Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

We liked the quirky gifts. And I think most were between $20 and $50.

My sister made some comment off the cuff once about needing to get married to make money in gifts. I quickly informed her that it's not even close to a money-making venture. Noooot even close.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing it is the opposite of a stag party?
Thanks for that. I was wondering what that was also.

Could it be that the brides were older and pretty much had a home and probably didn't need household stuff so he thought the basket would be something different? Altho, he could have put something more gourmet in there instead of that candy. Wine and pate, can't remember all the items other then candy. The "no thank you" message was still rude. And to lie about the gluton? They weren't that smart anyhow to not remember about eating the pasta.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

dahgts wrote:
Altho, he could have put something more gourmet in there instead of that candy.
" I gave them a wicker box with a hinged lid, filled with food items, most of them PC Black Label, including: tri-color pasta, salsas, Balsamic vinegar and Olive, Gourmet croutons, Panko Breading, Pesto, some baking ingredients, Biscuits from Godiva and a few 'Fun' items like Marshmallow Fluff, Sour Patch Kids and Butterscotch sauce. "

Sounds like most of it was gourmet and bitchy bride chose to only focus on the candy items he tossed in.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
" I gave them a wicker box with a hinged lid, filled with food items, most of them PC Black Label, including: tri-color pasta, salsas, Balsamic vinegar and Olive, Gourmet croutons, Panko Breading, Pesto, some baking ingredients, Biscuits from Godiva and a few 'Fun' items like Marshmallow Fluff, Sour Patch Kids and Butterscotch sauce. "
Sounds like most of it was gourmet and bitchy bride chose to only focus on the candy items he tossed in.
S/B top of the line cheese, pate and a great wine. I tend to think even without the candy they would have been bitchin'

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

dahgts wrote:
I tend to think even without the candy they would have been bitchin'
I agree
dahgts wrote:
S/B top of the line cheese, pate and a great wine.
I know nothing of this brand, but it's the Black Label. Sounds to me like they consider it top of the line.

BTW, it always puzzles me that people just assume wine is such a great gift. Unless you KNOW that the recipient is a wine drinker, its just as much a stab in the dark as tri-color pasta. I would appreciate the candy more than any bottle of wine and would not be able to tell the difference between a $2 bottle with a screw cap and a $500 bottle that's been in the cellar for decades.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
We liked the quirky gifts. And I think most were between $20 and $50.
My sister made some comment off the cuff once about needing to get married to make money in gifts. I quickly informed her that it's not even close to a money-making venture. Noooot even close.
Exactly! You're not going to break even unless you throw a very simple afternoon champagne/punch/cake reception, and even then, you may not. And most people want something bigger thant hat, or more of a party.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Speaking of etiquette:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/entertaining-...

Entertaining Etiquette: When Are Evites Acceptable?

"Guess I'm "old school." If you're sponsoring any kind of function, the correct invitation is a paper invitation. If I'm not "worth" an actual, physical invitation, then don't invite me."

Well, shee-it! That was an easy decision. Thanks for the guidance.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

My plan would be to take immediate family and closest (as in, 1-4 friends each) out for dinner after witnessing a small ceremony, and even with 20 people, I can see that costing $1500 at a *nice* place. More, even. I think I'd rather do that than spend the same amount on something bigger but less nice.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
S/B top of the line cheese, pate and a great wine. I tend to think even without the candy they would have been bitchin'
Wine is a fall-back gift for people I don't know well. if I knew you liked whiskey, I'd get you a really good whiskey, or three small bottles of three different kinds to try.

I like to tailor gifts of alcohol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Speaking of etiquette:
"Guess I'm "old school." If you're sponsoring any kind of function, the correct invitation is a paper invitation. If I'm not "worth" an actual, physical invitation, then don't invite me."
I LOVE evites. I open my email four days before the event, find my evite email (easily searched for), click on it, get the reminder of the time and location, see who else is going. Nick's aunt uses them for holiday family gatherings. It beats a bunch of emails going back and forth.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> D and I have been married for 29+ years at this point. One of my old BF's wh was invited to teh wedding sent a really nice wicker basket with picnic equipment in it- plastic plates, plastic wine glasses, 2 napkins etc.We have use it for years- There was a bottle of wine in it as well.
Dickie and I got one too. We've never used it for an actual picnic but it holds our dishes/utensils/napkins when we go camping. Very handy.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree
<quoted text> I know nothing of this brand, but it's the Black Label. Sounds to me like they consider it top of the line.
BTW, it always puzzles me that people just assume wine is such a great gift. Unless you KNOW that the recipient is a wine drinker, its just as much a stab in the dark as tri-color pasta. I would appreciate the candy more than any bottle of wine and would not be able to tell the difference between a $2 bottle with a screw cap and a $500 bottle that's been in the cellar for decades.
Ok, a medium price wine . They ate pasta, they had to drink wine. It's the law.:)

Good wines are selling with screw on caps now. Those old wine snobs are spinning in their graves.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I wanted to make a key lime pie or key lime bars from scratch, but the key limes were so expensive, it was going to cost me something like $18 in key limes. I bought a highly recommended bottle of key lime juice (not from concentrate) from some special place in Florida.
aside from the cost of key limes, it'll take forever to juice them! Nellie & Joe's is supposed to be the best, and i thikn a lot or restaurants use it for their key lime pies...

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, a medium price wine . They ate pasta, they had to drink wine. It's the law.:)

Good wines are selling with screw on caps now. Those old wine snobs are spinning in their graves.
I love the screw tops. I'm the only one that drinks it, so I can throw it back in the fridge.

But all those cute Pinterest projects with corks I'll never get to make. Alas.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Speaking of etiquette:

Sounds like it just won't be a party without that bag of fun there.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I agree

dahgts wrote, "
S/B top of the line cheese, pate and a great wine."

I know nothing of this brand, but it's the Black Label. Sounds to me like they consider it top of the line.

You can always re-gift wine, which is cool. But yeah, I only do booze if I know what people like.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Da'
You're welcome.

For any Seinfeld fans out there, different comedians and cars.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Sitting on my back deck and my neighbor is playing with her toddler grandson. She's far louder and obnoxious than the kid and my dogs occasionally bark at her. All of a sudden she screams "OUCH!" I guess he bit her, heh. Baby high five to you, young padawan.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE