“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#88193 Jul 12, 2013
Okay, so I have been listening to the group rhapsodize about Rush long enough that I took some CD's out of the library to check out what all the fuss is about
This is what I have. Where should I start?

Vapor Trails
Retrospective 3
Clockwork Angel

Not dragging this group into opera, operetta or classical, but if you want to have some good listening try Pink Martini and Los Angeles Guitar Quartet ( find their version of Pachebel's Canon if you can.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#88194 Jul 12, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
LOVE Popeye's for fried chicken and Chick Fil A for Chicken sandwiches and biscuits.
BK makes me sick. Literally. Last time I went, I got a chicken sandwich instead of the whopper (whoppers are tasty but kill my tummy), and could only eat 2 bites of teh chicken. So gross.
Same with Checkers burgers. NASTY!
My wife works in a pharmacy and told me, many cases of food poisoning come from fast food-type chicken sandwiches...something about the temperature the chicken's stored at.....Can't do Popeye's since a news segment a coupla years ago, about the guy up north, got Popeye's chicken and halfway through a piece, discovered it was a fried mouse....I almost projectile hurled, when the sad, black guy said...he'd already eaten half.....Wow.....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#88195 Jul 12, 2013
LOL!
ok, that was funny.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I won't mention your apparent love for a penis shaped piece of meat drowning in chili. I'm too classy for that.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#88196 Jul 12, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Okay, so I have been listening to the group rhapsodize about Rush long enough that I took some CD's out of the library to check out what all the fuss is about
Vapor Trails
Retrospective 3
Clockwork Angel
Not dragging this group into opera, operetta or classical, but if you want to have some good listening try Pink Martini and Los Angeles Guitar Quartet ( find their version of Pachebel's Canon if you can.
Nick finds cool videos of young, hip classical musicians playing fun classical music in cool locations. HIs boys LOVE that stuff.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#88197 Jul 12, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. We have Carl's Jr., which I think is owned by Hardys. We also have Sonic. Their food is kinda ok I guess. I go there only for the drinks. Of course I'm not a big fan of fast food places anyway, so it doesn't really matter. When I go for fast food I usually get pho. <shrug>
It's hard to eat pho when you are driving though.

There was a place in a basement food court across from my office that made really excellent pho especially beef pho. It was enough for lunch and dinner. But a more trendy place opened at street level about a block and a half away and the basement place closed

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#88198 Jul 12, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Nick finds cool videos of young, hip classical musicians playing fun classical music in cool locations. HIs boys LOVE that stuff.
Yeah I fell across someone named David Wang playing 4 separate tracks of violin to MUSE Hysteria. That was cool.

Neda, stay with me!

#88199 Jul 12, 2013
Start with Retrospective.
Use this wikii link as a guide and try to listen to the songs by album earlist to latest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrospective_I...

Then Vapor Trails.

Oh, and for a fuller appreciation, google the songs and get the lyrics. Neil Peart as an accomplished author, a very intelligent man, and his lyrics should be read as well as heard.

You're in for a treat!
PEllen wrote:
Vapor Trails
Retrospective 3
Clockwork Angel

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#88200 Jul 12, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
i've found a couple of newer groups of string musicians that play some classical and some contemporary songs. cool as they are, britany spears isn't improved. and Welcome to the Jungle is just weird. one of them did a cool job iwth Coldplay.

i'm trying to find stuff that i can play at work that is calm(er) yet interesting. i have a few hours of classical, mostly strings (horns tend to get too... rile-me-up) and classical/spanish guitar, but i need a little more variety after awhile.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#88201 Jul 12, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i've found a couple of newer groups of string musicians that play some classical and some contemporary songs. cool as they are, britany spears isn't improved. and Welcome to the Jungle is just weird. one of them did a cool job iwth Coldplay.
i'm trying to find stuff that i can play at work that is calm(er) yet interesting. i have a few hours of classical, mostly strings (horns tend to get too... rile-me-up) and classical/spanish guitar, but i need a little more variety after awhile.
Do you use Pandora? You need to sign up but it is free and the ads are tolerable.

Start with one of the composers or performers you like and let them build a "station" for you. You need to interact with it for a while to help form things to your preference.Their algorithm is designed to make suggestions based on what you like . When you find stuff you like, get it from the library .

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#88202 Jul 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
Start with Retrospective.
Use this wikii link as a guide and try to listen to the songs by album earlist to latest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrospective_I...
Then Vapor Trails.
Oh, and for a fuller appreciation, google the songs and get the lyrics. Neil Peart as an accomplished author, a very intelligent man, and his lyrics should be read as well as heard.
You're in for a treat!
<quoted text>
Thanks. I saved this off line so I can find it again

Neda, stay with me!

#88203 Jul 12, 2013
At the risk of having my man card pulled...
Have you tried Enya?
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#88205 Jul 12, 2013
Why is this Yahoo frot page news worthy?

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/dumped-w...

Hell, it wasn't even a spontaneous gesture. She ordered it along with her salad.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#88206 Jul 12, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> My wife works in a pharmacy and told me, many cases of food poisoning come from fast food-type chicken sandwiches...something about the temperature the chicken's stored at.....Can't do Popeye's since a news segment a coupla years ago, about the guy up north, got Popeye's chicken and halfway through a piece, discovered it was a fried mouse....I almost projectile hurled, when the sad, black guy said...he'd already eaten half.....Wow.....
I usually get "discernable" pieces (legs and wings).:D
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#88207 Jul 12, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to eat pho when you are driving though.
There was a place in a basement food court across from my office that made really excellent pho especially beef pho. It was enough for lunch and dinner. But a more trendy place opened at street level about a block and a half away and the basement place closed
OK - what exactly is pho? Is it noodles?

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#88208 Jul 12, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Hell, it wasn't even a spontaneous gesture. She ordered it along with her salad.
Also, good thing she isn't a lesbian ("you don't need him anyway").

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#88209 Jul 12, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#88210 Jul 12, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
OK - what exactly is pho? Is it noodles?
It is broth with vermicelli-like rice noodles, slices of meat, a meat type dumpling, probably some slivered green onion. The good place put all that in one container and had bean sprouts separately to add in just before eating. there were 2 little cups with sauce to mix in. One was brown and probably a Vietnamese fish sauce or something similar and the other was a hot sauce. The brown sauce I considered necessary, the red hot sauce discretionary.There is probably other stuff as well.

Mimi will be the subject matter expert on this, I believe.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#88211 Jul 12, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, good thing she isn't a lesbian ("you don't need him anyway").
I am not sure I could find it but I saw a great Lolcat the other day of a surprised cat with wide eyes and mouth and the caption "Lesbians eat What?!!"

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#88212 Jul 12, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure I could find it but I saw a great Lolcat the other day of a surprised cat with wide eyes and mouth and the caption "Lesbians eat What?!!"
Heh.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#88213 Jul 12, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
agreed. Cute, sweet, but too planned.

LIke people at passiveaggressivenotes.com who take pictures of their own notes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy 10-24 7 min Sublime1 14
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Right 1,127,175
2 dead, 7 hurt in shootings since Friday evening 53 min reality is a crutch 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 59 min Doug77 4,799
abby 10-25 1 hr RACE 3
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr boundary painter 353
amy 1-25 1 hr RACE 4
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr jacques Ottawa 179,464
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]