“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#87583 Jun 21, 2013
squishymama wrote:
I immediately thought of us when I saw this.
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/3845206-hav...
If there's ever a reason to oppose gay marriage....

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#87584 Jun 21, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Thanks to something I said once, my friend got life insurance on her kid (which normally isn't a wise thing to do)
Why do you think getting life insurance on your kid isn't a wise thing to do?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87585 Jun 21, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think getting life insurance on your kid isn't a wise thing to do?
There are two kinds of life insurance: The kind that pays only when you die, and the kind that claims to give you payout later like an investment, and that one often is presented with hyperinflated projected growth and is not guaranteed, so you could get nothing. Most reliable financial advisers say that most people don't need life insurance on their children. While there is the issue of having access to credit to pay for a funeral (which many people do have), the death rate for children is so low, it's a losing-at-the-odds game.

It's more about low likelihood that your child will die. Your money could be better invested in, say, funds for college or something similar.

Location hidden

#87586 Jun 21, 2013
Pe and others may like this: I found out recently that several big time old time Hollywood stars - women - were intellectuals in ways I never knew. For example, Hedy Lamarr!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr

Mathematically talented,[2] Lamarr and composer George Antheil invented an early technique for spread spectrum communications and frequency hopping, necessary for wireless communication from the pre-computer age to the present day.

there were others like her. I just thought that was too cool not to share.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#87587 Jun 21, 2013
squishymama wrote:

Around here that's not a wedding gift, it's a shower gift. Still, that bride was completely out of line.

Location hidden

#87588 Jun 21, 2013
Hey, Florida folks: What do you pay for a good-sized orange at the grocery store?

I just paid $1.18 for one today. Key limes never get cheaper than 50 cents each, but they are usually $1 (same with regular limes).

Location hidden

#87589 Jun 21, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Around here that's not a wedding gift, it's a shower gift. Still, that bride was completely out of line.
I would have liked it better if he'd put a good wine in there, maybe a set of nice plastic wine glasses, etc. Not the candy stuff.

But I have read and heard for years that in the Jersey/NY area, it's customary to give large gifts of cash at weddings. Like $200 minimum. I've never given more than $50. i can't afford to give $200. Does that even matter? Are you expected to give big e3ven if it means you eat ramen and pb&j for a month to afford it?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87590 Jun 21, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Reminded me of this SNL skit: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/...

Location hidden

#87591 Jun 21, 2013
I admit, my favorite part is the two lesbians at the end.

One of the gay guys getting married is the fiancee of Cobie Smulders (sp?) from How I Met Your Mother. he's gotten more air time int he last season and I think he's pretty good.`
The Incredible Flounder

Bradenton, FL

#87592 Jun 21, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Hey, Florida folks: What do you pay for a good-sized orange at the grocery store?
I just paid $1.18 for one today. Key limes never get cheaper than 50 cents each, but they are usually $1 (same with regular limes).
Believe it or not, about the same but usually by the bag.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#87593 Jun 21, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I would have liked it better if he'd put a good wine in there, maybe a set of nice plastic wine glasses, etc. Not the candy stuff.

But I have read and heard for years that in the Jersey/NY area, it's customary to give large gifts of cash at weddings. Like $200 minimum. I've never given more than $50. i can't afford to give $200. Does that even matter? Are you expected to give big e3ven if it means you eat ramen and pb&j for a month to afford it?
It is customary around here to give $150-$200 for friends as a wedding gift. Most people would rather have their friends celebrate the day with them than have them stay home because they were in a budget.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87594 Jun 21, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I was FLOORED by how rude and nasty they are! And I thought that was a VERY thoughtful gift!
I would have had more sympathy for the Guest/LW if he had just not responded to Laura ( 2nd Bridezilla ); that said the brides were wrong, but the LW sense of humor n gift giving is weird too.

What is a doe and doe, BTW?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87595 Jun 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I would have had more sympathy for the Guest/LW if he had just not responded to Laura ( 2nd Bridezilla ); that said the brides were wrong, but the LW sense of humor n gift giving is weird too.

I'm guessing it is the opposite of a stag party?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#87596 Jun 21, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Pe and others may like this: I found out recently that several big time old time Hollywood stars - women - were intellectuals in ways I never knew. For example, Hedy Lamarr!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr
Mathematically talented,[2] Lamarr and composer George Antheil invented an early technique for spread spectrum communications and frequency hopping, necessary for wireless communication from the pre-computer age to the present day.
there were others like her. I just thought that was too cool not to share.
I was working with a close relative of hers around the time she died so I had heard about this. The papers reported that she held a patent for one of the components of radar systems as I recall.

Other smarties I thought included Raquel Welch and Jill St John, one was a PhD and one was a marine biologist but neither has that in their wikipedia bios so I may be wrong

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#87597 Jun 21, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I don't get key limes, but regular limes go 4 for $1 around here

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#87598 Jun 21, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I was FLOORED by how rude and nasty they are! And I thought that was a VERY thoughtful gift!
D and I have been married for 29+ years at this point. One of my old BF's wh was invited to teh wedding sent a really nice wicker basket with picnic equipment in it- plastic plates, plastic wine glasses, 2 napkins etc.We have use it for years- There was a bottle of wine in it as well.

Location hidden

#87599 Jun 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I would have had more sympathy for the Guest/LW if he had just not responded to Laura ( 2nd Bridezilla ); that said the brides were wrong, but the LW sense of humor n gift giving is weird too.
I'm guessing there is some wedding tradition among some groups of people called "stag and doe"? So it was changed to "doe and doe" for two women getting married.

Location hidden

#87600 Jun 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I don't get key limes, but regular limes go 4 for $1 around here
I wanted to make a key lime pie or key lime bars from scratch, but the key limes were so expensive, it was going to cost me something like $18 in key limes. I bought a highly recommended bottle of key lime juice (not from concentrate) from some special place in Florida.

Location hidden

#87601 Jun 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> D and I have been married for 29+ years at this point. One of my old BF's wh was invited to teh wedding sent a really nice wicker basket with picnic equipment in it- plastic plates, plastic wine glasses, 2 napkins etc.We have use it for years- There was a bottle of wine in it as well.
Our best man gave us a really nice, manly-looking wicker basket if such a thing can exist (deep, rich colors) and picnic stuff in it. I still have that basket -- it holds all my stationery and greeting cards. I love it.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87602 Jun 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I was working with a close relative of hers around the time she died so I had heard about this. The papers reported that she held a patent for one of the components of radar systems as I recall.
Other smarties I thought included Raquel Welch and Jill St John, one was a PhD and one was a marine biologist but neither has that in their wikipedia bios so I may be wrong
I watched "Bells are Ringing" today with Judy Holliday. She usually paid a ditzy blonde, not very smart. She had a genius IQ and was quite intellectual. Total opposite of her screen and stage roles. Sad that she died, in her 50's I think, of breast cancer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 16 min Blow-up STAR News 81
FLOOD of illegal alien kids explained. 35 min Mortimer Fish 1
Amy 9-16 46 min Kuuipo 35
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 56 min punte 46,608
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr harmonious 1,109,482
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr loose cannon 177,989
iso Casandra Holloman 3 hr ThatGuyFromDanceC... 1
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE