Chicago Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

are you sure you don't mean L2. the guy is obnoxious. if anything, the kids should say "thanks, dad", and that's it.
and does he ever say thanks to his wife? I wonder.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
First letter to Miss Manners is kind of obnoxious today:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style... ;
"I know you just had a 10 pound kid naturally, and are probably crapping out of your hooha on occasion, but I'm coming over to see the new spawn. Have some Strongbow on ice ready for me, and a nice meat and cheese tray prepped, mkay?"

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
First letter to Miss Manners is kind of obnoxious today:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style... ;
Also, what's up with the dad wanting the mom to thank him for taking the fam out to Denny's? Can't the KIDS thank the PARENTS for taking them out? As a kid, I never noticed who paid the bill. My parent's money was collective, as in, it was both of theirs, even though my mom didn't always work outside the home.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

dahgts wrote:
are you sure you don't mean L2. the guy is obnoxious. if anything, the kids should say "thanks, dad", and that's it.
and does he ever say thanks to his wife? I wonder.
Yes, I did mean L2! Thanks!(Although, L1 wasn't great either!)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

I liked this response in the MM column re: L2:

Living in Japan, I find a lot of the hierarchical formalism hard to take, but sometimes ceremony and ritual make life a lot easier and more sensible. Every meal begins with "itadakimasu," "I/we humbly receive," and ends with "gochiso sama deshita," "thanks for the bounty." EVERYBODY says it at EVERY meal, because everyone is obligated to others for the needs of their lives. They may be giving thanks to their spouses, the farmers and fishers, the local deity, their parents ... but putting food on the table is an occasion for thanks and awareness of our mutual interdependence. Only a boor would omit them--or think the thanks were his due alone.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Day Three of high heel training begins... I think it might be getting slightly easier. Actually, more accurate wording is that it might be getting slightly less horrible.

“What's it to ya?”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, what's up with the dad wanting the mom to thank him for taking the fam out to Denny's? Can't the KIDS thank the PARENTS for taking them out? As a kid, I never noticed who paid the bill. My parent's money was collective, as in, it was both of theirs, even though my mom didn't always work outside the home.
THis one pissed me off immensely. WTF dude? Really? It's FAMILY money, he IS entitled.

Ok, I need to stop reading advice columns now and go do that which I woke up two hours early to accomplish...

Wait, doesn't Prudie do a column today? Damn.

“What's it to ya?”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
Day Three of high heel training begins... I think it might be getting slightly easier. Actually, more accurate wording is that it might be getting slightly less horrible.
You have my total respect for keeping it up. I would have given up after the first 5 minutes. I wouldn't be able to stand the pain. Also, my knees can't take the punishment these days, so there's that.:)

On the up side Payless shoes is having a 50% off clearance sale and I have a coupon for an additional 20% off, so I might go stock up for next summer. Yay! Yesterday I found three pairs of sandals that I bought last year on clearance that I haven't even worn yet, so I don't *need* to do it, but there's a cute pair of white (off white but white) wedgies that I *can* wear that I will end up paying like $7.00 for so I think I really need to go shoe shopping.

Also I need to figure out how I'm getting $1500.00 extra dollars for tuition by the end of September, and I don't have a clue, I was thinking of asking online, you know, "everyone send $1.00 to y paypal account and tell your friends to send $1.00"....but obnoxious right? LOL

So shoe shopping might be out...:(

“What's it to ya?”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I liked this response in the MM column re: L2:
Living in Japan, I find a lot of the hierarchical formalism hard to take, but sometimes ceremony and ritual make life a lot easier and more sensible. Every meal begins with "itadakimasu," "I/we humbly receive," and ends with "gochiso sama deshita," "thanks for the bounty." EVERYBODY says it at EVERY meal, because everyone is obligated to others for the needs of their lives. They may be giving thanks to their spouses, the farmers and fishers, the local deity, their parents ... but putting food on the table is an occasion for thanks and awareness of our mutual interdependence. Only a boor would omit them--or think the thanks were his due alone.
I liked this one too. It's not so much thanking a deity as it is acknowledging that no one is an island, no one does their life without other people somehow being involved.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Okay. I'm bored.

DeathClock .com says that if I have a normal outlook I will live to 79, but if I am optimistic I will get to be 94 1/4 on June 24, 2044; Wharton School (U PA)Gosset scale, asking much more information tells me I will make it to 91; Bureau of Labor Statistics says 84 1/2.

FWIW both parents are alive and in their 80's, grandparents died at 72, 77,76 and 93.

“What's it to ya?”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Prudie:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...

I haven't read it yet but it talks about penises in the headline so...

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
You have my total respect for keeping it up. I would have given up after the first 5 minutes. I wouldn't be able to stand the pain. Also, my knees can't take the punishment these days, so there's that.:)
It's literally just the balls of my feet that hurt; my knees and back are fine (I think those problems develop after YEARS of wearing heels a lot). I have noticed sore muscles in my legs though but that's no big deal, it just feels like I've been working out a little. Which I guess I have, in a way....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Okay. I'm bored.
DeathClock .com says that if I have a normal outlook I will live to 79, but if I am optimistic I will get to be 94 1/4 on June 24, 2044; Wharton School (U PA)Gosset scale, asking much more information tells me I will make it to 91; Bureau of Labor Statistics says 84 1/2.
FWIW both parents are alive and in their 80's, grandparents died at 72, 77,76 and 93.
Mine told me 99. May 14, 2067.

“What's it to ya?”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine told me 99. May 14, 2067.
September 16, 2031 68. So yay not that much longer to go.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Death Clock told me I'd live until I'm 95. I'm good with that.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Heh. But talk to me on my 94th birthday.

“What's it to ya?”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

If I start to be optimistic and stop smoking, it gives me an extra 20 years...meh.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

I put "optimistic," but I thought I heard/read recently that research showed that peeople with pessimistic outlooks lived longer becuase they didn't bury their head in the sand with their health and pretend that nothing could happen to them.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I put "optimistic," but I thought I heard/read recently that research showed that peeople with pessimistic outlooks lived longer becuase they didn't bury their head in the sand with their health and pretend that nothing could happen to them.
I'd be surprised about that. All the people I know who have lived past 90 have been optimistic people. But that's just people I know so it's not a research formal thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

44 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 57 min danetoo 67,897
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr THE DEVIL 1,079,017
Obama Gives Trillions for Wall Street, Not a Di... 2 hr Pete 11
Cheap Tomatoes 3 hr KidsWillSellTomatoesCHEAP 3
demo-crats are the root of violent crime in chi... 3 hr yamimi 5
Our Cities Will Burn Because We Didnít Protect ... 3 hr Why 2
This Jew Canít Support Israel 3 hr Why 3
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr Guy 174,508
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 24 at 3:20AM CDT

•••
•••
•••