Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Here-
your dream/nightmare has come true.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23567...
See? You people keep calling me crazy and here I am saying I told you so.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Amy for 7-7-, sort of:
The first letter is a repeat from one of the earlier columns this week

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TSBEEN4RTL...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

*Peeking out from under my rock*

Um...hullo? Anyone out there?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
no (crawls back under own rock)

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T7AQPLG3FO...

Abby for July 8

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TJ40LDP646...

Amy for July 8 with an announcement of 2 weeks of re-hash coming up. Yumm.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Spanaway, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
No, not yet. It' Monday.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Just finally got here, been catching up from the long weekend. This whole work thing is really getting in the way of my Topix time lately.... ;)

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>See? You people keep calling me crazy and here I am saying I told you so.
Ugh. You are crazy. That is not a marriage, it is a publicity stunt.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:

I don't know that I like this west coast thing. I feel like I'm so behind everyone else. Ry said yesterday that he doesn't like CA because it took us over 3 hours to get back to my parents' house from Santa Ana (we had gone to visit my middle bro and his family this weekend and then to Legoland). No place in NJ takes 3 hours - that is one of the main things I love about it.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Happy Monday. It's warm here. It was 89 in my place at 10 p.m. last night. I posted about it on FB -- I didn't complain/whine too much, but I was so miserable (changed sweaty clothes four times, took two cool showers, etc.). but I tried to make jokes about it. Like how my dishwater wasn't cooling off so fast. ;)

But a friend showed up at work today with a perfectly functioning window AC unit they no longer need since they installed central air last summer! Woo hoo! Nick hopes to come over tomorrow night to install it for me.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Happy Monday. It's warm here. It was 89 in my place at 10 p.m. last night. I posted about it on FB -- I didn't complain/whine too much, but I was so miserable (changed sweaty clothes four times, took two cool showers, etc.). but I tried to make jokes about it. Like how my dishwater wasn't cooling off so fast. ;)
But a friend showed up at work today with a perfectly functioning window AC unit they no longer need since they installed central air last summer! Woo hoo! Nick hopes to come over tomorrow night to install it for me.
I know. Different part of the country and all, but that seems so foreign to me. No central air. Installed after the fact. Every place I've ever lived, except one, has had central air. Houses and apartments.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I know. Different part of the country and all, but that seems so foreign to me. No central air. Installed after the fact. Every place I've ever lived, except one, has had central air. Houses and apartments.
WEll, typically, we get maybe three hot weeks each summer where you really need AC. As in, it gets to 95 (Or hotter) and stays there, doesn't get below 75 at night, so nothing cools down, etc. So a lot of people do rely on window units in the bedroom just to get through that period.

But that kind of sucks -- makes it tough to open windows when you get a nice day.(Quite a few households will piece together cooling with 2,3, 4 window units.)

Remember the Midwest heat wave of 1995? 750 or so people died in Chicago from the heat. That three-week period, our AC (central AC) in the house we were renting died on the first day of the heat wave. It sucked.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
WEll, typically, we get maybe three hot weeks each summer where you really need AC. As in, it gets to 95 (Or hotter) and stays there, doesn't get below 75 at night, so nothing cools down, etc. So a lot of people do rely on window units in the bedroom just to get through that period.
But that kind of sucks -- makes it tough to open windows when you get a nice day.(Quite a few households will piece together cooling with 2,3, 4 window units.)
Remember the Midwest heat wave of 1995? 750 or so people died in Chicago from the heat. That three-week period, our AC (central AC) in the house we were renting died on the first day of the heat wave. It sucked.
They make portable A/Cs that don't have to go into a window now.

I haven't lived without central heat and air since I was 19 years old. I couldn't imagine!!! Of course, it's sweltering most of the year here!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I had just moved into my first apartment and had zippo money when that heatwave hit. I only had the fan that my mom gave me, so I would spend as much time as I could away from my apt (I think I went to the gym alot) and then I would take as cold a shower as I could stand and then lay down wet and naked with the fan blowing on me. I'd have to put the sheet on in a few minutes and then I'd fall asleep.

But even now, I don't really like a lot of AC. We haven't put our window units in and if it stays as (relatively) cool as it has been, we might not put them in at all.

I feel like we do a lot of b!tching all winter about how cold it is, so when it finally gets hot we should shut up and enjoy it. Up to a point that is; I would have committed homicide if I hadn't had an AC unit in our bedroom while I was pregnant.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

I grew up in an old house with no central air and only two rooms with AC units, but there were lots of trees around the house for shade so it stayed pretty comfortable. But this was in NJ. Even the ghetto-est of homes down here have central air.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

My first apartment had no central air. It was a nightmare, because I was working 3rds and had to sleep during the hottest part of the day. Window unit was in the living room, so I mostly just slept on my couch. Or, if I really wanted to sleep in my bed, I'd set up a network of fans to funnel the cool air in there.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

my parents FINALLY got central AC about 5-7 years ago... my dad has apologized many times over for "putting us through that for so long"...

and from the Sucks to be Them departmetn, they ahve to replace the furnace and water heater AGAIN... this is the set that i atended to in APRIL... we gotta get them some tube sand or sand bags.

and to think that my mom didn't thnk that a tankless H2O heater (taht gets mounted up on a wall) would be worth the increased price. Um, that idea woulda saved them 2 G's this year alone! and i just checked lowe's, and they cost only about double what a standard one costs there, so it shouldn;t be all THAT muhc more...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 86,781 - 86,800 of97,515
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

94 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min John Galt 1,078,682
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 16 min Terry rigsby 48,845
Chicago Train Robbery 18 min ItsTheUncleRemusConcept 4
Strategy 20 min USA-NOLongerNo-1 6
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 22 min Taeb 67,880
Children were thrown to hungry crocodiles 24 min KidsRBiteSizedLuvdByCrocs 4
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 27 min SpaceBlues 45,762
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 10:02AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE