“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87698 Jun 25, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
She gave up on olivet?
Oh, yes. She did well academically, but didn't make any damn friends. Obviously, it was the school's fault, so she and the fiance are going to another Nazarene school. Why they think that will be any different, I don't know. At least they won't be able to come home every 3rd weekend.

I'm sure her fiance's parents are starting to loooove her. So far, she's gotten him fired from a job and they're going to a school 6 hours farther away from where he was and now they're both living at their house with no jobs. Ha!

Ha! I said. HA!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#87699 Jun 25, 2013
Careful, if things dont work out with him/school....You know where she will end up.

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yes. She did well academically, but didn't make any damn friends. Obviously, it was the school's fault, so she and the fiance are going to another Nazarene school. Why they think that will be any different, I don't know. At least they won't be able to come home every 3rd weekend.
I'm sure her fiance's parents are starting to loooove her. So far, she's gotten him fired from a job and they're going to a school 6 hours farther away from where he was and now they're both living at their house with no jobs. Ha!
Ha! I said. HA!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#87700 Jun 25, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Des Moines flooded (as did much of central and western Iowa) in 1993. The water plant got breached and we went three weeks with no running water in much of the county. It sucked. But not as much as being without electricity. AT least we could cook, watch TV, etc.
I've never forgotten, losing power during a hurricane, years ago...4 days without AC...in 94 degrees, with the sewer backed up......then, how elated we were when it came back on...lol...BTW, food stayed frozen in chest freezer for four days....amazing....

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87701 Jun 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
Careful, if things dont work out with him/school....You know where she will end up.
<quoted text>
Nope. We helped her through high school. She comes back home, she has a couple months to find an apartment or she can move back in with the 'rents. I'm not doing the full time fake parent thing anymore.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#87702 Jun 25, 2013
4 days! That aint nuthin.
Wilma was like 20 days without power. But of course I was fully prepared, so never missed a beat.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I've never forgotten, losing power during a hurricane, years ago...4 days without AC...in 94 degrees, with the sewer backed up......then, how elated we were when it came back on...lol...BTW, food stayed frozen in chest freezer for four days....amazing....

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87703 Jun 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yes. She did well academically, but didn't make any damn friends. Obviously, it was the school's fault, so she and the fiance are going to another Nazarene school. Why they think that will be any different, I don't know. At least they won't be able to come home every 3rd weekend.
I'm sure her fiance's parents are starting to loooove her. So far, she's gotten him fired from a job and they're going to a school 6 hours farther away from where he was and now they're both living at their house with no jobs. Ha!
Ha! I said. HA!
You're cracking me up today, Matilda! I'm glad things are going your way.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87704 Jun 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
I'm sure her fiance's parents are starting to loooove her. So far, she's gotten him fired from a job and they're going to a school 6 hours farther away from where he was and now they're both living at their house with no jobs. Ha!
Ha! I said. HA!
Ha! indeed!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87705 Jun 25, 2013
Oh, AND my sister got full time at her *real* job. Works in a psych ward and she loves it. So, she's quitting her mall job and will have half her weekends free so I can see her more often.

Plus, the missionary group she was working with caught wind of how much school debt she has and told her she needs to work that down a lot before they'd even consider her. So, I'm hoping she figures out that Japan doesn't need any non-Japanese-speaking missionaries and stays state-side.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#87706 Jun 25, 2013

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87707 Jun 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Oh, AND my sister got full time at her *real* job. Works in a psych ward and she loves it. So, she's quitting her mall job and will have half her weekends free so I can see her more often.
Plus, the missionary group she was working with caught wind of how much school debt she has and told her she needs to work that down a lot before they'd even consider her. So, I'm hoping she figures out that Japan doesn't need any non-Japanese-speaking missionaries and stays state-side.
THat's actually pretty wonderful of that group, to take such things into consideration (also, I do have to wonder whether they were looking for a way to tell her "Thanks but no thanks").

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87708 Jun 25, 2013
http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/3011272-Choc...

My friend: "I would eat half the ingredients before they ever got into the cake!"

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87709 Jun 25, 2013
squishymama wrote:
That's great. That would be fun to do something while Google is filming their maps.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87710 Jun 25, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
http://www.tastebook.com/recip es/3011272-Chocolate-Wasted-Ca ke
My friend: "I would eat half the ingredients before they ever got into the cake!"
Now I'm craving chocolate cake. That looks delicious.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87711 Jun 25, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
THat's actually pretty wonderful of that group, to take such things into consideration (also, I do have to wonder whether they were looking for a way to tell her "Thanks but no thanks").
Well, as a missionary, you're basically relying on churches and people for money. So they want you to have everything tied up for the most part at home. I think it's pretty standard with most of the reputable organizations.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#87712 Jun 25, 2013
Supposed to be in Canada by now but after two delays, the flight was outright cancelled. Sat at O'Hare for five dam hours. Thanks for wasting my flipping time, United! Now to try it all over again tomorrow.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87713 Jun 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, as a missionary, you're basically relying on churches and people for money. So they want you to have everything tied up for the most part at home. I think it's pretty standard with most of the reputable organizations.
"reputable" being the key word. My friend's family is full of religious people (and lots of marriages at 18/19, then pregnancy, then divorce by 21). Some are missionaries who live very high on the hog (somehow, someone donates their million dollar homes to these people to live in when they're not off doing their missionary work) but seem to do missionary work less than half the year.

My friend doesn't know how these relatives earn any money.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#87714 Jun 25, 2013
Hello regs!

I celebrated my birthday by pretending to be 21 and staying out super late on Friday night/Saturday morning and Saturday night/Sunday morning. Sunday - my actual birthday - and yesterday (I took a vac day from work) were pretty chill and relaxing.

Now the countdown to football season starts....
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#87715 Jun 25, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Hello regs!
I celebrated my birthday by pretending to be 21 and staying out super late on Friday night/Saturday morning and Saturday night/Sunday morning. Sunday - my actual birthday - and yesterday (I took a vac day from work) were pretty chill and relaxing.
Now the countdown to football season starts....
Happy belated! I hope you had fun!!!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#87716 Jun 25, 2013
Well, you may as well act it, you certainly look it.
j_m_w wrote:
Hello regs!
I celebrated my birthday by pretending to be 21 and staying out super late on Friday night/Saturday morning and Saturday night/Sunday morning. Sunday - my actual birthday - and yesterday (I took a vac day from work) were pretty chill and relaxing.
Now the countdown to football season starts....

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87717 Jun 25, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
"reputable" being the key word. My friend's family is full of religious people (and lots of marriages at 18/19, then pregnancy, then divorce by 21). Some are missionaries who live very high on the hog (somehow, someone donates their million dollar homes to these people to live in when they're not off doing their missionary work) but seem to do missionary work less than half the year.
My friend doesn't know how these relatives earn any money.
You don't, really, as far as I can tell. Even with the reputable organizations, I don't see how you can retire when you've made that your career. Especially since she's trying to live in the most expensive city in the world.

I don't think my sister grasps that I've been socking away money in to a 401K since I was 19 and our dad didn't just *decide* to retire when he did. We ate generic Fruit Loops and wore garage sale clothes for a reason growing up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min John Galt 1,140,834
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Guru 180,539
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 min Cali Girl 2014 51,230
Pierre de Coubertin And Emancipation Proclamation (Jun '12) 16 min fukuda 3
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 34 min J RULES 70,551
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Who 48,351
This guy is GOD to Piano Legs & the Malignant M... 3 hr YUPHesThe Devil 11
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:23 am PST

NBC Sports11:23AM
Soldier Field: Problem with clocks has been rectified
NBC Sports 1:11 PM
Spokesman says Soldier Field game clocks are fixed - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 2:04 PM
Can the Texans Steal the AFC South?
NBC Sports 2:10 PM
For Cutler, McCown was steadying force - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 5:01 PM
Will Mark Ingram's heavy workload stay level?