“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#88673 Jul 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>It was something of a joke, but the way you do that is to drop off the card to the hostess with apologies but thinking you just don't want to risk exposing the mom to the flu, plague, a herpes attack. Whatever.
Don't tell me guys don't use little white social lies to get out of doing something they don't like.
nope. I have no problem simply saying 'no'

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#88674 Jul 24, 2013
Hey Mimi! Guess what just came in the mail, all the way from "Canada"???

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#88675 Jul 24, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I do too. I always buy stuff that they will grow into because they will grow into it so fast. I remember having things for Chris that he never got to wear at all because by the time I got around to those particular outfits, he's outgrown them.
Everyone likes the fancy little outfits, but in the first few weeks, you're not going anywhere anyway. And half my friends have kids that never even touch newborn sizes. Just ordered a 12 month onsie off of Etsy for my bunco friend S, who had her 10# kid in May. It's Detroit Redwings, so he'll get to wear it sometime during hockey season.

Neda, stay with me!

#88676 Jul 24, 2013
and let me reiterate...
Cheetos is crack.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#88677 Jul 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Why not send it to HER address and cut out the host of a party you are not even attending?
1. Laziness. The host's address is on the invitation, and I'd have to ask C for hers.

2. Sending it to the host means she can still open it with all the other crap, in case that matters to her.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#88678 Jul 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
Hey Mimi! Guess what just came in the mail, all the way from "Canada"???
Geddy Lee?

Neda, stay with me!

#88679 Jul 24, 2013
To other guys or women?
To guys, I just say, "Nope!" Cant make/do/lend/lie whatever it is you want.
To women I would probably have a prior engagement, or some vague reason for not wanting to do something.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't tell me guys don't use little white social lies to get out of doing something they don't like.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#88680 Jul 24, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I must introduce them to *my* favorite engaged couple; nephew and his BF who are planning (ok, we'll call it "planning") a wedding for April. Apparently they've checked around and it's "classy" to have a pot luck reception. Yeah, ok. However they keep changing their "colors." *I* get to be MOG#1 while he's leaving my sister out of it all together...so you know, no drama there.
He told my niece (his sister) that he's sorry that he isn't asking her for help more but she's so far away in Cali but they "just" got in touch with his BF's sister (who lives about 45 mins away) and so "now" they have "local" help. That kinda pissed me off right there. LOCAL? I'm right freaking here, just across the same damn town.
Not that I want to do anything, or be involved in any way you understand, I really really really don't, but he said that needing local help was the reason he wasn't involving his sister or me (he named me in the email she sent me behind his back). Also my sister and my other niece live in this same town too.
I'd really rather just be a guest. Especially since he's trying to get me to buy a dress in their "colors." Dude MOB/MOG doesn't *do* that. And if I'm paying a couple hundred bucks fro a dress, you better believe I'm gonna pick something I like and can wear again...in colors of my choosing. I'm thinking black.
Don't laugh. Their new colors are green blue and black. They sent a pic of Ryan Reynolds and said his suit ensemble is their new color palate. We (niece and I) think that they think they will look like him if they dress that way. No, they won't.
I think if you're doing a pot luck wedding, you give up the more formal stuff like "colors."

Location hidden

#88681 Jul 24, 2013
Anyone here a fan of Dawes? I hate the band name so I avoided them for a while, but every time I Hear them, I like the song, and I just like how they *sound*. "Most People" won't leave my head these days. It's time to break down and buy 'em.

Neda, stay with me!

#88682 Jul 24, 2013
LOL,
Kinda! Got my
RUSH Stamps
RUSH Postcards
RUSH Envelopes
RUSH/THE GUESS WHO/BEAU DOMMAGE/THE TRAGICALLY HIP Stamps

RUSH Framed Print, Not here yet.
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Geddy Lee?

Location hidden

#88683 Jul 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
LOL,
Kinda! Got my
RUSH Stamps
RUSH Postcards
RUSH Envelopes
<quoted text>
I loved Tragically Hip back in the day! Remember their awesome song "Courage"?

Location hidden

#88684 Jul 24, 2013
LW has three kids. Two daughters, one son. Two daughters went to expensive private colleges, parents paid the bulk of tuition so there were no loans. Daughters can't find work and are living at home. Son went to trade school and is doing well. So parents are giving him the same amount of money they spent on their daughters' college education.

And the daughters are FURIOUS.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/econom...

Neda, stay with me!

#88685 Jul 24, 2013
Since edogg is not in today....
Well, if the daughters had skipped going to college altogether and instead had just gotten married at 17, their parents could have given that money to their husbands as dowry.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
LW has three kids. Two daughters, one son. Two daughters went to expensive private colleges, parents paid the bulk of tuition so there were no loans. Daughters can't find work and are living at home. Son went to trade school and is doing well. So parents are giving him the same amount of money they spent on their daughters' college education.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#88686 Jul 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
LOL,
Kinda! Got my
RUSH Stamps
RUSH Postcards
RUSH Envelopes
<quoted text>
Where can I get these from?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#88687 Jul 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
That happens when people confuse money as a sign of love and/or when they think they have a right to tell their parents how to spend their money.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#88688 Jul 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Jealous. I just read the whole thing. Dude, they so need to get a grip. They are living at home rent free. The second letter? Making 40K a year, living at home? Seriously? Please.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#88689 Jul 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
My friend C is pregnant. I really like her, but I *hate* baby showers. Hers is at 10am on a Saturday - yeah, no. I looked at her registry online (because years ago I vowed never to set foot in a Babies R Us store again) and it's such a PITA waste of money... shipping, gift wrap, blah blah blah. Would it be horrible if I got her a gift card to Target or something, threw it in a greeting card, and mailed it to the shower host's address?
i dont think so... i'm in the middle of baby shower mania in my family - 3 on my side, 1 on hubby's & my BFF's sister - adn i'm getting sick of oohing and ahhing over onesies and breast pumps. the girls are appreciative, and tehre are a few handmade items that they really ooh and ahh over.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#88690 Jul 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
My last baby shower was at 10 a.m. In a bar! It was great! It was the pregnant woman's choice, too!
Yes, gift card. She will love that she has some flexibility to choose her own stuff.
or to fill in the holes...

as Mathilda says, teh onesies in larger sizes work too. BFF's sister wasnt plannign this pregnancy, and she & the daddy (got married since then) aer kinda broke. so i'm scouring clearance sales for larger sized basics in neutrals, since they don't know boy or girl. this gift will be way more than i usually spend (including the home made blanket), but it's a different story than most.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#88691 Jul 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
My last baby shower was at 10 a.m. In a bar! It was great! It was the pregnant woman's choice, too!
Yes, gift card. She will love that she has some flexibility to choose her own stuff.
I was given 3 baby showers (1 kid). One of them was at a bar where we always had happy hour over the years. We did it right after work. It was GERAT! All the guys came, too. It was a happy hour baby shower (without me getting shnockered, of course). Then the guys helped get the gifts in the car and us ladies all went to dinner at a nice restaurant next door. It was perfect!

Location hidden

#88692 Jul 24, 2013
Icky story: Someone sets baby (5mo) in carrier down in the yard and goes in the house (not cool IMHO). Skunk approached the baby and bit him several times in the face! Adult saw this from the house, came out and shot and killed the skunk. Baby has to get treated for rabies until the skunk's brain tissue test results come back in several days.

Poor kid! I did some research.

1. Treatment costs $2K -$7K per person (14 days of treatment).
2. Once you show any signs of symptoms, you're done. Treatment won't work. Enjoy your excruciating death.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Tony Rome 1,115,141
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 14 min JOEL 69,520
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr D-U-H 50,041
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 47,007
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Mandela 68,560
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr loose cannon 178,586
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr RACE 639

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]