Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87646 Jun 23, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
agree, most of fine wines are still corked. the screw top is slowly coming into favor outside of the US. Europe is especially slow to let go of tradition when it comes to food and drink.
Must have been good wine that caused me to fall asleep on the train one night last week and miss my stop:)
Or listening to soothing music in the privacy of....

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#87647 Jun 23, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i've seen this brand in the major liquor store around here - Binny's:
http://www.schmitt-soehne.com/en/schmitt-soeh...
Here's a link to Binny's piesporter selections:
http://www.binnys.com/all/piesporter#/...
A good shop if you ever make it up here (you're in FL, right?)
Yeah Florida....Thanks for the source.....we have this huge place, i will try.....whereabouts are you?
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#87648 Jun 23, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Or listening to soothing music in the privacy of....
ha

that and the fact that conducters don't come thru yelling stops like the good old days and that the speakers don't work half the time. my line is the stepchild of Metra. or that I had ear plugs on listening to soothing music. a combination of all the above

Location hidden

#87649 Jun 23, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
All the boxed wine I've tried has been kind of crappy, but it's 4 bottles for the price of 2-ish, so it kind of works out in the end.
Consumer's Report gave a high grade to the Target boxed, Pinot Grigio...we liked it, and i liked just filling the glass with the spigot....how simple....I'm not high-brow enough to know great from good...lol...

Location hidden

#87650 Jun 23, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Piesporter Goldtropschen? When my parents took me and my husband out for my 21st birthday ( so long ago it was before they invented....) that was the wine my dad ordered for the table. Surely So FL has some other Moselle's?It has been a long time since I drank German wines regularly but as I recall, Zeller Katz Schwartz was a serviceable cheap version.
My first wife died recently of cancer....61...she sure gave it a fight, tho....We alway's remained great friends....Decades ago, We had the best beer, I've ever had on vacation in Koblenz, Germany....where the Rhine meets the Mosel...Three weeks in Europe with Eurail passes, and incredible experience.....

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#87651 Jun 23, 2013

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#87652 Jun 23, 2013
Cool!
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://lifehacker.com/make-a-d iy-reusable-ice-pack-from-an-e mpty-box-of-wine-512439695?utm _source=feedly
Wine Box bag uses

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87653 Jun 23, 2013
When I lived at home and my mom was alive, fridge space was at a premium. My dad would take the wine bag out of the box and just squeeze the bag around wherever it would fit.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87654 Jun 23, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://lifehacker.com/make-a-d iy-reusable-ice-pack-from-an-e mpty-box-of-wine-512439695?utm _source=feedly
Wine Box bag uses
I have bookmarked Life Hacker. That's neat stuff. THanks

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#87655 Jun 23, 2013
Wine=red, bottle, cork. Full stop.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#87656 Jun 24, 2013

Location hidden

#87657 Jun 24, 2013
Watched a comedy special with Rickey Gervais...where he drank from this huge can of Foster's Ale....so i bought a big can at the grocery...$2....not bad....haven't had it yet....saving it for the Big, Big, Blackhawks vs. Bruins game tonight.....lol....

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87658 Jun 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dunno 'bout that. I have a couple bottles of Grand Cru in the fridge that have corks.
I'm sure some still get corks. Do you read about wine? They switched from corks to screw tops years ago.

Location hidden

#87659 Jun 24, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
agree, most of fine wines are still corked. the screw top is slowly coming into favor outside of the US. Europe is especially slow to let go of tradition when it comes to food and drink.
Must have been good wine that caused me to fall asleep on the train one night last week and miss my stop:)
Incorrect. I've read articles on how France and Italy have led the way in getting rid of corks and how Americans still cling to it (corks) out of misplaced/miseducated wine snobbery.

Location hidden

#87660 Jun 24, 2013
(I'm not making this up -- I regularly read articles on wine and have read about this cork issue several times.)

Location hidden

#87661 Jun 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
(I'm not making this up -- I regularly read articles on wine and have read about this cork issue several times.)
My experience has been, like many others....that only the least expensive wines come with screw-type tops....Annie Greensprings, Thunderbird, etc.....the french and californian vintners seem to understand the corks are a facet to the aging ritual......

Location hidden

#87662 Jun 24, 2013
It's going to be 88 today. Ugh. Softball at 6. I may melt. Nick and I spent way too much $$$ on dining out this weekend, so we're going to skip the post-game drinks/meal and head home with some cheaper takeout and then shower and watch TV.

We haven't had a hot day for softball yet, so we've been spoiled.

Lots of people still without power today. 400,000-something people lost power Thursday/Friday, and then on Saturday, I think fewer than half of those had power back. That would suck, throwing away food from the fridge and freezer, not having AC, etc.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#87663 Jun 24, 2013
Just more of your typical liberal American bashing. If you hate this countries wine bottles so much, why not just buy that fancy european screw top stuff and leave the rest of us alone!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect. I've read articles on how France and Italy have led the way in getting rid of corks and how Americans still cling to it (corks) out of misplaced/miseducated wine snobbery.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87664 Jun 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't even thinking about American wines. Actually, Europe was slower to go to screw tops then Chilean, New Zealand, Australian wines, which produce great wines. These countries led the way. Corks are continuing for wines that should be aged 10 or 20 years. They breathe. Personally, I don't care how it's stopped, if it tastes good to me, that's it.

France is still po'd cause a California winery beat their Chardonnays in 1976.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87665 Jun 24, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>My experience has been, like many others....that only the least expensive wines come with screw-type tops....Annie Greensprings, Thunderbird, etc.....the french and californian vintners seem to understand the corks are a facet to the aging ritual......
Not true at all. Go to a good wine store and see. Cork is preferred for red because of the aging process. Whites don't matter. And all three methods, cork, synthetic or aluminum caps don't matter if the wine should be consumed in a year or two.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 31 min Susanm 1,458,591
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 36 min Dr Guru 231,058
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr OzRitz 62,317
last post wins! (Dec '10) 3 hr honeymylove 2,752
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr Susanm 9,853
last post wins! (Apr '13) 4 hr honeymylove 1,956
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 4 hr honeymylove 2,280

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages