Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87675 Jun 24, 2013
I'm so bored at work.

I cleaned out ALL of my bookmarks/links and emailed them to myself at hotmail so I could put them on my computer at home. Then I went through miscellaneous papers and put notes on them like "Waiting on SJS, who is waiting to hear from the architect." "Done with Rick's changes, waiting on Jo and Steve." So if I find another job (yay monster.com !), they won't be wondering wtf to do with stuff.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87676 Jun 24, 2013
Is Rush playing in Chicago soon? I am getting pop up ads for a concert.

FWIW I seem to be getting a ton of pop ups, scripts that freeze Topix and other annoying i-net intrusions. Is anyone else?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87677 Jun 24, 2013
I don't, PE, but I am getting very tired of the video/audio ads to the right of this screen -- they play automatically.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87678 Jun 24, 2013
I love science nerds. Crazy letter to the editor today by a total nut job:

We need wind, especially here in Minnesota. The earth's vast oceans produce water vapor due to evaporation, but these clouds of water vapor would remain over the oceans if it wasn't for monsoonal winds that drive the clouds over the continents. Minnesota is near the middle of the continent, so lots of monsoonal wind is required to bring moisture to replenish our many lakes and streams. If it wasn't for the winds many of our lakes would dry up and the level of the Great Lakes would drop.

These winds are our greatest resource. So why aren't we protecting them? The first law of thermodynamics states energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only change forms. When the energy of a moving car is reduced, the moving (kinetic) energy is changed to heat energy by the brakes. In like manner, when wind farms take energy from the wind to produce electrical energy, they weaken the wind. This means more droughts and lower levels for the Great Lakes, etc.

We need to stop weakening our winds before we create the greatest man-made ecological disaster since the Dust Bowl years of the 1930s. We need to stop all wind farms before it is too late.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87680 Jun 24, 2013
squishymama wrote:
I was raised in the school of thought that says no matter what family does, you have to put up with it and "be there for them"...
Yeah, not when it could interfere with the welfare of the two people you're trying to raise. Good on you and the hubby, Squish.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#87681 Jun 24, 2013
Weird weather, this year....I've never heard of floods in places like Calgary or South Dakota...Ever?....Alway's wanted to go to that Calgary Stampede....

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87682 Jun 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I don't, PE, but I am getting very tired of the video/audio ads to the right of this screen -- they play automatically.
At work I just mute the volume altogether since we are not supposed t stream audio or video anyway. But I agree with you. A couple years ago there was a financial services ad that did that , not the sports thing. I got so fed up that I looked up their corporate HQ website and wrote a nasty email complaining. I actually got a response saying that they dd not have direct control over where the i-net ads were placed but that they would check with their media people. It stopped from that advertiser not long after. Places like financial services are worried that complaints like that could go viral I guess. Not that I said anything directly, but the implication was there.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87683 Jun 24, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Weird weather, this year....I've never heard of floods in places like Calgary or South Dakota...Ever?....Alway's wanted to go to that Calgary Stampede....
I seem to remember that Calgary had some massive brush fires about 15-20 years ago too.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#87684 Jun 24, 2013
Cant you just plug in a giant fan?
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I love science nerds. Crazy letter to the editor today by a total nut job:
We need wind, especially here in Minnesota. The earth's vast oceans produce water vapor due to evaporation, but these clouds of water vapor would remain over the oceans if it wasn't for monsoonal winds that drive the clouds over the continents. Minnesota is near the middle of the continent, so lots of monsoonal wind is required to bring moisture to replenish our many lakes and streams. If it wasn't for the winds many of our lakes would dry up and the level of the Great Lakes would drop.
These winds are our greatest resource. So why aren't we protecting them? The first law of thermodynamics states energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only change forms. When the energy of a moving car is reduced, the moving (kinetic) energy is changed to heat energy by the brakes. In like manner, when wind farms take energy from the wind to produce electrical energy, they weaken the wind. This means more droughts and lower levels for the Great Lakes, etc.
We need to stop weakening our winds before we create the greatest man-made ecological disaster since the Dust Bowl years of the 1930s. We need to stop all wind farms before it is too late.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87685 Jun 24, 2013
Go Hawks!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87686 Jun 24, 2013
Hawks win!!!!!!!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87687 Jun 25, 2013
Way to go, Blackhawks! We saw the first period at the bar after softball, but missed the rest. What a hell of a way to end the third period!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87688 Jun 25, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Weird weather, this year....I've never heard of floods in places like Calgary or South Dakota...Ever?....Alway's wanted to go to that Calgary Stampede....
Des Moines flooded (as did much of central and western Iowa) in 1993. The water plant got breached and we went three weeks with no running water in much of the county. It sucked. But not as much as being without electricity. AT least we could cook, watch TV, etc.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87689 Jun 25, 2013

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87690 Jun 25, 2013
That game was literally like "Oh, well, there's always Game Seve--oh, cool, we're going to overtime--HOLY SH1T, THEY WON!"

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87691 Jun 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
That game was literally like "Oh, well, there's always Game Seve--oh, cool, we're going to overtime--HOLY SH1T, THEY WON!"
Exactly! How awesome was that? It was heart-pounding. I did not want ot, but I was hoping we'd have a chance for OT. Then, well, history!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#87692 Jun 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
That game was literally like "Oh, well, there's always Game Seve--oh, cool, we're going to overtime--HOLY SH1T, THEY WON!"
Totally! Very exciting finish, and I'm so glad I didn't give up and go to bed.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#87693 Jun 25, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I seem to remember that Calgary had some massive brush fires about 15-20 years ago too.
They showed their hockey stadium, flooded to the 8th row...BTW, Incredible win by the Blackhawks, Stanley Cup Champs, 2013...1:16 left 2-1 Bruins....I'm thinking, oh well...game 7 Wednesday....Bammmm....Hawks score two goals in 17 seconds and end it....Incredible.....

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#87694 Jun 25, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally! Very exciting finish, and I'm so glad I didn't give up and go to bed.
Me too....but, sadly now is the vast sports wasteland for me.....just baseball....ZZZZZzzzzzz....... .LOL...til NFL camps....Used to alway's take my vacations in July, cause of that....

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87695 Jun 25, 2013
Woot! Everything's coming up Matilda this week. B-hawks win the cup, I thought I had an 8 hour class tomorrow and I don't, and my SIL is going to stay up at her fiance's parent's house for the summer. I guess they're going to attempt to get jobs up there. I'll take it. Oh, and J just paid the reservation fee or whatever for her to go to school in Tennessee this fall. Holla.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min Dr Guru 196,922
Candi wright. Homewrecker 5 min Enough1908 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min RoxLo 1,274,947
Hillary fires up crowd in Iowa. 3 hr lakeche 4
abby 8-28=15 3 hr Julie 8
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr Doug77 6,402
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 hr litesong 54,496
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages