“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#89268 Aug 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
But if any of these can be terminal, I believe he would be correct. No?
<quoted text>
I guess if you have some of these conditions that are not considered terminal illnesses and you happen to die from a car accident then ok. But that's pushing it.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#89269 Aug 9, 2013
We don't care what the law says about marijuana.
Smoking pot is a victimless crime.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#89270 Aug 9, 2013
I was talking about things like cancer. Usually terminal, so he would be correct to say "Certain" terminal illnesses.
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess if you have some of these conditions that are not considered terminal illnesses and you happen to die from a car accident then ok. But that's pushing it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#89271 Aug 9, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true.
The qualifying medical conditions
are:
cancer; glaucoma; HIV/AIDS; hepatitis C; amyotrophic lateral
sclerosis (ALS); Crohn's disease; agitation of Alzheimer’s disease; cachexia/wasting syndrome; muscular
dystrophy; severe fibromyalgia; spinal cord disease; Tarlov cysts; hydromyelia; syringomyelia; spinal
cord injury; traumatic brain injury and post-concussion syndrome; multiple sclerosis; Arnold Chiari malformation; spinocerebellar a
taxia (SCA); Parkinson’s disease;
Tourette’s syndrome; myoclonus;
dystonia; reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD); causalgia; CRPS;
neurofibromatosis; chronic
inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy; Sjogren’s syndrome; lupus; interstitial cystitis; myastheniagravis; hydrocephalus; nail patella syndrome; residual limb pain; or the treatment of these conditions.In addition, the Department of Public Health can approve additional debilitating medical conditions
I only heard it was for terminal illnesses like cancer and AIDS. I admit I have not researched the law extensively, so, if you say so.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#89272 Aug 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
But if any of these can be terminal, I believe he would be correct. No?
<quoted text>
1. glaucoma will make you blind but it won't kill you.;
2. severe fibromyalgia is pain based on trigger points and will not kill you;
3.spinal cord disease and spinal cord injury is a broad term, but as a general rule the nerve functions that keep you alive are cranial not spinal nerve in origin, so this might paralyze you but probably won't kill you- see, Christopher Reeve;
4. Tarlov cysts, well just read the wikipedia description; 5.hydromyelia and syringomyelia, see http://sehati.org/index/patientresources/neur... ;
6 traumatic brain injury and post-concussion syndrome. If a brain injury is bad enough to kill you, marijuana won't help;

7. Arnold Chiari malformation sounds awful- your brain is pushing itself through the hole in the bottom of your skull; (SCA); 8.Tourette’s syndrome- the tics and compulsive repetitive behavior may be helped by MJ, but Tourettes won't kill you itself. Same for myoclonus which is a desciption of twitching or jerking muscles;
9 reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD); causalgia; CRPS are pain syndromes , http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/chronic/ref... . Nasty but they won't kill you.;
10. Sjogren’s syndrome is a rheumatology condition- uncomfortable but not fatal;

11. interstitial cystitis, http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/interstitial... painful pee-ing but it won't kill you;

12 nail patella syndrome, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail%E2%80%93pat... , ;

13 residual limb pain the name says it all- not fatal

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89273 Aug 9, 2013
Lupus is thought to be teh explanation for what people think are werewolves. So smoking dope will prevent Wolfman.

#89274 Aug 9, 2013
Whats you point? He did not say ONLY terminal, he said INCLUDING terminal.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
1. glaucoma will make you blind but it won't kill you.;
2. severe fibromyalgia is pain based on trigger points and will not kill you;
3.spinal cord disease and spinal cord injury is a broad term, but as a general rule the nerve functions that keep you alive are cranial not spinal nerve in origin, so this might paralyze you but probably won't kill you- see, Christopher Reeve;
4. Tarlov cysts, well just read the wikipedia description; 5.hydromyelia and syringomyelia, see http://sehati.org/index/patientresources/neur... ;
6 traumatic brain injury and post-concussion syndrome. If a brain injury is bad enough to kill you, marijuana won't help;
7. Arnold Chiari malformation sounds awful- your brain is pushing itself through the hole in the bottom of your skull; (SCA); 8.Tourette’s syndrome- the tics and compulsive repetitive behavior may be helped by MJ, but Tourettes won't kill you itself. Same for myoclonus which is a desciption of twitching or jerking muscles;
9 reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD); causalgia; CRPS are pain syndromes , http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/chronic/ref... . Nasty but they won't kill you.;
10. Sjogren’s syndrome is a rheumatology condition- uncomfortable but not fatal;
11. interstitial cystitis, http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/interstitial... painful pee-ing but it won't kill you;
12 nail patella syndrome, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail%E2%80%93pat... , ;
13 residual limb pain the name says it all- not fatal
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#89275 Aug 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Lupus is thought to be teh explanation for what people think are werewolves. So smoking dope will prevent Wolfman.
THen they should have smoked pot in that Harry Potter movie I saw the other night!!!

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#89276 Aug 9, 2013
I'm just sayin' that the medical community as a whole has long had a preconceived bias, absent of critical thinking in regards to the marijuana plant and it's myriad of benefits, real and potential.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#89277 Aug 9, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
We don't care what the law says about marijuana.
Smoking pot is a victimless crime.
Cousins in California told me, you can get their card by merely displaying hypertension or stress.....should likely concentrate on age limits, not conditions.....After all, everyone has access to booze.....

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#89278 Aug 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
Whats you point? He did not say ONLY terminal, he said INCLUDING terminal.
<quoted text>
??

He did say ONLY.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89279 Aug 9, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Cousins in California told me, you can get their card by merely displaying hypertension or stress.....should likely concentrate on age limits, not conditions.....After all, everyone has access to booze.....
I was reading that article about the Colorado girl with seizures. I was somewhat aware that medical marijuana was less likely to get you high. It lso sounds like they are selling capsules, not bags of literal weed. Is all this accurate?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#89280 Aug 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I was reading that article about the Colorado girl with seizures. I was somewhat aware that medical marijuana was less likely to get you high. It lso sounds like they are selling capsules, not bags of literal weed. Is all this accurate?
I've seen shows, where the places in California seem to have everything...plants, ounces, cookies, even liquid concentrated THC...but, each state is likely different...Sanjay Gupta is having a new special on CNN, about how he now see's the virtue of easier access and the upside.....guess he was againest it before....

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#89281 Aug 9, 2013
check out hte story about the little girl that someone posted the link to... i read it the other day before it was posted here. the girl started having hundreds of seizures a week, and none of hte big pharma meds were working well enough to put up wiht some of the side effects. they looked into medical marijuana, had to find 2 MDs to sign off on her, whihc was especially tricky for a 5 YO. her family extracts an oil from the plant and adds it to her food. the specific breed of plant they found is high in this compound & low in THC, the psychogenic (i think that's what they called it) compound. it worked well from the start.
my limited understanding is that seizures themselves aren;t necessarily terminal, but they can "induce failures" of other systems or cause other fatal incidents...

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#89282 Aug 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I was reading that article about the Colorado girl with seizures. I was somewhat aware that medical marijuana was less likely to get you high. It lso sounds like they are selling capsules, not bags of literal weed. Is all this accurate?
i think they bought the weed and took it to someone else to extract the oils... also, the law in that state say that it has to be sold, they can't give it away. so some people pay "real" prices and others pay what they can.... like this family.

the story did give me more info on medical marijuana that i'd seen before. i had images of people toking or eating brownies... and i was wondering how it all worked.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#89283 Aug 9, 2013
As conservative as I am, I'm not 100% sold on no marijuana....BUT...I question a placebo affect in medicinal uses.
Is it possible people think it works when it's not as effective as they claim?
Not accusing; honestly asking...

#89284 Aug 9, 2013
I seem to remember reading that for the glaucoma aspect, they did use placebos in the studies. So the claim that the dope was helping was proven.
cheluzal wrote:
As conservative as I am, I'm not 100% sold on no marijuana....BUT...I question a placebo affect in medicinal uses.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89285 Aug 9, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
The only testing of which I have some knowledge concerns glaucoma. Something causes pressure in the eye to increase which in turn presses on the optic nerve essentially squeezing it to death. The etiology of the various kinds of glaucoma is unknown. What has been measured is the effects of THC on the intraocular pressure (IOP). That is not a function a person can control even with something like biofeedback. That pretty much rules out the placebo effect. Even if the person knew he was getting THC and was as high as the proverbial kite, only the pharmacology could explain the drop in the IOP. My impression is that this has progressed beyond correlation and moved to causation and has been known since the 1970's/early 80's.

My sister is a LCSW with a large cancer care center. In talking to her and her oncology nurse friends, I have heard anecdotes that THC reduces nausea which can be a debilitating side effect of chemotherapy. I haven't looked for any studies on this personally.

Some of the pain conditions such as fibromylagia have a large subjective component and thus can be skewed by a placebo effect.

The best database to search would be pubmed.com , run by NIH which compiles articles published in peer reviewed journals, and then check the articles with the Cochrane Initiative fo validity.

#89286 Aug 9, 2013
Well, egg on my face.
I totally miss read what he posted.
My bad.

I retract everything I said in his defense.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>??
He did say ONLY.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#89287 Aug 9, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
No more placebo effect than with any other drug.

Pot stimulates appetite and suppresses nausea, so it's good for people with certain conditions (like cancer patients getting chemo) for those reasons.

One of my best friends in college smoked like a fiend at his doctor's orders -- he was going blind from glaucoma and wanted to keep his eyesight long enough to finish college. Halfway through college he was already blind in one eye. He went fully blind right after he got his master's degree.(then he went on to become a meat inspector for the U.S.D.A -- that's right, a blind meat inspector.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Nuculur option 1,189,642
last post wins! (Apr '13) 11 min Concerned_American 505
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 26 min boundary painter 5,701
A Small History Lesson. 27 min Al S explained 5
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 41 min boundary painter 1,364
Dear Abby 2-26-15 54 min boundary painter 7
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr truth to power 51,371
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr Bieber 184,794
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:18AM
Best Options to Replace Briggs This Offseason
Bleacher Report 8:12 AM
Buzz: Colts Eyeing Trades for Veteran WRs Including Marshall
Bleacher Report 1:14 PM
Could Bears Ever Get Fair Trade Value for Forte?
Bleacher Report 1:40 PM
Wayne Undergoes Surgery on Triceps
NFL 2:44 PM
Reggie Wayne had surgery, mulling Colts future