Topix Chitown Regulars

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#88665 Jul 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
My friend C is pregnant. I really like her, but I *hate* baby showers. Hers is at 10am on a Saturday - yeah, no. I looked at her registry online (because years ago I vowed never to set foot in a Babies R Us store again) and it's such a PITA waste of money... shipping, gift wrap, blah blah blah. Would it be horrible if I got her a gift card to Target or something, threw it in a greeting card, and mailed it to the shower host's address?
I'm all about Target gift cards as a baby gift. That and onesies in bigger sizes than newborn or 3-6 month.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#88666 Jul 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
Um, how does that work? If you mail it to arrive around the day of the shower, then your planning your sickness. If you call in sick on the day of the event, then the gift card makes it look like you totally forgot to begin with and sent it later as an afterthought.
<quoted text>
Or ignore the baby shower gift, and just buy a baby gift when the baby is born and send it then. I don't go to most baby showers and I certainly don't send gifts to coincide with the party.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88667 Jul 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
Um, how does that work? If you mail it to arrive around the day of the shower, then your planning your sickness. If you call in sick on the day of the event, then the gift card makes it look like you totally forgot to begin with and sent it later as an afterthought.
<quoted text>
It was something of a joke, but the way you do that is to drop off the card to the hostess with apologies but thinking you just don't want to risk exposing the mom to the flu, plague, a herpes attack. Whatever.

Don't tell me guys don't use little white social lies to get out of doing something they don't like.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#88668 Jul 24, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. They're doing it there because the pastor at their church said they could do the ceremony and reception there for free. Which is exactly what the pastor at her church here and his pastor up in NW Indiana would say probably...buuuut, I'm assuming they haven't looked in to that. I guess we'll stay at my dad's, because it's closer than here.
Also, his mom is mortified with the idea of doing like a pot luck reception or just a cake reception. I was like, this is the part where you say "Oh, so you're going to pay for catering? That's awesome!" But they think it's improper to ask. Sorry, but you have to buy your way in to that kind of input in to a wedding.
I must introduce them to *my* favorite engaged couple; nephew and his BF who are planning (ok, we'll call it "planning") a wedding for April. Apparently they've checked around and it's "classy" to have a pot luck reception. Yeah, ok. However they keep changing their "colors." *I* get to be MOG#1 while he's leaving my sister out of it all together...so you know, no drama there.

He told my niece (his sister) that he's sorry that he isn't asking her for help more but she's so far away in Cali but they "just" got in touch with his BF's sister (who lives about 45 mins away) and so "now" they have "local" help. That kinda pissed me off right there. LOCAL? I'm right freaking here, just across the same damn town.

Not that I want to do anything, or be involved in any way you understand, I really really really don't, but he said that needing local help was the reason he wasn't involving his sister or me (he named me in the email she sent me behind his back). Also my sister and my other niece live in this same town too.

I'd really rather just be a guest. Especially since he's trying to get me to buy a dress in their "colors." Dude MOB/MOG doesn't *do* that. And if I'm paying a couple hundred bucks fro a dress, you better believe I'm gonna pick something I like and can wear again...in colors of my choosing. I'm thinking black.

Don't laugh. Their new colors are green blue and black. They sent a pic of Ryan Reynolds and said his suit ensemble is their new color palate. We (niece and I) think that they think they will look like him if they dress that way. No, they won't.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#88669 Jul 24, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm all about Target gift cards as a baby gift. That and onesies in bigger sizes than newborn or 3-6 month.
That's what I do too. I always buy stuff that they will grow into because they will grow into it so fast. I remember having things for Chris that he never got to wear at all because by the time I got around to those particular outfits, he's outgrown them.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88670 Jul 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Magic 8 ball says it won't happen.
God, I hope not. But it's gonna be hilarious along the way. I regret somewhat not dragging her in to the planning of our wedding more, because she has no idea what she is doing.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#88671 Jul 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
My friend C is pregnant. I really like her, but I *hate* baby showers. Hers is at 10am on a Saturday - yeah, no. I looked at her registry online (because years ago I vowed never to set foot in a Babies R Us store again) and it's such a PITA waste of money... shipping, gift wrap, blah blah blah. Would it be horrible if I got her a gift card to Target or something, threw it in a greeting card, and mailed it to the shower host's address?
Why not send it to HER address and cut out the host of a party you are not even attending?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88672 Jul 24, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I must introduce them to *my* favorite engaged couple; nephew and his BF who are planning (ok, we'll call it "planning") a wedding for April. Apparently they've checked around and it's "classy" to have a pot luck reception. Yeah, ok. However they keep changing their "colors." *I* get to be MOG#1 while he's leaving my sister out of it all together...so you know, no drama there.
He told my niece (his sister) that he's sorry that he isn't asking her for help more but she's so far away in Cali but they "just" got in touch with his BF's sister (who lives about 45 mins away) and so "now" they have "local" help. That kinda pissed me off right there. LOCAL? I'm right freaking here, just across the same damn town.
Not that I want to do anything, or be involved in any way you understand, I really really really don't, but he said that needing local help was the reason he wasn't involving his sister or me (he named me in the email she sent me behind his back). Also my sister and my other niece live in this same town too.
I'd really rather just be a guest. Especially since he's trying to get me to buy a dress in their "colors." Dude MOB/MOG doesn't *do* that. And if I'm paying a couple hundred bucks fro a dress, you better believe I'm gonna pick something I like and can wear again...in colors of my choosing. I'm thinking black.
Don't laugh. Their new colors are green blue and black. They sent a pic of Ryan Reynolds and said his suit ensemble is their new color palate. We (niece and I) think that they think they will look like him if they dress that way. No, they won't.
Ha! Sounds like fun. Wedding planning was a PITA enough without being out of town. So far, I haven't been asked to be in this one and that is a-okay with me.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#88673 Jul 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>It was something of a joke, but the way you do that is to drop off the card to the hostess with apologies but thinking you just don't want to risk exposing the mom to the flu, plague, a herpes attack. Whatever.
Don't tell me guys don't use little white social lies to get out of doing something they don't like.
nope. I have no problem simply saying 'no'

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#88674 Jul 24, 2013
Hey Mimi! Guess what just came in the mail, all the way from "Canada"???

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#88675 Jul 24, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I do too. I always buy stuff that they will grow into because they will grow into it so fast. I remember having things for Chris that he never got to wear at all because by the time I got around to those particular outfits, he's outgrown them.
Everyone likes the fancy little outfits, but in the first few weeks, you're not going anywhere anyway. And half my friends have kids that never even touch newborn sizes. Just ordered a 12 month onsie off of Etsy for my bunco friend S, who had her 10# kid in May. It's Detroit Redwings, so he'll get to wear it sometime during hockey season.

#88676 Jul 24, 2013
and let me reiterate...
Cheetos is crack.

Miami, FL

#88677 Jul 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Why not send it to HER address and cut out the host of a party you are not even attending?
1. Laziness. The host's address is on the invitation, and I'd have to ask C for hers.

2. Sending it to the host means she can still open it with all the other crap, in case that matters to her.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#88678 Jul 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
Hey Mimi! Guess what just came in the mail, all the way from "Canada"???
Geddy Lee?

#88679 Jul 24, 2013
To other guys or women?
To guys, I just say, "Nope!" Cant make/do/lend/lie whatever it is you want.
To women I would probably have a prior engagement, or some vague reason for not wanting to do something.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#88680 Jul 24, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I think if you're doing a pot luck wedding, you give up the more formal stuff like "colors."

Location hidden

#88681 Jul 24, 2013
Anyone here a fan of Dawes? I hate the band name so I avoided them for a while, but every time I Hear them, I like the song, and I just like how they *sound*. "Most People" won't leave my head these days. It's time to break down and buy 'em.

#88682 Jul 24, 2013
LOL,
Kinda! Got my
RUSH Stamps
RUSH Postcards
RUSH Envelopes
RUSH/THE GUESS WHO/BEAU DOMMAGE/THE TRAGICALLY HIP Stamps

RUSH Framed Print, Not here yet.
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Geddy Lee?

Location hidden

#88683 Jul 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
LOL,
Kinda! Got my
RUSH Stamps
RUSH Postcards
RUSH Envelopes
RUSH/THE GUESS WHO/BEAU DOMMAGE/THE TRAGICALLY HIP Stamps
RUSH Framed Print, Not here yet.
<quoted text>
I loved Tragically Hip back in the day! Remember their awesome song "Courage"?

Location hidden

#88684 Jul 24, 2013
LW has three kids. Two daughters, one son. Two daughters went to expensive private colleges, parents paid the bulk of tuition so there were no loans. Daughters can't find work and are living at home. Son went to trade school and is doing well. So parents are giving him the same amount of money they spent on their daughters' college education.

And the daughters are FURIOUS.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/econom...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Truly evil folks 5 min Concern Citizen 5
News Four Dead in Bridgeview Head-On Collision (Jul '14) 15 min MyNameIsToby 75
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Justus von Liebig 194,598
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Quirky 1,263,787
Chicago One Direction concert on the 23rd! 2 hr Tristascottcom 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 54,323
Sasitorn boonsin 4 hr donna 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages