“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#89018 Aug 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't Europe, honey.
(and you're not the first person I've had to remind about that little factoid. What is it with you people?)
Not to be pedantic, but "factoid" doesn't mean little/small fact. In FACT it doesn't mean "fact" at all.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fac...

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#89019 Aug 3, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to be pedantic, but "factoid" doesn't mean little/small fact. In FACT it doesn't mean "fact" at all.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fac...
"a briefly stated and usually trivial fact"

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#89020 Aug 3, 2013
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#89021 Aug 3, 2013
Went to gun range and the owners had some stupid pitbull dog running free! I have dog phobia and freaked out, having a mini panic attack as I'm blubbering about getting it away as it's running at me.
The owner replies with, "I heard you the first time."
What a doosh! Oh, I was so angry at his defensive ways to a new female customer obviously frozen in fear. Jerk.
Sorry---still hot over the issue. He was not apologetic at all.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#89022 Aug 3, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Went to gun range and the owners had some stupid pitbull dog running free! I have dog phobia and freaked out, having a mini panic attack as I'm blubbering about getting it away as it's running at me.
What a doosh! Oh, I was so angry at his defensive ways to a new female customer obviously frozen in fear. Jerk.
Ugh. I can understand the security reasons for having a pitbull around, but he makes his living by customers. I assume there are other places you can go?

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#89023 Aug 3, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Go to a different place. Make sure anyone and everyone you know who would use that range knows about the dog AND the owner. Then make sure the owner knows why you and your 1000000 friends will NOT be patronizing his business. What a doosh.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#89024 Aug 3, 2013
Oh, please. "Dog phobia?" "Running" at you? Exaggerate much? He probably walked up expecting to be petted. The owner was likely unsympathetic because you're the ONLY person to ever complain. Look at it from HIS angle: some brand new female customer walks in and starts screaming about his totally harmless dog. YOU came off as the jerk customer, honey, and I say this with love. I'm with the owner on this.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89025 Aug 3, 2013
http://flikrfeed.appspot.com/#/interesting

Completely safe for work.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89026 Aug 3, 2013
http://www.quora.com/Breakfast/What-do-people...

Late night food p*orn.

Content is Quora answer What do people eat for breakfast outside the US.

Absolutely the wrong thing to look at in the middle of the night.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#89027 Aug 4, 2013

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#89028 Aug 4, 2013

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#89029 Aug 4, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Oh, please. "Dog phobia?" "Running" at you? Exaggerate much? He probably walked up expecting to be petted. The owner was likely unsympathetic because you're the ONLY person to ever complain. Look at it from HIS angle: some brand new female customer walks in and starts screaming about his totally harmless dog. YOU came off as the jerk customer, honey, and I say this with love. I'm with the owner on this.
That was meanly stated. There's an old song that goes like this:
" You always hurt the one you love, the one you shouldn't hurt at all".

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#89030 Aug 4, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Have you ever known anyone with a true phobia or an irrational fear of something?

If a person is truly frightened by dogs, it doesn't matter if it is Old Yeller or Benji coming to lick your hand, you freak out. The manifestations of freaking out are dramatic.One of my girls had that issue. It is impossible to insulate a kid living in the suburbs from dogs. We had to decondition her to lessen the response. Cheluzal hasn't gotten that far. Dahgt was being gentle when she said your response was unkind.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#89031 Aug 4, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever known anyone with a true phobia or an irrational fear of something?
If a person is truly frightened by dogs, it doesn't matter if it is Old Yeller or Benji coming to lick your hand, you freak out. The manifestations of freaking out are dramatic.One of my girls had that issue. It is impossible to insulate a kid living in the suburbs from dogs. We had to decondition her to lessen the response. Cheluzal hasn't gotten that far. Dahgt was being gentle when she said your response was unkind.
Exactly. Should everyone be expected to cater to the one person who might have some irrational phobia? Or should the person with the phobia find a way to deal?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#89032 Aug 4, 2013
PEllen wrote:
http://flikrfeed.appspot.com/# /interesting
Completely safe for work.
And thank you, PE, those are some truly remarkable pictures. I'm gonna copy some and use them as my desktop background.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#89033 Aug 4, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
You're wrong.
Phobias are real, especially if you've been bit. The source might be stupid but the fear inside is real: I freeze up.
And I know a running dog versus a walking dog. It ran so fast it actually zoomed past me out the door and turned back in to come at me before I even had a chance to do anything.
And trust me, i was not yelling. I was freaked out but you'll when I was yelling.
And I am putting myself in his shoes: I find his arrogance insensitive nature rude and I wished the dog bites someone and gets kicked and sues the idiot. Dogs must be on a leash in FL.

I only went because my gun club chose it. I told the president I would not return. There are classier places in Tampa that let ladies shoot free every Monday anyway.

The kicker is this place has FAMILY in their title.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#89034 Aug 4, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Should everyone be expected to cater to the one person who might have some irrational phobia? Or should the person with the phobia find a way to deal?
Sweetheart, I wasn't walking in someone's freaking home!
I entered a business establishment. I do not expect a freaking pitbull would come tearing from the back room at me in a business that is NOT a dog business.

Your insensitivity is apalling.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#89035 Aug 4, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Dogs must be on a leash in FL.
Out in public. This was his private business. I don't think that law applies.

So what exactly was the course of events? You froze and then what? He didn't immediately drop what he was doing and run to grab his dog who's never bitten anyone? Your fear might be real, but so is his understanding that his dog has never bitten anyone. In his mind, you were never in any danger and therefore, not an irgent issue requiring him to drop what he was doing and tend to you immediately. His comment about hearing you the first time makes me think he just was not moving fast enough for your liking. I'm with edog. Your fear of dogs does not automatically create an emergency for everyone else.

And I find it pretty self centered that you hope for someone to get bitten just to justify your own fear. How bout hoping for continued exposure to dogs without getting bitten erodes your fears?

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#89036 Aug 4, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Out in public. This was his private business. I don't think that law applies.
So what exactly was the course of events? You froze and then what? He didn't immediately drop what he was doing and run to grab his dog who's never bitten anyone? Your fear might be real, but so is his understanding that his dog has never bitten anyone. In his mind, you were never in any danger and therefore, not an irgent issue requiring him to drop what he was doing and tend to you immediately. His comment about hearing you the first time makes me think he just was not moving fast enough for your liking. I'm with edog. Your fear of dogs does not automatically create an emergency for everyone else.
And I find it pretty self centered that you hope for someone to get bitten just to justify your own fear. How bout hoping for continued exposure to dogs without getting bitten erodes your fears?
There's always that first bite. Time and time again when a pit chewed up a person or another dog the owner says it never bit anyone before.
And before anyone starts on the "it's the owner bit" here's a quote from the woman who heads the pit rescue in LA (the largest one in the states). "This is a breed that one has to always stay one step ahead of at all times". I saw her on TV and this is just what she said.
Her actions due to her fear of dogs was appropriate, especially that one. Not only that, the owner has a significant liability due to that dog being loose in a business. He's very foolish.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#89037 Aug 4, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
\
Have to agree with you Chel. That's ridiculous. An owner of a dog should to RIGHT THERE in control of their dog in a public place. I don't care if it's a pitbull or a toy poodle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min John Galt 1,115,303
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 14 min Patriot AKA Bozo 47,029
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 15 min HughBe 69,531
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 21 min Cali Girl 2014 50,047
Amy 10-1 1 hr pde 5
Amy - 9-29-2014 1 hr Ralph 30
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr andet1987 4,755
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr WelbyMD 178,605

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]