Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin would be my #1....Hendrix, then Eric Clapton.....

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I just browsed a top 100 guitarists of all time listing that was created out of a reader poll on Guitar World.com .
Jimi Hendrix was not number 1. Ok. I can live with that. But then I saw who defeated him. No disrespect, but even as a big Queen fan, would YOU consider Brian May better guitarist than Jimi Hendrix?
Jimi Hendrix died at what, 27? Brian May has been making amazing music for over 40 years. Maybe it's more that Brian May is known by so many more people -- especially young people -- because Jimi died so long ago?

I wouldn't say Brian or Jimi is better than the other. they both have very different playing styles. Brian May is AMAZING. But I also love JH and have most of his work -- including stuff that his father released long after Jimi died.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

Okay, I'm so sick of edog's *willful ignorance*. that's what it is. But I'm going to try to channel tonka and mock him, laugh at hmi, and move on.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Ugh, Eric Clapton isn't that good, in my book, and most of my guitarist friends would agree. I find his playing style grating, simplistic, and repetitive.

Then again, Foo Fighters are CRAZY repetitive in almost all of their songs, and I love them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Just got home. Went to watch Nick's 11yo play baseball. Good 11yos. Then we left to watch Nick's 6yo play. HA! Totally different sport. One is baseball. The other is a bunch of boys playing in the dirt, having to be told a million times "watch the game," "look at the batter," EVERYBODY ON THE BENCH PUT THE BATS DOWN, etc. It was comical. When a ball is hit, several kids will run for the ball and fight for it, climb over each other, etc. They rarely throw the ball to make the out -- they run to where the batter is.

But when Nick's kid hit a double (he's a very good ball player, but he plays a lot with his dad and brother), one of the other adorable little byos on the other team high fived him as he stood on 2nd base.

It was a HOOT. And I got to hold a 10-day-old baby!!! He looked like William Shatner but I didn't tell the mom that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin would be my #1....Hendrix, then Eric Clapton.....
Jimmy Page is pretty amazing. I've heard countless covers of "Rock 'n' Roll," including Heart's, and while they usually are very good, you can hear the lead guitarist take shortcuts in the lead guitar line b/c they cant' do what he did.

I imagine Jimmy, Jimi, Brian, and Eric would think this is just a silly debate and that you can't compare one artist to another objectively.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimi Hendrix died at what, 27? Brian May has been making amazing music for over 40 years. Maybe it's more that Brian May is known by so many more people -- especially young people -- because Jimi died so long ago?
I wouldn't say Brian or Jimi is better than the other. they both have very different playing styles. Brian May is AMAZING. But I also love JH and have most of his work -- including stuff that his father released long after Jimi died.
???
Again, no disrespect to Brian may, but you think more people know who Brian May is than Jimi Hendrix? Especially young people??!!??That is way crazier to me than someone thinking he was a better guitarist(that's just matter of taste). How do young people know Brian May more than Hendrix? I would think more young people would have no idea who he is since he's best known as the guitarist for Queen, who is about as relevant to the 'kids' as Hendrix is. ie:Music their parents listened to.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
???
Again, no disrespect to Brian may, but you think more people know who Brian May is than Jimi Hendrix? Especially young people??!!??That is way crazier to me than someone thinking he was a better guitarist(that's just matter of taste). How do young people know Brian May more than Hendrix? I would think more young people would have no idea who he is since he's best known as the guitarist for Queen, who is about as relevant to the 'kids' as Hendrix is. ie:Music their parents listened to.
No, I just offered it as a possible explanation as to how brian May would top Jimi Hendrix in a list like that (mainly b/c I've never seen that happen before).

And think about when Jimi Hendrix died. Queen was making music from the early 1970s to 1990, 1991. Today's kids' parents are more likely to have Queen in their music collection that Jimi Hendrix.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Ugh, Eric Clapton isn't that good, in my book, and most of my guitarist friends would agree. I find his playing style grating, simplistic, and repetitive.
Then again, Foo Fighters are CRAZY repetitive in almost all of their songs, and I love them.
This guitar thing got in my head cause of something I saw on someone's FB page asking for your top 15 guitarists.

I tried to come up with a list of people *I* think of when I think bad ass guitar.

Here is my short go-to list. I'm sure there are many deserving folks that many would rank higher, but this is who *I* think of.

Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton

Yes those are my top 2 in that order. The rest of my list is in no particular order.

Slash
Ben Harper
Mike McCready (Pearl Jam)
Rich Robinson (Black Crowes - his awesomeness is more on display when you see him live)
Jimmy Page
John Mayer (don't laugh. His lovey dovey radio hits just pay the bills, but he's another one who plays his ass off live)
Eddie Van Halen (I forgot how good he was till I saw them live a few years ago)
Robert Randolph

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I imagine Jimmy, Jimi, Brian, and Eric would think this is just a silly debate and that you can't compare one artist to another objectively.
Of course. There is no objective "best". But we love lists! Its just that the title does not match the content.

Instead of Best Guitarists, it really is Guitarists I Enjoy the Most.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Just got home. Went to watch Nick's 11yo play baseball. Good 11yos. Then we left to watch Nick's 6yo play. HA! Totally different sport. One is baseball. The other is a bunch of boys playing in the dirt, having to be told a million times "watch the game," "look at the batter," EVERYBODY ON THE BENCH PUT THE BATS DOWN, etc. It was comical. When a ball is hit, several kids will run for the ball and fight for it, climb over each other, etc. They rarely throw the ball to make the out -- they run to where the batter is.
But when Nick's kid hit a double (he's a very good ball player, but he plays a lot with his dad and brother), one of the other adorable little byos on the other team high fived him as he stood on 2nd base.
It was a HOOT. And I got to hold a 10-day-old baby!!! He looked like William Shatner but I didn't tell the mom that.
hah! I was listening to random stand up comedy on Pandora yesterday and some comedian said it was better to watch little kids playing baseball than the special Olympics cause its ok to laugh.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

hah! Awesome t-shirts

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
The girl version of this is soccer. The first graders stand around in a group and run up and down the field in a group. When put in their positions , at least one chews on the end of her hair.Half teh time teh goalie is looking somewhere else or has so much equipment on that she can't move. By about 6th grade they can really run and keep a position and execute strategy, but not much before that.

I don't know the temper and culture of kids sports up by you, but my husband has been a soccer ref for close to 20 years now and has some pithy things to say about people on the side lines who are overly loud and aggressive to the kids.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
hah! Awesome t-shirts
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Cool. But at the end where you see still shots from other YouTubes- did you catch the one where a gator ate a kids arm and it had the arm and hand hanging out of the gator's mouth?
Ewwww.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
hah! I was listening to random stand up comedy on Pandora yesterday and some comedian said it was better to watch little kids playing baseball than the special Olympics cause its ok to laugh.
Curiosity- whatever happened at your old shop? Did they lay off lots of people? If you had not jumped ship would your position still be there?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Curiosity- whatever happened at your old shop? Did they lay off lots of people? If you had not jumped ship would your position still be there?
Talked to the last remaining little indian in IT. They still have not told him anything. But other departments like finance are getting smaller and smaller every day. Chiefs and Indians being shown the door little by little.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Spanaway, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

RACE!!! They're leaving Alex Lifeson off their lists of best ever guitar players! <sigh> Sad sad sad...

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
RACE!!! They're leaving Alex Lifeson off their lists of best ever guitar players! <sigh> Sad sad sad...
Ha. The guitar world list had him losing to eddie van halen in the final four. Wanna be more saddened? I had no idea who he was...till I saw your post. Now i have a pretty good guess.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
oh, and that one little indian? He checks one daily process to ensure that it ran. Other thsn that, he has no work to do all day. Nice work if you can get it, but definitely has an end date approaching even if mgt is not telling him when .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 86,861 - 86,880 of97,454
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

30 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 16 min 75 Scorpio 406
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 57 min LRS 173,742
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr shinningelectr0n 1,072,818
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr The Troll Stopper 48,695
Evergreen Park Man Facing Charges In South Side... 1 hr wow 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 68,161
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr No Warming 45,547
•••

Flash Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at July 13 at 12:40AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search