Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#87681 Jun 24, 2013
Weird weather, this year....I've never heard of floods in places like Calgary or South Dakota...Ever?....Alway's wanted to go to that Calgary Stampede....

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87682 Jun 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I don't, PE, but I am getting very tired of the video/audio ads to the right of this screen -- they play automatically.
At work I just mute the volume altogether since we are not supposed t stream audio or video anyway. But I agree with you. A couple years ago there was a financial services ad that did that , not the sports thing. I got so fed up that I looked up their corporate HQ website and wrote a nasty email complaining. I actually got a response saying that they dd not have direct control over where the i-net ads were placed but that they would check with their media people. It stopped from that advertiser not long after. Places like financial services are worried that complaints like that could go viral I guess. Not that I said anything directly, but the implication was there.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87683 Jun 24, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Weird weather, this year....I've never heard of floods in places like Calgary or South Dakota...Ever?....Alway's wanted to go to that Calgary Stampede....
I seem to remember that Calgary had some massive brush fires about 15-20 years ago too.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#87684 Jun 24, 2013
Cant you just plug in a giant fan?
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I love science nerds. Crazy letter to the editor today by a total nut job:
We need wind, especially here in Minnesota. The earth's vast oceans produce water vapor due to evaporation, but these clouds of water vapor would remain over the oceans if it wasn't for monsoonal winds that drive the clouds over the continents. Minnesota is near the middle of the continent, so lots of monsoonal wind is required to bring moisture to replenish our many lakes and streams. If it wasn't for the winds many of our lakes would dry up and the level of the Great Lakes would drop.
These winds are our greatest resource. So why aren't we protecting them? The first law of thermodynamics states energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only change forms. When the energy of a moving car is reduced, the moving (kinetic) energy is changed to heat energy by the brakes. In like manner, when wind farms take energy from the wind to produce electrical energy, they weaken the wind. This means more droughts and lower levels for the Great Lakes, etc.
We need to stop weakening our winds before we create the greatest man-made ecological disaster since the Dust Bowl years of the 1930s. We need to stop all wind farms before it is too late.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87685 Jun 24, 2013
Go Hawks!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87686 Jun 24, 2013
Hawks win!!!!!!!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87687 Jun 25, 2013
Way to go, Blackhawks! We saw the first period at the bar after softball, but missed the rest. What a hell of a way to end the third period!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87688 Jun 25, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Des Moines flooded (as did much of central and western Iowa) in 1993. The water plant got breached and we went three weeks with no running water in much of the county. It sucked. But not as much as being without electricity. AT least we could cook, watch TV, etc.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87689 Jun 25, 2013

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#87690 Jun 25, 2013
That game was literally like "Oh, well, there's always Game Seve--oh, cool, we're going to overtime--HOLY SH1T, THEY WON!"

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87691 Jun 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
That game was literally like "Oh, well, there's always Game Seve--oh, cool, we're going to overtime--HOLY SH1T, THEY WON!"
Exactly! How awesome was that? It was heart-pounding. I did not want ot, but I was hoping we'd have a chance for OT. Then, well, history!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#87692 Jun 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Totally! Very exciting finish, and I'm so glad I didn't give up and go to bed.

Location hidden

#87693 Jun 25, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I seem to remember that Calgary had some massive brush fires about 15-20 years ago too.
They showed their hockey stadium, flooded to the 8th row...BTW, Incredible win by the Blackhawks, Stanley Cup Champs, 2013...1:16 left 2-1 Bruins....I'm thinking, oh well...game 7 Wednesday....Bammmm....Hawks score two goals in 17 seconds and end it....Incredible.....

Location hidden

#87694 Jun 25, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally! Very exciting finish, and I'm so glad I didn't give up and go to bed.
Me too....but, sadly now is the vast sports wasteland for me.....just baseball....ZZZZZzzzzzz....... .LOL...til NFL camps....Used to alway's take my vacations in July, cause of that....

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#87695 Jun 25, 2013
Woot! Everything's coming up Matilda this week. B-hawks win the cup, I thought I had an 8 hour class tomorrow and I don't, and my SIL is going to stay up at her fiance's parent's house for the summer. I guess they're going to attempt to get jobs up there. I'll take it. Oh, and J just paid the reservation fee or whatever for her to go to school in Tennessee this fall. Holla.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#87696 Jun 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Woot! Everything's coming up Matilda this week. B-hawks win the cup, I thought I had an 8 hour class tomorrow and I don't, and my SIL is going to stay up at her fiance's parent's house for the summer. I guess they're going to attempt to get jobs up there. I'll take it. Oh, and J just paid the reservation fee or whatever for her to go to school in Tennessee this fall. Holla.
She gave up on olivet?
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#87697 Jun 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
WOO HOO!!! It is your day!!! Play the lotto!!!

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#87698 Jun 25, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
She gave up on olivet?
Oh, yes. She did well academically, but didn't make any damn friends. Obviously, it was the school's fault, so she and the fiance are going to another Nazarene school. Why they think that will be any different, I don't know. At least they won't be able to come home every 3rd weekend.

I'm sure her fiance's parents are starting to loooove her. So far, she's gotten him fired from a job and they're going to a school 6 hours farther away from where he was and now they're both living at their house with no jobs. Ha!

Ha! I said. HA!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#87699 Jun 25, 2013
Careful, if things dont work out with him/school....You know where she will end up.

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yes. She did well academically, but didn't make any damn friends. Obviously, it was the school's fault, so she and the fiance are going to another Nazarene school. Why they think that will be any different, I don't know. At least they won't be able to come home every 3rd weekend.
I'm sure her fiance's parents are starting to loooove her. So far, she's gotten him fired from a job and they're going to a school 6 hours farther away from where he was and now they're both living at their house with no jobs. Ha!
Ha! I said. HA!

Location hidden

#87700 Jun 25, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Des Moines flooded (as did much of central and western Iowa) in 1993. The water plant got breached and we went three weeks with no running water in much of the county. It sucked. But not as much as being without electricity. AT least we could cook, watch TV, etc.
I've never forgotten, losing power during a hurricane, years ago...4 days without AC...in 94 degrees, with the sewer backed up......then, how elated we were when it came back on...lol...BTW, food stayed frozen in chest freezer for four days....amazing....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Grey Ghost 1,144,236
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Yumpin Yimminy 68,798
Pierre de Coubertin And Emancipation Proclamation (Jun '12) 1 hr fukuda 4
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr wojar 180,954
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 hr JOEL 70,627
My true thoughts about this song. 4 hr WhyNotLookAtHer 3
Are you sick of Topix polls or do you vote? 4 hr TheyfuckUsAll 5
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance