Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#89160 Aug 7, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
2nd date with a guy. He's 18 minutes late and I see him running down the road towards Starbucks. He drives a big rig (owns the company but apparently won't hire someone), and parked it under an overpass!
Odd.
At the end of the date he asks me if I need money. WTF He asks me if I need food. I ask why and he says because I'm so thin!*jaw drop*
Dog's met me--I am naturally thin but healthy. The kicker is this guy is thin too! Like the male equivalent of me: tall and rail thin but we eat with a high metabolism.
GAH!
I think he sounds like a clueless tool! Asks you if you need money? DId he assume you're dirt poor? WTH?
edogxxx

Chicago, IL

#89161 Aug 7, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
2nd date with a guy. He's 18 minutes late and I see him running down the road towards Starbucks. He drives a big rig (owns the company but apparently won't hire someone), and parked it under an overpass!
Odd.
At the end of the date he asks me if I need money. WTF He asks me if I need food. I ask why and he says because I'm so thin!*jaw drop*
Dog's met me--I am naturally thin but healthy. The kicker is this guy is thin too! Like the male equivalent of me: tall and rail thin but we eat with a high metabolism.
GAH!
Just tell people you're not thin, you're small boned.

And see? I keep telling you that you won't find anyone better than me. Just accept it. I've never commented on your physique. And I like my women thin anyway.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#89162 Aug 7, 2013
Yeah, what's the opposite equivalent to "curvy"? LOL
We can't say a word about larger folk, but people have no trouble pointing out us skinny ones. It's so rude.
But HE is skinn! So weird. He is the most socially unaware person I've ever met. He has definitely been too sheltered in life...

It's good comedy, if I almost didn't feel so sorry for him.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#89163 Aug 7, 2013
Uggghhh...my sister called me last night to tell me that she's quitting her job and going back to her mall job. You know, the job she got two Master's degrees for and that pays a lot better than the mall job and that has insurance?

I guess it was pretty intense (geriatric psych ward at a hospital), but...that's what drinking after work is for.

Does *anyone* I'm related to believe in working? I guess it's *kind of* cool that she's apparently going to live with my dad long term. He doesn't seem to mind the company, and I worry less about him that way. But still...da fuuuk?

Location hidden

#89164 Aug 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Uggghhh...my sister called me last night to tell me that she's quitting her job and going back to her mall job. You know, the job she got two Master's degrees for and that pays a lot better than the mall job and that has insurance?
I guess it was pretty intense (geriatric psych ward at a hospital), but...that's what drinking after work is for.
Does *anyone* I'm related to believe in working? I guess it's *kind of* cool that she's apparently going to live with my dad long term. He doesn't seem to mind the company, and I worry less about him that way. But still...da fuuuk?
Just... wow. What if your dad had made it clear to her that she isn't allowed to move back in? She'd be forced to keep the job she doesn't like. Wah effing wah. That's most of us. It's called "paying for your life."

Location hidden

#89165 Aug 7, 2013
I'm not saying your dad would do that or that he should -- it's his call. But man, my parents would just tell me "no" if it wasn't related to an emergency of some kind.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#89166 Aug 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Oh boy, did you catch me at a bad moment with this. Right now I'm super jealous and wish I had a stress-free mall job and a rent-free place to live. But I'm just frustrated right now....

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#89167 Aug 7, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Just... wow. What if your dad had made it clear to her that she isn't allowed to move back in? She'd be forced to keep the job she doesn't like. Wah effing wah. That's most of us. It's called "paying for your life."
He wouldn't do that, unless she was smoking crack in the house or something. My mom probably would have, but that's catch-22, because she was annoying to live with and the reason one would want to move out. My dad is just kind of quiet, clean, and minds his own business.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#89168 Aug 7, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy, did you catch me at a bad moment with this. Right now I'm super jealous and wish I had a stress-free mall job and a rent-free place to live. But I'm just frustrated right now....
Internet hug for whatever you're going through.

I gotta say, though, it's usually much better to be an independant adult with all the crap that goes with it than a perpetual teenager. And not in a charming, Dick Clark kind of way.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#89169 Aug 7, 2013
*independEnt, rather

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#89170 Aug 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Internet hug for whatever you're going through.
I gotta say, though, it's usually much better to be an independant adult with all the crap that goes with it than a perpetual teenager. And not in a charming, Dick Clark kind of way.
Thanks.

I'm overwhelmed and keep getting more and more projects and stuff. I'm about to lose a vacation day (use or lose policy) and then I'll get a new set of three weeks, but no time to use them, at least not until mid-January at the earliest. I want to be an independently *wealthy* adult.... I promise I'd still be a productive member of society and volunteer and give back and stuff.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#89171 Aug 7, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Yeah, what's the opposite equivalent to "curvy"? LOL
We can't say a word about larger folk, but people have no trouble pointing out us skinny ones. It's so rude.
But HE is skinn! So weird. He is the most socially unaware person I've ever met. He has definitely been too sheltered in life...
It's good comedy, if I almost didn't feel so sorry for him.
svelte...sounds so much better than skinny

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#89172 Aug 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Wow. That being said a geriatric psych ward sounds rough. We had an incident in the south suburbs last week where a 95 year old guy in a nursing home went combatative, threatening people with a 12 inch knife. EMT's couldn't handle him. Cops were called. Taser didn't work. They bean bagged him. Only he died that afternoon. I would not have wanted to be a small female nurse in that situation. I suspect this is not uncommon and the only reason it made the papers was that the guy was 95 and he died.

Location hidden

#89173 Aug 7, 2013
FB post on Lamebook:

Thought for the day: My ex-wife used to call me gullible and financially irresponsible. I can't wait to see her face when I tell her I just won the NIgerian lottery!!!!!

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#89174 Aug 7, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. That being said a geriatric psych ward sounds rough. We had an incident in the south suburbs last week where a 95 year old guy in a nursing home went combatative, threatening people with a 12 inch knife. EMT's couldn't handle him. Cops were called. Taser didn't work. They bean bagged him. Only he died that afternoon. I would not have wanted to be a small female nurse in that situation. I suspect this is not uncommon and the only reason it made the papers was that the guy was 95 and he died.
I actually read about that story and thought of my sister.

I do actually understand her plight. I would *not* last long in a similar job, either. Buuuuuut...that's why I went with computers over crazy people when picking a major in college.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#89175 Aug 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do actually understand her plight. I would *not* last long in a similar job, either. Buuuuuut...that's why I went with computers over crazy people when picking a major in college.
Anything geriatric should be marketable these days, especially health care administration.. If she could master Japanese, even more so, since the press has lots of stories about their aging population problems. I wonder if her college placement office can help...if she wants help, which is not clear.

Location hidden

#89176 Aug 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's what I was thinking... that job apparently was in her field of study, how was she not prepared for what she'd be dealing with? I think she should join the Peace Corps. Get some real world experience and some appreciation for all the opportunities she's had that others don't get.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#89177 Aug 7, 2013
Well Pellen, that story really hits home.
I heard about that old man, but didn't know any details.
I've seen a lot of fighters before. Never once have they beaten us. We tie them down with 4-point leather restraints. You can't do that though, without a doctor's orders.
It's always a big relief though, once they are restrianed.
It takes a lot of manpower though. I've seen as many as 8-10 people trying to hold down someone who has lost it.

I've seen nurses spat on before too. It can really be ugly sometimes.
That Taser though, I think should be outlawed.
If they are going to go to that extent, they should just go on ahead and shoot off their kneecaps.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#89178 Aug 7, 2013
Pellen,
I was talking about people in general, and not old folks.
I'm surprised the police had to use excessive force on such an old man.

Location hidden

#89179 Aug 7, 2013
I read yesterday about an elderly man (over 90, I think) in a nursing home, who wandered into a janitorial closet and drank some kind of cleaning solution and he died that day. The family won a big settlement. I guess it just seems like a no-brainer to me that you keep that stuff locked up in a dementia ward for elderly people, just like in a pediatrics ward with toddlers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 min Patriot AKA Bozo 48,410
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Incognito4Ever 1,141,681
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min Rogue Scholar 05 180,623
EverGreen Belgrade 2 hr voivoda_stjepan_k... 4
mtn cheat 2 hr mtn 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 hr KiMerde 51,241
romance 9 hr Yunkee 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:30 pm PST

NFL 1:30PM