Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Two sharks talking while a boat sinks. " White meat or Dark?" The other shark says," It doesn't matter. They're all the same."

And, we're the intelligent ones?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Wow. I bet these kids are thrilled that mom came to the skatepark to fight on their behalf.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Try this, especially Matilda.
Quite safe for work. Rally cool.
http://imgur.com/a/yJ09J

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Here's that book I mentioned recently, written by a woman who grew up with hoarder parents in a house full of moldy food and fleas:

"Coming Clean"

http://www.npr.org/2013/07/29/206654538/-comi...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Their boiler broke one year, and b/c the house was such a mess, they couldn't let repair people in, so all winter, they had no heat and no hot showers.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Here's that book I mentioned recently, written by a woman who grew up with hoarder parents in a house full of moldy food and fleas:
"Coming Clean"
Sweet. I might check it out. I'm reading "Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit" right now and it's kind of boring. It's about this guy who was a gym rat personal trainer and takes 6 months to stop working out and eating right and then tries to lose the 75 lbs he's gained in the same amount of time. It's kind of boring, so I don't know if I'm going to finish it.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, there's a book of those pictures. Somebody got it for my dad for Christmas last year. Funny stuff.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
"Coming Clean"
OMG! Somebody was living in their attic and they didn't even know it!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
They tried to make a similar book featuring cats. It didn't turn out so well.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Calcified granulomas are fairly common in the general area jut north of Matilda. Some of the older radiologist in that area called it Illinois Valley Grippe. It was indeed "no big deal"
Saywhatnow?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG! Somebody was living in their attic and they didn't even know it!
Which is so weird! Did the person choose the hoarder house on purpose? Or was it just lucky happenstance? ;)

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Saywhatnow?
What PE is describing sounds a lot like what is called "valley fever" in the southwest. I think it comes from the dust in the air. Most people never know they have it or don't experience symptoms for a long time. Dogs and humans can get this. It does involve the lungs and many times when someone gets a chest x-ray they will be told they had valley fever at one time because it will leave some sort of lesion or something like that.
Didn't know there was something similar in the midwest.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is so weird! Did the person choose the hoarder house on purpose? Or was it just lucky happenstance? ;)
Probably chose it on purpose. Who knows what kind of crazy vermin would be running through that house at any given time. A creak or two in the attic wouldn't raise any suspicion, and all the crap would be a good insulator.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

re L1 and the dog: I had to relate this story.
I have a friend the same age who is attractive and financially secure. She went on match.com and did find some decent guys who she had relationships with. One of them had prostrate problems and when I told her about my good friend whose husband had the surgery and how she had to insert catheters into him, the dating friend said "no way". It's different when you're married a long time and you take care of each other.

I never eschewed companionship. Only that there were different ways of getting that besides the dating sites. One way of combating depression is to do things that are fun, whether it's by yourself or with others your same age.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Whoops, wrong thread. But my story still stands.
Maybe I'm getting senile in my old, depressed age.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Anyone watch Breaking Bad? I just started watching the reruns a few weeks ago, had a rainy Saturday BB marathon, and got caught up via Netflix last night. I can't wait for the rest of season 5 but I don't want it to be over!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
What PE is describing sounds a lot like what is called "valley fever" in the southwest. I think it comes from the dust in the air. Most people never know they have it or don't experience symptoms for a long time. Dogs and humans can get this. It does involve the lungs and many times when someone gets a chest x-ray they will be told they had valley fever at one time because it will leave some sort of lesion or something like that.
Didn't know there was something similar in the Midwest.
Cheluzal is a teacher. I had this notion that people who worked with kids, i.e, teachers and day care worker had to have periodic TB tests. They are a mandatory part of school physicals in IL, so I am skeptical that she ever had TB although exposure is always possible. I think her experience is a good example of a doctor being clueless as to the effect of his words. He apparently casually mentioned a possible cause for an innocuous finding and what the patient heard was TB.

Matilda- I heard that description fro some radiologists in the Ottawa/Streator area going back 30+ years. It was explained that it came from non-specific respiratory infections picked up by people living in the (damp) proximity to the river.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheluzal is a teacher. I had this notion that people who worked with kids, i.e, teachers and day care worker had to have periodic TB tests. They are a mandatory part of school physicals in IL, so I am skeptical that she ever had TB although exposure is always possible. I think her experience is a good example of a doctor being clueless as to the effect of his words. He apparently casually mentioned a possible cause for an innocuous finding and what the patient heard was TB.
No, my doc is awesome! She seems to think it's all fine and benign, but states things very matter-of-factly. I love her.
She did mention my teacher-student exposure status. Weird I never had any symptoms, but maybe my body said, "Heck no-we will isolate this crap before it gets any further." LOL
She's minority and she said a lot of minorities won't necessarily get tested/treated properly because of the stigma attached in certain cultures, so I culd've been around a kid who had an undiagnosed one...who knows?
Once the CT confirms it, I'll feel better. Research says I'm probably fine but I like to know 100%.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

dahgts wrote:
re L1 and the dog: I had to relate this story.
I have a friend the same age who is attractive and financially secure. She went on match.com and did find some decent guys who she had relationships with. One of them had prostrate problems and when I told her about my good friend whose husband had the surgery and how she had to insert catheters into him, the dating friend said "no way". It's different when you're married a long time and you take care of each other.
I agree. After my mom's boyfriend dies, she is done with men. Mainly, she's done being their nurse. She's now 2 for 2. She doesn't want to make it 3 for 3.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Saw the new Woody Allen movie, Blue Jasmine. Wow , are Cate Blanchett and Andrew Dice Clay good- not someone I would have expected in a Woody Allen movie together, but he just dissolves into his role.

It was a really nice alternative to ripped movie star/ CGI action movies.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 87,861 - 87,880 of97,514
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

107 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min shinningelectr0n 1,078,505
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min Beavis 174,477
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Chicago, IL (Dec '11) 35 min Brian Shepard 116
Debate: Marijuana - Chicago, IL (Aug '10) 47 min Brian Shepard 297
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 48 min TRD 67,877
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 58 min Terry rigsby 48,843
Police Blotter (Jun '10) 1 hr mewxico bOy 18
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 10:02AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search