Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87588 Jun 21, 2013
Hey, Florida folks: What do you pay for a good-sized orange at the grocery store?

I just paid $1.18 for one today. Key limes never get cheaper than 50 cents each, but they are usually $1 (same with regular limes).

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87589 Jun 21, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Around here that's not a wedding gift, it's a shower gift. Still, that bride was completely out of line.
I would have liked it better if he'd put a good wine in there, maybe a set of nice plastic wine glasses, etc. Not the candy stuff.

But I have read and heard for years that in the Jersey/NY area, it's customary to give large gifts of cash at weddings. Like $200 minimum. I've never given more than $50. i can't afford to give $200. Does that even matter? Are you expected to give big e3ven if it means you eat ramen and pb&j for a month to afford it?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87590 Jun 21, 2013
squishymama wrote:
I immediately thought of us when I saw this.
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/3845206-hav...
Reminded me of this SNL skit: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87591 Jun 21, 2013
I admit, my favorite part is the two lesbians at the end.

One of the gay guys getting married is the fiancee of Cobie Smulders (sp?) from How I Met Your Mother. he's gotten more air time int he last season and I think he's pretty good.`
The Incredible Flounder

Bradenton, FL

#87592 Jun 21, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Hey, Florida folks: What do you pay for a good-sized orange at the grocery store?
I just paid $1.18 for one today. Key limes never get cheaper than 50 cents each, but they are usually $1 (same with regular limes).
Believe it or not, about the same but usually by the bag.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#87593 Jun 21, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I would have liked it better if he'd put a good wine in there, maybe a set of nice plastic wine glasses, etc. Not the candy stuff.

But I have read and heard for years that in the Jersey/NY area, it's customary to give large gifts of cash at weddings. Like $200 minimum. I've never given more than $50. i can't afford to give $200. Does that even matter? Are you expected to give big e3ven if it means you eat ramen and pb&j for a month to afford it?
It is customary around here to give $150-$200 for friends as a wedding gift. Most people would rather have their friends celebrate the day with them than have them stay home because they were in a budget.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87594 Jun 21, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I was FLOORED by how rude and nasty they are! And I thought that was a VERY thoughtful gift!
I would have had more sympathy for the Guest/LW if he had just not responded to Laura ( 2nd Bridezilla ); that said the brides were wrong, but the LW sense of humor n gift giving is weird too.

What is a doe and doe, BTW?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87595 Jun 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I would have had more sympathy for the Guest/LW if he had just not responded to Laura ( 2nd Bridezilla ); that said the brides were wrong, but the LW sense of humor n gift giving is weird too.

What is a doe and doe, BTW?
I'm guessing it is the opposite of a stag party?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87596 Jun 21, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Pe and others may like this: I found out recently that several big time old time Hollywood stars - women - were intellectuals in ways I never knew. For example, Hedy Lamarr!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr
Mathematically talented,[2] Lamarr and composer George Antheil invented an early technique for spread spectrum communications and frequency hopping, necessary for wireless communication from the pre-computer age to the present day.
***
there were others like her. I just thought that was too cool not to share.
I was working with a close relative of hers around the time she died so I had heard about this. The papers reported that she held a patent for one of the components of radar systems as I recall.

Other smarties I thought included Raquel Welch and Jill St John, one was a PhD and one was a marine biologist but neither has that in their wikipedia bios so I may be wrong

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87597 Jun 21, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Hey, Florida folks: What do you pay for a good-sized orange at the grocery store?
I just paid $1.18 for one today. Key limes never get cheaper than 50 cents each, but they are usually $1 (same with regular limes).
I don't get key limes, but regular limes go 4 for $1 around here

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87598 Jun 21, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I was FLOORED by how rude and nasty they are! And I thought that was a VERY thoughtful gift!
D and I have been married for 29+ years at this point. One of my old BF's wh was invited to teh wedding sent a really nice wicker basket with picnic equipment in it- plastic plates, plastic wine glasses, 2 napkins etc.We have use it for years- There was a bottle of wine in it as well.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87599 Jun 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I would have had more sympathy for the Guest/LW if he had just not responded to Laura ( 2nd Bridezilla ); that said the brides were wrong, but the LW sense of humor n gift giving is weird too.
What is a doe and doe, BTW?
I'm guessing there is some wedding tradition among some groups of people called "stag and doe"? So it was changed to "doe and doe" for two women getting married.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87600 Jun 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I don't get key limes, but regular limes go 4 for $1 around here
I wanted to make a key lime pie or key lime bars from scratch, but the key limes were so expensive, it was going to cost me something like $18 in key limes. I bought a highly recommended bottle of key lime juice (not from concentrate) from some special place in Florida.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87601 Jun 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> D and I have been married for 29+ years at this point. One of my old BF's wh was invited to teh wedding sent a really nice wicker basket with picnic equipment in it- plastic plates, plastic wine glasses, 2 napkins etc.We have use it for years- There was a bottle of wine in it as well.
Our best man gave us a really nice, manly-looking wicker basket if such a thing can exist (deep, rich colors) and picnic stuff in it. I still have that basket -- it holds all my stationery and greeting cards. I love it.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87602 Jun 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I was working with a close relative of hers around the time she died so I had heard about this. The papers reported that she held a patent for one of the components of radar systems as I recall.
Other smarties I thought included Raquel Welch and Jill St John, one was a PhD and one was a marine biologist but neither has that in their wikipedia bios so I may be wrong
I watched "Bells are Ringing" today with Judy Holliday. She usually paid a ditzy blonde, not very smart. She had a genius IQ and was quite intellectual. Total opposite of her screen and stage roles. Sad that she died, in her 50's I think, of breast cancer.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87603 Jun 21, 2013
We liked the quirky gifts. And I think most were between $20 and $50.

My sister made some comment off the cuff once about needing to get married to make money in gifts. I quickly informed her that it's not even close to a money-making venture. Noooot even close.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87604 Jun 21, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing it is the opposite of a stag party?
Thanks for that. I was wondering what that was also.

Could it be that the brides were older and pretty much had a home and probably didn't need household stuff so he thought the basket would be something different? Altho, he could have put something more gourmet in there instead of that candy. Wine and pate, can't remember all the items other then candy. The "no thank you" message was still rude. And to lie about the gluton? They weren't that smart anyhow to not remember about eating the pasta.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#87605 Jun 21, 2013
dahgts wrote:
Altho, he could have put something more gourmet in there instead of that candy.
" I gave them a wicker box with a hinged lid, filled with food items, most of them PC Black Label, including: tri-color pasta, salsas, Balsamic vinegar and Olive, Gourmet croutons, Panko Breading, Pesto, some baking ingredients, Biscuits from Godiva and a few 'Fun' items like Marshmallow Fluff, Sour Patch Kids and Butterscotch sauce. "

Sounds like most of it was gourmet and bitchy bride chose to only focus on the candy items he tossed in.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87606 Jun 21, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
" I gave them a wicker box with a hinged lid, filled with food items, most of them PC Black Label, including: tri-color pasta, salsas, Balsamic vinegar and Olive, Gourmet croutons, Panko Breading, Pesto, some baking ingredients, Biscuits from Godiva and a few 'Fun' items like Marshmallow Fluff, Sour Patch Kids and Butterscotch sauce. "
Sounds like most of it was gourmet and bitchy bride chose to only focus on the candy items he tossed in.
S/B top of the line cheese, pate and a great wine. I tend to think even without the candy they would have been bitchin'

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#87607 Jun 21, 2013
dahgts wrote:
I tend to think even without the candy they would have been bitchin'
I agree
dahgts wrote:
S/B top of the line cheese, pate and a great wine.
I know nothing of this brand, but it's the Black Label. Sounds to me like they consider it top of the line.

BTW, it always puzzles me that people just assume wine is such a great gift. Unless you KNOW that the recipient is a wine drinker, its just as much a stab in the dark as tri-color pasta. I would appreciate the candy more than any bottle of wine and would not be able to tell the difference between a $2 bottle with a screw cap and a $500 bottle that's been in the cellar for decades.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 16 min DBWriter 1,224,525
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 31 min TRD 69,827
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr jimi-yank 53,065
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Learn to Read 187,892
Word (Dec '08) 9 hr _Zoey_ 5,213
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 hr _Zoey_ 5,951
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 15 hr boundary painter 1,175
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]