Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#88652 Jul 24, 2013
oops...wrong thread

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#88653 Jul 24, 2013
Kinda like finding out you have TP stuck to your shoe, aint it?
itser wrote:
oops...wrong thread

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#88654 Jul 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>They went to school there last year.
If they time it right they can do it during Bears' training camp, although I can't say I ever thought of Bourbonnais as a destination wedding place either....
Yeah. They're doing it there because the pastor at their church said they could do the ceremony and reception there for free. Which is exactly what the pastor at her church here and his pastor up in NW Indiana would say probably...buuuut, I'm assuming they haven't looked in to that. I guess we'll stay at my dad's, because it's closer than here.

Also, his mom is mortified with the idea of doing like a pot luck reception or just a cake reception. I was like, this is the part where you say "Oh, so you're going to pay for catering? That's awesome!" But they think it's improper to ask. Sorry, but you have to buy your way in to that kind of input in to a wedding.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#88655 Jul 24, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
More silliness from my favorite engaged couple--I guess my SIL's fiancÚ has no plans to work any type of job during the school year until after he graduates. It's "too stressful" to work and go to school. Keep in mind he has no job now, either. And I guess they ARE planning on getting married in a year. He'll lose his insurance under his parents, she could lose her need-based scholarships. And, they want to get married in Bourbonnais. Where neither of them are from, none of their relatives live, and where they no longer go to school. And they'll be planning this alleged wedding from Tennessee.
Magic 8 ball says it won't happen.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#88656 Jul 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Squishy- I'm sorry t hear all the Squishy ladies are under the weather. Get better soon. Virtual chicken soup coming your way.
Thanks PE!

We're all back to our regularly scheduled programming today.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#88657 Jul 24, 2013
My friend C is pregnant. I really like her, but I *hate* baby showers. Hers is at 10am on a Saturday - yeah, no. I looked at her registry online (because years ago I vowed never to set foot in a Babies R Us store again) and it's such a PITA waste of money... shipping, gift wrap, blah blah blah. Would it be horrible if I got her a gift card to Target or something, threw it in a greeting card, and mailed it to the shower host's address?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88658 Jul 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
My friend C is pregnant. I really like her, but I *hate* baby showers. Hers is at 10am on a Saturday - yeah, no. I looked at her registry online (because years ago I vowed never to set foot in a Babies R Us store again) and it's such a PITA waste of money... shipping, gift wrap, blah blah blah. Would it be horrible if I got her a gift card to Target or something, threw it in a greeting card, and mailed it to the shower host's address?
You have my permission to do so. You might have a tad of 24 hour plague and not want to expose the pregnant mom... as a matter of courtesy of course.

Location hidden

#88660 Jul 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
My last baby shower was at 10 a.m. In a bar! It was great! It was the pregnant woman's choice, too!

Yes, gift card. She will love that she has some flexibility to choose her own stuff.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#88661 Jul 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Do it. And get a cute pacifier to put on a ribbon on the card.

http://www.amazon.com/BooginHead-BPA-Free-Pac...

Neda, stay with me!

#88662 Jul 24, 2013
Um, how does that work? If you mail it to arrive around the day of the shower, then your planning your sickness. If you call in sick on the day of the event, then the gift card makes it look like you totally forgot to begin with and sent it later as an afterthought.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
You have my permission to do so. You might have a tad of 24 hour plague and not want to expose the pregnant mom... as a matter of courtesy of course.

Neda, stay with me!

#88663 Jul 24, 2013
Actually PEllen, Dont bother
Girl stuff, dont care.

Miami, FL

#88664 Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the validation! Gift card & greeting card all the way. I won't make up an excuse as to WHY I can't go, I'll just say I can't.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88665 Jul 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
I'm all about Target gift cards as a baby gift. That and onesies in bigger sizes than newborn or 3-6 month.

Location hidden

#88666 Jul 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
Um, how does that work? If you mail it to arrive around the day of the shower, then your planning your sickness. If you call in sick on the day of the event, then the gift card makes it look like you totally forgot to begin with and sent it later as an afterthought.
<quoted text>
Or ignore the baby shower gift, and just buy a baby gift when the baby is born and send it then. I don't go to most baby showers and I certainly don't send gifts to coincide with the party.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88667 Jul 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
It was something of a joke, but the way you do that is to drop off the card to the hostess with apologies but thinking you just don't want to risk exposing the mom to the flu, plague, a herpes attack. Whatever.

Don't tell me guys don't use little white social lies to get out of doing something they don't like.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#88668 Jul 24, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. They're doing it there because the pastor at their church said they could do the ceremony and reception there for free. Which is exactly what the pastor at her church here and his pastor up in NW Indiana would say probably...buuuut, I'm assuming they haven't looked in to that. I guess we'll stay at my dad's, because it's closer than here.
Also, his mom is mortified with the idea of doing like a pot luck reception or just a cake reception. I was like, this is the part where you say "Oh, so you're going to pay for catering? That's awesome!" But they think it's improper to ask. Sorry, but you have to buy your way in to that kind of input in to a wedding.
I must introduce them to *my* favorite engaged couple; nephew and his BF who are planning (ok, we'll call it "planning") a wedding for April. Apparently they've checked around and it's "classy" to have a pot luck reception. Yeah, ok. However they keep changing their "colors." *I* get to be MOG#1 while he's leaving my sister out of it all together...so you know, no drama there.

He told my niece (his sister) that he's sorry that he isn't asking her for help more but she's so far away in Cali but they "just" got in touch with his BF's sister (who lives about 45 mins away) and so "now" they have "local" help. That kinda pissed me off right there. LOCAL? I'm right freaking here, just across the same damn town.

Not that I want to do anything, or be involved in any way you understand, I really really really don't, but he said that needing local help was the reason he wasn't involving his sister or me (he named me in the email she sent me behind his back). Also my sister and my other niece live in this same town too.

I'd really rather just be a guest. Especially since he's trying to get me to buy a dress in their "colors." Dude MOB/MOG doesn't *do* that. And if I'm paying a couple hundred bucks fro a dress, you better believe I'm gonna pick something I like and can wear again...in colors of my choosing. I'm thinking black.

Don't laugh. Their new colors are green blue and black. They sent a pic of Ryan Reynolds and said his suit ensemble is their new color palate. We (niece and I) think that they think they will look like him if they dress that way. No, they won't.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#88669 Jul 24, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm all about Target gift cards as a baby gift. That and onesies in bigger sizes than newborn or 3-6 month.
That's what I do too. I always buy stuff that they will grow into because they will grow into it so fast. I remember having things for Chris that he never got to wear at all because by the time I got around to those particular outfits, he's outgrown them.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88670 Jul 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Magic 8 ball says it won't happen.
God, I hope not. But it's gonna be hilarious along the way. I regret somewhat not dragging her in to the planning of our wedding more, because she has no idea what she is doing.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#88671 Jul 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Why not send it to HER address and cut out the host of a party you are not even attending?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88672 Jul 24, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I must introduce them to *my* favorite engaged couple; nephew and his BF who are planning (ok, we'll call it "planning") a wedding for April. Apparently they've checked around and it's "classy" to have a pot luck reception. Yeah, ok. However they keep changing their "colors." *I* get to be MOG#1 while he's leaving my sister out of it all together...so you know, no drama there.
He told my niece (his sister) that he's sorry that he isn't asking her for help more but she's so far away in Cali but they "just" got in touch with his BF's sister (who lives about 45 mins away) and so "now" they have "local" help. That kinda pissed me off right there. LOCAL? I'm right freaking here, just across the same damn town.
Not that I want to do anything, or be involved in any way you understand, I really really really don't, but he said that needing local help was the reason he wasn't involving his sister or me (he named me in the email she sent me behind his back). Also my sister and my other niece live in this same town too.
I'd really rather just be a guest. Especially since he's trying to get me to buy a dress in their "colors." Dude MOB/MOG doesn't *do* that. And if I'm paying a couple hundred bucks fro a dress, you better believe I'm gonna pick something I like and can wear again...in colors of my choosing. I'm thinking black.
Don't laugh. Their new colors are green blue and black. They sent a pic of Ryan Reynolds and said his suit ensemble is their new color palate. We (niece and I) think that they think they will look like him if they dress that way. No, they won't.
Ha! Sounds like fun. Wedding planning was a PITA enough without being out of town. So far, I haven't been asked to be in this one and that is a-okay with me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min harmonious 1,115,070
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 31 min welcome home 50,029
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 69,490
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Who 46,993
Grocery Coupon and saving your pennies 1 hr Susan 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr WelbyMD 178,583
A short math question. I will reply with answer... 5 hr Whats the Bulb An... 8
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]