“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#88955 Aug 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I liked this response in the MM column re: L2:
Living in Japan, I find a lot of the hierarchical formalism hard to take, but sometimes ceremony and ritual make life a lot easier and more sensible. Every meal begins with "itadakimasu," "I/we humbly receive," and ends with "gochiso sama deshita," "thanks for the bounty." EVERYBODY says it at EVERY meal, because everyone is obligated to others for the needs of their lives. They may be giving thanks to their spouses, the farmers and fishers, the local deity, their parents ... but putting food on the table is an occasion for thanks and awareness of our mutual interdependence. Only a boor would omit them--or think the thanks were his due alone.
I liked this one too. It's not so much thanking a deity as it is acknowledging that no one is an island, no one does their life without other people somehow being involved.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88956 Aug 1, 2013
Okay. I'm bored.

DeathClock .com says that if I have a normal outlook I will live to 79, but if I am optimistic I will get to be 94 1/4 on June 24, 2044; Wharton School (U PA)Gosset scale, asking much more information tells me I will make it to 91; Bureau of Labor Statistics says 84 1/2.

FWIW both parents are alive and in their 80's, grandparents died at 72, 77,76 and 93.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#88957 Aug 1, 2013
Prudie:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...

I haven't read it yet but it talks about penises in the headline so...

Miami, FL

#88958 Aug 1, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
You have my total respect for keeping it up. I would have given up after the first 5 minutes. I wouldn't be able to stand the pain. Also, my knees can't take the punishment these days, so there's that.:)
It's literally just the balls of my feet that hurt; my knees and back are fine (I think those problems develop after YEARS of wearing heels a lot). I have noticed sore muscles in my legs though but that's no big deal, it just feels like I've been working out a little. Which I guess I have, in a way....

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#88959 Aug 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Okay. I'm bored.
DeathClock .com says that if I have a normal outlook I will live to 79, but if I am optimistic I will get to be 94 1/4 on June 24, 2044; Wharton School (U PA)Gosset scale, asking much more information tells me I will make it to 91; Bureau of Labor Statistics says 84 1/2.
FWIW both parents are alive and in their 80's, grandparents died at 72, 77,76 and 93.
Mine told me 99. May 14, 2067.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#88960 Aug 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine told me 99. May 14, 2067.
September 16, 2031 68. So yay not that much longer to go.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#88961 Aug 1, 2013
Death Clock told me I'd live until I'm 95. I'm good with that.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#88962 Aug 1, 2013
Heh. But talk to me on my 94th birthday.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#88963 Aug 1, 2013
If I start to be optimistic and stop smoking, it gives me an extra 20 years...meh.

Location hidden

#88964 Aug 1, 2013
I put "optimistic," but I thought I heard/read recently that research showed that peeople with pessimistic outlooks lived longer becuase they didn't bury their head in the sand with their health and pretend that nothing could happen to them.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#88965 Aug 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I put "optimistic," but I thought I heard/read recently that research showed that peeople with pessimistic outlooks lived longer becuase they didn't bury their head in the sand with their health and pretend that nothing could happen to them.
I'd be surprised about that. All the people I know who have lived past 90 have been optimistic people. But that's just people I know so it's not a research formal thing.

Location hidden

#88967 Aug 1, 2013
Mimi -- a friend said she changed deathclock to "sadistic" (from optimistic) and said it told her she'd die in January 2014. hEH.
Mimi

United States

#88968 Aug 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Mimi -- a friend said she changed deathclock to "sadistic" (from optimistic) and said it told her she'd die in January 2014. hEH.
Lololol

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#88969 Aug 1, 2013
It said that my MIL should already be dead.

Miami, FL

#88970 Aug 1, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
HA!

Location hidden

#88971 Aug 1, 2013
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politi...

Create your own Carlos Danger alias!

Location hidden

#88972 Aug 1, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
I can't help but laugh at that!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#88973 Aug 1, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd be surprised about that. All the people I know who have lived past 90 have been optimistic people. But that's just people I know so it's not a research formal thing.
We lost my great Aunt at 105 and she was always cheerful and optimistic, even though at times...her life on the farm in Michigan, must have been tough...She unfortunatly did'nt know who i was for the last 10-15 years....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#88974 Aug 1, 2013
eh, I don't know who you are either.

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>We lost my great Aunt at 105 and she was always cheerful and optimistic, even though at times...her life on the farm in Michigan, must have been tough...She unfortunatly did'nt know who i was for the last 10-15 years....

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#88975 Aug 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
http://www.slate.com/articles/ news_and_politics/low_concept/ 2013/07/carlos_danger_name_gen erator_use_our_widget_to_get_a _name_like_anthony_weiner.html
Create your own Carlos Danger alias!
Weiner has a political ad saying that New Yorkers are tough and don't give up. On the Daily Show Oliver said...don't go 9/11ing your d!ck pics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,155,957
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 36 min KiMare 51,291
Jackie Robinson Little League 48 min very disappointed 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 59 min IBdaMann 49,324
amy 12-26 2 hr RACE 3
abby 12-26 2 hr RACE 3
Chicago police stop black motorists more, ACLU ... 2 hr Big Red 2
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]