“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87945 Jul 2, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
They only do it on the 4th. We're too lazy to go anywhere else, since the kids usually fall asleep anyway. I think this year we're going to borrow the wagon from the in-law's for Nunu; she's a b!tch to wake up and too heavy to carry!
We can usually see some Chicago's display from our beach, so we sorta get two shows in one.
Fountain Square in downtown Evanston.
I have been going to the gym near there. Fountain Square is a construction zone with a large crane in the middle at the moment- I will make a point of checking it out though.

It would be way cool if they hung some art pieces from the boom of the crane

(I like the beer place on the nose of the square( it is 5 streets coming together with a long needle triangle shaped tip with a fountain in it)- it is byo food. We stop at Whole foods for cheese and crackers and chips and go over there occasionally.)

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87946 Jul 2, 2013
Mani/pedi, check. Now cider and pizza. Then a nap with the dogs.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#87947 Jul 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Thursday- who knows

Friday- working, which is fine because otherwise I wouldn't get paid.

Saturday- me and my sis are going to Cedar Point in Ohio and visiting our friend out there (who happens to be a flaming gay man for those of you who for some reason think I'm a homophobe.)
Cedar Point is fun. Flaming gay friend or not.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87948 Jul 2, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
weekend plans:
- hoping to get early dismissal tomorrow, and if i do, i'll run to get some fabric for a bunch of sewing projects i need to get to. only have 3 baby blankets to finish and one to shop for. someone asked me to make one wiht a fairly specific theme, should e fun to do.
Thursday - laying low, might go for hot dogs or something like taht.
Friday/Saturday - might go see The Heat and hit a mall.
Sunday - drown sorrows that we have to get up the following day.
Somewhere in there we may meet up with SIL and "sell" her a car.
PElly, if you want to meet for coffee or a drink, lemme know... i'll be aroudn!
Sewing reminds me of this...

Sewing The Seeds of Anger
STORE | BELGIUM | AT THE CHECKOUT, CRAZY REQUESTS
(I started sewing a few years ago, and got good enough at it to make most of my clothes myself, which has resulted in a wardrobe consisting of some unusual prints. A regular customer comes up to me.)

Customer:“I love your dress! You’re always wearing such special clothes! Do tell me where you shop!”

Me:“Actually, I made this one myself. Thanks for the compliment!”

Customer:“Really? That’s great! Can you make one for me?”

Me:“Um… I have never made anything for someone else, and besides, I don’t have any of this fabric left, so I’m afraid I can’t do that!”

(The customer suddenly gets angry.)

Customer:“Now that’s just rude! Why would you do that? You’re just making pretty clothes for yourself so you can tell other people they will never have them!”

(The customer slams the money on the counter, and leaves in a huff.)

(Heh my #s are 6969)

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#87949 Jul 2, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Sewing reminds me of this...

Sewing The Seeds of Anger
STORE | BELGIUM | AT THE CHECKOUT, CRAZY REQUESTS
(I started sewing a few years ago, and got good enough at it to make most of my clothes myself, which has resulted in a wardrobe consisting of some unusual prints. A regular customer comes up to me.)

Customer:“I love your dress! You’re always wearing such special clothes! Do tell me where you shop!”

Me:“Actually, I made this one myself. Thanks for the compliment!”

Customer:“Really? That’s great! Can you make one for me?”

Me:“Um… I have never made anything for someone else, and besides, I don’t have any of this fabric left, so I’m afraid I can’t do that!”

(The customer suddenly gets angry.)

Customer:“Now that’s just rude! Why would you do that? You’re just making pretty clothes for yourself so you can tell other people they will never have them!”

(The customer slams the money on the counter, and leaves in a huff.)

(Heh my #s are 6969)
People are f'n weird.

When I was little, that was my mom's go to excuse when I wanted her to buy me a particular clothing item. "We could make that for half the price!" "Derr, okay, Mom."

Never happened. Not once. I cleaned out her stack of sewing stuff when I was in my early 20s. There were clothes I had thrown on the pile for mending when I was 8-10 years old in there.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#87950 Jul 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been going to the gym near there. Fountain Square is a construction zone with a large crane in the middle at the moment- I will make a point of checking it out though.
It would be way cool if they hung some art pieces from the boom of the crane
(I like the beer place on the nose of the square( it is 5 streets coming together with a long needle triangle shaped tip with a fountain in it)- it is byo food. We stop at Whole foods for cheese and crackers and chips and go over there occasionally.)
Yeah, I've been wondering how they're going to pull of an art fair there. They usually have the stage at the end near the fountains (where most of the construction is) so hopefully the vendors will not have to be displaced. I'll let you know...

And we have been wondering about World of Beer; maybe we'll have to make it our next date night.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#87951 Jul 2, 2013
4th/weekend plans:

Tomorrow: after work (a regular-length day for us), going up to A's house (an hour-ish north), her town does food trucks and fireworks on the 3rd. I'll be bringing the dogs and spending the night and hanging out by the pool during the day on the 4th before heading home.

Thursday: my local downtown 4th festivities, including watching the fireworks from the rooftop of my building.

Friday: I'm off work but planning on keeping things pretty low key for the rest of the weekend.

So guess what, guys? A started talking to her crazy ex again a couple of weeks ago so we'll be double dating this holiday. Jasper never met him (I don't remember, did we have a code name? I don't want to call him J, it's too confusing) so I'm interested in what D is going to think. Although I've sort of tainted his objectivity with stories....

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#87952 Jul 2, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Cedar Point is fun. Flaming gay friend or not.
We used to go all the time when we lived there, but now I haven't been there in about 20 years... And I won't be going this weekend, either :( My sister's plan was to go on FRIDAY, not Saturday. Ah well, didn't really want to go on a 4th of July weekend anyway. I'll be going to my buddy's instead, he's having a party on the lake.

I'm off for two weeks this month, thought about going then. Wanna come?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#87953 Jul 2, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
A started talking to her crazy ex again a couple of weeks ago so we'll be double dating this holiday. Jasper never met him (I don't remember, did we have a code name? I don't want to call him J, it's too confusing)
It's too confusing already. Didn't you and Jasper break up? Is there another Jasper? Now you're tossing A and D into the mix. Wasn't there some idiot named edog in there somewhere? I've already lost track of who's who. I'll need a flow chart or a legend key or something.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#87954 Jul 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>It's too confusing already. Didn't you and Jasper break up? Is there another Jasper? Now you're tossing A and D into the mix. Wasn't there some idiot named edog in there somewhere? I've already lost track of who's who. I'll need a flow chart or a legend key or something.
Haha! See what I mean?

No new Jasper. The guy A is dating (again) is also a J though. And D is my current boyfriend.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#87955 Jul 2, 2013
So this story got on my nerves.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/socialit...

Not the story itself, but the overal reaction in the comments. Basically, rich couple senging kid to private school gets scammed by the school in charity acution.

Couple wanted to bid on some finger paint item. Told the school to just bid for them until they won. They figured it would go no more than 3k. Only it went to $50K. And it went to $50k only because a school administrator instructed a teacher to keep bidding it up.

Most of the comments on the board seem to be from a bunch of losers with wealth envy. Saying it was their fault for being so stupid as to allow the school to bid for them and not put a ceiling on their bid. Sure. If ther was some LEGITIMATE bidding going on and it went higher than they wanted to pay, I'd say too bad. But they got scammed by the school. The school they are already paying $39K in tuition to. The school that they bought a bunch of stuff for to donate to the charity auction. The scool that they were trying to donate more to in the form of bidding on a fingerpaint picture. Sounds to me like a nice couple with a lot of money that don't deserve to get taken advantage of any more than a middle class couple getting screwed out of $150. Just surprised me to see how many people acted like they deserved it and it was their fault for not being more protective of their bid. ie: not trusting the school that they were already donating a bunch to.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#87956 Jul 2, 2013
And here's another one that annoyed me.

http://consumerist.com/2013/07/02/att-took-aw...

Dude upgraded his phone and ATT mistakenly changed him from the unlimited data plan to a 3GB plan AND raised his rate. He did not notice for over 3 months. ATT says too bad. We don't make adjustments like that after 90 days.

I think 90 days is more than sufficient. You get 3 phone bills and don't notice its higher than what you were paying? Sorry, but its your fault for not checking your bill. You can't go back to a department store and claim they put the wrong item in your bag and charged you extra for it after 3 months. But that's not the part that annoyed me. This is:

"I have a full-time job and two young children. I don’t have time to check every bill, "

Wow. What a unique situation you are in. It would be silly to expect someone living thru such rare circumstances to actually pay attention to the bills he's paying. Its obviously not your fault.

FLUCK YOU, AZZHOLE!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87957 Jul 2, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Not the story itself, but the overal reaction in the comments. Basically, rich couple senging kid to private school gets scammed by the school in charity acution.
Couple wanted to bid on some finger paint item. Told the school to just bid for them until they won. They figured it would go no more than 3k. Only it went to $50K. And it went to $50k only because a school administrator instructed a teacher to keep bidding it up.
Most of the comments on the board seem to be from a bunch of losers with wealth envy. Saying it was their fault for being so stupid as to allow the school to bid for them and not put a ceiling on their bid. Sure. If ther was some LEGITIMATE bidding going on and it went higher than they wanted to pay, I'd say too bad. But they got scammed by the school. The school they are already paying $39K in tuition to. The school that they bought a bunch of stuff for to donate to the charity auction. The scool that they were trying to donate more to in the form of bidding on a fingerpaint picture. Sounds to me like a nice couple with a lot of money that don't deserve to get taken advantage of any more than a middle class couple getting screwed out of $150. Just surprised me to see how many people acted like they deserved it and it was their fault for not being more protective of their bid. ie: not trusting the school that they were already donating a bunch to.
Using eBay for comparison, they do not permit straw-man or shill bidding by the person who has put the item up for auction. No reputable auction house allows that. My husband collects things and goes to collectible auctions a lot so I am reasonably familiar with this sort of story.
The parents were stupid for not putting a cap on their bid. The school was deceptive by using the administrator as a shill to bid up the amount.

As far as I am concerned, it is a $50,000 lesson, but the school wil no doubt lose a student and will be justifiably bad-mouthed.

Location hidden

#87958 Jul 2, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
ITA and even their willingness to pony up a few grand for a worthless item says they likely are more than generous with this school.$50K? F that.

Location hidden

#87959 Jul 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
The parents were stupid for not putting a cap on their bid. The school was deceptive by using the administrator as a shill to bid up the amount.
As far as I am concerned, it is a $50,000 lesson, but the school wil no doubt lose a student and will be justifiably bad-mouthed.
I agree with all of this.

Location hidden

#87960 Jul 2, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
And here's another one that annoyed me.
http://consumerist.com/2013/07/02/att-took-aw...
Dude upgraded his phone and ATT mistakenly changed him from the unlimited data plan to a 3GB plan AND raised his rate. He did not notice for over 3 months. ATT says too bad. We don't make adjustments like that after 90 days.
I think 90 days is more than sufficient. You get 3 phone bills and don't notice its higher than what you were paying? Sorry, but its your fault for not checking your bill. You can't go back to a department store and claim they put the wrong item in your bag and charged you extra for it after 3 months. But that's not the part that annoyed me. This is:
"I have a full-time job and two young children. I don’t have time to check every bill, "
Wow. What a unique situation you are in. It would be silly to expect someone living thru such rare circumstances to actually pay attention to the bills he's paying. Its obviously not your fault.
FLUCK YOU, AZZHOLE!
ITA again. Stop being so reasonable, mofo!

I have to ask... does your reasonableness -- your ability to voice an opinion different from the knee-jerk reaction of the group, and to get at least one of us going, "Oh, well, okay, I can see that side of things when you put it that way."

Does that ever drive your wife nuts?

When Nick and I agree on anything but music, when one of us looks it up (usually me), I'm almost always wrong with him. Otherwise in factual debates, I'm typically right (based a lot on having a really good memory for what i've read and hear d-- often, anyway). But damn. It gets old, Nick always being right!(and he loves it)

Location hidden

#87961 Jul 2, 2013
Actually, I don't think I've ever called edog a "homophoboe." I don't throw that word around to cover "everybody who doesn't agree with equal rights for gay people." To me, it has a more specific meaning, involving a more extreme reaction (perhaps even physical, but over the top in any case) to gay-related issues/topcis.

Edog's a bigot. But he's no homophobe.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#87962 Jul 2, 2013
We're watching "Tattoo Nightmares" on Spike. I feel slightly more confident about my life decisions now. It's all cover ups of bad tats.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#87963 Jul 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Using eBay for comparison, they do not permit straw-man or shill bidding by the person who has put the item up for auction. No reputable auction house allows that. My husband collects things and goes to collectible auctions a lot so I am reasonably familiar with this sort of story.
Would it have been wise to put a cap on it? Sure. But they were willing to spend a few grand. They had no reason to think the school that they were already being extremely generous with was going to put the screws to them. Like I said, if there was some other legitimate bidder who was trying to buy the same thing, then I would not feel bad for them. But that's not what happened. They were the victims of deliberate fraud.

Location hidden

#87964 Jul 2, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Would it have been wise to put a cap on it? Sure. But they were willing to spend a few grand. They had no reason to think the school that they were already being extremely generous with was going to put the screws to them. Like I said, if there was some other legitimate bidder who was trying to buy the same thing, then I would not feel bad for them. But that's not what happened. They were the victims of deliberate fraud.
ITA. Very shitty. I missed the part about the school rep getting them into the bidding war -- I just thought it was the person bidding on the parent's behalf. Now I see that I was wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Learn to Read 180,702
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr LOL 1,142,189
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Who 48,459
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 3 hr RACE 696
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 hr TRD 68,770
nazi fascist star folks knashing their teeth 6 hr MomFascistsHere 10
Barry knew Goober before he did'nt know Goober 6 hr Rowdy Yates 5
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago