Topix Chitown Regulars

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#88804 Jul 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
HONEY, I promise you....
The dog, boat, and grill are all very real. How could I ever keep us such a charade? The mango's are their own thing, I dont control them, they just are.
Yeah, I have central ac. I also have a wall ac unit in the bedroom, cause yanno, it can get kinda hot in there....
You want to visit? Just let me know...There are others here who will vouch for my honor. I have better things to do than being a crazy chainsaw murder.(but it is a hobby)
Kidding, I kid
<quoted text>
Honestly I'd love that. I so need a vacation. I can't seem to even get enough time/money to go to the beach HERE (the real beach NOT Lake Washington...Pacific Ocean).

It's like a couple hour drive each way and I'm not making the drive to just spend a couple hours and turn around and come back, so that means staying somewhere. I don't need a 5-star hotel, but I'm not about to stay where (in the immortal words of my son) "crack whores go to die" either, so there's some cash for that, plus food, and gas at $4+ a gallon in my Jag, each freaking way...it's basically a tourist town over there so nothing's "cheap" and it's too cold to pitch a tent on the beach...

Maybe a plane ticket WOULD be cheaper...

Oh yeah then there's the "I don't have time to think much less travel" thing too. Maybe in a couple more years I can go somewhere again. I miss traveling.:(

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#88805 Jul 27, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I suspect Squishy might be home sick today!
Aw, thanks for missing me.

We are in WI with the good sister and I spent Friday morning last-minute packing and then a 3+ hour drive. It's lovely up here.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#88806 Jul 27, 2013

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88807 Jul 27, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Aw, thanks for missing me.
We are in WI with the good sister and I spent Friday morning last-minute packing and then a 3+ hour drive. It's lovely up here.
What part of WI?

Check your old emails. I sent you a message last week.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88808 Jul 27, 2013
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#88809 Jul 27, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's rooting for awkward.
Teehee, he was awkward. Very socially awkward, like almost Sheldon Cooper awkward. Not that bad or smart. He seemed sooo nervous and insecure, which is not very attractive in a 38 y/o man.
Will give him another shot--unless something is glaring, a 2nd date helps figure stuff out...

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#88810 Jul 27, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Teehee, he was awkward. Very socially awkward, like almost Sheldon Cooper awkward. Not that bad or smart. He seemed sooo nervous and insecure, which is not very attractive in a 38 y/o man.
Will give him another shot--unless something is glaring, a 2nd date helps figure stuff out...
Definitely if you liked him well enough go for the second date.

Lots of people are really nervous on a first date.*I* am, I'm just good at hiding it. All those years working in the salon made me need to be "social" even though it was all an act. I just liked making money, so I learned how to pretend. Not everyone can really do that, so they act how they're feeling.

Of course if he isn't at least a *little* more relaxed after the second date, you might want to think about whether you want to spend time on a third... Not really my business or anything, just being nosey and bossy.:D

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#88811 Jul 27, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of WI?
Check your old emails. I sent you a message last week.
We took a left at Fond du Lac and drove for about an hour. The weather sucks.

I saw, just never had a chance to look up the available options and feeling very poor.
dahgts

Chicago Heights, IL

#88812 Jul 28, 2013

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88813 Jul 28, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T39MQ5NV2I...

Amy with the date typo corrected.(I really should check here first- would have seen Dahgts already flagged it.)

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#88814 Jul 28, 2013
PEllen wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/chi cago/T39MQ5NV2ICBJAAAU#lastPos t
Amy with the date typo corrected.(I really should check here first- would have seen Dahgts already flagged it.)
Thanks...maybe one more coffee would have helped my typing.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#88815 Jul 28, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely if you liked him well enough go for the second date.
Lots of people are really nervous on a first date.*I* am, I'm just good at hiding it. All those years working in the salon made me need to be "social" even though it was all an act. I just liked making money, so I learned how to pretend. Not everyone can really do that, so they act how they're feeling.
Of course if he isn't at least a *little* more relaxed after the second date, you might want to think about whether you want to spend time on a third... Not really my business or anything, just being nosey and bossy.:D
Nose and boss away-I offered my life. ;p
He called the next day (!) wanting to set up a date for this coming weekend. I haven't called back yet. I hate the phone and I was busy...probably later this afternoon.
The other guy that I like a bit more hasn't called since our Thursday date. I was meh on him but date 2 was really nice. We shall see...he seemed interested for more, but I always think that and never hear from them again, lol.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#88816 Jul 29, 2013

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#88817 Jul 29, 2013
Well, that last batch of rain seems to have been the trigger for the mango's, they are starting to fall ripe. Have grilled a couple, delicious!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88818 Jul 29, 2013
RACE wrote:
Well, that last batch of rain seems to have been the trigger for the mango's, they are starting to fall ripe. Have grilled a couple, delicious!
How do you slice them so you get anything other than the long sides?Do you peel them first?

I have seen the video of doing th criss cross cuts and turning the skin inside out but that only works on the outer slice, 2 per fruit. What about the rest?
How do you grill them? Do you use a soft ripe one on the grill or a firm one?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88819 Jul 29, 2013

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#88820 Jul 29, 2013
Hi all! I can't believe no one posted this yet...

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/29/pope...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#88821 Jul 29, 2013
So we had a lovely time with my good sister, her friends (we've been camping with them before; they're good peeps) and my niece (who didn't think she could come) up at this lake house in Wisconsin. The weather was absolute cr@p, however. So cold we spent most of the time around the fire and when we did venture out on the boat, we were wrapped up in towels and an unzipped down sleeping bag. Totally ridiculous for the end of July.

We even left with plenty of time so we wouldn't be unloading the car in the dark with two asleep children. And we got home just in time to hold the guinea pig in our arms while he died. We're not really sure what happened. The young man who we got to tend to him (12 yo downstairs neighbor) said he was acting totally normal that morning when he fed him. Of course, now he feels terrible and we're devastated, in my case surprisingly so. I didn't think that I'd grown that attached to the little blighter, but there it is.

We have to figure out what to do with him now; he's in a shoebox on the back porch. The in-laws have offered to help pay for him to be cremated and buried in the St. Francis garden at church (along with their three dogs) but that seems a bit much for a guinea pig. I think we'll probably just dig a deep hole in the garden and find some kind of garden art to use as a marker.

And of course, Lulu is already asking to get another. I think we will probaby take a guinea pig-owning break and see how we feel in a few weeks (months maybe). But if we do decide to get another, we're going to get one (or more likely two) from the guinea pig rescue place in the south suburbs.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88822 Jul 29, 2013
squishymama wrote:
So we had a lovely time with my good sister, her friends (we've been camping with them before; they're good peeps) and my niece (who didn't think she could come) up at this lake house in Wisconsin. The weather was absolute cr@p, however. So cold we spent most of the time around the fire and when we did venture out on the boat, we were wrapped up in towels and an unzipped down sleeping bag. Totally ridiculous for the end of July.
We even left with plenty of time so we wouldn't be unloading the car in the dark with two asleep children. And we got home just in time to hold the guinea pig in our arms while he died. We're not really sure what happened. The young man who we got to tend to him (12 yo downstairs neighbor) said he was acting totally normal that morning when he fed him. Of course, now he feels terrible and we're devastated, in my case surprisingly so. I didn't think that I'd grown that attached to the little blighter, but there it is.
We have to figure out what to do with him now; he's in a shoebox on the back porch. The in-laws have offered to help pay for him to be cremated and buried in the St. Francis garden at church (along with their three dogs) but that seems a bit much for a guinea pig. I think we'll probably just dig a deep hole in the garden and find some kind of garden art to use as a marker.
And of course, Lulu is already asking to get another. I think we will probaby take a guinea pig-owning break and see how we feel in a few weeks (months maybe). But if we do decide to get another, we're going to get one (or more likely two) from the guinea pig rescue place in the south suburbs.
That's rough. My sister, who is otherwise a pretty resilient person, lost it when she had to take her guinea pig in to be euthanized. Don't let it sit too long. Not only will it smell but the carrion eaters , like the crows, will be attracted.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#88823 Jul 29, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Hi all! I can't believe no one posted this yet...
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/29/pope...
Interesting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min RealDave 1,263,871
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 23 min Rogue Scholar 05 194,563
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr Red_Forman 5,382
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Red_Forman 6,257
how many people think louis farrakhan is an idiot (Mar '11) 3 hr reality is a crutch 8
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 hr ritedownthemiddle 54,358
News Fatal heat wave 20 years ago changed Chicago's ... 8 hr VeganTiger 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages