Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

I just bought a box of the usual suspect. I was buying one brand (forget) for awhile, but they ran out, so I stopped. I need to start again for my weekday dinners, gets expensive.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh. I buy boxed wines almost exclusively now! Being single/living alone, it just makes more sense to get it in that packaging.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

I'm so bored at work.

I cleaned out ALL of my bookmarks/links and emailed them to myself at hotmail so I could put them on my computer at home. Then I went through miscellaneous papers and put notes on them like "Waiting on SJS, who is waiting to hear from the architect." "Done with Rick's changes, waiting on Jo and Steve." So if I find another job (yay monster.com !), they won't be wondering wtf to do with stuff.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Is Rush playing in Chicago soon? I am getting pop up ads for a concert.

FWIW I seem to be getting a ton of pop ups, scripts that freeze Topix and other annoying i-net intrusions. Is anyone else?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

I don't, PE, but I am getting very tired of the video/audio ads to the right of this screen -- they play automatically.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

I love science nerds. Crazy letter to the editor today by a total nut job:

We need wind, especially here in Minnesota. The earth's vast oceans produce water vapor due to evaporation, but these clouds of water vapor would remain over the oceans if it wasn't for monsoonal winds that drive the clouds over the continents. Minnesota is near the middle of the continent, so lots of monsoonal wind is required to bring moisture to replenish our many lakes and streams. If it wasn't for the winds many of our lakes would dry up and the level of the Great Lakes would drop.

These winds are our greatest resource. So why aren't we protecting them? The first law of thermodynamics states energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only change forms. When the energy of a moving car is reduced, the moving (kinetic) energy is changed to heat energy by the brakes. In like manner, when wind farms take energy from the wind to produce electrical energy, they weaken the wind. This means more droughts and lower levels for the Great Lakes, etc.

We need to stop weakening our winds before we create the greatest man-made ecological disaster since the Dust Bowl years of the 1930s. We need to stop all wind farms before it is too late.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

squishymama wrote:
I was raised in the school of thought that says no matter what family does, you have to put up with it and "be there for them"...
Yeah, not when it could interfere with the welfare of the two people you're trying to raise. Good on you and the hubby, Squish.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Weird weather, this year....I've never heard of floods in places like Calgary or South Dakota...Ever?....Alway's wanted to go to that Calgary Stampede....

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I don't, PE, but I am getting very tired of the video/audio ads to the right of this screen -- they play automatically.
At work I just mute the volume altogether since we are not supposed t stream audio or video anyway. But I agree with you. A couple years ago there was a financial services ad that did that , not the sports thing. I got so fed up that I looked up their corporate HQ website and wrote a nasty email complaining. I actually got a response saying that they dd not have direct control over where the i-net ads were placed but that they would check with their media people. It stopped from that advertiser not long after. Places like financial services are worried that complaints like that could go viral I guess. Not that I said anything directly, but the implication was there.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Weird weather, this year....I've never heard of floods in places like Calgary or South Dakota...Ever?....Alway's wanted to go to that Calgary Stampede....
I seem to remember that Calgary had some massive brush fires about 15-20 years ago too.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Cant you just plug in a giant fan?
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I love science nerds. Crazy letter to the editor today by a total nut job:
We need wind, especially here in Minnesota. The earth's vast oceans produce water vapor due to evaporation, but these clouds of water vapor would remain over the oceans if it wasn't for monsoonal winds that drive the clouds over the continents. Minnesota is near the middle of the continent, so lots of monsoonal wind is required to bring moisture to replenish our many lakes and streams. If it wasn't for the winds many of our lakes would dry up and the level of the Great Lakes would drop.
These winds are our greatest resource. So why aren't we protecting them? The first law of thermodynamics states energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only change forms. When the energy of a moving car is reduced, the moving (kinetic) energy is changed to heat energy by the brakes. In like manner, when wind farms take energy from the wind to produce electrical energy, they weaken the wind. This means more droughts and lower levels for the Great Lakes, etc.
We need to stop weakening our winds before we create the greatest man-made ecological disaster since the Dust Bowl years of the 1930s. We need to stop all wind farms before it is too late.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Go Hawks!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Hawks win!!!!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Way to go, Blackhawks! We saw the first period at the bar after softball, but missed the rest. What a hell of a way to end the third period!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Des Moines flooded (as did much of central and western Iowa) in 1993. The water plant got breached and we went three weeks with no running water in much of the county. It sucked. But not as much as being without electricity. AT least we could cook, watch TV, etc.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

That game was literally like "Oh, well, there's always Game Seve--oh, cool, we're going to overtime--HOLY SH1T, THEY WON!"

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
That game was literally like "Oh, well, there's always Game Seve--oh, cool, we're going to overtime--HOLY SH1T, THEY WON!"
Exactly! How awesome was that? It was heart-pounding. I did not want ot, but I was hoping we'd have a chance for OT. Then, well, history!

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Totally! Very exciting finish, and I'm so glad I didn't give up and go to bed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I seem to remember that Calgary had some massive brush fires about 15-20 years ago too.
They showed their hockey stadium, flooded to the 8th row...BTW, Incredible win by the Blackhawks, Stanley Cup Champs, 2013...1:16 left 2-1 Bruins....I'm thinking, oh well...game 7 Wednesday....Bammmm....Hawks score two goals in 17 seconds and end it....Incredible.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally! Very exciting finish, and I'm so glad I didn't give up and go to bed.
Me too....but, sadly now is the vast sports wasteland for me.....just baseball....ZZZZZzzzzzz....... .LOL...til NFL camps....Used to alway's take my vacations in July, cause of that....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 86,481 - 86,500 of96,157
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

36 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 32 min wojar 167,697
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 45 min Jack 3,785
Happy Easter Chicago 9 dead 57 min joey 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 65,215
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr mdbuilder 43,043
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr DoDaDoDaDay 47,081
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr John Galt 1,034,754
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance