“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#87845 Jun 28, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
She wasn't. The security guard found her passed out on her bed (she didn't answer the phone or the door so he went in).
I'm not sure I like the idea of a security guard letting himself into my apartment.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87846 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Changing the definition of marriage to suit whichever way the wind is currently blowing is my whole POINT. Maybe we should just keep the so-called "rules" of marriage open indefinitely? Who knows, in thirty years, 1% of people wanting to marry their car should get an even shake? Mark my words, polygamous marriages will be next. People wanting to marry animals will soon follow. Go ahead and call me a paranoid nut-case in a tin foil hat. In thirty, maybe even twenty years, you'll see I'm right.
So the rules just freeze when they're at the point YOU agree with them. Right.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#87847 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure I like the idea of a security guard letting himself into my apartment.
Yeah, that skeeved me out a little too. But it's not like he broke in or even used her key, the door was unlocked. And if she was injured, it would be a good thing for her to get found sooner than later.

But yeah, if I woke up and the security guard was standing over me in my bedroom, I'd probably sh1t my pants.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#87848 Jun 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
There has been a lot of discussion on this paywall over at the WaPo, and from others have said, if you get to a WaPo article via google or another internet search, the paywall won't stop you.
And mobile devices also are untouchable, I believe. Ipads and iphones are immune.
I can get the regular column through the seattle paper, but so far I can't find the chat anywhere else. Going to try my phone right now. <shrug> Still not gonna pay. Nope nope...screw them they get enough $$$ from advertising.

Location hidden

#87849 Jun 28, 2013
Weekend plans?

Tonight: Poker.

Saturday: Cable guy is coming (cable box is defective grrr). Then helping friends lay a patio. Then date night with Nick and the kids.

Location hidden

#87850 Jun 28, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that skeeved me out a little too. But it's not like he broke in or even used her key, the door was unlocked. And if she was injured, it would be a good thing for her to get found sooner than later.
But yeah, if I woke up and the security guard was standing over me in my bedroom, I'd probably sh1t my pants.
The last time I got that drunk and passed out, I fell asleep naked on my bed, perpendicular to how I SHOULD have been lying in it, left my contacts in, and left my dog outside (fenced yard in summer) all night. Not what I want someone else to see.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#87851 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Changing the definition of marriage to suit whichever way the wind is currently blowing is my whole POINT. Maybe we should just keep the so-called "rules" of marriage open indefinitely? Who knows, in thirty years, 1% of people wanting to marry their car should get an even shake? Mark my words, polygamous marriages will be next. People wanting to marry animals will soon follow. Go ahead and call me a paranoid nut-case in a tin foil hat. In thirty, maybe even twenty years, you'll see I'm right.
A car is an inanimate object without the capacity to enter into a contract, which, is what marriage is; a contract. If people want polygyny (the more correct word btw) or polyandry (one wife multiple husbands) or any kind of poly arrangement, who the hell cares? So what? How does it affect you? Oh wait, it doesn't. As long as each person enters into it of their free will and agree to some kind of property split beforehand, and it doesn't cost more in government benefits (e.g. social security will be paid in a fixed amount split however many ways) go for it. Whats it to you?

Marriage is not a religious thing. The government is in the business of regulating CIVIL contracts, like marriage. What god wants, at least in THIS country, is irrelevant. Per the Constitution. So, suck it.

Miami, FL

#87852 Jun 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The last time I got that drunk and passed out, I fell asleep naked on my bed, perpendicular to how I SHOULD have been lying in it, left my contacts in, and left my dog outside (fenced yard in summer) all night. Not what I want someone else to see.
Right... but if she had an abusive boyfriend who beat her up and left her for dead, the security guard could've saved her life.

I think for me, the bottom line is not to get so drunk that I leave my stuff - or myself - in the hall.

Miami, FL

#87853 Jun 28, 2013
Convenient segue....

Weekend plans: don't get pass-out-in-the-hall drunk!

No specific plans this weekend, just looking forward to the long holiday weekend next weekend. More about that on Wednesday.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#87854 Jun 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So the rules just freeze when they're at the point YOU agree with them. Right.
You've said yourself that people should not be allowed to marry animals or inanimate objects. Think the rules should freeze where YOU agree with them?

Location hidden

#87855 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You've said yourself that people should not be allowed to marry animals or inanimate objects. Think the rules should freeze where YOU agree with them?
Try making sense and try again.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#87856 Jun 28, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
A car is an inanimate object without the capacity to enter into a contract.
Irrelevant argument. Society could simply change that rule.
Mimi Seattle wrote:
If people want polygyny (the more correct word btw) or polyandry (one wife multiple husbands) or any kind of poly arrangement, who the hell cares? So what? How does it affect you?
Another irrelevant argument. It does not affect you if I marry my sister. By your logic, that should be allowed.
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Marriage is not a religious thing.
"What marriage is" can be debated until hell freezes over, why do you think this is such an issue with pretty much equal amount of people on both sides? You want to define the rules to fit YOUR argument. That's okay, but the other side can't do the same thing?

Hypocrisy.

I'll be here all night. Feel free to come back if you have any valid arguments.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87857 Jun 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
THat's how i looked at them once I knew who the Odd Couple were (Late night reruns of Felix and Oscar).
They're no more a "couple" than a boy/girl combo of muppets on Sesame street. Just friends. THat's all they need to be.
You're too young to have watched the Odd Couple?(shakes head) I'm old.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#87858 Jun 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Try making sense and try again.
I've tried to dumb it down for you all I could. Sorry if you're unable to grasp my meaning, but that's not really my fault.

Okay, enough of this. Weekend plans:

Supposed to go to a friends pool party tonight but now it's raining and I'm still pretty wore out from this week, so I think I'll just chill at home.

Saturday I'm going to my second cousin twice removed's wedding (is that right? My cousin's daughter. My mother's sister's daughter's daughter. Whatever, I was probably just invited cause they're shaking down whoever they can for money.) But I haven't seen a lot of those folks in a couple years, so it'll be good to play some catch up.

Sunday, the usual. Sing at church, volunteer at the soup kitchen, donate toys to the kids at the orphanage, then run a marathon.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#87859 Jun 28, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Done with my class. I'm supposed to go to India to work with our offshore team soon, but that has been one delay after another.
Wow!
Sounds exotic. Be careful....the nation doesn't seem like it used to, eh?
I'm not brave enough to go to another country for too long, lol.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#87860 Jun 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew a couple who was on a cruise. Got drunk. Went back to the cabin to get ready for dinner. Called guest services for an ironing board. Laid down to rest. Nekkid. And passed out. Woke up later in the pitch black darkness of their cabin. And proceeded to trip over the ironing board that had been delivered while they were passed out nekkid.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#87861 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Another irrelevant argument. It does not affect you if I marry my sister. By your logic, that should be allowed.
<quoted text>
I could not care less if you married your sister. I would be as skeeved out as you would be over a gay marriage, but if you and your sister get down like that, it does not affect me in any way. Do whatever you want as long as you are harming no one else.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#87862 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant argument. Society could simply change that rule.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
"What marriage is" can be debated until hell freezes over, why do you think this is such an issue with pretty much equal amount of people on both sides? You want to define the rules to fit YOUR argument. That's okay, but the other side can't do the same thing?
Hypocrisy.
I'll be here all night. Feel free to come back if you have any valid arguments.
Society has a vested interest (look it up) in making sure that incestuous relationships between uber close relatives don't happen because they have the (high) potential to produce offspring who could become a drain on society. We can't keep people from breeding, even those that shouldn't, but there is a logical reason for that rule. Otherwise, yeah if you wanna marry your sister (which you mention a lot btw, is there something there cupcake?) go for it, because yeah, it doesn't affect me and I don't care.

Yes, society is so stupid as a whole that we are going to allow inanimate objects and animals to enter into contracts. Not in this country anyway. We have rules about someone (some ONE...i.e. PERSON) knowing what they are doing when they agree to a contract, hence the reasons why minor persons aren't allowed to do it. Could the rules change? I suppose, but really, it's so unlikely. I could do the math, if I was that interested, which I'm not, but I think the odds are infinitesimally small.

There is no debate what marriage is. It is a contract. Always has been.

Face it sparky I'm (and everyone else) right, you are wrong. You will never make anyone else see your POV (we had a meeting) because everyone else who isn't wearing a tin foil hat doesn't go off the rails on some conspiracy theory tangent about marrying their car.

Here's a novel idea. Worry about stuff that affects you and let everyone else live their lives the way that they, as competent adults, see fit.

None of your business.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#87863 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You a dumbbell.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#87864 Jun 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Try making sense
Good luck with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min iaintproudofmycou... 1,127,070
amy 1-25 28 min PEllen 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 29 min JOEL 70,103
abby 10-25 30 min PEllen 1
Man fatally stabbed, 8 other people shot in Thu... 52 min reality is a crutch 1
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 1 hr Swedenforever 54,525
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr jacques Ottawa 179,459
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 9 hr Mandela 68,666
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]