“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#89036 Aug 4, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Out in public. This was his private business. I don't think that law applies.
So what exactly was the course of events? You froze and then what? He didn't immediately drop what he was doing and run to grab his dog who's never bitten anyone? Your fear might be real, but so is his understanding that his dog has never bitten anyone. In his mind, you were never in any danger and therefore, not an irgent issue requiring him to drop what he was doing and tend to you immediately. His comment about hearing you the first time makes me think he just was not moving fast enough for your liking. I'm with edog. Your fear of dogs does not automatically create an emergency for everyone else.
And I find it pretty self centered that you hope for someone to get bitten just to justify your own fear. How bout hoping for continued exposure to dogs without getting bitten erodes your fears?
There's always that first bite. Time and time again when a pit chewed up a person or another dog the owner says it never bit anyone before.
And before anyone starts on the "it's the owner bit" here's a quote from the woman who heads the pit rescue in LA (the largest one in the states). "This is a breed that one has to always stay one step ahead of at all times". I saw her on TV and this is just what she said.
Her actions due to her fear of dogs was appropriate, especially that one. Not only that, the owner has a significant liability due to that dog being loose in a business. He's very foolish.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#89037 Aug 4, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Went to gun range and the owners had some stupid pitbull dog running free! I have dog phobia and freaked out, having a mini panic attack as I'm blubbering about getting it away as it's running at me.
The owner replies with, "I heard you the first time."
What a doosh! Oh, I was so angry at his defensive ways to a new female customer obviously frozen in fear. Jerk.
Sorry---still hot over the issue. He was not apologetic at all.
\
Have to agree with you Chel. That's ridiculous. An owner of a dog should to RIGHT THERE in control of their dog in a public place. I don't care if it's a pitbull or a toy poodle.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#89038 Aug 4, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Oh, please. "Dog phobia?" "Running" at you? Exaggerate much? He probably walked up expecting to be petted. The owner was likely unsympathetic because you're the ONLY person to ever complain. Look at it from HIS angle: some brand new female customer walks in and starts screaming about his totally harmless dog. YOU came off as the jerk customer, honey, and I say this with love. I'm with the owner on this.
I believe if the owner had the dog with him on a leash she would not have been afraid. You're being too dismissive of someone's real fears.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#89039 Aug 4, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Out in public. This was his private business. I don't think that law applies.
So what exactly was the course of events? You froze and then what? He didn't immediately drop what he was doing and run to grab his dog who's never bitten anyone? Your fear might be real, but so is his understanding that his dog has never bitten anyone. In his mind, you were never in any danger and therefore, not an irgent issue requiring him to drop what he was doing and tend to you immediately. His comment about hearing you the first time makes me think he just was not moving fast enough for your liking. I'm with edog. Your fear of dogs does not automatically create an emergency for everyone else.
And I find it pretty self centered that you hope for someone to get bitten just to justify your own fear. How bout hoping for continued exposure to dogs without getting bitten erodes your fears?
I hate a tiny dog who normally would not frighten anyone. He is super friendly. I am cognizant that some people are afraid of dogs. I would NEVER have him off leash in a public place. As a dog owner I have a responsibility to have my dog not invade other people's personal space.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#89040 Aug 4, 2013
That's suppose to be "I HAVE a tiny dog" where that "t" crept in their, I have no idea.:)

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#89041 Aug 4, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweetheart, I wasn't walking in someone's freaking home!
I entered a business establishment. I do not expect a freaking pitbull would come tearing from the back room at me in a business that is NOT a dog business.
Your insensitivity is apalling.
Appalling but not surprising. I'm with you. Getting attacked and bitten by a dog with no provocation at all on my part was enough to make me wary of strange dogs for the rest of my life. Even now, almost 30 years after the fact, I still freeze up when a strange dog approaches, even if it's not being aggressive. And the thing is, I LOVE dogs.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#89042 Aug 4, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
There's always that first bite. Time and time again when a pit chewed up a person or another dog the owner says it never bit anyone before.
And before anyone starts on the "it's the owner bit" here's a quote from the woman who heads the pit rescue in LA (the largest one in the states). "This is a breed that one has to always stay one step ahead of at all times". I saw her on TV and this is just what she said.
Her actions due to her fear of dogs was appropriate, especially that one. Not only that, the owner has a significant liability due to that dog being loose in a business. He's very foolish.
South of where i am, Dade County where Miami is...completely outlawed Pitbulls in that county....years ago....It was also helpful in toning down the criminal and gang activity often surrounding that breed...let alone stopping any dogfighting......and kids attacked....

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#89043 Aug 4, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
There's always that first bite.
Yup. And the third, apparently. The dog that bit me was supposed to be quarantined to his yard (back) instead the owner had him in the garage, sans restraint and he ran down the driveway, around my ex-husband (to the street side) and bit ME on the ass. All I was doing was walking down the sidewalk. We hadn't even seen the dog until he attacked. He'd previously bit a kid and an elderly person, yet the stupid owner still had him loose free to attack anyone who happened by. Lucky me. I so should have sued.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#89044 Aug 4, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I have zero love for pitbulls. My post is not in defense of pit bulls I am just basing my comments on HER narrative. And as such, these are the "facts" as I see it

-this occurred inside of a private business, and therefore(to my knowledge) leash las don't apply
-the dog never threatened her
-she did not claim to have a fear of pitbulls, but a phobia of dogs in general
-she seemed extra put off by the owner/manager's tone

The way I see it, if 100 people a day come thru the doors and don't voice any problems with the dog, the dog has not threatened anyone in any way, the dog is not threatening her in any way, I'm not going to run to her rescue as if the dog had her jugular in his jaws. I'm going to tell her he doesn't bite as I make my way over to her to lead him away. I'm not going to run and tackle him. His comment " I heard you the first time" indicates to me that he was not moving fast enough to satisfy her and she complined more. She expected him to drop everything and run. Sorry, but the world does not have any duty to cater to every individual's phobia's, allergies, and idiosyncrasies.

I was not there, so I don't no any of the additional details. Was he in the middle of a transaction? Was the cash register opened? Did he have a customer's money in his hand? I've never been to a gun range. Do they leave weapons on the counter un-tended to? Could he have been in the middle of handling a weapon and needed to secure it before he walked away? Just saying that one person's phobia does not create an emergency situation for everyone else.

As consumer, she is free to not patronize his business for whatever reason she wants, but I just don't see him as a doosh for taking his time in getting his dog when the dog was not threatening her. This reeks of the same mindset of the people that write in complaining about people out in public that wear too much perfume or cologne and cause them to have a headache just expecting the rest of the world to adjust their habits to placate their condition. Shit don' work like that.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#89045 Aug 4, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate a tiny dog who normally would not frighten anyone. He is super friendly. I am cognizant that some people are afraid of dogs. I would NEVER have him off leash in a public place. As a dog owner I have a responsibility to have my dog not invade other people's personal space.
I have little dogs too, And when I open the front door, they run out and start sniffing whoever is there. I've had one person in 13 years claim to be afraid of them? WTF? Their pugs. Are you kidding me? Ok. Well wait outside for a minute. I put up some baby gates to corall them in the kitchen.

I will continue to conduct myself according to the most likely situation. the one that I have observed over and over. That most people don't have any problem or fear of my dogs. I won't conduct myself as if the one time aberration is the norm. I will deal with those situations as they arise.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#89046 Aug 4, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. And the third, apparently. The dog that bit me was supposed to be quarantined to his yard (back) instead the owner had him in the garage, sans restraint and he ran down the driveway, around my ex-husband (to the street side) and bit ME on the ass. All I was doing was walking down the sidewalk. We hadn't even seen the dog until he attacked. He'd previously bit a kid and an elderly person, yet the stupid owner still had him loose free to attack anyone who happened by. Lucky me. I so should have sued.
I've never been afraid of dogs, mom told me I'd walk up to dogs bigger then me when I was a kid. But now I understand what it means to be bitten. A few years ago my neighbor called me and asked if I would get his chow back in his yard. I've known this dog since he was a pup. He played in my yard with my dobe for years. So I go to the front of his house with a leash and sat on his front steps and called him to me. When I went to put the leash on he dug his teeth into my hand. He was never a friendly one but never menacing so it was a surprise. And it really hurt. You just never know what your dog will do. I've had dobes for over 40 years that would let the prison population in my house but I never took chances with any of them. Always were confined in a yard or on a leash.

To ridicule anyone with this fear about their reaction to a dog running toward them is just plain mean.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#89047 Aug 4, 2013
*THEY'RE* pugs

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#89048 Aug 4, 2013
Race/ Mimi

Rush Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland is on right now on Palladia. Running for the next 2 1/2 hours. Don't say I never did anything nice for you.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#89049 Aug 4, 2013
No, he was able to move quicker, but in my panicked state I was not processing his speed, only the fact this freaking dog was coming at me and I only kept it from jumping on me by using my rifle case as a shield.
If I were a business owener and a customer showed obvious fear, defensiveness wouldn't be my first reaction. For him to think we should all love a strange dog running at you in a business is rude.
He also must get it frequently and is tired of it.

I find dogs running free in a business rude. It's not expected and a major liability. He's a jerk and was completely unapologetic towards his customer. His sense of entitlement was repugnant.

Even dogs running free in a home should be trained not to jump on guests. You people let dogs jump on and sniff crotched of guests in your home are bad owners. It is rude. And the first thing out of people's mouth when you freeze, "It's okay-they won't bite you." Like that means I want it jumping on me and violating me. Be a better host-not everyone is in love with dogs.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#89050 Aug 5, 2013

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#89051 Aug 5, 2013
And I was attacked by a dog when I was 6. I have no fear as an adult. Maybe you need therapy?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#89052 Aug 5, 2013
Went mountain biking last Thursday and there was a stray pit puppy running around the parking lot. People like to dump dogs out in the country, apparently. He was gorgeous and friendly. Almost had me a 3rd dog. Apparently, mountain bikers are almost universally 'dog people', too. Everyone's standing around like "Well, I can't take him, I've got four at home already." "I've got three..." He did get picked up.

I see both sides of this argument. I understand fear and panic, but I also see having dogs around at a private business. All Chel can do is not patronize the business and tell them why, which she has. If some businees sets up shop somewhere where I'm required to get in a glass elevator or an open escalator to go to the 10th floor, they aren't getting my business, either, because that's my panic button.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#89053 Aug 5, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
I understand fear and panic, but I also see having dogs around at a private business. All Chel can do is not patronize the business and tell them why, which she has. If some businees sets up shop somewhere where I'm required to get in a glass elevator or an open escalator to go to the 10th floor, they aren't getting my business, either, because that's my panic button.
And sadly, we don't know UNTIL we step in. I went there because that's whre my club's shoot was. I walked in completely unaware. How do you know people will let crazy dogs run free in the business? I know it's a private business but it's catering to the PUBLIC.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#89054 Aug 5, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
And I was attacked by a dog when I was 6. I have no fear as an adult. Maybe you need therapy?
Are you grumpy because I didn't answer your call and wouldn't date you after you showered me with gifts when we met?

“reign in blood”

United States

#89056 Aug 5, 2013
Ok, chunzel, I'm sorry about your dog phobia. And you're right, the owner was a meanie buttface.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Portlandia 1,154,057
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Mothra 49,205
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 29 min jacques Ottawau 181,832
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 59 min JOEL 71,023
New Beach Boys song. 4 hr The Beach Boys 1
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 5 hr _Zoey_ 363
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr _Zoey_ 4,918
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:01 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:01PM
Cowboys' Murray listed as questionable for Colts - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
Bleacher Report11:56 AM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Live Score and Analysis for Philadelphia
Yahoo! Sports 5:54 PM
Eagles playoff hopes suffer with loss to Redskins
Bleacher Report 6:14 PM
RG3 Showing Enough to Remain Starter in WSH