Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Just bought some of this:
http://kopparberg.com/products/#3
& some of this:
http://www.france44.com/prodimg/woodchuck_sum...
The kopparberg sounds interesting. I have a bottle of elderflower (I think) eau de vie which is very good in fizzy lemonade . Using it in a dry cider with a bit of lime sounds interesting.
Woodchuck is all over up here. I will look for the summer release. is this the stuff your buddy bought that you mentioned the other day?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Is Chicago having much protests, downtown? They spoke of it briefly on Nightly News.....
There is noting on the local sites more than you would expect for a hot weekend. Nothing particularly organized and no riots. So far.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Woodchuck is all over up here. I will look for the summer release. is this the stuff your buddy bought that you mentioned the other day?
Yeah. He bought the variety pack.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

J and I started the keto diet on Friday. I'm switching from cider and white wine to red wine on my non-cheat days, because it has significantly less carbs.

Turns out, I actually like it. I had some merlot last night. Can't tell if my tastes have changed, since I never liked it before OR I'm on my way to full-blown alcoholism.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
J and I started the keto diet on Friday. I'm switching from cider and white wine to red wine on my non-cheat days, because it has significantly less carbs.
Turns out, I actually like it. I had some merlot last night. Can't tell if my tastes have changed, since I never liked it before OR I'm on my way to full-blown alcoholism.
If you a looking for a decent red blend that is not expensive, try Menage a Trois around $8-9.00, sometimes less. It is good . Or take a trek over to East Peoria. Costco's Kirkland house blends, Red Wine, Meritage etc in the $15-20 range are uniformly really good

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
If you a looking for a decent red blend that is not expensive, try Menage a Trois around $8-9.00, sometimes less. It is good . Or take a trek over to East Peoria. Costco's Kirkland house blends, Red Wine, Meritage etc in the $15-20 range are uniformly really good
I agree about Menage a Trois. I also found a good pinot noir at Total Wine for $9.99 called Concannon.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Thanks! I hit up Sam's Club and got a variety. Malbec, Pinot, etc. Nothing over $12, I want to see what I like first. But the crappy Sutter Home merlot at Hooters was pretty good.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Race- Mangos
I had some I bought pre-cut and some whole ones that were starting to go mushy. Actually a fair way into being mushy. I made sherbert using just my food processor, not an ice cream maker. Simple syrup (50/50 water and sugar boiled),a little bit of alcohol(I used Hum which has ginger in it) and a bit more syrup in the second process. It matches the Hagendaz I bought for comparison.

Next up: overripe peaches, I think with some Cream Sherry.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree about Menage a Trois. I also found a good pinot noir at Total Wine for $9.99 called Concannon.
My husband has a subscription to Wine Spectator. They have a column called 25 under $25 that is reliable.However, everyone who reads it runs out and buys the stuff on the list. If you can find teh stuff on there, it is a fun way to try. One or two of the Kendall Jackson's or Turning Leaf's often show up on the list

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>There is noting on the local sites more than you would expect for a hot weekend. Nothing particularly organized and no riots. So far.
Thanks, they mentioned protests, then nothing more.....about wine, Consumer Reports gave a great grade to Target's boxed Pinot Grigio.....we tried it and liked it.....first boxed in frig, kinda fun with the spigot and all...lol...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks, they mentioned protests, then nothing more.....about wine, Consumer Reports gave a great grade to Target's boxed Pinot Grigio.....we tried it and liked it.....first boxed in frig, kinda fun with the spigot and all...lol...
I forgot about that.
For me personally, i have a psychological thing about having a large quantity available for consumption. I use more, finish it faster. This holds true for things like dish soap which I buy at Cosctco but transfer to a small bottle to use. Figured that out after I saw we were going through large amounts of stuff quickly.
It works for wine for me as well. I can portion out a bottle of wine. With a box,or even a 2 L bottle I keep drinking and drinking.

I suspect places like Sam's Club and Costco have figured this out and factored it into their sales projections.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Sounds good. Mango's are way late this year, not just my tree, but everyone's.
PEllen wrote:
Race- Mangos
I had some I bought pre-cut and some whole ones that were starting to go mushy. Actually a fair way into being mushy. I made sherbert using just my food processor, not an ice cream maker. Simple syrup (50/50 water and sugar boiled),a little bit of alcohol(I used Hum which has ginger in it) and a bit more syrup in the second process. It matches the Hagendaz I bought for comparison.
Next up: overripe peaches, I think with some Cream Sherry.

“What's it to ya?”

Spanaway, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Sounds good. Mango's are way late this year, not just my tree, but everyone's.
<quoted text>
We have tons (TONS!) of mangos here this year. They're all imported of course. But, I have a shit-ton of requests to make mango salsa. I took it to a BBQ a couple of years ago and now people are constantly requesting it. I'm thinking of bottling it. At least I have ripe mangos with which to work.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
We have tons (TONS!) of mangos here this year. They're all imported of course. But, I have a shit-ton of requests to make mango salsa. I took it to a BBQ a couple of years ago and now people are constantly requesting it. I'm thinking of bottling it. At least I have ripe mangos with which to work.
That is a really good dish.I do a variation.
I cut the pieces a big larger ( to lima bean size roughly) increase the fruit proportionately and call it a spicy fruit salad. It disappears.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

I loooove mango salsa. Mango & pineapple salsa over a nice piece of fish is such a great summer meal.

My boss is deathly allergic to mangoes (think peanut allergy) so whenever I bring any to work, I label my container with a skull and crossbones for her.:)

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

So I'm going to DMB this Saturday! Same venue as the Journey show I went to last fall and that was a blast, so I'm excited about this.

I guess it's a little early for a "weekend plans" post, huh? ;)

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
So I'm going to DMB this Saturday! Same venue as the Journey show I went to last fall and that was a blast, so I'm excited about this.
I guess it's a little early for a "weekend plans" post, huh? ;)
Heh, there was just a post on Reddit about how Dave was biking around before his show recently. Flat tire, no cell phone, this couple pulls over to help and realize it's the guy whose concert they're on the way to see. He gives them front row tickets, invites them to hang out after, etc. So not a fan of his music, but that was pretty cool.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Here's the link to the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/15/showbiz/dave-ma...
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh, there was just a post on Reddit about how Dave was biking around before his show recently. Flat tire, no cell phone, this couple pulls over to help and realize it's the guy whose concert they're on the way to see. He gives them front row tickets, invites them to hang out after, etc. So not a fan of his music, but that was pretty cool.
I always wonder how the performers do that, though. Don't you think that the front seats would already be all sold or given away by the day of the show, even if by the artist? How do seats/tickets suddenly become available?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 25 min OzRitz 45,780
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 46 min Uzi 67,930
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Tinka 1,079,668
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr truth 48,894
Presidential library planned for Chicago Chicag... 3 hr joey 3
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Milsack 174,600
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 5 hr TW_sugar_daddio 10
Abby 7-24 6 hr Pippa 42
•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000