Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#87661 Jun 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
(I'm not making this up -- I regularly read articles on wine and have read about this cork issue several times.)
My experience has been, like many others....that only the least expensive wines come with screw-type tops....Annie Greensprings, Thunderbird, etc.....the french and californian vintners seem to understand the corks are a facet to the aging ritual......

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87662 Jun 24, 2013
It's going to be 88 today. Ugh. Softball at 6. I may melt. Nick and I spent way too much $$$ on dining out this weekend, so we're going to skip the post-game drinks/meal and head home with some cheaper takeout and then shower and watch TV.

We haven't had a hot day for softball yet, so we've been spoiled.

Lots of people still without power today. 400,000-something people lost power Thursday/Friday, and then on Saturday, I think fewer than half of those had power back. That would suck, throwing away food from the fridge and freezer, not having AC, etc.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#87663 Jun 24, 2013
Just more of your typical liberal American bashing. If you hate this countries wine bottles so much, why not just buy that fancy european screw top stuff and leave the rest of us alone!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect. I've read articles on how France and Italy have led the way in getting rid of corks and how Americans still cling to it (corks) out of misplaced/miseducated wine snobbery.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87664 Jun 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect. I've read articles on how France and Italy have led the way in getting rid of corks and how Americans still cling to it (corks) out of misplaced/miseducated wine snobbery.
I wasn't even thinking about American wines. Actually, Europe was slower to go to screw tops then Chilean, New Zealand, Australian wines, which produce great wines. These countries led the way. Corks are continuing for wines that should be aged 10 or 20 years. They breathe. Personally, I don't care how it's stopped, if it tastes good to me, that's it.

France is still po'd cause a California winery beat their Chardonnays in 1976.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#87665 Jun 24, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>My experience has been, like many others....that only the least expensive wines come with screw-type tops....Annie Greensprings, Thunderbird, etc.....the french and californian vintners seem to understand the corks are a facet to the aging ritual......
Not true at all. Go to a good wine store and see. Cork is preferred for red because of the aging process. Whites don't matter. And all three methods, cork, synthetic or aluminum caps don't matter if the wine should be consumed in a year or two.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#87666 Jun 24, 2013
And to accompany the fine wines....Twinkies are coming back!!

Location hidden

#87667 Jun 24, 2013
dahgts wrote:
And to accompany the fine wines....Twinkies are coming back!!
I usually prefer my twinkies with Johnny Walker Red Scotch and ice.....lol.....gives them that smokey twang.....

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87668 Jun 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure some still get corks. Do you read about wine? They switched from corks to screw tops years ago.
My husband gets Wine Spectator. I occasionally look through it. More frequently I browse the wine stores, and drink the stuff. My experience is in line with Dahgt's. Better white wine is more likely to have a screw top than red. Such expertise as I have is confined to CA wines. I acquired the Grand Cru's in a charity auction.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#87669 Jun 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
Just more of your typical liberal American bashing. If you hate this countries wine bottles so much, why not just buy that fancy european screw top stuff and leave the rest of us alone!
<quoted text>
Dam Americans and their snobbery regarding wine.

Location hidden

#87670 Jun 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh. I buy boxed wines almost exclusively now! Being single/living alone, it just makes more sense to get it in that packaging.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87671 Jun 24, 2013
Some of you probably saw this already but I thought it was pretty funny. For all the great dad's out there --

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#87672 Jun 24, 2013
Toj wrote:
Some of you probably saw this already but I thought it was pretty funny. For all the great dad's out there --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =DOKuSQIJlogXX
Awww

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#87673 Jun 24, 2013
I had occasion to briefly explain the situation with my step-sisters to a neighbor couple over the weekend (it was germane to the conversation - I was not trying to gossip) and when I got to the point where I explained that until the "bride" come clean and tells us all the truth, we would not be attending functions where she is, the husband said "good man, you keep that man around" which I thought was funny, because that is the same response I got from several of you Regs.

I was raised in the school of thought that says no matter what family does, you have to put up with it and "be there for them", and it is so refreshing to hear from others that this is not a universal feeling and that I can just tell her to f*ck off. So thanks, Regs, for your input - it has been helpful.

And on a side note, I could totally have a crush on this neighbor husband, if I did that kind of thing. But I don't, so I just enjoy his company.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#87674 Jun 24, 2013
I just bought a box of the usual suspect. I was buying one brand (forget) for awhile, but they ran out, so I stopped. I need to start again for my weekday dinners, gets expensive.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh. I buy boxed wines almost exclusively now! Being single/living alone, it just makes more sense to get it in that packaging.

Location hidden

#87675 Jun 24, 2013
I'm so bored at work.

I cleaned out ALL of my bookmarks/links and emailed them to myself at hotmail so I could put them on my computer at home. Then I went through miscellaneous papers and put notes on them like "Waiting on SJS, who is waiting to hear from the architect." "Done with Rick's changes, waiting on Jo and Steve." So if I find another job (yay monster.com !), they won't be wondering wtf to do with stuff.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#87676 Jun 24, 2013
Is Rush playing in Chicago soon? I am getting pop up ads for a concert.

FWIW I seem to be getting a ton of pop ups, scripts that freeze Topix and other annoying i-net intrusions. Is anyone else?

Location hidden

#87677 Jun 24, 2013
I don't, PE, but I am getting very tired of the video/audio ads to the right of this screen -- they play automatically.

Location hidden

#87678 Jun 24, 2013
I love science nerds. Crazy letter to the editor today by a total nut job:

We need wind, especially here in Minnesota. The earth's vast oceans produce water vapor due to evaporation, but these clouds of water vapor would remain over the oceans if it wasn't for monsoonal winds that drive the clouds over the continents. Minnesota is near the middle of the continent, so lots of monsoonal wind is required to bring moisture to replenish our many lakes and streams. If it wasn't for the winds many of our lakes would dry up and the level of the Great Lakes would drop.

These winds are our greatest resource. So why aren't we protecting them? The first law of thermodynamics states energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only change forms. When the energy of a moving car is reduced, the moving (kinetic) energy is changed to heat energy by the brakes. In like manner, when wind farms take energy from the wind to produce electrical energy, they weaken the wind. This means more droughts and lower levels for the Great Lakes, etc.

We need to stop weakening our winds before we create the greatest man-made ecological disaster since the Dust Bowl years of the 1930s. We need to stop all wind farms before it is too late.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87680 Jun 24, 2013
squishymama wrote:
I was raised in the school of thought that says no matter what family does, you have to put up with it and "be there for them"...
Yeah, not when it could interfere with the welfare of the two people you're trying to raise. Good on you and the hubby, Squish.

Location hidden

#87681 Jun 24, 2013
Weird weather, this year....I've never heard of floods in places like Calgary or South Dakota...Ever?....Alway's wanted to go to that Calgary Stampede....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
last post wins! (Apr '13) 14 min L Morales 409
Chicago police stop black motorists more, ACLU ... 16 min Passing thru 5
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 23 min RUSH10ME 1,156,186
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min wojar 182,147
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 26 min Patriot AKA Bozo 49,352
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 45 min Frijoles 71,265
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Jonah1 51,295
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST