Comments
86,521 - 86,540 of 97,948 Comments Last updated Sunday

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#87745 Jun 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
My next option is to join people at the steps of city hall in the wee hours to congratulate the newlyweds!:)
Think they want to be treated like some kind of animals on display? Leave them alone.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87746 Jun 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Woohoo! I can marry my dog!
Nope. You can't.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#87747 Jun 26, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://lifehacker.com/what-sho uld-i-do-now-that-ive-bought-a -house-568148603
What Should I Do Now That I've Bought a House?
Danthemanic:"Don't worry about filling the extra space. It'll be full of crap before you know it. Always keep at least one 'nice' guest room. You never know when your parents or friends will be in town and need a place to crash."
JamWow: "Or don't keep the extra room. Perhaps you don't want the visitors!!!!:)"
Haha!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87748 Jun 26, 2013
Somebody on our local newpaper's FB feed said "Does this mean hetero couples who live together get the same?" Oh, the stupid is strong with that one.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87749 Jun 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Think they want to be treated like some kind of animals on display? Leave them alone.
Oh please, they're looking forward to it. Gay-rights groups are organizing it!

Location hidden

#87750 Jun 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your dog an unrelated adult, legally capable of entering into contracts?

Didn't think so.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87751 Jun 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Somebody on our local newpaper's FB feed said "Does this mean hetero couples who live together get the same?" Oh, the stupid is strong with that one.
Nobody has responded to this woman! I need a snarky response!

So far I've got "Uh, yeah. I'm pretty sure hetero couples who live together also have the option of getting married."

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87752 Jun 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
So far I've got "Uh, yeah. I'm pretty sure hetero couples who live together also have the option of getting married."
You should tell her that, yes -- hetero couples can now enter into gay marriages now if they so choose.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#87753 Jun 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The state that could use it the most! ;)
Does anyone know what happens regarding the people who got married (legally) before prop 8? Does it count now? Effective the date they actually got legally married?

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#87754 Jun 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a fluckling idjiot.

Location hidden

#87755 Jun 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if that person wasn't even following the story, and thinks it's about domestic partnership registration?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#87756 Jun 26, 2013
She will never take your paw in marriage.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#87757 Jun 26, 2013
Tell her "No they cannot, and that is the disparity in this ruling. It totally ignores hetro single couples"
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#87758 Jun 26, 2013
Woohoo! I can marry my sister!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87759 Jun 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
As soon as straight couples living together make a publicly recorded,legally binding commitment to each other with responsibilities as well as rights, well sure.

(The kicker is that in IL hetero couples can have a civil union and I have not heard that the difference between marriage and a civil union has been tested yet.. I have no doubt it is coming, though).

Keep in mind that what this decision says is that in states which allow gay marriage, the couples are to be treated as married by the Federal government. The case started with estate taxes, but I see revised requests for social security, tons and tons of amended tax returns - it is times like this that I really miss Andie J btw- and after that my imagination fails me. First though the state has to pass gay marriage. IMHO civil union is not the same and won't get you the Federal benefits.

Red is the house expert: which states allow gay marriage at this point?

FWIW I don't think the CA fight is over. From what the news reports are saying , a Federal District judge ruled it was unconstitutional. Someone appealed. The appeal itself was challenged on the basis that the people who brought it didn't have a legal dog in the fight, they had no "standing". SCOTUS agreed that the appeal was not valid for that reason. Thus what is left is a 1st level Federal judge's order which can be attacked, or re-litigated in another case.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#87760 Jun 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but marriage is a contract. Would your dog consent to marry you?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#87761 Jun 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Woohoo! I can marry my sister!
Not in any place I have read about.Anyway,why would she want to?

There was a map in either Huffington Post or Daily Mail or someplace, showing which states restrict marriage. IL as some restrictions. You can marry your first cousin here if she is over 50 and can't get pregnant.

It's not the family Dog I would worry about, it is teh family Cougar.

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

#87762 Jun 26, 2013
Re moving into a bigger place & what to do w/ the space - haven;t gotten beyond teh letter, and im wondering WTF the issue is - why move in to that much space if you don't have a plan? terhe is a difference from 1-2, 2-3, and 1-3 bedrooms, so maybe a 2 BR would have been a better choice?

like i said, i haven't read the responses yet, so maye there are some point in there to consider...

Location hidden

#87763 Jun 26, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>As soon as straight couples living together make a publicly recorded,legally binding commitment to each other with responsibilities as well as rights, well sure.
(The kicker is that in IL hetero couples can have a civil union and I have not heard that the difference between marriage and a civil union has been tested yet.. I have no doubt it is coming, though).
Keep in mind that what this decision says is that in states which allow gay marriage, the couples are to be treated as married by the Federal government. The case started with estate taxes, but I see revised requests for social security, tons and tons of amended tax returns - it is times like this that I really miss Andie J btw- and after that my imagination fails me. First though the state has to pass gay marriage. IMHO civil union is not the same and won't get you the Federal benefits.
Red is the house expert: which states allow gay marriage at this point?
FWIW I don't think the CA fight is over. From what the news reports are saying , a Federal District judge ruled it was unconstitutional. Someone appealed. The appeal itself was challenged on the basis that the people who brought it didn't have a legal dog in the fight, they had no "standing". SCOTUS agreed that the appeal was not valid for that reason. Thus what is left is a 1st level Federal judge's order which can be attacked, or re-litigated in another case.
12 states either have gay marriage legalized now or will be soon (like MN, it's effective 8/1).

In Minnesota, you are required to file your state income taxes the same way you filed federal, so without this DOMA ruling, a gay couple still couldn't file "jointly/married" in Minnesota because they couldn't file that way at the federal level.

The estate tax angle was huge -- a woman had to pay over a quarter million dollars in estate taxes that she wouldn't have had to pay had the government recognized her marriage of over 40 years.

Location hidden

#87764 Jun 26, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> Not in any place I have read about.Anyway,why would she want to?
There was a map in either Huffington Post or Daily Mail or someplace, showing which states restrict marriage. IL as some restrictions. You can marry your first cousin here if she is over 50 and can't get pregnant.
It's not the family Dog I would worry about, it is teh family Cougar.
A lot of states have those cousin restrictions. I remember Massachusetts really spells it as to whom you can and can't marry. For example, you can't marry your former step grandparent oryour step grandchild.(So, if grandpa gets divorced from his second wife, you can't marry her when he's done with her.)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Frank 1,101,222
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 9 min STEFANO COLONNA 69,069
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 30 min Jonah1 49,460
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 45 min SpaceBlues 46,365
2 teens critically wounded in South Side shooting 1 hr wow 2
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,395
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 177,517
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE