Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Squishy, if it's a free beach, I think I'd be inclined to ignore annoying lifeguards squashing everyone's fun!
I swear, society acts as if no one should get hurt doing anything ever.
well, I'm with Squishy in that it's a LOT more fun w/o the lifeguards on the beach.

BUT I understand why the lifeguards get worried. Lake Michigan is like a bathtub and there's a lot of current. The thing is, most people don't understand bout athe current under the water that can suck you under.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Squishy, if it's a free beach, I think I'd be inclined to ignore annoying lifeguards squashing everyone's fun!
Not a free beach - while the lifeguards are there. We bought passes for the summer since we go all the time, and I like that the guards are there when it's really crowded and it's hard to keep an eye on two kids at once, but they can really be a buzz kill.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I forgot to add that it was very free-rangey. One family came in with us and they had one older boy and one younger. The older one swam out into the lake past the bouys and I thought it was too far, but his mom was watching and clearly believed he could handle himself out there so <mimishrug> who am I to second-guess her.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

You have to PAY to go to the beach? Never heard of such a thing. Seriously. Really? Wow. I am definitely staying on the west coast where we get our (real...ocean) beaches free!

“What's it to ya?”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

squishymama wrote:
So last night when we got home from swim class, about 6:45, it was one degree cooler in our apartment than it was outside, and it was 91 outside, so I decided that I was going to the beach. The girls came with (Dickie hates sand so he stayed home; I don't know how...) and we arrived just as the life guards were packing it in for the day. They tried to keep people out of the water, but there were so many of us, they gave up.
And I have to say that the beach is WAY more fun without the lifeguards. We swam in areas not enclosed by the four bouys and children were carried on shoulders and tossed into the water. Even Nunu commented on how nice it was not to have the constant "toot-toot" of their whistles. We stayed until it was almost dark and the damn flies started biting. As we walked slowly home, we were surrounded by hundreds of dragonflies (I was hoping they were eating lots of biting flies), it was really amazing. Lulu said I should take a picture, but I told her that we wouldn't be able to capture the amazing-ness of it in a photo; this was one of those experiences that we were going to have to use the camera in our minds to capture.
We found Dickie sitting on a picnic table as we got close to home, so we sat with him and watched the dragonflies some more. It was a lovely evening.
Had several dragonflies in my back yard last night too. Less mosquitos...win win.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
You have to PAY to go to the beach? Never heard of such a thing. Seriously. Really? Wow. I am definitely staying on the west coast where we get our (real...ocean) beaches free!
How else can the sludge be removed? Someone has to pay for it.:)

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Chicago beaches are free. North of the city line there are fees, but the beaches are cleaner and safer. If you go after 5 or so in my town the ticket person has left. My girls knew how to get on the village beaches from adjacent private beaches.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Mimi-
how did your prof like the limericks?

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
In my suburb you do. They have a free day one day a week and if you get on the beach before the lifeguards show up, you're in like flynn. However, all of Chicago's beaches are free.

I honestly don't mind paying; I buy the discounted beach passes in the spring for all four of us (which means I usually have an extra for a guest since, as I've said, Dickie hates the sand) so it's no big deal.

And IMO, it keeps the riff-raff out.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
How else can the sludge be removed? Someone has to pay for it.:)
Hey now!

Actually, the beaches here haven't been closed that often this summer and when our's does close, I'm pretty sure it's because of seagull poop. There's a large flock that calls our beach home.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
There is a great snorkeling beach, here in Boca Raton, Florida, called Red Reef...back in College, we used to just park in the grass and follow the trail, down to a rock outcropping into the surf, it had bright red and yellow coral imbedded in it...outrageous fish and marine life...almost caught a baby octopus there....barracuda used to patrol off in the depths....Over the years, i used to bring friends and family from Chicago and Michigan, especially those that hardly ever traveled.....They still are in outer space, over that.....But, the City figured out there were profits to be had, so they built it up and non-residents pay $6 to park there on weekends......probably worth it tho, eh?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather see pictures of her OUT of the dress....
One thing at a time. You're likethe young bull Robert deniro was talking about in Colors

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey now!
Actually, the beaches here haven't been closed that often this summer and when our's does close, I'm pretty sure it's because of seagull poop. There's a large flock that calls our beach home.
I had a wink at the end of it.

People are slobs though. I bet some leave garbage.

I can remember going to the Indiana beaches and having to pay for parking, at the public facility.

When I was little, the Indiana beaches were awful. They've really cleaned them up though. I haven't been there in a few years, however.

Hey, it's good that little boy is going to be okay that got swallowed up by the sand sink hole.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Well, went to fire up the boat and...Nothing. Battery was DOA. And the water in the bilge was up to the top of the battery. All that rain must have pushed the bilge pump to the limit. Charging now (after running the bilge) Hope will get enough juice in her to run.

And the cat is wandering around like nothing ever happened.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>One thing at a time. You're likethe young bull Robert deniro was talking about in Colors
Whoops. I meant Robert Duvall

“Derecho”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
It's Chicago, what do you expect? It costs 14 dollars an hour just to park your car, for godsake.

“What's it to ya?”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Mimi-
how did your prof like the limericks?
Oh she loved them. Told me I was brilliant. I thought about letting it ride, but I felt guilty and gave you credit. She now thinks you're brilliant. Sorry, I meant to tell you that this morning.

“What's it to ya?”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Out here, (WA, OR, and CA) the beaches (except private ones like some of the ones in Malibu...not all of them though) are state parks. There is no fee to use them. Some of them where you can camp charge a fee though like you would pay in any state or national park camping area. Wow, paying for the beach is just a revelation to me...it's anathema. Seriously this is blowing my mind.

“Derecho”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Thanks Dog

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 87,301 - 87,320 of97,458
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

73 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min forks_make_us_fat 1,073,302
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,789
Police Faked 9-1-1 Phone Calls to Warrantlessly... 26 min Dirty Govt Dogs 1
Given US/UK/Israel wars and lust for more, what... 33 min Carl Herman 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 54 min Mothra 45,605
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 56 min TRD 67,554
“If America Doesn’t Abolish the FED, the FED wi... 1 hr Thats the problem 3
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE