peoria Purple and Acapulco Gold. We knew then that there were grades, that some was stronger, some might be laced with things .

If the tobacco companies had been able to push for legalization they would have done so especially because they have a strong financial incentive with the demonization of smoking tobacco.

IMO, the anti weed movement is the last remnant of the same prudery that pushed Prohibition. Some mind sets last a long time

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#89302 Aug 9, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
He has a viewpoint and won't move consider anything else as "new" information for him to perhaps broaden his views.
He says: "Do you know why we don't see potheads out in public? It's because they're sitting at home smoking weed and staring at their television sets or playing video games all day. Do you have any idea how many marijuana addicts I encounter at my rehab on a daily basis? They talk about wanting to be productive. But what pot does is it kills their motivation -- it destroys people's ability to go out and work and to have a career. It makes them want to do nothing but lie around all day. Is that what you want for your children? Is that what you want for your loved ones?"
I find this interesting. In the last year I've learned there are different kinds of weed. Some variation give you more energy, some put you right to sleep, etc. I never knew there was different kinds like that. I don't smoke weed so I'm sure there's plenty I really don't know about it. And I don't think -- although I'm not sure -- it's not that the weed is cut with anything, there are different variations of how it was grown, where, etc.
Anyone else know about this? B/c that's about all I know about it and I know it's not much.
It's totally true. The different varieties have names that you can look up to find out that specific versions' benefits.

I've had weed that had me cleaning out my linen closet and wiping down the tops of the door jams. I called that stuff m&m: Motivational Marijuana.

Location hidden

#89303 Aug 9, 2013
I never would have thought that we'd have legal gay marriage in more states than have legal marijuana.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#89304 Aug 9, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and the dude's a doosh and he's full ofshit. LOTS of people who smoke pot function just fine, have jobs, pay their rent, pay their bills, feed their kids, etc., etc., etc. What a total piece of crap lying full of bullshitcrap pretentious ignorant know it all douchebag.
Do I sound annoyed?
You have such a way with words! My feelings exactly.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#89305 Aug 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
This is something I would like to try.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/man-wri...
Awesome! And they agreed to it when they opened the account!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#89306 Aug 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
It's totally true. The different varieties have names that you can look up to find out that specific versions' benefits.
I've had weed that had me cleaning out my linen closet and wiping down the tops of the door jams. I called that stuff m&m: Motivational Marijuana.
Well, see -- there is another reason for legalization. Those poor people he knew who could not get medicinal marijuana were obviously smoking the wrong blend.

Plus -- if they had the medicinal marijuana, perhaps they could eat it instead of smoke it. I saw a special where they have all kinds of candies and treats made with weed.

A friend on my bus (really an aquaintance -- a "commuter friend") tells me that TV show Weeds is hilarious and have I ever seen it? Never have but after her description, when I get some free time I might see last season on On Demand.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#89307 Aug 9, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, see -- there is another reason for legalization. Those poor people he knew who could not get medicinal marijuana were obviously smoking the wrong blend.
Plus -- if they had the medicinal marijuana, perhaps they could eat it instead of smoke it. I saw a special where they have all kinds of candies and treats made with weed.
A friend on my bus (really an aquaintance -- a "commuter friend") tells me that TV show Weeds is hilarious and have I ever seen it? Never have but after her description, when I get some free time I might see last season on On Demand.
It should just be legal. Full stop. It's just a Puritan control everyone prohibition the Hearsts own the timer industry get more money for the robber barons BS thing. Seriously. Sick of hearing about how it's less harmful than alcohol (it is, just tired of hearing it), blah, blah, blah. Everyone knows that it's been falsely portrayed for almost a century. Time to just get the hell over it and legalize it. There is really no good argument against it.

On a side note. I had some Acapulco Gold in HS. All I can say is O....M....G! It was freaking awesome as I recall. A friend's mom had like an ounce, and while she was contributing to our delinquency, we smoked, baked and ate, and made it into tea. I think I was high for the whole week from just one sleep over.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#89308 Aug 9, 2013
*timBer

Miami, FL

#89309 Aug 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
Weekend Plans?
Going to a food truck thing tonight with D and another couple. We have a sharing strategy planned so we can each try the maximum number of different items.

No specific plans for the rest of the weekend but I've had Django Unchained from Netflix for weeks so we'll probably finally watch that. It's been tough because it's such a long movie, plus we were on a mission to catch up on Breaking Bad before the new episodes start this Sunday.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#89310 Aug 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
Weekend Plans?
Tonight: Probably a quick trip to Target to get some milk for Saturday morning.

Sat: We're having a morning playdate in the park with a bunch of kids that the girls went to preschool with. I have to laugh because we call them the Robert Crown Regulars. One of the families is bringing donuts, so we're bringing the milk. Can't have donuts without milk!

Don't know about the afternoon. Maybe the beach if the weather is nice...For sure we have to have a cookout (or as my girls say, a steakout) because we have ribs and corn on the cob that will go bad if we don't cook them soon.

Sun: One last trip to my mom's. She had a ton of storage shelving in the basement and they can't use it all in their new, smaller space so I'm going to take some of them off their hands. My storage units will LOVE me.

Then probably an afternoon trip to Target for ourselves.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#89311 Aug 9, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
It should just be legal. Full stop. It's just a Puritan control everyone prohibition the Hearsts own the timer industry get more money for the robber barons BS thing. Seriously. Sick of hearing about how it's less harmful than alcohol (it is, just tired of hearing it), blah, blah, blah. Everyone knows that it's been falsely portrayed for almost a century. Time to just get the hell over it and legalize it. There is really no good argument against it.
On a side note. I had some Acapulco Gold in HS. All I can say is O....M....G! It was freaking awesome as I recall. A friend's mom had like an ounce, and while she was contributing to our delinquency, we smoked, baked and ate, and made it into tea. I think I was high for the whole week from just one sleep over.
Good times!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#89312 Aug 9, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
That's right, Red.
There really is no proven medicinal value to alcohol.
We think weed has been criminalized due to decades of inbred ignorance and intolerance.
And that the government will have a very difficult time regulating and collecting taxes on a plant that can essentially be grown almost anywhere.
We believe that the alcohol poison industry is complict in the continued suppression of marijuana, as well as Big Pharma, as the legalization of pot will erode their profits.
I might add, that Big Tobacco is very complicit, also...I grew up in the Late 60's, and we alway's thought, wait till our generation got in, all the BS about pot would stop...turn's out the truth about marijuana was blocked by money to our own politicians....and our own government carried on with a ton of propaganda and lies about it's dangers....U.S. History has shown, prohibitions don't really work well in our society.....We still wanna be free to decide on our own.........
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#89313 Aug 9, 2013
Had a CT this morning (to double check nodule).
I have never done contrast and I loathe needles! Plus, no numbing cream, lol. I was a baby "ow, ow, ow!"
Came home with every intention of cleaning house, but bought soup and slept in recliner. Tummy been a wee bit funky for a few days, especially after I eat.

Date tomorrow; church and park on Sunday.
Last weekend of freedom...teachers return to work on Monday (boo).

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89314 Aug 9, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Tonight: Probably a quick trip to Target to get some milk for Saturday morning.
Sat: We're having a morning playdate in the park with a bunch of kids that the girls went to preschool with. I have to laugh because we call them the Robert Crown Regulars. One of the families is bringing donuts, so we're bringing the milk. Can't have donuts without milk!
Don't know about the afternoon. Maybe the beach if the weather is nice...For sure we have to have a cookout (or as my girls say, a steakout) because we have ribs and corn on the cob that will go bad if we don't cook them soon.
Sun: One last trip to my mom's. She had a ton of storage shelving in the basement and they can't use it all in their new, smaller space so I'm going to take some of them off their hands. My storage units will LOVE me.
Then probably an afternoon trip to Target for ourselves.
My girls are 27 and almost 24. Both went to daycare. Last evening I was in teh Verizon store and this guy keeps looking at me and looking at me, and finally I ask Do i know you? As soon as he spoke, I realized who he was. It was one of the dads from day care, almost 20 yers since we saw each other last. The parents look the sae, but , ah the kid is somewhat bigger.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#89315 Aug 9, 2013
That's right, Blue.
Nicotine is classified as a narcotic, if I am not mistaken.
We think cigarettes and alcohol are stepping stones to harder drugs as much or more so than marijuana.

It has really been stigmatized and driven underground over the years.
The circles of pot smokers have become very tight and hard to indentify.
People are very good at keeping it hidden from view.
And the law has a vested interest in keeping it illegal as it generates a steady supply of 'criminals' who might happen to get sucked into the legal system and unmercifully bled dry of their finances by lawyers.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89316 Aug 9, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Going to a food truck thing tonight with D and another couple. We have a sharing strategy planned so we can each try the maximum number of different items.
No specific plans for the rest of the weekend but I've had Django Unchained from Netflix for weeks so we'll probably finally watch that. It's been tough because it's such a long movie, plus we were on a mission to catch up on Breaking Bad before the new episodes start this Sunday.
I must have missed this- how was the party last weekend? How did your feet do? How did the dress go over? Were you properly appreciated?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#89317 Aug 9, 2013
It was an easy path for Law Enforcement to force the situation with suspects....a joint or even a roach, was reasonable grounds to investigate more and more.....Geez, as i recall Texas still may have guys serving 10-20, for an ounce......

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89318 Aug 9, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
People are very good at keeping it hidden from view.
And the law has a vested interest in keeping it illegal as it generates a steady supply of 'criminals' who might happen to get sucked into the legal system and unmercifully bled dry of their finances by lawyers.
Have you ever seen the bills that are generated from a medium level ER visit?

There is the hospital charge
There is the attending ER doc charge who is part of the group which has the big sign that says he is not an employee or part of the hospital, just some dude in scrubs who wandered in off the street who sends you a bill.
There is the radiologist who sends a separate bill. She too is one of those people who are not employees of the hospital but just someone who wandered in to pres buttons and move you around on the table.

Then you get the bill and see that there is list price and the 65% discount given to Big Bad Blue Insurance

Before you take off after the legal profession for bleeding people dry, keep in mind the d medical industrial insurance complex could teach them a thing or two

Location hidden

#89319 Aug 9, 2013
Nick has been sick for a few days, so no date night tonight. I'm gonna drink, maybe, and game, maybe take the cats outside (especially Mia). Rose lasts five minutes then freaks out and wants back in.

Tomorrow, whatever I want until I go to Nick's at 5 to do a fish fry with the boys -- the fish we've caught so far this summer up at the cabin.

Sunday: More of my own stuff.

Plan to make SW chicken and bean soup this weekend.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89320 Aug 9, 2013
I got fed up with my freezer and have done an inventory. I found 2 cryovacced salmon steaks from when my husband went fishing in Alaska in 2009, 2 Omaha steak strip steaks to go with my last one from Costco and only 3 freezer bags of stuff I cannot identify until it defrosts enough for me to see and/or taste.

Several half used bags of frozen vegetables and some Morningstar fake chicken strips from when my eldest wouldn't eat meat, circa 2008.

Oh and the leftover pumpkin from last year when I made pies from scratch and had too much pumpkin. It will go well with the package of cocktail pumpernickel squares- ageless.

The racks in the door have homemade pesto- still good as long as top oil layer is scraped off and a bag of "watermelon" tea from a Victorian tea shop that went out of business maybe 15 years ago.The door also holds all my open bags of nuts- but those I know abut and are good and in use regularly... except for maybe the little bag of peanut topping for sundaes that I didn't remember ever buying.

Now I am going to reprint the inventory so I know what I have. I don't think I will buy meat for maybe 3 months.

Oh the joys of middle aged suburban life.

However. Saturday I' m going to see Cabaret ( at Cahn), Sunday is a friend/ colleagues 90th birthday party and Wednesday we are seeing Jungle Book- a stage musical made from the old Disney movie.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 9 min KiMare 49,489
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 18 min the wandering girl 4,684
Crack and the Social, Moral, and Economic Decay... 1 hr joey 2
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Stu Rumsfeld 1,101,343
HKN Record Label Need UpComing Artist Call_0803... 3 hr mr innocent 1
Word (Dec '08) 3 hr andet1987 4,664
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr litesong 46,375
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr LRS 177,520
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••