Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#88276 Jul 15, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
If you a looking for a decent red blend that is not expensive, try Menage a Trois around $8-9.00, sometimes less. It is good . Or take a trek over to East Peoria. Costco's Kirkland house blends, Red Wine, Meritage etc in the $15-20 range are uniformly really good
I agree about Menage a Trois. I also found a good pinot noir at Total Wine for $9.99 called Concannon.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#88277 Jul 15, 2013
Thanks! I hit up Sam's Club and got a variety. Malbec, Pinot, etc. Nothing over $12, I want to see what I like first. But the crappy Sutter Home merlot at Hooters was pretty good.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88278 Jul 15, 2013
Race- Mangos
I had some I bought pre-cut and some whole ones that were starting to go mushy. Actually a fair way into being mushy. I made sherbert using just my food processor, not an ice cream maker. Simple syrup (50/50 water and sugar boiled),a little bit of alcohol(I used Hum which has ginger in it) and a bit more syrup in the second process. It matches the Hagendaz I bought for comparison.

Next up: overripe peaches, I think with some Cream Sherry.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88279 Jul 15, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree about Menage a Trois. I also found a good pinot noir at Total Wine for $9.99 called Concannon.
My husband has a subscription to Wine Spectator. They have a column called 25 under $25 that is reliable.However, everyone who reads it runs out and buys the stuff on the list. If you can find teh stuff on there, it is a fun way to try. One or two of the Kendall Jackson's or Turning Leaf's often show up on the list

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#88280 Jul 15, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>There is noting on the local sites more than you would expect for a hot weekend. Nothing particularly organized and no riots. So far.
Thanks, they mentioned protests, then nothing more.....about wine, Consumer Reports gave a great grade to Target's boxed Pinot Grigio.....we tried it and liked it.....first boxed in frig, kinda fun with the spigot and all...lol...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88281 Jul 15, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks, they mentioned protests, then nothing more.....about wine, Consumer Reports gave a great grade to Target's boxed Pinot Grigio.....we tried it and liked it.....first boxed in frig, kinda fun with the spigot and all...lol...
I forgot about that.
For me personally, i have a psychological thing about having a large quantity available for consumption. I use more, finish it faster. This holds true for things like dish soap which I buy at Cosctco but transfer to a small bottle to use. Figured that out after I saw we were going through large amounts of stuff quickly.
It works for wine for me as well. I can portion out a bottle of wine. With a box,or even a 2 L bottle I keep drinking and drinking.

I suspect places like Sam's Club and Costco have figured this out and factored it into their sales projections.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#88282 Jul 15, 2013
Sounds good. Mango's are way late this year, not just my tree, but everyone's.
PEllen wrote:
Race- Mangos
I had some I bought pre-cut and some whole ones that were starting to go mushy. Actually a fair way into being mushy. I made sherbert using just my food processor, not an ice cream maker. Simple syrup (50/50 water and sugar boiled),a little bit of alcohol(I used Hum which has ginger in it) and a bit more syrup in the second process. It matches the Hagendaz I bought for comparison.
Next up: overripe peaches, I think with some Cream Sherry.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#88283 Jul 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
Sounds good. Mango's are way late this year, not just my tree, but everyone's.
<quoted text>
We have tons (TONS!) of mangos here this year. They're all imported of course. But, I have a shit-ton of requests to make mango salsa. I took it to a BBQ a couple of years ago and now people are constantly requesting it. I'm thinking of bottling it. At least I have ripe mangos with which to work.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88284 Jul 15, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
We have tons (TONS!) of mangos here this year. They're all imported of course. But, I have a shit-ton of requests to make mango salsa. I took it to a BBQ a couple of years ago and now people are constantly requesting it. I'm thinking of bottling it. At least I have ripe mangos with which to work.
That is a really good dish.I do a variation.
I cut the pieces a big larger ( to lima bean size roughly) increase the fruit proportionately and call it a spicy fruit salad. It disappears.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#88286 Jul 15, 2013
I loooove mango salsa. Mango & pineapple salsa over a nice piece of fish is such a great summer meal.

My boss is deathly allergic to mangoes (think peanut allergy) so whenever I bring any to work, I label my container with a skull and crossbones for her.:)

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#88287 Jul 15, 2013
So I'm going to DMB this Saturday! Same venue as the Journey show I went to last fall and that was a blast, so I'm excited about this.

I guess it's a little early for a "weekend plans" post, huh? ;)

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#88288 Jul 15, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
So I'm going to DMB this Saturday! Same venue as the Journey show I went to last fall and that was a blast, so I'm excited about this.
I guess it's a little early for a "weekend plans" post, huh? ;)
Heh, there was just a post on Reddit about how Dave was biking around before his show recently. Flat tire, no cell phone, this couple pulls over to help and realize it's the guy whose concert they're on the way to see. He gives them front row tickets, invites them to hang out after, etc. So not a fan of his music, but that was pretty cool.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#88289 Jul 15, 2013
Here's the link to the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/15/showbiz/dave-ma...
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#88290 Jul 15, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh, there was just a post on Reddit about how Dave was biking around before his show recently. Flat tire, no cell phone, this couple pulls over to help and realize it's the guy whose concert they're on the way to see. He gives them front row tickets, invites them to hang out after, etc. So not a fan of his music, but that was pretty cool.
I always wonder how the performers do that, though. Don't you think that the front seats would already be all sold or given away by the day of the show, even if by the artist? How do seats/tickets suddenly become available?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#88291 Jul 15, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I always wonder how the performers do that, though. Don't you think that the front seats would already be all sold or given away by the day of the show, even if by the artist? How do seats/tickets suddenly become available?
I remember a story on the news about Ticketbastards. A kid idolized Billy Joel, was a music/piano major at Boston College or Boston U. Took the train into NYC to stand in line at Madison Square Garden to buy a ticket to the upcoming BJ concert. He was first in line. When the window opened at 10 a.m. the next day, the moment the window opened for business, a sign saying that all BJ tickets were sold out was put in its place.

Ticketmaster already had all the tickets, along with big concert promoters, vendors, etc. They never were actually available to the public right away. T hey went to brokers who then can resell at a higher prices than on the ticket.

So this kid couldn't get a ticket. So BJ had a ticket set aside for him after hearing about it.

Kid got a nosebleed seat in the highest, farthest away row. The ticket was free, but it was an insult nonetheless. but it makes sense that it'd be the only seat left to give away.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#88292 Jul 15, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I always wonder how the performers do that, though. Don't you think that the front seats would already be all sold or given away by the day of the show, even if by the artist? How do seats/tickets suddenly become available?
Yeah, no joke. I know the band and crew are alotted a certain amount, but what happens when they don't know anyone in town or whatever. I've never seen front row seats empty.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#88293 Jul 15, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a really good dish.I do a variation.
I cut the pieces a big larger ( to lima bean size roughly) increase the fruit proportionately and call it a spicy fruit salad. It disappears.
That sounds awesome. Another one I like is watermelon, either in balls (I have a melon baller) or chunks about 1 1/2 sq in, cilantro (to taste), lime juice (like 2 limes if they are juicy), and kosher salt to taste. Veeerrryyyy simple but yummy summer salad. You can do it with lemon, key lime, or meyer lemon too. I especially like it with meyer lemons.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#88294 Jul 15, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
If you a looking for a decent red blend that is not expensive, try Menage a Trois around $8-9.00, sometimes less. It is good . Or take a trek over to East Peoria. Costco's Kirkland house blends, Red Wine, Meritage etc in the $15-20 range are uniformly really good
Menage a Trois is good stuff for the price!

Friends posted their liquor store receipt online to show how much booze they were buying for a couple coming to visit.$14 something for Yellow Tail wine? You overpaid A LOT for that stuff!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#88295 Jul 15, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh, there was just a post on Reddit about how Dave was biking around before his show recently. Flat tire, no cell phone, this couple pulls over to help and realize it's the guy whose concert they're on the way to see. He gives them front row tickets, invites them to hang out after, etc. So not a fan of his music, but that was pretty cool.
I saw it on Facebook. Definitely cool!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88296 Jul 15, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I always wonder how the performers do that, though. Don't you think that the front seats would already be all sold or given away by the day of the show, even if by the artist? How do seats/tickets suddenly become available?
There was a rumor around campus that the contract between a production company and the venue contains provisions for seat allocations.Two rows at about Row G/H are held back for use by designated people to give away, etc. If not spoken for, 48 hours before performance time they are "released" for sale. This is in addition to stuff like the ticket brokers, radio stations, charity auctions etc.

I don't know if it works that way for rock concerts. My rumor says that is the way it works for things like Broadway shows and theater stuff.My rumor predates heavy use of on line ticketing.

Take away point: Be at the box office 48 hours before curtain time to see if the house tickets are being released and be prepared to pay face value. But, if you are buying them from the box office some of the extra fees aren't there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min UnderstandPeople 1,156,051
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr litesong 49,333
delhi female 1 hr yatharth 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Guru 182,106
Fight at Navy Pier 2 hr joey 1
abby 12-26 2 hr Mister Tonka 4
amy 12-26 2 hr Mister Tonka 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:00AM
Colts' Complete Week 17 Preview vs. Titans
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Bears vs. Vikings: What Experts Are Saying About Chicago
NBC Sports 6:03 AM
Jim Caldwell: No concerns about starting a rookie center
Bleacher Report 8:46 AM
What Are Experts Saying About Vikings?
NBC Sports11:28 AM
Bears extend Roberto Garza through 2015