Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#89317 Aug 9, 2013
It was an easy path for Law Enforcement to force the situation with suspects....a joint or even a roach, was reasonable grounds to investigate more and more.....Geez, as i recall Texas still may have guys serving 10-20, for an ounce......

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#89318 Aug 9, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
People are very good at keeping it hidden from view.
And the law has a vested interest in keeping it illegal as it generates a steady supply of 'criminals' who might happen to get sucked into the legal system and unmercifully bled dry of their finances by lawyers.
Have you ever seen the bills that are generated from a medium level ER visit?

There is the hospital charge
There is the attending ER doc charge who is part of the group which has the big sign that says he is not an employee or part of the hospital, just some dude in scrubs who wandered in off the street who sends you a bill.
There is the radiologist who sends a separate bill. She too is one of those people who are not employees of the hospital but just someone who wandered in to pres buttons and move you around on the table.

Then you get the bill and see that there is list price and the 65% discount given to Big Bad Blue Insurance

Before you take off after the legal profession for bleeding people dry, keep in mind the d medical industrial insurance complex could teach them a thing or two

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#89319 Aug 9, 2013
Nick has been sick for a few days, so no date night tonight. I'm gonna drink, maybe, and game, maybe take the cats outside (especially Mia). Rose lasts five minutes then freaks out and wants back in.

Tomorrow, whatever I want until I go to Nick's at 5 to do a fish fry with the boys -- the fish we've caught so far this summer up at the cabin.

Sunday: More of my own stuff.

Plan to make SW chicken and bean soup this weekend.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89320 Aug 9, 2013
I got fed up with my freezer and have done an inventory. I found 2 cryovacced salmon steaks from when my husband went fishing in Alaska in 2009, 2 Omaha steak strip steaks to go with my last one from Costco and only 3 freezer bags of stuff I cannot identify until it defrosts enough for me to see and/or taste.

Several half used bags of frozen vegetables and some Morningstar fake chicken strips from when my eldest wouldn't eat meat, circa 2008.

Oh and the leftover pumpkin from last year when I made pies from scratch and had too much pumpkin. It will go well with the package of cocktail pumpernickel squares- ageless.

The racks in the door have homemade pesto- still good as long as top oil layer is scraped off and a bag of "watermelon" tea from a Victorian tea shop that went out of business maybe 15 years ago.The door also holds all my open bags of nuts- but those I know abut and are good and in use regularly... except for maybe the little bag of peanut topping for sundaes that I didn't remember ever buying.

Now I am going to reprint the inventory so I know what I have. I don't think I will buy meat for maybe 3 months.

Oh the joys of middle aged suburban life.

However. Saturday I' m going to see Cabaret ( at Cahn), Sunday is a friend/ colleagues 90th birthday party and Wednesday we are seeing Jungle Book- a stage musical made from the old Disney movie.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#89322 Aug 9, 2013
i stayed home from work to wait (and wait and wait) for a landscape contractor to get here. when i called him ealrier this week, he said he'd be here by 10. by 10.30, not here so i called. he said 1 or 1.30 (i forget). it was 2.15 by the time he got here, and was, frankly, kinda snippy wehn he went over some of the plans.

oh well. i did a bunch of sewing and puttering. it's time to start digging out the crap so that we have places for boys to eat and a free path to their toys. as much as i try to keep corners and certain spots clear, it never seems to stay that way... if it weren't for houseguests, we'd never do what passes for deep cleaning around here!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#89323 Aug 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
I got fed up with my freezer and have done an inventory. I found 2 cryovacced salmon steaks from when my husband went fishing in Alaska in 2009, 2 Omaha steak strip steaks to go with my last one from Costco and only 3 freezer bags of stuff I cannot identify until it defrosts enough for me to see and/or taste.

Several half used bags of frozen vegetables and some Morningstar fake chicken strips from when my eldest wouldn't eat meat, circa 2008.

Oh and the leftover pumpkin from last year when I made pies from scratch and had too much pumpkin. It will go well with the package of cocktail pumpernickel squares- ageless.

The racks in the door have homemade pesto- still good as long as top oil layer is scraped off and a bag of "watermelon" tea from a Victorian tea shop that went out of business maybe 15 years ago.The door also holds all my open bags of nuts- but those I know abut and are good and in use regularly... except for maybe the little bag of peanut topping for sundaes that I didn't remember ever buying.

Now I am going to reprint the inventory so I know what I have. I don't think I will buy meat for maybe 3 months.

Oh the joys of middle aged suburban life.

However. Saturday I' m going to see Cabaret ( at Cahn), Sunday is a friend/ colleagues 90th birthday party and Wednesday we are seeing Jungle Book- a stage musical made from the old Disney movie.
My parents had a deep freezer and when I was about 18 or 19, they let me clear it out. In it? Rainbow trout we had caught at a trout farm/amusement park in the Ozarks when I was 10. Dogpatch USA. It's now defunct.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#89324 Aug 9, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>Going to a food truck thing tonight with D and another couple. We have a sharing strategy planned so we can each try the maximum number of different items.

No specific plans for the rest of the weekend but I've had Django Unchained from Netflix for weeks so we'll probably finally watch that. It's been tough because it's such a long movie, plus we were on a mission to catch up on Breaking Bad before the new episodes start this Sunday.
The food truck thing is happening here, too. A couple Brits did one of those Internet startup fundraisers and they cook in an old double decker English bus and you can dine in the upstairs part. It's called "Two Blokes and a Bus". Not super cheap, but I've had really good food there.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#89325 Aug 9, 2013
I don't always bathe. But when I do, I do it in Pepsi.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/man-tak...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89326 Aug 9, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I don't always bathe. But when I do, I do it in Pepsi.
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/man-tak...
Do you go on reddit?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#89327 Aug 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you go on reddit?
Not by any habit. I'm sure a link has delivered me there now and then.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#89328 Aug 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
Weekend Plans?
Well I *was* gonna catch one of those "weekend get away" flights to Ft. Lauderdale...hang out, eat some steak, maybe a little lobster/mango salad...some nice red wine... sigh ...

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#89329 Aug 10, 2013
The lawyer's creed, as officers of the court, have been conditioned to punish people financially when they have problems with the law and seek their councel.

My step-father is an attorney.
His retainer on a DUI 20 years ago was $5,0000 dollars.
I thought that was rather steep, and when I asked him why it was so much he told me that money was the only thing people understand.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#89330 Aug 10, 2013
I never had a DUI.
It's just that we often talked about the law and its cast of characters.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#89331 Aug 10, 2013
I guess what he was saying is that by charging so much money outside the courtroom, it is their way of trying to alter the behavior of some people so they will not come back for the same thing.

West Palm Beach, FL

#89332 Aug 10, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I must have missed this- how was the party last weekend? How did your feet do? How did the dress go over? Were you properly appreciated?
Haha, it went fine. The shoe training definitely paid off and there were seats available too so I had no problems.

I love the dress. D loved it too.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#89333 Aug 10, 2013
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#89334 Aug 10, 2013
Help, folks!
So I had my 4th date with this guy. We get along smashingly and share almost every value.
But--at times (not always) his breath is a bit strong. Now, I know this is a deal-breaker for some, but I am 36 and would hate to break a potential guy because of one fixable thing.
I'm pretty sure it's due to a dry mouth and nerves (google it), but how do you bring it up (which I know he'd fix) without being too mean or rude?

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#89335 Aug 10, 2013
They killed the kidnapper and recovered the girl alive. Yay!

http://www.examiner.com/article/amber-alert-c...

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#89336 Aug 10, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Help, folks!
So I had my 4th date with this guy. We get along smashingly and share almost every value.
But--at times (not always) his breath is a bit strong. Now, I know this is a deal-breaker for some, but I am 36 and would hate to break a potential guy because of one fixable thing.
I'm pretty sure it's due to a dry mouth and nerves (google it), but how do you bring it up (which I know he'd fix) without being too mean or rude?
Offer him a breath mint...every single time you talk to him, until he asks about it. Passive aggressive but effective.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#89338 Aug 10, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Help, folks!
It's called halitosis and there is no cure. This will be an issue throughout your entire relationship. Solution: rethink your objection of dating the Dog....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min flack 1,760,496
last post wins! (Dec '10) 33 min honeymylove 3,300
last post wins! (Apr '13) 43 min honeymylove 2,860
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 59 min How much 3,864
Change one letter in the word (Mar '12) 1 hr SCUMfukinDELETERS 104
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr I Got It 2,612
Kennedy Lied and People Died and were enslaved. 1 hr Death by KENNEDYs 30

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages