Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

So we had a lovely time with my good sister, her friends (we've been camping with them before; they're good peeps) and my niece (who didn't think she could come) up at this lake house in Wisconsin. The weather was absolute cr@p, however. So cold we spent most of the time around the fire and when we did venture out on the boat, we were wrapped up in towels and an unzipped down sleeping bag. Totally ridiculous for the end of July.

We even left with plenty of time so we wouldn't be unloading the car in the dark with two asleep children. And we got home just in time to hold the guinea pig in our arms while he died. We're not really sure what happened. The young man who we got to tend to him (12 yo downstairs neighbor) said he was acting totally normal that morning when he fed him. Of course, now he feels terrible and we're devastated, in my case surprisingly so. I didn't think that I'd grown that attached to the little blighter, but there it is.

We have to figure out what to do with him now; he's in a shoebox on the back porch. The in-laws have offered to help pay for him to be cremated and buried in the St. Francis garden at church (along with their three dogs) but that seems a bit much for a guinea pig. I think we'll probably just dig a deep hole in the garden and find some kind of garden art to use as a marker.

And of course, Lulu is already asking to get another. I think we will probaby take a guinea pig-owning break and see how we feel in a few weeks (months maybe). But if we do decide to get another, we're going to get one (or more likely two) from the guinea pig rescue place in the south suburbs.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

squishymama wrote:
So we had a lovely time with my good sister, her friends (we've been camping with them before; they're good peeps) and my niece (who didn't think she could come) up at this lake house in Wisconsin. The weather was absolute cr@p, however. So cold we spent most of the time around the fire and when we did venture out on the boat, we were wrapped up in towels and an unzipped down sleeping bag. Totally ridiculous for the end of July.
We even left with plenty of time so we wouldn't be unloading the car in the dark with two asleep children. And we got home just in time to hold the guinea pig in our arms while he died. We're not really sure what happened. The young man who we got to tend to him (12 yo downstairs neighbor) said he was acting totally normal that morning when he fed him. Of course, now he feels terrible and we're devastated, in my case surprisingly so. I didn't think that I'd grown that attached to the little blighter, but there it is.
We have to figure out what to do with him now; he's in a shoebox on the back porch. The in-laws have offered to help pay for him to be cremated and buried in the St. Francis garden at church (along with their three dogs) but that seems a bit much for a guinea pig. I think we'll probably just dig a deep hole in the garden and find some kind of garden art to use as a marker.
And of course, Lulu is already asking to get another. I think we will probaby take a guinea pig-owning break and see how we feel in a few weeks (months maybe). But if we do decide to get another, we're going to get one (or more likely two) from the guinea pig rescue place in the south suburbs.
That's rough. My sister, who is otherwise a pretty resilient person, lost it when she had to take her guinea pig in to be euthanized. Don't let it sit too long. Not only will it smell but the carrion eaters , like the crows, will be attracted.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
Hi all! I can't believe no one posted this yet...
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/29/pope...
Interesting.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

squishymama wrote:
Whaaaat? Well, crap. I'm sorry about that. When they go, they go pretty quickly. They're prey animals, so they hide being sick pretty well.

FWIW, I always did the group cremation at the vet's office with mine. You get a little clay thing with their name and footprints and it only costs about $20.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

squishymama wrote:
Glad you had a good weekend. Sorry about the guinea pig.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
Hi all! I can't believe no one posted this yet...
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/29/pope...
It is being spun in a variety of ways depending on which news site you read. Some are emphasizing not judging gays, other not judging gay clergy; none have mentioned acceptance of divorced Catholics.

If he can cause this attitude to permeate the Church down to the parish level he will have accomplished something rare and good.

However, and I hope I am wrong here, given his seemingly casual comments on controversial subjects and his dismissive approach to security, he may not have a long papacy.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Whaaaat? Well, crap. I'm sorry about that. When they go, they go pretty quickly. They're prey animals, so they hide being sick pretty well.
FWIW, I always did the group cremation at the vet's office with mine. You get a little clay thing with their name and footprints and it only costs about $20.
I never thought about the prey-animal aspect of it; that makes total sense.

I'll inquire about the cremation at the vet (I can swing $20 but not much more), but Lulu got really freaked out when I explained what that was so it may be moot anyway.

I kinda like the idea of putting him in the garden near the lilac bush.

And thank you for the sympathy; I knew if anyone would understand, it would be you. I'm just really surprised at myself; there's still the snake-owning part of me that's whispering "it was just a really expensive lunch, you softie!"

I mean, of course I'm going to feel bad for my children, I just didn't think I'd feel bad for me!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

squishymama wrote:
Sorry about the little guy.:( I'm the only one who gets bummed when Nick's youngest loses a fish from the tank.

Cremation will cost over $100, most likely, because it's more expensive when you want the actual ashes back (b/c they they do an individual cremation).

I'd suggest just burying him in the backyard with a nice rock as a head stone, if your girls are okay with that.(Burying him nice and deep.)

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I never thought about the prey-animal aspect of it; that makes total sense.
I'll inquire about the cremation at the vet (I can swing $20 but not much more), but Lulu got really freaked out when I explained what that was so it may be moot anyway.
I kinda like the idea of putting him in the garden near the lilac bush.
And thank you for the sympathy; I knew if anyone would understand, it would be you. I'm just really surprised at myself; there's still the snake-owning part of me that's whispering "it was just a really expensive lunch, you softie!"
I mean, of course I'm going to feel bad for my children, I just didn't think I'd feel bad for me!
They grow on you, the little stinkers. They're not dogs or cats, but they have personality, and damn they are cute, even when they're big and old. I got rid of alllll my guinea pig stuff as mine were dying off, otherwise I'd be tempted everytime I go to the pet store. NO. Dogs are enough.

Understandable about burying him; my dad always humored me in that respect with my parakeets and hamsters when I was a kid. That reminds me, J's ferret is buried in our backyard somewhere. We've been doing a lot of landscaping and tilling and whatnot. I should ask, because I don't want to unearth him.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

So, on the 22nd of August, J and I rent a trailer and caravan it down to Tennessee with SIL and her fiance to their new school. Where we will hopefully not see them until Thanksgiving. I am so excited, I could weep.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

I just slice off a chunk, then cut the fruit from the skin, then cut into chunks or whatever.

I never bother with a mango till it is slightly soft and I can smell the fruit. If I cant smell the fruit, it aint ready, and if it is firm and I can smell it, it still aint ready (for me).

Grilling: Just put it on the grill for an hour, turn it occasionally if you like, or just let is sit. Then split it open with a knife, cut it so you have the skin like a pair of doors, peel them back and eat the inside with a spoon. Nom-nom!
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you slice them so you get anything other than the long sides?Do you peel them first?
I have seen the video of doing th criss cross cuts and turning the skin inside out but that only works on the outer slice, 2 per fruit. What about the rest?
How do you grill them? Do you use a soft ripe one on the grill or a firm one?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

We're renovating our office here at work. Two areas are done, now they're starting to work on my area. I had all my stuff except computer/phone moved a month ago and then my boss changed her mind and doesn't want us to move yet. So for a month I went back and forth from my computer at my old desk, to my new temporary desk where ALL my stuff was. The plan was to move temporarily to another department and then move back to my newly remodeled workspace.

Then today one of the workers tells her we can't be in our area from 5:30 a.m. to at least 11 tomorrow morning, as he will be working overhead.

So she tells me to go ahead and have X move my computer stuff to the temporary spot.(No, thanks, no need to bother the IT guy, I can do this myself, despite her protests to the contrary.)

So as I'm packing up my computer and phone onto a cart, she says "WHen he's done tomorrow, you can move back here." Um, no. I told her I'm not doing that and I walked to my new cube. "Alrighty then" i heard her say. Geez, the control issues are strong in that one.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you slice them so you get anything other than the long sides?
?? You don't. The long sides is all you get. The rest of it that's wrapped around the seed? That for you to gnaw off and suck dry till nothing's left but the seed and the juice that ran down your arm. Here's a tutorial, rookie.

http://youtu.be/u9kmqVIiZy4...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>?? You don't. The long sides is all you get. The rest of it that's wrapped around the seed? That for you to gnaw off and suck dry till nothing's left but the seed and the juice that ran down your arm. Here's a tutorial, rookie.
http://youtu.be/u9kmqVIiZy4...
They charge $1.00 a mango on sale up here. I want to get all the meat off to use it.

Okay- I'm on a mission. I will let you know what the foodies say.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>They charge $1.00 a mango on sale up here. I want to get all the meat off to use it.
Okay- I'm on a mission. I will let you know what the foodies say.
That's a good price. Regular price just yesterday was $1.69 each. Gonna hit the produce market this week to see if its cheaper.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Last year I got a dollar a piece or six for five bucks.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>That's a good price. Regular price just yesterday was $1.69 each. Gonna hit the produce market this week to see if its cheaper.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

We have successfully buried the young man. The hole was not too hard to dig really deep; we hit mostly-sand about six inches down and it was easy from there. Every kid over the age of six took a turn laying on their bellies to scoop some out and we had a small crowd for the actual internment so we weren't able to say any prayers or anything; there was some pushing and shoving to get a better view. Lulu made a little bouquet of some purple flowers she found in the garden and some parsley (Streak's favorite) tied together with a long stem of grass and we put that right on top of him and let the kids fill in the hole. We used a garden ornament that was in a different part of the garden as a temporary marker until we find something more suitable; perhaps one of those stepping stone kits with glass beads and mosaic tiles...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

squishymama wrote:
We have successfully buried the young man. The hole was not too hard to dig really deep; we hit mostly-sand about six inches down and it was easy from there. Every kid over the age of six took a turn laying on their bellies to scoop some out and we had a small crowd for the actual internment so we weren't able to say any prayers or anything; there was some pushing and shoving to get a better view. Lulu made a little bouquet of some purple flowers she found in the garden and some parsley (Streak's favorite) tied together with a long stem of grass and we put that right on top of him and let the kids fill in the hole. We used a garden ornament that was in a different part of the garden as a temporary marker until we find something more suitable; perhaps one of those stepping stone kits with glass beads and mosaic tiles...
Amen

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

squishymama wrote:
You're a good mom. Your people are good people. Your daughters are awesome, sensitive little girls.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 87,581 - 87,600 of97,458
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

48 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min woodtick57 1,073,202
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 min No Warming 45,600
This is a great ad. 34 min Harold B Alls 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Rogue Scholar 05 173,779
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr Riigsby5555 48,700
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr voice of peace 67,553
A kid-friendly guide to the Windy City 4 hr Tgloaded 1
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••