Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

dahgts wrote:
One of the best days in my life is when I left the corporate world and didn't feel like I had to wear heels anymore.
The Chicago ladies would appreciate this. Way,way back when I started to work downtown no one wore tennis shoes or boots to walk to work.( No one wore boots, we walked in a foot of snow around town in flats). We wore heels. Those heels would get stuck in the sidewalk grates and be shredded to bits.
I have long legs and heels would look great but the pain in my face would totally negate that.
I was so happy when it became commonplace for people to wear athletic shoes with their work clothes and change at work.

My shoes last so much longer, too!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've always tried to get semi-quality shoes, but it took me years to realize the same concept with clothes. Three crappy Old Navy tops have the same lifespan and approximate cost as one Eddie Bauer/Polo/Ann Taylor top.
I agree. If I think something is more of a thing that will go out of style in one season (or perhaps two), I'll go the cheap route. For anything more classic, I buy as good of clothing as I can afford at the time.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

dahgts wrote:
One of the best days in my life is when I left the corporate world and didn't feel like I had to wear heels anymore.
The Chicago ladies would appreciate this. Way,way back when I started to work downtown no one wore tennis shoes or boots to walk to work.( No one wore boots, we walked in a foot of snow around town in flats). We wore heels. Those heels would get stuck in the sidewalk grates and be shredded to bits.
I have long legs and heels would look great but the pain in my face would totally negate that.
Okay- here is a piece of trivia for you.The fashion for wearing athletic shoes for commuting and putting on dress heels when you got yo the office started with the 1980 NYC transit strike. I was there. Women in Dress-for-Success suits with bow ties had on athletic shoes and were walking because there was no bus or subway service. It caught on.

Daghts: I am close to your vintage. I bought a pair or dress boots for work in July 1978 at Bloomingdales in NYC; I am reasonably sure I wore thin black leather boots with a maxi skirt to my first job after college in 1971.I worked at a publisher.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay- here is a piece of trivia for you.The fashion for wearing athletic shoes for commuting and putting on dress heels when you got yo the office started with the 1980 NYC transit strike. I was there. Women in Dress-for-Success suits with bow ties had on athletic shoes and were walking because there was no bus or subway service. It caught on.
Daghts: I am close to your vintage. I bought a pair or dress boots for work in July 1978 at Bloomingdales in NYC; I am reasonably sure I wore thin black leather boots with a maxi skirt to my first job after college in 1971.I worked at a publisher.
It's also been pretty common for a long. LONG time in places like Seattle and San Fran for women to wear at least flats if not actual athletic shoes because, you know, hills.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

I've read that European women are mortified that American women wear sneakers to work with their power suits and briefcases.

I'm all for comfort. When I commuted by bus, I never wore my dressy shoes -- and by wearing them only indoors at work, they lasted a very long time.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
If this had been a man who arranged sleepovers for his daughters lacross team, what do you think his sentence would have been?
When will this double standard end!
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hock...
Longer...but....that's only become a thing in recent (let's say the past 20-ish) years. Back in the day it was pretty common for a guy to get a slap on the wrist/minimal sentence then let back out on to the streets, to you know, repeat offend because he's a paedo.

Not excusing this woman. Whatever she did she should be sentenced the same as a man who'd done the same thing. Equality and all that.

Except for me personally,*I* should always have special consideration in all aspects of life because you know, I'm cute.:D

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I've read that European women are mortified that American women wear sneakers to work with their power suits and briefcases.
I'm all for comfort. When I commuted by bus, I never wore my dressy shoes -- and by wearing them only indoors at work, they lasted a very long time.
In all the European cities I was in this year the girls/women dressed very stylishly and almost all of them wore flats, more so then sneakers. Flats are coming back.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Preaching to the choir honey! I been saying that for years!
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for me personally,*I* should always have special consideration in all aspects of life because you know, I'm cute.:D

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
My first job downtown was 1962. It's what you did if you weren't going to college. Wasn't going to wear galoshes.:)
Then in the mid-80's I was back working in the Loop and living in the city and was happy to wear sneakers to work.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
In all the European cities I was in this year the girls/women dressed very stylishly and almost all of them wore flats, more so then sneakers. Flats are coming back.
This isn't Europe, honey.

(and you're not the first person I've had to remind about that little factoid. What is it with you people?)

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Don't worry dog, you can wear your heels as long as you like. You dont have to be a slave to fashion.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
(and you're not the first person I've had to remind about that little factoid. What is it with you people?)

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now that we have verified your personal GPS is working... fats are very much in style in Chicago as well. The stiletto heels as part of business attire occurs only in advertising both the ads and possibly the profession. The women with any street cred' wear flats or pumps with a 2 " heel, max.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Flats are very much in style in Chicago

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

I like it better when you said "fats".

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Flats have been back for a year or two now, but I don't like 'em so I don't wear 'em. But the cute trendy girls at work wear them all the time.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

I have a paper box full of shoes that I keep in file drawer at work. No way am I commuting in heels, unless they are the new pair of crocs sandals I just got. They're comfy and I could care less if they get nasty on the L.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

And luckily for me, my mental state is such that my current task is right up my alley.

I have to fold and stuff 1800+ letters. I have been woozy and light-headed all day, and this is just perfect...

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I've just been granted asylum in Russia, you bonehead.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
I like it better when you said "fats".
That, too. The food there is so damn good.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

I have a big, deep purple bruise on my upper arm. I hope someone asks about it tonight so I can say "Yeah, I didn't hear Nick the first time he told me to do something."

;)

COmpany picnic tonight, leaving in 7 minutes to help set up beer and pop!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 14 min LRS 176,787
Amy 8-21 19 min Toj 12
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Nuculur option 1,095,954
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Doug77 4,636
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr Concerned_American 320
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr bushi 49,259
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 3 hr andet1987 555

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••
•••