|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy, did you catch me at a bad moment with this. Right now I'm super jealous and wish I had a stress-free mall job and a rent-free place to live. But I'm just frustrated right now....
Internet hug for whatever you're going through.

I gotta say, though, it's usually much better to be an independant adult with all the crap that goes with it than a perpetual teenager. And not in a charming, Dick Clark kind of way.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

*independEnt, rather

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Internet hug for whatever you're going through.
I gotta say, though, it's usually much better to be an independant adult with all the crap that goes with it than a perpetual teenager. And not in a charming, Dick Clark kind of way.
Thanks.

I'm overwhelmed and keep getting more and more projects and stuff. I'm about to lose a vacation day (use or lose policy) and then I'll get a new set of three weeks, but no time to use them, at least not until mid-January at the earliest. I want to be an independently *wealthy* adult.... I promise I'd still be a productive member of society and volunteer and give back and stuff.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

cheluzal wrote:
Yeah, what's the opposite equivalent to "curvy"? LOL
We can't say a word about larger folk, but people have no trouble pointing out us skinny ones. It's so rude.
But HE is skinn! So weird. He is the most socially unaware person I've ever met. He has definitely been too sheltered in life...
It's good comedy, if I almost didn't feel so sorry for him.
svelte...sounds so much better than skinny

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Uggghhh...my sister called me last night to tell me that she's quitting her job and going back to her mall job. You know, the job she got two Master's degrees for and that pays a lot better than the mall job and that has insurance?
I guess it was pretty intense (geriatric psych ward at a hospital), but...that's what drinking after work is for.
Does *anyone* I'm related to believe in working? I guess it's *kind of* cool that she's apparently going to live with my dad long term. He doesn't seem to mind the company, and I worry less about him that way. But still...da fuuuk?
Wow. That being said a geriatric psych ward sounds rough. We had an incident in the south suburbs last week where a 95 year old guy in a nursing home went combatative, threatening people with a 12 inch knife. EMT's couldn't handle him. Cops were called. Taser didn't work. They bean bagged him. Only he died that afternoon. I would not have wanted to be a small female nurse in that situation. I suspect this is not uncommon and the only reason it made the papers was that the guy was 95 and he died.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

FB post on Lamebook:

Thought for the day: My ex-wife used to call me gullible and financially irresponsible. I can't wait to see her face when I tell her I just won the NIgerian lottery!!!!!

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. That being said a geriatric psych ward sounds rough. We had an incident in the south suburbs last week where a 95 year old guy in a nursing home went combatative, threatening people with a 12 inch knife. EMT's couldn't handle him. Cops were called. Taser didn't work. They bean bagged him. Only he died that afternoon. I would not have wanted to be a small female nurse in that situation. I suspect this is not uncommon and the only reason it made the papers was that the guy was 95 and he died.
I actually read about that story and thought of my sister.

I do actually understand her plight. I would *not* last long in a similar job, either. Buuuuuut...that's why I went with computers over crazy people when picking a major in college.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do actually understand her plight. I would *not* last long in a similar job, either. Buuuuuut...that's why I went with computers over crazy people when picking a major in college.
Anything geriatric should be marketable these days, especially health care administration.. If she could master Japanese, even more so, since the press has lots of stories about their aging population problems. I wonder if her college placement office can help...if she wants help, which is not clear.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's what I was thinking... that job apparently was in her field of study, how was she not prepared for what she'd be dealing with? I think she should join the Peace Corps. Get some real world experience and some appreciation for all the opportunities she's had that others don't get.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Well Pellen, that story really hits home.
I heard about that old man, but didn't know any details.
I've seen a lot of fighters before. Never once have they beaten us. We tie them down with 4-point leather restraints. You can't do that though, without a doctor's orders.
It's always a big relief though, once they are restrianed.
It takes a lot of manpower though. I've seen as many as 8-10 people trying to hold down someone who has lost it.

I've seen nurses spat on before too. It can really be ugly sometimes.
That Taser though, I think should be outlawed.
If they are going to go to that extent, they should just go on ahead and shoot off their kneecaps.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Pellen,
I was talking about people in general, and not old folks.
I'm surprised the police had to use excessive force on such an old man.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

I read yesterday about an elderly man (over 90, I think) in a nursing home, who wandered into a janitorial closet and drank some kind of cleaning solution and he died that day. The family won a big settlement. I guess it just seems like a no-brainer to me that you keep that stuff locked up in a dementia ward for elderly people, just like in a pediatrics ward with toddlers.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's what I was thinking... that job apparently was in her field of study, how was she not prepared for what she'd be dealing with? I think she should join the Peace Corps. Get some real world experience and some appreciation for all the opportunities she's had that others don't get.
She's essentially a nurse that can do everything but give meds, in addition to the psych stuff. It's a lot more hands on than I think she bargained for. It's not, like, sitting in an office, chatting with a patient on the couch. But at least get another job in the field before you quit.

I think she still has this weird concept of education and careers. You don't just walk in to your dream job from college, knowing everything you need to know. And for the vast majority of the population "dream job" never comes to fruition. "Job that pays the bills and allows you a bit of fun money" is more realistic.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

I think some cops are too quick to taser (we had one guy die from being tasered -- turns out he had a heart condition -- over a traffic stop that went bad). They would rather pull out that taser than just use physical force. I think they should use the taser when physical force isn't enough or isn't possible.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

They're finding bits of an old dude around here. Torso in a river in this county this past weekend and then possibly the rest of him in a (his?) house the next county over. I hope they figure out who did it.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

On the plus side, yesterday I bought our season tickets for local hockey yesterday. I was practically giddy. My countdown clock app says 79 days until the season opener.

The team is in a different league this year, with a different name and different colors. Bloomington Blaze (red, white, and black) is no more--it's the Bloomington Thunder (LA King's colors--purple, black, white, maybe silver). So all my team swag is now outdated. The cool thing is, we're in a league with Peoria, so I'm sure we'll do some trips over there for those games ("The War on 74").

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

I don't know. I just see the Tazer weapon as cruel and unusual.
Beats me why. I think it delivers something like 50,000 volts of electricity.
That's enough to send anyone's heart into wide array of arrythmias.
There just has to be a more humane way than electrocution by officer friendly.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Judged:

Compliance with an officers instructions?
loose cannon wrote:
There just has to be a more humane way than electrocution by officer friendly.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Mathilda, i cna see that your sister may be in over her head iwht this particular job. i feel that dealing with the elderly is just as much a calling as it is a career. and dealign with psychiatric patients is another calling. add the two togehter and i can see how it may not work for some. But, i also agree that, from what you've shared here, she needs to try somethign for more than a couple of weeks...

i'm still working a job that pays the bills and allows you a bit of fun money... just a little bit of fun money...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
Mathilda, i cna see that your sister may be in over her head iwht this particular job. i feel that dealing with the elderly is just as much a calling as it is a career. and dealign with psychiatric patients is another calling. add the two togehter and i can see how it may not work for some. But, i also agree that, from what you've shared here, she needs to try somethign for more than a couple of weeks...
i'm still working a job that pays the bills and allows you a bit of fun money... just a little bit of fun money...
Very good point -- that sort of work is a calling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 87,921 - 87,940 of97,454
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min THE DEBIL 1,072,825
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Brian_G 45,548
Make 1000$ instantly 2 hr generalwon1 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr Obama Suks 48,696
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr andet1987 407
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr LRS 173,742
Evergreen Park Man Facing Charges In South Side... 4 hr wow 1
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at July 12 at 8:58PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000