“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#88911 Jul 31, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Happy Hump Day!
Since I read this earlier, I keep hearing the camel from the Geico commercial:

C'mon Dave! I know you can hear me! What day is it?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88912 Jul 31, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
And here I thought it was a way to drink a lot of wine and gossip.
That, too. But you have to have that cover story.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88913 Jul 31, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Matilda: A site for those raised Seventh-Day Adventist. I thought with your fundie background, you might "get" some of this more than I did.
http://stfu-sda-fundies.tumblr.com/page/2
I don't know much about SDAs, but yeah, some of those are universal with the overly religious.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#88914 Jul 31, 2013
I read a story about cops arresting a 14 yr old kid for looking at them the wrong way.

Will google for the link
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure I read about a SCOTUS case a few years back where they ruled that cops can't harass/arrest someone for saying whatever they want to say...because...free speech and stuff. Spitting however, is assault, so yeah.

Neda, stay with me!

#88915 Jul 31, 2013
Here it is, chocked the crap outta him too!
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure I read about a SCOTUS case a few years back where they ruled that cops can't harass/arrest someone for saying whatever they want to say...because...free speech and stuff. Spitting however, is assault, so yeah.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88916 Jul 31, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right -- I even had a customer service person tell me that's what they were doing (I'd heard about this and asked).
When I worked in the inbound call center, most of the time, I had the person's info up right after they told me their name, presuming I spelled it halfway right. Asking the address was just to verify, and asking a phone number was just in case we got disconnected. A lot of the time, while they were verifying stuff, I was jotting down notes about why they called in the first place.

Like, they'd say "My name is Bob Smith and blah blah blah diarrhea of the mouth story with lots of details." So I'd say "Ok, Mr. Smith can I ask you to verify your address?" while I typed all that stuff down.

Neda, stay with me!

#88917 Jul 31, 2013
“if you clench your fist that’s a sign of aggression, we have the ability to defuse that situation and redirect you in order to defuse the situation,” with “redirect” referring to forcing the teen onto the ground.

What a load of crap! If Im 300 ft away and I clench my fists, a cop has the right to tazer me?

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#88918 Jul 31, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
This was big news back when it first broke -- Feb. 2012 -- but I think that's because Target's HQ is here, so Target is in our news quite a lot, especially the business management angle.
"What Target discovered fairly quickly is that it creeped people out that the company knew about their pregnancies in advance."
When you call various businesses/utilities, you may be asked for your name, home phone, and other info, but invariably, they already have all that info right in front of them, and they are asking for it from you for two reasons:(1) they want to verify that it's YOU, and (2) customers had been freaking out when they didn't have to provide any of it, that they were told "Oh, I have that info already right here on my screen."
we were visiting my brotehr in germany when the story broke... i have the image in my mind of reading it on SIL's iPad in their kitchen...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#88920 Jul 31, 2013
Race: Ouch!

DECATUR, Ala.—Authorities say a north Alabama man died on the Tennessee
River when the bass boat he was riding in struck a low-hanging wire near a
Tennessee Valley Authority power plant, nearly decapitating him.
Officials say crews were performing work on the line near TVA's Browns
Ferry Nuclear Plant.
A TVA statement called Wednesday's accident "unusual and unfortunate" and
said the federal utility was investigating what happened.
Killed was 65-year-old Anthony Szozda. Morgan County Coroner Jeff Chunn
says Szozda was a passenger in a boat that was participating in a fishing
tournament.
Police say the boat was traveling about 70 mph at the time of the accident,
about 5:15 p.m. Tuesday.
The driver of the boat wasn't injured.

Location hidden

#88921 Jul 31, 2013
Guy here at work, in his 60s, has great stories from growing up here and from his time in Viet Nam. Here's one from his HS years:

Bob's story: He grew up on one of the lakes here in town, and one summer day he and his friends were out on the lake boating and some new water ski/ski jumping club put in a ramp and told them they had to get off the lake so the skiiers could practice. Bob and his friends refused to leave (they weren't doing anything wrong). So the skiiers went and got the cops -- Ramsey county deputies showed up and told bob and his
friends they had to stay off the lake when the skiiers wanted it.(absolutely not a legitimate request -- the lake is open to everybody.)

So the next weekend when there was a ski show, bob and his buddies went out in the dark the night before and covered the ski ramp with varnish then
sprinkled sand all over the wet varnish.

THen the next day, the all got in the fishing boat and sat under the 694 bridge to watch. The ski group had a guy go out to hook up the hose and water pump to keep the ramp wet but he never looked at the actual ramp.

The first skiier to do the ramp, his skis just sort of came to a stop before they could comlete the jump, and the jumper left his skis and went
flying into the water. Bob said that after that, the ski group didn't mess with them, and bob and his friends tried to give the skiers more room when they were on the lake. A peaceful co-existence.

Location hidden

#88922 Jul 31, 2013
Yikes, a Clinton-Lewinsky sex tape is being released this week.

"According to Radar, the former White House intern told Clinton she was “too cute and adorable” to be ignored. Clinton’s voice is not heard.

“I could take my clothes off and start…well…I know you wouldn’t enjoy that? I hope to see you later and I hope you will follow my script and do what I want,” Lewinsky reportedly said in the recording."

Well, there goes my theory that the authoritarian figure took advantage of her naivete.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#88923 Jul 31, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Guy here at work, in his 60s, has great stories from growing up here and from his time in Viet Nam. Here's one from his HS years:
Bob's story: He grew up on one of the lakes here in town, and one summer day he and his friends were out on the lake boating and some new water ski/ski jumping club put in a ramp and told them they had to get off the lake so the skiiers could practice. Bob and his friends refused to leave (they weren't doing anything wrong). So the skiiers went and got the cops -- Ramsey county deputies showed up and told bob and his
friends they had to stay off the lake when the skiiers wanted it.(absolutely not a legitimate request -- the lake is open to everybody.)

So the next weekend when there was a ski show, bob and his buddies went out in the dark the night before and covered the ski ramp with varnish then
sprinkled sand all over the wet varnish.
THen the next day, the all got in the fishing boat and sat under the 694 bridge to watch. The ski group had a guy go out to hook up the hose and water pump to keep the ramp wet but he never looked at the actual ramp.
The first skiier to do the ramp, his skis just sort of came to a stop before they could comlete the jump, and the jumper left his skis and went
flying into the water. Bob said that after that, the ski group didn't mess with them, and bob and his friends tried to give the skiers more room when they were on the lake. A peaceful co-existence.
I love this story! We're a water ski family. Years ago my uncle got up on skis for the first time. He saw the club's ski ramp and decided he would use it. It wasn't watered down and he went flying holding onto the rope. Skis stayed on the ramp. Telling people to get off a public lake is just wrong. We didn't even do that at our private club which was previously a strip mine. Thanks for the good laugh.

Neda, stay with me!

#88924 Jul 31, 2013
Ouch indeed. If the boat actually struck the line, then it must have been a single console on the drivers side, so that is probably why the driver did not get whacked too. It must have slid up the console and gotten just high enough for the driver. Poor guy, but I bet he really did die doing what he loved, even if not in the desired manner.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Race: Ouch!
DECATUR, Ala.—Authorities say a north Alabama man died on the Tennessee
River when the bass boat he was riding in struck a low-hanging wire near a
Tennessee Valley Authority power plant, nearly decapitating him.
Officials say crews were performing work on the line near TVA's Browns
Ferry Nuclear Plant.
A TVA statement called Wednesday's accident "unusual and unfortunate" and
said the federal utility was investigating what happened.
Killed was 65-year-old Anthony Szozda. Morgan County Coroner Jeff Chunn
says Szozda was a passenger in a boat that was participating in a fishing
tournament.
Police say the boat was traveling about 70 mph at the time of the accident,
about 5:15 p.m. Tuesday.
The driver of the boat wasn't injured.

Location hidden

#88925 Jul 31, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I love this story! We're a water ski family. Years ago my uncle got up on skis for the first time. He saw the club's ski ramp and decided he would use it. It wasn't watered down and he went flying holding onto the rope. Skis stayed on the ramp. Telling people to get off a public lake is just wrong. We didn't even do that at our private club which was previously a strip mine. Thanks for the good laugh.
I'm glad it struck your funny bone! Bob has good stories.

Like when he was a HS senior, his parents went out of town for the weekend. Bob had all his buddies over to swim in the lake and grill out for the weekend.

A few nights later, bob's dad BLEW A GASKET when he went down to the deep freeze to get steaks and discovered that bob and his buddies had cleaned out all the meat -- like, the side of beef that was in the freezer!

Location hidden

#88926 Jul 31, 2013
RACE wrote:
Ouch indeed. If the boat actually struck the line, then it must have been a single console on the drivers side, so that is probably why the driver did not get whacked too. It must have slid up the console and gotten just high enough for the driver. Poor guy, but I bet he really did die doing what he loved, even if not in the desired manner.
<quoted text>
When I think about how low that wire had to be hanging, on a river where there was a sanctioned fishing tournament, I am inclined to suspect extreme negligence and that there could be a big lawsuit.

Neda, stay with me!

#88927 Jul 31, 2013
With out a doubt. It was a navigational hazard, and should have been marked with reflective tape or something.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
When I think about how low that wire had to be hanging, on a river where there was a sanctioned fishing tournament, I am inclined to suspect extreme negligence and that there could be a big lawsuit.
dahgts

Chicago Heights, IL

#88929 Jul 31, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad it struck your funny bone! Bob has good stories.
Like when he was a HS senior, his parents went out of town for the weekend. Bob had all his buddies over to swim in the lake and grill out for the weekend.
A few nights later, bob's dad BLEW A GASKET when he went down to the deep freeze to get steaks and discovered that bob and his buddies had cleaned out all the meat -- like, the side of beef that was in the freezer!
he sounds like my brother. as a teen he would go out to this club and if not begging food
from campers , he would go to the snack shack and charge food. dad would come out and get hit with the tab. kids!! course I later found out what my kid was doing at the beach while I was in the trailer playing yahtzee and drinking wine.
dahgts

Chicago Heights, IL

#88931 Jul 31, 2013
has anybody seen Sharknado on Syfy channel?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88932 Jul 31, 2013
dahgts wrote:
has anybody seen Sharknado on Syfy channel?
Not yet. That is exactly the kind of thing J likes to make me watch.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88933 Jul 31, 2013
Which reminds me..."Mud" and "Killer Joe": two Matthew McConaughey movies that completely redeem him for all the sh1t movies you've seen him in. Recommend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Incognito4Ever 1,109,006
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 18 min J RULES 69,347
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 36 min loose cannon 177,958
In Chicago's war zones, the tragedy extends bey... 40 min SMH 3
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 50 min litesong 46,575
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 55 min what a loser 4,017
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 1 hr SLY WEST 1,121
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••