Comments
87,561 - 87,580 of 97,948 Comments Last updated 20 hrs ago

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#88810 Jul 27, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Teehee, he was awkward. Very socially awkward, like almost Sheldon Cooper awkward. Not that bad or smart. He seemed sooo nervous and insecure, which is not very attractive in a 38 y/o man.
Will give him another shot--unless something is glaring, a 2nd date helps figure stuff out...
Definitely if you liked him well enough go for the second date.

Lots of people are really nervous on a first date.*I* am, I'm just good at hiding it. All those years working in the salon made me need to be "social" even though it was all an act. I just liked making money, so I learned how to pretend. Not everyone can really do that, so they act how they're feeling.

Of course if he isn't at least a *little* more relaxed after the second date, you might want to think about whether you want to spend time on a third... Not really my business or anything, just being nosey and bossy.:D

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#88811 Jul 27, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of WI?
Check your old emails. I sent you a message last week.
We took a left at Fond du Lac and drove for about an hour. The weather sucks.

I saw, just never had a chance to look up the available options and feeling very poor.
dahgts

Chicago Heights, IL

#88812 Jul 28, 2013

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88813 Jul 28, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T39MQ5NV2I...

Amy with the date typo corrected.(I really should check here first- would have seen Dahgts already flagged it.)

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#88814 Jul 28, 2013
PEllen wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/chi cago/T39MQ5NV2ICBJAAAU#lastPos t
Amy with the date typo corrected.(I really should check here first- would have seen Dahgts already flagged it.)
Thanks...maybe one more coffee would have helped my typing.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#88815 Jul 28, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely if you liked him well enough go for the second date.
Lots of people are really nervous on a first date.*I* am, I'm just good at hiding it. All those years working in the salon made me need to be "social" even though it was all an act. I just liked making money, so I learned how to pretend. Not everyone can really do that, so they act how they're feeling.
Of course if he isn't at least a *little* more relaxed after the second date, you might want to think about whether you want to spend time on a third... Not really my business or anything, just being nosey and bossy.:D
Nose and boss away-I offered my life. ;p
He called the next day (!) wanting to set up a date for this coming weekend. I haven't called back yet. I hate the phone and I was busy...probably later this afternoon.
The other guy that I like a bit more hasn't called since our Thursday date. I was meh on him but date 2 was really nice. We shall see...he seemed interested for more, but I always think that and never hear from them again, lol.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#88816 Jul 29, 2013

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#88817 Jul 29, 2013
Well, that last batch of rain seems to have been the trigger for the mango's, they are starting to fall ripe. Have grilled a couple, delicious!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#88818 Jul 29, 2013
RACE wrote:
Well, that last batch of rain seems to have been the trigger for the mango's, they are starting to fall ripe. Have grilled a couple, delicious!
How do you slice them so you get anything other than the long sides?Do you peel them first?

I have seen the video of doing th criss cross cuts and turning the skin inside out but that only works on the outer slice, 2 per fruit. What about the rest?
How do you grill them? Do you use a soft ripe one on the grill or a firm one?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#88819 Jul 29, 2013

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#88820 Jul 29, 2013
Hi all! I can't believe no one posted this yet...

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/29/pope...

Evanston IL

#88821 Jul 29, 2013
So we had a lovely time with my good sister, her friends (we've been camping with them before; they're good peeps) and my niece (who didn't think she could come) up at this lake house in Wisconsin. The weather was absolute cr@p, however. So cold we spent most of the time around the fire and when we did venture out on the boat, we were wrapped up in towels and an unzipped down sleeping bag. Totally ridiculous for the end of July.

We even left with plenty of time so we wouldn't be unloading the car in the dark with two asleep children. And we got home just in time to hold the guinea pig in our arms while he died. We're not really sure what happened. The young man who we got to tend to him (12 yo downstairs neighbor) said he was acting totally normal that morning when he fed him. Of course, now he feels terrible and we're devastated, in my case surprisingly so. I didn't think that I'd grown that attached to the little blighter, but there it is.

We have to figure out what to do with him now; he's in a shoebox on the back porch. The in-laws have offered to help pay for him to be cremated and buried in the St. Francis garden at church (along with their three dogs) but that seems a bit much for a guinea pig. I think we'll probably just dig a deep hole in the garden and find some kind of garden art to use as a marker.

And of course, Lulu is already asking to get another. I think we will probaby take a guinea pig-owning break and see how we feel in a few weeks (months maybe). But if we do decide to get another, we're going to get one (or more likely two) from the guinea pig rescue place in the south suburbs.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#88822 Jul 29, 2013
squishymama wrote:
So we had a lovely time with my good sister, her friends (we've been camping with them before; they're good peeps) and my niece (who didn't think she could come) up at this lake house in Wisconsin. The weather was absolute cr@p, however. So cold we spent most of the time around the fire and when we did venture out on the boat, we were wrapped up in towels and an unzipped down sleeping bag. Totally ridiculous for the end of July.
We even left with plenty of time so we wouldn't be unloading the car in the dark with two asleep children. And we got home just in time to hold the guinea pig in our arms while he died. We're not really sure what happened. The young man who we got to tend to him (12 yo downstairs neighbor) said he was acting totally normal that morning when he fed him. Of course, now he feels terrible and we're devastated, in my case surprisingly so. I didn't think that I'd grown that attached to the little blighter, but there it is.
We have to figure out what to do with him now; he's in a shoebox on the back porch. The in-laws have offered to help pay for him to be cremated and buried in the St. Francis garden at church (along with their three dogs) but that seems a bit much for a guinea pig. I think we'll probably just dig a deep hole in the garden and find some kind of garden art to use as a marker.
And of course, Lulu is already asking to get another. I think we will probaby take a guinea pig-owning break and see how we feel in a few weeks (months maybe). But if we do decide to get another, we're going to get one (or more likely two) from the guinea pig rescue place in the south suburbs.
That's rough. My sister, who is otherwise a pretty resilient person, lost it when she had to take her guinea pig in to be euthanized. Don't let it sit too long. Not only will it smell but the carrion eaters , like the crows, will be attracted.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#88823 Jul 29, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Interesting.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88824 Jul 29, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Whaaaat? Well, crap. I'm sorry about that. When they go, they go pretty quickly. They're prey animals, so they hide being sick pretty well.

FWIW, I always did the group cremation at the vet's office with mine. You get a little clay thing with their name and footprints and it only costs about $20.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#88825 Jul 29, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Glad you had a good weekend. Sorry about the guinea pig.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#88826 Jul 29, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
It is being spun in a variety of ways depending on which news site you read. Some are emphasizing not judging gays, other not judging gay clergy; none have mentioned acceptance of divorced Catholics.

If he can cause this attitude to permeate the Church down to the parish level he will have accomplished something rare and good.

However, and I hope I am wrong here, given his seemingly casual comments on controversial subjects and his dismissive approach to security, he may not have a long papacy.

Evanston IL

#88827 Jul 29, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Whaaaat? Well, crap. I'm sorry about that. When they go, they go pretty quickly. They're prey animals, so they hide being sick pretty well.
FWIW, I always did the group cremation at the vet's office with mine. You get a little clay thing with their name and footprints and it only costs about $20.
I never thought about the prey-animal aspect of it; that makes total sense.

I'll inquire about the cremation at the vet (I can swing $20 but not much more), but Lulu got really freaked out when I explained what that was so it may be moot anyway.

I kinda like the idea of putting him in the garden near the lilac bush.

And thank you for the sympathy; I knew if anyone would understand, it would be you. I'm just really surprised at myself; there's still the snake-owning part of me that's whispering "it was just a really expensive lunch, you softie!"

I mean, of course I'm going to feel bad for my children, I just didn't think I'd feel bad for me!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#88828 Jul 29, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Sorry about the little guy.:( I'm the only one who gets bummed when Nick's youngest loses a fish from the tank.

Cremation will cost over $100, most likely, because it's more expensive when you want the actual ashes back (b/c they they do an individual cremation).

I'd suggest just burying him in the backyard with a nice rock as a head stone, if your girls are okay with that.(Burying him nice and deep.)

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88829 Jul 29, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I never thought about the prey-animal aspect of it; that makes total sense.
I'll inquire about the cremation at the vet (I can swing $20 but not much more), but Lulu got really freaked out when I explained what that was so it may be moot anyway.
I kinda like the idea of putting him in the garden near the lilac bush.
And thank you for the sympathy; I knew if anyone would understand, it would be you. I'm just really surprised at myself; there's still the snake-owning part of me that's whispering "it was just a really expensive lunch, you softie!"
I mean, of course I'm going to feel bad for my children, I just didn't think I'd feel bad for me!
They grow on you, the little stinkers. They're not dogs or cats, but they have personality, and damn they are cute, even when they're big and old. I got rid of alllll my guinea pig stuff as mine were dying off, otherwise I'd be tempted everytime I go to the pet store. NO. Dogs are enough.

Understandable about burying him; my dad always humored me in that respect with my parakeets and hamsters when I was a kid. That reminds me, J's ferret is buried in our backyard somewhere. We've been doing a lot of landscaping and tilling and whatnot. I should ask, because I don't want to unearth him.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 15 min _Zoey_ 301
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Grey Ghost 1,101,068
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 21 min Eric 69,050
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr gcaveman1 46,361
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr TRD 68,393
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Learn to Read 177,493
12 wounded in city shootings 3 hr reality is a crutch 1
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info