|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
They make portable A/Cs that don't have to go into a window now.
I haven't lived without central heat and air since I was 19 years old. I couldn't imagine!!! Of course, it's sweltering most of the year here!
Those portable ones are so inefficient, they're not worth buying (I just researched them the othe day). Sad.:( Basically, they create so much heat, you won't get much benefit from them, since the heat doesn't get vented outside.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Those portable ones are so inefficient, they're not worth buying (I just researched them the othe day). Sad.:( Basically, they create so much heat, you won't get much benefit from them, since the heat doesn't get vented outside.
The one's I've seen have a hose that goes to a contraption that fits in a window, very much like a window unit AC.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Thats what the one I have (yes, I believe in redundancy) has. It even has an adjustable fitting for use in sliding glass doors. The water and heat are two different system. The water collects in a tank like a dehumidifier, and the heat is exhausted thru a hose.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
The one's I've seen have a hose that goes to a contraption that fits in a window, very much like a window unit AC.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Spanaway, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know that I like this west coast thing. I feel like I'm so behind everyone else. Ry said yesterday that he doesn't like CA because it took us over 3 hours to get back to my parents' house from Santa Ana (we had gone to visit my middle bro and his family this weekend and then to Legoland). No place in NJ takes 3 hours - that is one of the main things I love about it.
Forget Santa Ana, drive up to Pismo. Much better anyway.

And you're three hours younger out here.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Spanaway, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Happy Monday. It's warm here. It was 89 in my place at 10 p.m. last night. I posted about it on FB -- I didn't complain/whine too much, but I was so miserable (changed sweaty clothes four times, took two cool showers, etc.). but I tried to make jokes about it. Like how my dishwater wasn't cooling off so fast. ;)
But a friend showed up at work today with a perfectly functioning window AC unit they no longer need since they installed central air last summer! Woo hoo! Nick hopes to come over tomorrow night to install it for me.
Very nice.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

When we bought this house in 88 we put in central AC. The quasi hoarder i me would not throw or give away the window AC units. Somewhere around 2000 the central AC needed re-charging but needed a different kind of coolant. Nope. We have the window units in the bedrooms, only run the at night when we are home and it costs a lot less than cooling the whole house

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Squishy- did you go to the art fair? What did you think of it?

They wanted a voluntary donation of $5 to enter. I didn't see anyone pay.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I know. Different part of the country and all, but that seems so foreign to me. No central air. Installed after the fact. Every place I've ever lived, except one, has had central air. Houses and apartments.
We moved down to Hialeah, then Miami Springs starting when i was 6 weeks old till i was 8 without any Air Condition at all....It was only at the theaters and big stores....that's why in those old movies, by the marquis you often see some cartoon penguins or big ice cubes....that meant...NICE....Late 50's-early 60's window units, eventually led to central AC....

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Late 50's-early 60's window units, eventually led to central AC....
ie: before I was born.

:)

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Squishy- did you go to the art fair? What did you think of it?
They wanted a voluntary donation of $5 to enter. I didn't see anyone pay.
We thought it was cr@p. The quality seemed poor and there were a lot fewer artists.

We paid $10 on our way out; no cash on the way in.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
We thought it was cr@p. The quality seemed poor and there were a lot fewer artists.
We paid $10 on our way out; no cash on the way in.
I agree.
The crane was gone and the fountain going, so that was a plus

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

a very touching story on the firefighters in AZ:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizona/article...

get out your hankies!

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Thanks , Dog

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Oh my freaking god:

SAND SPRINGS, Okla. A Tulsa man remained jailed Monday on a peeping Tom complaint after authorities discovered him inside a septic tank beneath a women's bathroom at a Sand Springs water park.

Kenneth Enslow, 52, was arrested Sunday after a woman called police. She had taken her 7-year-old daughter to the bathroom and noticed a man looking up at her from inside the toilet, Tulsa County Sheriff's Maj. Shannon Clark said.

"He went in there, climbed down in the septic and was looking up at the people utilizing that facility," Clark said.

Enslow, who was covered in human waste, was helped from the septic tank by members of the Keystone Fire Department, who sprayed him off with a fire hose and then transported to a hospital for evaluation, according to a sheriff's report.

Court and jail records do not indicate if Enslow has an attorney.

Enslow told police that a woman hit him in the head with a tire iron and dumped him in the toilet, according to the report.

But Clark said: "There were no injuries consistent with that."

Enslow remained jailed on a felony warrant from Okmulgee County related to a 1998 embezzlement case, court records show.

A formal arraignment in the peeping Tom case is scheduled for July 15.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Now why didn't I think of that?
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Oh my freaking god:
SAND SPRINGS, Okla. A Tulsa man remained jailed Monday on a peeping Tom complaint after authorities discovered him inside a septic tank beneath a women's bathroom at a Sand Springs water park.
Kenneth Enslow, 52, was arrested Sunday after a woman called police. She had taken her 7-year-old daughter to the bathroom and noticed a man looking up at her from inside the toilet, Tulsa County Sheriff's Maj. Shannon Clark said.
"He went in there, climbed down in the septic and was looking up at the people utilizing that facility," Clark said.
Enslow, who was covered in human waste, was helped from the septic tank by members of the Keystone Fire Department, who sprayed him off with a fire hose and then transported to a hospital for evaluation, according to a sheriff's report.
Court and jail records do not indicate if Enslow has an attorney.
Enslow told police that a woman hit him in the head with a tire iron and dumped him in the toilet, according to the report.
But Clark said: "There were no injuries consistent with that."
Enslow remained jailed on a felony warrant from Okmulgee County related to a 1998 embezzlement case, court records show.
A formal arraignment in the peeping Tom case is scheduled for July 15.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Anybody else watching the IIS spacewalk? Pretty cool

http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

RACE wrote:
Now why didn't I think of that?
<quoted text>
Perhaps because you think with your brain rather than.... nope, I can't imagine what body part you think with to climb into a septic tank for random crotch shots.

And may I say, YUK!!

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

my mind boggles at the though of the physics involved in eitehr mode of entry...

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

so, as of yesterday, it's been one year since my SIL sat on my couch crying, ranting and raving about what to do and where she was going to sleep because she got locked out of her apartment by her (now) soon (we hope) to be exhusband. what a year it's been... she's gotten cleaner, gottne on her feet, into counseling, into her own place, gotten a much better job, and into school.

i don't think she could have imagined all this a year ago.

now to get the girls to have a wee bit of insight and compassion for her... the younger one comes home from a 2 week trip abroad and lights into SIL about "did you use while i was gone" and the older one piles it on. but they're not open to the possibility of listening or trying to undestand...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

90 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min scirocco 1,079,291
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 min Terry rigsby 48,878
Woman Posts Selfie Of Stolen Dress To Facebook;... 22 min Tina 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 31 min Learn to Read 174,519
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 32 min andet1987 4,547
Abby 7-24 55 min Mister Tonka 10
Amy 7-24 1 hr boundary painter 16
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000