“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#88998 Aug 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay- here is a piece of trivia for you.The fashion for wearing athletic shoes for commuting and putting on dress heels when you got yo the office started with the 1980 NYC transit strike. I was there. Women in Dress-for-Success suits with bow ties had on athletic shoes and were walking because there was no bus or subway service. It caught on.
Daghts: I am close to your vintage. I bought a pair or dress boots for work in July 1978 at Bloomingdales in NYC; I am reasonably sure I wore thin black leather boots with a maxi skirt to my first job after college in 1971.I worked at a publisher.
It's also been pretty common for a long. LONG time in places like Seattle and San Fran for women to wear at least flats if not actual athletic shoes because, you know, hills.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#88999 Aug 2, 2013
I've read that European women are mortified that American women wear sneakers to work with their power suits and briefcases.

I'm all for comfort. When I commuted by bus, I never wore my dressy shoes -- and by wearing them only indoors at work, they lasted a very long time.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#89000 Aug 2, 2013
RACE wrote:
If this had been a man who arranged sleepovers for his daughters lacross team, what do you think his sentence would have been?
When will this double standard end!
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hock...
Longer...but....that's only become a thing in recent (let's say the past 20-ish) years. Back in the day it was pretty common for a guy to get a slap on the wrist/minimal sentence then let back out on to the streets, to you know, repeat offend because he's a paedo.

Not excusing this woman. Whatever she did she should be sentenced the same as a man who'd done the same thing. Equality and all that.

Except for me personally,*I* should always have special consideration in all aspects of life because you know, I'm cute.:D

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#89001 Aug 2, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I've read that European women are mortified that American women wear sneakers to work with their power suits and briefcases.
I'm all for comfort. When I commuted by bus, I never wore my dressy shoes -- and by wearing them only indoors at work, they lasted a very long time.
In all the European cities I was in this year the girls/women dressed very stylishly and almost all of them wore flats, more so then sneakers. Flats are coming back.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#89002 Aug 2, 2013
Preaching to the choir honey! I been saying that for years!
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for me personally,*I* should always have special consideration in all aspects of life because you know, I'm cute.:D

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#89003 Aug 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay- here is a piece of trivia for you.The fashion for wearing athletic shoes for commuting and putting on dress heels when you got yo the office started with the 1980 NYC transit strike. I was there. Women in Dress-for-Success suits with bow ties had on athletic shoes and were walking because there was no bus or subway service. It caught on.
Daghts: I am close to your vintage. I bought a pair or dress boots for work in July 1978 at Bloomingdales in NYC; I am reasonably sure I wore thin black leather boots with a maxi skirt to my first job after college in 1971.I worked at a publisher.
My first job downtown was 1962. It's what you did if you weren't going to college. Wasn't going to wear galoshes.:)
Then in the mid-80's I was back working in the Loop and living in the city and was happy to wear sneakers to work.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#89004 Aug 2, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
In all the European cities I was in this year the girls/women dressed very stylishly and almost all of them wore flats, more so then sneakers. Flats are coming back.
This isn't Europe, honey.

(and you're not the first person I've had to remind about that little factoid. What is it with you people?)

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#89005 Aug 2, 2013
Don't worry dog, you can wear your heels as long as you like. You dont have to be a slave to fashion.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
(and you're not the first person I've had to remind about that little factoid. What is it with you people?)

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#89006 Aug 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now that we have verified your personal GPS is working... fats are very much in style in Chicago as well. The stiletto heels as part of business attire occurs only in advertising both the ads and possibly the profession. The women with any street cred' wear flats or pumps with a 2 " heel, max.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#89007 Aug 2, 2013
Flats are very much in style in Chicago

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#89008 Aug 2, 2013
I like it better when you said "fats".

Location hidden

#89009 Aug 2, 2013
Flats have been back for a year or two now, but I don't like 'em so I don't wear 'em. But the cute trendy girls at work wear them all the time.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#89010 Aug 2, 2013
I have a paper box full of shoes that I keep in file drawer at work. No way am I commuting in heels, unless they are the new pair of crocs sandals I just got. They're comfy and I could care less if they get nasty on the L.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#89011 Aug 2, 2013
And luckily for me, my mental state is such that my current task is right up my alley.

I have to fold and stuff 1800+ letters. I have been woozy and light-headed all day, and this is just perfect...

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#89012 Aug 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I've just been granted asylum in Russia, you bonehead.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#89013 Aug 2, 2013
Toj wrote:
I like it better when you said "fats".
That, too. The food there is so damn good.

Location hidden

#89014 Aug 2, 2013
I have a big, deep purple bruise on my upper arm. I hope someone asks about it tonight so I can say "Yeah, I didn't hear Nick the first time he told me to do something."

;)

COmpany picnic tonight, leaving in 7 minutes to help set up beer and pop!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#89015 Aug 2, 2013
squishymama wrote:
And luckily for me, my mental state is such that my current task is right up my alley.
I have to fold and stuff 1800+ letters. I have been woozy and light-headed all day, and this is just perfect...
Remember George's fiancee, Susan... on Seinfeld?....DON'T Lick those envelopes....lol....
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#89016 Aug 2, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
My coworker bought Jimmy Choos (they cost more than her wedding dress) for her wedding and she swears that they are comfortable and now she believes the actresses and models who say that the expensive ones are designed to support your feet properly and be far more comfortable than cheaper high heels.
It's true. I refuse to spend more than $30 for shoes.
I found some awesome snakeskin pink/black strappy stilettos at Aldo. They were $85 normally but the WEBSITE had them on sale for $15! If you buy them in the store they ship them to your home for free.
Those suckers are the highest shoes I have and never hurt!

But I still won't pay more than $30 for them, lol, so I troll Aldo online for sales...

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#89017 Aug 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Flats are very much in style in Chicago
last year hte girls in our summer intern program were wearing sky high heels, IIRC. this year, they seem to be in flats much more often, even when "dressed up". they also seem to be dressing more casually when not in suits than i remmeber from last year.

oh no.... did i get "old" all of a sudden? "these damn kids these days!" <shaking fist at nothing>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy 10-24 8 min edogxxx 2
Abby 10-24 13 min edogxxx 2
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 16 min Realtime 1,126,708
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 17 min JOEL 70,100
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 22 min wojar 179,387
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 26 min KiMare 50,624
Steve Wilkos : talk show host ? or simple mi... (Feb '08) 4 hr shell 365
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]