Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Tell her "No they cannot, and that is the disparity in this ruling. It totally ignores hetro single couples"
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody has responded to this woman! I need a snarky response!
So far I've got "Uh, yeah. I'm pretty sure hetero couples who live together also have the option of getting married."

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Woohoo! I can marry my sister!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody has responded to this woman! I need a snarky response!
So far I've got "Uh, yeah. I'm pretty sure hetero couples who live together also have the option of getting married."
As soon as straight couples living together make a publicly recorded,legally binding commitment to each other with responsibilities as well as rights, well sure.

(The kicker is that in IL hetero couples can have a civil union and I have not heard that the difference between marriage and a civil union has been tested yet.. I have no doubt it is coming, though).

Keep in mind that what this decision says is that in states which allow gay marriage, the couples are to be treated as married by the Federal government. The case started with estate taxes, but I see revised requests for social security, tons and tons of amended tax returns - it is times like this that I really miss Andie J btw- and after that my imagination fails me. First though the state has to pass gay marriage. IMHO civil union is not the same and won't get you the Federal benefits.

Red is the house expert: which states allow gay marriage at this point?

FWIW I don't think the CA fight is over. From what the news reports are saying , a Federal District judge ruled it was unconstitutional. Someone appealed. The appeal itself was challenged on the basis that the people who brought it didn't have a legal dog in the fight, they had no "standing". SCOTUS agreed that the appeal was not valid for that reason. Thus what is left is a 1st level Federal judge's order which can be attacked, or re-litigated in another case.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Woohoo! I can marry my dog!
Ah, but marriage is a contract. Would your dog consent to marry you?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
Not in any place I have read about.Anyway,why would she want to?

There was a map in either Huffington Post or Daily Mail or someplace, showing which states restrict marriage. IL as some restrictions. You can marry your first cousin here if she is over 50 and can't get pregnant.

It's not the family Dog I would worry about, it is teh family Cougar.

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Re moving into a bigger place & what to do w/ the space - haven;t gotten beyond teh letter, and im wondering WTF the issue is - why move in to that much space if you don't have a plan? terhe is a difference from 1-2, 2-3, and 1-3 bedrooms, so maybe a 2 BR would have been a better choice?

like i said, i haven't read the responses yet, so maye there are some point in there to consider...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>As soon as straight couples living together make a publicly recorded,legally binding commitment to each other with responsibilities as well as rights, well sure.
(The kicker is that in IL hetero couples can have a civil union and I have not heard that the difference between marriage and a civil union has been tested yet.. I have no doubt it is coming, though).
Keep in mind that what this decision says is that in states which allow gay marriage, the couples are to be treated as married by the Federal government. The case started with estate taxes, but I see revised requests for social security, tons and tons of amended tax returns - it is times like this that I really miss Andie J btw- and after that my imagination fails me. First though the state has to pass gay marriage. IMHO civil union is not the same and won't get you the Federal benefits.
Red is the house expert: which states allow gay marriage at this point?
FWIW I don't think the CA fight is over. From what the news reports are saying , a Federal District judge ruled it was unconstitutional. Someone appealed. The appeal itself was challenged on the basis that the people who brought it didn't have a legal dog in the fight, they had no "standing". SCOTUS agreed that the appeal was not valid for that reason. Thus what is left is a 1st level Federal judge's order which can be attacked, or re-litigated in another case.
12 states either have gay marriage legalized now or will be soon (like MN, it's effective 8/1).

In Minnesota, you are required to file your state income taxes the same way you filed federal, so without this DOMA ruling, a gay couple still couldn't file "jointly/married" in Minnesota because they couldn't file that way at the federal level.

The estate tax angle was huge -- a woman had to pay over a quarter million dollars in estate taxes that she wouldn't have had to pay had the government recognized her marriage of over 40 years.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> Not in any place I have read about.Anyway,why would she want to?
There was a map in either Huffington Post or Daily Mail or someplace, showing which states restrict marriage. IL as some restrictions. You can marry your first cousin here if she is over 50 and can't get pregnant.
It's not the family Dog I would worry about, it is teh family Cougar.
A lot of states have those cousin restrictions. I remember Massachusetts really spells it as to whom you can and can't marry. For example, you can't marry your former step grandparent oryour step grandchild.(So, if grandpa gets divorced from his second wife, you can't marry her when he's done with her.)
dog doo

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Woohoo! I can marry my dog!
Which one of you two will be the b!tch?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Whoever recommended Julia Spencer-Fleming (mystery author), thank you.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Woohoo! I can marry my sex doll!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
ONly if she's an illegal alien!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Thats nothing, just wait till the divorce...
edogxxx wrote:

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
Potentially,a deflating experience for both of you.

BTW, are you out of the country yet?

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Potentially,a deflating experience for both of you.
BTW, are you out of the country yet?
Finally boarded after two more delays! Should be out of the country in a couple hours.

Woohoo! I can marry the Stanly cup!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally boarded after two more delays! Should be out of the country in a couple hours.
Woohoo! I can marry the Stanly cup!
Pfft. Lord Stanley would have his pick of ripped hockey gods to marry.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hock...

Boston turns to p0rn to ease the sting of the loss of the Cup.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
Only if you're from Alabama.

How did Edog get circumcised? Someone kicked his sister in the chin!
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!

It is I!
I am aying hello.
Dog emailed me and said a bunch of you got together.
I finished my last doctoral classes in April and just took my qualifying exams this Monday, Yesterday, and Today. 4 hours each, essays, all from memory!!

Once I get the oral defense in a month or so, I can start on my dissertation proposal.

Hope to pop in more frequently.
Hope all is well!

“reign in blood”

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Screw Canada! I was held up in customs because of a dui arrest 13 YEARS ago! And I didn't have a "work permit!" They almost wouldn't let me in! Had to pay them two hundred dollars!

Good to see you, chunzy baby!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

83 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min shinningelectr0n 1,083,539
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Nostrilis Waxman 175,105
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 min truth-facts 45,885
Salaam Day Peace Day in South Shore Chicago 7 min PATRIOT_Who Loves Jesus 2
Abby 7-30 9 min PEllen 10
Amy 7-30 15 min PEllen 19
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 36 min ohoh 3,846
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info