Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88562 Jul 20, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
well, my brother flew in yesterday, and today he & my parents drove down to Dayton to look at houses... i got a message taht he put in an offer so they're coming back tonight (instead of looking around a little tomorrow as well).
we're all hoping htat it has eihter a guest room or a corner in a finished basement to put a guest bed.
not the weekend my parents were planning as of 7 am yesterday...
That was fast. Any idea when they are actually moving back?

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#88563 Jul 20, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>That was fast. Any idea when they are actually moving back?
yes and no... he's still saying by the end of the year. he's closing down a branch, so i guess there's still some "flexibility" in the timing.

sunday family dinner could actually be interesting this time around...
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#88564 Jul 21, 2013
Passed my 3-day, 12-hour written qualifying exams. I am now officially a doctoral candidate!
Now for the hardp art: dissertation proposal. Eeeek.

Hope all is well with you regs. ;)

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#88565 Jul 21, 2013
Hey PEllen, how is your RUSH indoctrination coming?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#88566 Jul 21, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Passed my 3-day, 12-hour written qualifying exams. I am now officially a doctoral candidate!
Now for the hardp art: dissertation proposal. Eeeek.
Hope all is well with you regs. ;)
Pullin for ya, doctor!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88567 Jul 21, 2013
RACE wrote:
Hey PEllen, how is your RUSH indoctrination coming?
Three questions you should never ask.
1. What did you shoot in golf?
2. How did you do in Vegas?
3. How is your Rush indoctrination coming?

I made it through Retrospective 3. I fast forwarded through most of them. There are some I actively didn't like : One Little Victory, Far Cry, Earthshine and Bravado. The rest did not reach out and grab my ear.

Everyone's taste is different. I like discernible melodies and less crashing prolonged electric guitar chords.I think The Who are probably my limit.

I'll try the other discs though to give them a fighting chance.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#88568 Jul 21, 2013
I can always provide a list of songs that are easier on the ears. But it will be from multiple albums. Just lemme know and you can YOUTUBE them for sampling.
Name a song you directly did not like and list 3 reasons.(yes you will be graded)

Are you reading/understanding the lyrics?

I suspect you are seeing the guitar as something separate, when it has to he heard as part of the ensemble and understand its integration into the song.

In other words, your being stuffy!

:)
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Three questions you should never ask.
1. What did you shoot in golf?
2. How did you do in Vegas?
3. How is your Rush indoctrination coming?
I made it through Retrospective 3. I fast forwarded through most of them. There are some I actively didn't like : One Little Victory, Far Cry, Earthshine and Bravado. The rest did not reach out and grab my ear.
Everyone's taste is different. I like discernible melodies and less crashing prolonged electric guitar chords.I think The Who are probably my limit.
I'll try the other discs though to give them a fighting chance.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88569 Jul 21, 2013
RACE wrote:
I can always provide a list of songs that are easier on the ears. But it will be from multiple albums. Just lemme know and you can YOUTUBE them for sampling.
Name a song you directly did not like and list 3 reasons.(yes you will be graded)
Are you reading/understanding the lyrics?
I suspect you are seeing the guitar as something separate, when it has to he heard as part of the ensemble and understand its integration into the song.
In other words, your being stuffy!
:)
<quoted text>
The lyrics are not included in the CD liner or insert.

I named the ones I actively did not like in the post above. I kept a check list.

I am not averse to analyzing a piece of music but some aspect has to jump out and grab my ear first before I am interested in doing so.Nothing I heard grabbed me so far

Seriously, I can give you examples, but I would truly sound stuffy or like LC. I am trying to hear what you and Mimi hear in this group not write a final exam .

I will take the list of songs from you and YouTube though.

How is the cat doing?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#88570 Jul 21, 2013
I was teasing about stuffy. RUSH is a band you either identify with or you dont. It sounds like you dont. Not a problem, we just toss you into the "Not ready for enlightenment" pile. I am sure if you look around, you will find Tonka.

You can google the lyrics, and I had encouraged you to do so, because Geddy Lee is very hard to understand if you dont know the lyrics.

Anyway, instead of working tomorrow, I will compose a short list of what i hope you will find engaging. Cant make any promises because like I said, you either get them or you dont.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#88571 Jul 21, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Passed my 3-day, 12-hour written qualifying exams. I am now officially a doctoral candidate!
Now for the hardp art: dissertation proposal. Eeeek.
Hope all is well with you regs. ;)
Congrats! I've been sending good luck your wishes your way...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88572 Jul 21, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Passed my 3-day, 12-hour written qualifying exams. I am now officially a doctoral candidate!
Now for the hardp art: dissertation proposal. Eeeek.
Hope all is well with you regs. ;)
Go for it.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88573 Jul 21, 2013
Because I have nothing else to think abut I predict Kate Middleton will go into labor July 22 because that is the full moon. Tidal forces and all that.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88574 Jul 21, 2013
AS- So how interesting was Sunday dinner?

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#88575 Jul 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
AS- So how interesting was Sunday dinner?
he bid on a house yesterday, and the offer was accepted on their drive home... about 10 hours in the car in one day. bro got an earful of sighs from my dad about moving out of the "hellhole" my parents have, and my mom groaned her way up most every stair case, but the trip went ok. what they shared of the business details are good; details fell nicely into place, including the sellers renting back the place for a couple months until bro gets to move back. i'm wondering if htey put the house on the market early not counting on it selling so quickly - its been listed barely a week. they are relcoating out of state for business as well.

and hten, hubby and i gave my parents new cell phones. we all got tired of listening to my mom sigh about finding new ones, since their current carrier is pulling out of hte market. now i get to listen to her sigh about how to figure out the damn thing. its quite a step up from what she's had...

in other words, same ol', same ol'... ;-)

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88576 Jul 21, 2013
AS -I sent you an email. Ravinia?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#88577 Jul 22, 2013

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#88578 Jul 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Because I have nothing else to think abut I predict Kate Middleton will go into labor July 22 because that is the full moon. Tidal forces and all that.
Hopefully, all the hoopla over the Royal Baby might finally put Trayvon and all the BS, to rest....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#88579 Jul 22, 2013
And the cat is hanging tough. I am so glad she hid the morning of her scheduled execution. Have reduced the antihistimine to about 1 dose every 3 days. See where that takes us.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88580 Jul 22, 2013
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23725...
Red- here is your next vacation destination.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88581 Jul 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Because I have nothing else to think abut I predict Kate Middleton will go into labor July 22 because that is the full moon. Tidal forces and all that.
Hah! I was right. You saw it here first.!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Injudgement 1,347,795
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr Red_Forman 1,845
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Red_Forman 7,321
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr Red_Forman 621
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr Red_Forman 5,649
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 57,316
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr Dr Guru 207,626
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages