Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Yeah, I find that rationalization disgusting. But I wont start on that diatribe.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it particularly irritating to see the commentary about how it is okay for blacks and black comedians especially to use the word because they have more latitude but to come crushingly hard down on a middle aged white woman for a generalize attitude.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>There were pictures of her Savannah restaurant with people lined up. Your observation was spot on. All white and certainly all with big butts.
That being said, the reaction is so strong that it feels uncomfortably like an internet lynching.
I find it particularly irritating to see the commentary about how it is okay for blacks and black comedians especially to use the word because they have more latitude but to come crushingly hard down on a middle aged white woman for a generalize attitude. I have seen snippets of her deposition testimony- she seems to be catching it more for setting up a plantation wedding with black waiters like in Shirley Temple I think that is how she phrased it).
Give it a year or so. She will be back. Tiger Woods did it.People don't puke at the mention of Michael Vick. Anthony Weiner is leading the race for NYC mayor (In case there is any doubt, that is a cynical statement)
IMO, black folk use the n-word and call white folks crackers (see Zimmerman trial) to be intentionally provacative and offensive. Paula Dean is totally clueless as to why what she said would bother anybody.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

has anyone heard anythign about the paula deen thing and how her current employees have different bathrooms or duties (front of hte house vs back of the house) depending on the color of their skin? my mom said somethign about it, but i've nver seen anythign, not htat i'm following that closely. but if what my mom came up wiht is true, it would be all over the place.

but then, this is from my mom, so we don't always know where she sources her news....

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, black folk use the n-word and call white folks crackers (see Zimmerman trial) to be intentionally provacative and offensive. Paula Dean is totally clueless as to why what she said would bother anybody.
I certainly agree with that. But the corporate sponsors and their advertising/PR departments knew what they were buying in her cluelessness and her dietary choices. Is someone going to say that the fancy little MBA's from Penn State working in NYC corporations thought that "under the skin" she was just a nice lady?

I can see the companies who use her as a brand dropping her, but her publisher was set to make a lot of money and they baled , too.

So how did that wedding actually turn out? Did the brother get married? Was there a plantation theme or was it just talk? If it actually happened, what was the publicity at the time?

Or, is all this just after the fact sanctimony?

FWIW, I have never seen her show, don't eat that kind of food and was never interested in her or her products... before all this. Until the butter/sugar lady got diabetes I am not sure I would have known who she was.

Like I said. Give it a year. She'll be back.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

re Paula Deen

I thougth this was an interesting POV.

http://news.yahoo.com/banality-butter-hannah-...

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

I dont get this....
Arendt would say itís pertinent that our country, in order to speed the post-war reconciliation, never had to acknowledge what the Confederacy really was. And many continue not to acknowledge this flat fact: any society founded on the bondage of one's fellow man is rotten at its core.

Speed up post war reconciliation???
I was not part of that war, nor was my father or his father, so I dont get what reconciliation is expected. Seems to me that there have been tremendout effors towards this idea of reconciliation, and it never seems to be enough.

I honestly dont think that there will ever "be enough", some will always play the race card (see jessy and al) and will forever hold onto a belief that they are owed something because one of their distant ancestors was a slave.

I dont defend her actions, and since I aint black I cant say that a black person should not feel offended when their is a party where the theme is based upon a southern plantation with slaves serving, but I do think that its her right to have that party , and the blacks hired should choose whether to participate, and whether they do or dont, nobody has the right to get all up in arms about it.
squishymama wrote:
re Paula Deen
I thougth this was an interesting POV.
http://news.yahoo.com/banality-butter-hannah-...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
I dont get this....
Arendt would say itís pertinent that our country, in order to speed the post-war reconciliation, never had to acknowledge what the Confederacy really was. And many continue not to acknowledge this flat fact: any society founded on the bondage of one's fellow man is rotten at its core.
Speed up post war reconciliation???
I was not part of that war, nor was my father or his father, so I dont get what reconciliation is expected. Seems to me that there have been tremendout effors towards this idea of reconciliation, and it never seems to be enough.
I honestly dont think that there will ever "be enough", some will always play the race card (see jessy and al) and will forever hold onto a belief that they are owed something because one of their distant ancestors was a slave.
I dont defend her actions, and since I aint black I cant say that a black person should not feel offended when their is a party where the theme is based upon a southern plantation with slaves serving, but I do think that its her right to have that party , and the blacks hired should choose whether to participate, and whether they do or dont, nobody has the right to get all up in arms about it.
<quoted text>
People like Dawn Strauss, the author of the article seem to forget that by the 1860's Britain had already abolished slavery for something like 25 years. It is hard to give credence to Strauss cloak of northern sanctity for a war based on slavery when the north sounded like it would have been just fine going on as it had been.

I am not a Lincoln scholar or a Civil War one either, but if there had not been a war, will anyone give be odds that Lin col would have issues the Emancipation Proclamation when he did ( which BTW only freed slaves in the Confederacy and not in the Union states)
The Man

Lansing, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

i am hungry.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> So what label do you put on someone like Kanye West?
Low class?
Tacky?
Attention ho?
Narcissistic, as in its all about me and F' you?
All of the above!

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

Everyone is sick! Including me, but I plan on being better in time for the long weekend which begins tomorrow night. Yesterday I stayed home from work for the first time since I've worked here (almost 7 years). I worked from home a bit though.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

Long weekend starts today around 4ish

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

RACE wrote:
Long weekend starts today around 4ish
What do you have planned?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

I think my weekend is going to start in about an hour. I have a ton of meetings and classes next week, but not a whole lot going on right now. Methinks it is mani/pedi time.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

visiting a buddy dinner with him and his wife, watch fireworks (that will be different, I am usually the one lighting the fuses) then boats beer cigars, rinse repeat.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>What do you have planned?

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

Oh, sure. try and show me up by starting your weekend sooner the me!
Matilda77 wrote:
I think my weekend is going to start in about an hour. I have a ton of meetings and classes next week, but not a whole lot going on right now. Methinks it is mani/pedi time.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

July 4th plans?

Thursday: Small town parade with Nick and his family (his first July 4th without his kids in 11 years), then back to NIck's parents' for food and swimming.

Friday: Babysitting at 4 for friends.

Saturday: Date night!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
July 4th plans?
Thursday: Small town parade with Nick and his family (his first July 4th without his kids in 11 years), then back to NIck's parents' for food and swimming.
Friday: Babysitting at 4 for friends.
Saturday: Date night!
Babysittong? Where's rhat crazy chick that was here a few weeks ago to tell us how you have nefarious plans and rhose parents should not let the kida out of their sight unless grandma's watching them?

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

She's probably sedated. Maybe a medically induced coma.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Babysittong? Where's rhat crazy chick that was here a few weeks ago to tell us how you have nefarious plans and rhose parents should not let the kida out of their sight unless grandma's watching them?

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

Thursday- who knows

Friday- working, which is fine because otherwise I wouldn't get paid.

Saturday- me and my sis are going to Cedar Point in Ohio and visiting our friend out there (who happens to be a flaming gay man for those of you who for some reason think I'm a homophobe.)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 86,701 - 86,720 of97,511
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

37 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Hymen Ripper 1,078,369
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 min TRD 67,851
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 56 min JOEL COOL DUDE 68,357
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr LRS 174,457
Anti-Jewish leaflets: Anti-Semitic hate message... 3 hr Guess what 6
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 3 hr KrisChristie 1,855
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr Terry rigsby 48,839
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 22 at 8:55PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search