“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#87863 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You've said yourself that people should not be allowed to marry animals or inanimate objects. Think the rules should freeze where YOU agree with them?
You a dumbbell.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#87864 Jun 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Try making sense
Good luck with that.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#87865 Jun 28, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
they have the (high) potential to produce offspring who could become a drain on society.
Well, gee. We could say this about a LOT of types of people. Should society try to dictate who is allowed offspring?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#87866 Jun 28, 2013
I've gotten into my first FB fight and it's about that Ernie and Bert picture. The guy is being totally obtuse and I'm thankful that I have had some practice with that here.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#87867 Jun 28, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Do whatever you want as long as you are harming no one else.
Would anyone be harmed if I married your pug?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#87868 Jun 28, 2013
squishymama wrote:
I've gotten into my first FB fight and it's about that Ernie and Bert picture. The guy is being totally obtuse and I'm thankful that I have had some practice with that here.
If gays want to use Bert and Ernie to further their cause, we should applaud that decision. They're characters most people recognize. We all loved it when they pictured the Statue of Liberty and Blind Justice embraced in a soul kiss, right? This is no worse. Stop at nothing, I say!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#87869 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. But since its MY pug, I would not consent to such a thing. But feel free to marry your own pug. When you consummate the marriage, will you be in front or behind?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#87870 Jun 28, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You're too young to have watched the Odd Couple?(shakes head) I'm old.
I'm younger than her and I watched it during its original run.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#87871 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, gee. We could say this about a LOT of types of people. Should society try to dictate who is allowed offspring?
Of for fux sake try to get with the program will you? VERY close relatives have a GENETIC thing that cn lead to offspring with problems. It is correct hat lots of people have problems with offspring for numerous reasons and some should not be parents to begin with. HOWEVER, there is a definite possibility (can't remember the % off the top of my head, but it's pretty high) that a brother and sister will produce offspring with major issues, therefore since we know this going in (whereas we don't know it for everyone else) there are laws about a bro/sis "union." Plus, it's icky.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#87872 Jun 28, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Nope. But since its MY pug, I would not consent to such a thing. But feel free to marry your own pug. When you consummate the marriage, will you be in front or behind?
You know he'll be in front right? Or is that bottom? Whatever. <shrug>

I'm more interested in why he is so obsessed with marrying dogs and his sister.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#87873 Jun 28, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
You know he'll be in front right? Or is that bottom? Whatever. <shrug>
I'm more interested in why he is so obsessed with marrying dogs and his sister.
Its all about embracing your limited options.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87874 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Researchers are on the verge of mixing genetic material from three beings for in vitro fertilization to produce one kid. So maybe you can't marry them but you and your horse and your goat can someday procreate.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#87875 Jun 28, 2013
dahgts wrote:
So maybe you can't marry them but you and your horse and your goat can someday procreate.
But we can't procreate until we've been sanctioned by God. So let us marry!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#87876 Jun 28, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Its all about embracing your limited options.
I think the neighbors dog has a thing for me.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87877 Jun 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend plans?
...Date night with Nick and the kids.
This.
I officially declare you middle aged.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#87878 Jun 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
But we can't procreate until we've been sanctioned by God. So let us marry!
God has nothing to do with it. It's a contract. It would need to be sanctioned by the state.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#87879 Jun 28, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Society has a vested interest (look it up) in making sure that incestuous relationships between uber close relatives don't happen
The definition of "uber close" has changed at different times.It wasn't always just blood relatives.

The biggest example is that Henry VIII married what was essentially his SIL (his dead brother Arthur's widow). The fuss over that one resulted in Lutherans, but there was no risk of flawed offspring from marrying a SIL.

There are other examples where 2nd cousins needed dispensation for consanguinity. To my knowledge that was not an issue in MD in 1969(my fiance's bf married his 2nd cousin then), so I don't know when that line was moved.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#87880 Jun 28, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Does anyone know if the Hax chat can be gotten to anywhere else but WaPo?'Cause I'm not paying for it...
This was in the Hax files. I would be interested to hear peoples comments vis a vis the Paula Deen debacle.

To CH

You have said a few times something along the lines of ďWe are not responsible for someone elseís feelings,Ē and when it comes to the extremes of narcissistic or victim-playing behavior, I get this. But if I do or say something legitimately hurtful, prejudiced, etc., to someone else, whether through malicious forethought or benign error, itís hard for me not to feel at least a little responsible for the likely distress that person then feels, and I do my best to make amends. True, some of us have an especially Zen approach to life, and each of us ultimately chooses how we react to what life throws at us, but I think Iím understanding your comment much more coldly and heartlessly than you intended. Could you please help clarify?

Anonymous

Fr CH

Truth is, I think a lot of what I advise and espouse amounts to a system ó an emotional word problem, in a way. Therefore, talking about it involves breaking down very emotional things into transactions, which is inherently cold.

But thatís just in the mechanics; the result is an emotional exchange, which, if handled with respect and fair concern for all involved, tends to be the opposite of cold.

Take the transaction you cite: If you ďdo or say something legitimately hurtful, prejudiced, etc., to someone else,Ē youíre still not responsible for the other personís feelings; itís his or her place alone to decide what to think about and do with your actions. BUT: You are responsible for you ó which means you make a good-faith effort to express your regret and repair or mitigate any damage when you do something you recognize as wrong.

Short version: Your actions can cause pain, of course, but you canít reach in and personally adjust the pain levels. You can only change your actions.

It is a cold word problem, but it also shows the path to a happy result where people care about each other while also recognizing the line between what is under your control (the outcome you intend) and isnít (outcome you get).

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#87881 Jun 28, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Nope. But since its MY pug, I would not consent to such a thing. But feel free to marry your own pug. When you consummate the marriage, will you be in front or behind?
(uh, Tonka, come here a minute....http://wgntv.com/201 3/06/03/man-arrested-for-havin g-sex-with-pit-bull-at-city-po und/)

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#87882 Jun 28, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
(uh, Tonka, come here a minute....http://wgntv.com/201 3/06/03/man-arrested-for-havin g-sex-with-pit-bull-at-city-po und/)
Why are you showing this to me? Dogg's the one who frequently talks about marrying dogs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Santa Claus delayed in Chicago after getting th... 1 hr ChicagOpinion 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Guru 182,028
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr johnplustwomore 1,155,536
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 hr J RULES 71,188
Chicago Pizza Blows 8 hr joey 2
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 8 hr KiMare 51,279
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 9 hr IUEC 7,564
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web