Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87400 Jun 19, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
I don't always let the dogs out at night in my underwear, but when I do, my next door neighbors are having a party on their deck.
Stay thirsty, my friends.
HA! This made my coworker laugh out loud.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#87401 Jun 19, 2013
I know! You would think, right?
But it just tasted like hot gravy wine. It said to use a pinot (sp), so maybe that was it. Normally I would have used a merlot.
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I fail to see how that would be a problem.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87402 Jun 19, 2013
Hey, ladies. In these summer months, wearing skirts, Do you get harassed by construction works and their cat calls?

Try these:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-234...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87403 Jun 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Hey, ladies. In these summer months, wearing skirts, Do you get harassed by construction works and their cat calls?
Try these:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-234...
Hork. Seriously.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#87404 Jun 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Hey, ladies. In these summer months, wearing skirts, Do you get harassed by construction works and their cat calls?
Try these:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-234...
HA!

But no.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#87405 Jun 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
I know! You would think, right?
But it just tasted like hot gravy wine. It said to use a pinot (sp), so maybe that was it. Normally I would have used a merlot.
<quoted text>
Burgundy. Also I have found that 1/2 wine and 1/2 consommé works best. Keep in mind that you weren't cooking it for a full 2.5 hours (RIGHT?) because the meat was already cooked.

Here you go:

2 pounds stewing meat (remember long cooking time so meat doesn't have to be WAY tender) that has some fat on it (like maybe 10-20%

1 bunch (or 1/2 pound) carrots
1/2 pound potatoes (red, gold, white...NOT russet, they will fall apart)
1 med size sweet onion diced (browned or not your choice)
1/2 lb mushrooms (browned or not, your choice)
1 cup burgundy
1 cup consomme (or beef stock)
flour
salt
pepper
fresh thyme
dry thyme
bay leaf
1/4 c chopped flat leaf parsley
olive oil
bacon
butter

cut it and cook bacon to render the fat
drain bacon saving the fat in the pan save the bacon on the side
add oil to the pan...you gotta kinda eyeball how much oil you need

dry the meat thoroughly (this really IS important)
season meat with salt and pepper, dredge in flour, brown meat in oil drain on a paper towel

add carrots and potatoes to the oil and cook for a few minutes to *kinda* brown them
add meat back in and stir to mix
*at this point if you are going to cook the mushrooms and onions in the stew add them, if not, you will brown them and add in at the end**
add a couple (like 4) sprigs of fresh thyme and 1 tbsp of dry thyme
add 2 bay leaves
add bacon back in
add burgundy and consommé
salt (like about a teaspoon...I never really measure, sorry) and pepper (1/2 tap-ish)
cover and com in oven (350 degrees) 2.5 hours

**if you browned onions and mushrooms separately (in butter) add them in now***

when its done cooking strain liquid and get rid of thyme and bay leaf
cook liquid in sauce pan with like 1 table spoon flour, add 1 table spoon butter when it thickens up a bit
put stew and liquid together in a serving dish and stir, check for taste, add salt and pepper to taste

garnish with the chopped parsley

I never really measure but this is pretty close. I had to stop and think how much I use so I kinda ran through it in my head as I was typing.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87406 Jun 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Hey, ladies. In these summer months, wearing skirts, Do you get harassed by construction works and their cat calls?
Try these:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-234...
Those are really gross. I should buy a pair.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87407 Jun 19, 2013
Stina wrote:
Good morning, all! Having one of my fave breakfasts: everything bagel toasted with lots of butter topped with corned beef hash and crystal sauce! Yum!
What is crystal sauce?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#87409 Jun 19, 2013
Thanks! I have saved this off for next time. Its quite similar to how I cook braised short ribs.
And you are correct about the cooking time, that was probably the problem.
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Burgundy. Also I have found that 1/2 wine and 1/2 consommé works best. Keep in mind that you weren't cooking it for a full 2.5 hours (RIGHT?) because the meat was already cooked.
Here you go:
2 pounds stewing meat (remember long cooking time so meat doesn't have to be WAY tender) that has some fat on it (like maybe 10-20%
1 bunch (or 1/2 pound) carrots
1/2 pound potatoes (red, gold, white...NOT russet, they will fall apart)
1 med size sweet onion diced (browned or not your choice)
1/2 lb mushrooms (browned or not, your choice)
1 cup burgundy
1 cup consomme (or beef stock)
flour
salt
pepper
fresh thyme
dry thyme
bay leaf
1/4 c chopped flat leaf parsley
olive oil
bacon
butter
cut it and cook bacon to render the fat
drain bacon saving the fat in the pan save the bacon on the side
add oil to the pan...you gotta kinda eyeball how much oil you need
dry the meat thoroughly (this really IS important)
season meat with salt and pepper, dredge in flour, brown meat in oil drain on a paper towel
add carrots and potatoes to the oil and cook for a few minutes to *kinda* brown them
add meat back in and stir to mix
*at this point if you are going to cook the mushrooms and onions in the stew add them, if not, you will brown them and add in at the end**
add a couple (like 4) sprigs of fresh thyme and 1 tbsp of dry thyme
add 2 bay leaves
add bacon back in
add burgundy and consommé
salt (like about a teaspoon...I never really measure, sorry) and pepper (1/2 tap-ish)
cover and com in oven (350 degrees) 2.5 hours
**if you browned onions and mushrooms separately (in butter) add them in now***
when its done cooking strain liquid and get rid of thyme and bay leaf
cook liquid in sauce pan with like 1 table spoon flour, add 1 table spoon butter when it thickens up a bit
put stew and liquid together in a serving dish and stir, check for taste, add salt and pepper to taste
garnish with the chopped parsley
I never really measure but this is pretty close. I had to stop and think how much I use so I kinda ran through it in my head as I was typing.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Marcus Hook, PA

#87410 Jun 19, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>What is crystal sauce?
Gravy with crystal meth in it

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#87411 Jun 19, 2013
Russell Brand is awesome (long, but safe for work)

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/...

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#87412 Jun 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
Thanks! I have saved this off for next time. Its quite similar to how I cook braised short ribs.
And you are correct about the cooking time, that was probably the problem.
<quoted text>
You're welcome. Keep in mind like I said I never really measure stuff. I just kinda "know." So you know, adjust for personal preferences. The meat is a big deal though. You don't want anything that can't stand up to the long cooking time, and you need the time for it to meld well, and nothing *too* lean, but not like chuck roast. Short ribs would probably be excellent, but I would trim the fat a bit because IME they tend to be kinda fatty and there's a lot more greasy-ness than I think would be good.

Oh, and I had to make this about 1000 (ok more like 50) before I really got a feel for it. Now, I can do it in my sleep. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#87413 Jun 19, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>What is crystal sauce?
http://www.crystalhotsauce.com

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87414 Jun 19, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Russell Brand is awesome (long, but safe for work)

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/...
I fully intend to work "shaft grasper" in to my regular lexicon of insults.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87415 Jun 19, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Russell Brand is awesome (long, but safe for work)
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/...
I heart Russell Brand.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87416 Jun 19, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Ah thanks.Around here that would be Frank's.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#87417 Jun 19, 2013
So the "bride" called me yesterday to tell me about the wedding cancellation, and it was really tough to fake the surprise. Her little speech was very rehearsed and gave no explanation, just that the daughter was fine with it (like it was somehow up to her?) and I didn't press her for details because I was at work.

Then last night my youngest step-sis (who appreantly hasn't gotten the call yet) called my husband (who answered the phone because he didn't know it was her) and started in on him about why she didn't know about the wedding being cancelled (and I'm not sure how she even knew about it). He got so irritated at being blamed for not telling her (and made it clear that it was NOT his place to tell her) that he basically told her the truth (as we know it) about the "real" reason the wedding is off even though we were told not to tell anyone because we were not supposed to know. He told me later that he is done with the BS and that he is going to insist that everyone knock it off with the secrets.

At first I was a little pissed, because I told him that we weren't supposed to know anything, but then I realized that he might be the perfect person to call BS on all this. He has absolutely nothing to lose here and could care less if he's "in trouble" with either of these step-sisters.

So now I'm just waiting for one of them, or all three of them, to call and start b!tching at me for spilling the beans. I think I'm going to follow my husband's lead though, and insist that we all get told the truth and hear from *everybody*. We will also not be attending functions when my eldest step-sis will be there and will not play along with the "nothing's wrong here" script that she is trying to force on us.

I have the bad feeling that things are going to get ugly in the near future...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87418 Jun 19, 2013
squishymama wrote:
So the "bride" called me yesterday to tell me about the wedding cancellation, and it was really tough to fake the surprise. Her little speech was very rehearsed and gave no explanation, just that the daughter was fine with it (like it was somehow up to her?) and I didn't press her for details because I was at work.
Then last night my youngest step-sis (who appreantly hasn't gotten the call yet) called my husband (who answered the phone because he didn't know it was her) and started in on him about why she didn't know about the wedding being cancelled (and I'm not sure how she even knew about it). He got so irritated at being blamed for not telling her (and made it clear that it was NOT his place to tell her) that he basically told her the truth (as we know it) about the "real" reason the wedding is off even though we were told not to tell anyone because we were not supposed to know. He told me later that he is done with the BS and that he is going to insist that everyone knock it off with the secrets.
At first I was a little pissed, because I told him that we weren't supposed to know anything, but then I realized that he might be the perfect person to call BS on all this. He has absolutely nothing to lose here and could care less if he's "in trouble" with either of these step-sisters.
So now I'm just waiting for one of them, or all three of them, to call and start b!tching at me for spilling the beans. I think I'm going to follow my husband's lead though, and insist that we all get told the truth and hear from *everybody*. We will also not be attending functions when my eldest step-sis will be there and will not play along with the "nothing's wrong here" script that she is trying to force on us.
I have the bad feeling that things are going to get ugly in the near future...
I really recommend that someone get your niece out of there for a while and , if at all possible, find out from her if the former fiancee was just drunk and stupid or if he tried something.

You have my sympathies BTW

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87419 Jun 19, 2013
squishymama wrote:
So the "bride" called me yesterday to tell me about the wedding cancellation, and it was really tough to fake the surprise. Her little speech was very rehearsed and gave no explanation, just that the daughter was fine with it (like it was somehow up to her?) and I didn't press her for details because I was at work.
Then last night my youngest step-sis (who appreantly hasn't gotten the call yet) called my husband (who answered the phone because he didn't know it was her) and started in on him about why she didn't know about the wedding being cancelled (and I'm not sure how she even knew about it). He got so irritated at being blamed for not telling her (and made it clear that it was NOT his place to tell her) that he basically told her the truth (as we know it) about the "real" reason the wedding is off even though we were told not to tell anyone because we were not supposed to know. He told me later that he is done with the BS and that he is going to insist that everyone knock it off with the secrets.
At first I was a little pissed, because I told him that we weren't supposed to know anything, but then I realized that he might be the perfect person to call BS on all this. He has absolutely nothing to lose here and could care less if he's "in trouble" with either of these step-sisters.
So now I'm just waiting for one of them, or all three of them, to call and start b!tching at me for spilling the beans. I think I'm going to follow my husband's lead though, and insist that we all get told the truth and hear from *everybody*. We will also not be attending functions when my eldest step-sis will be there and will not play along with the "nothing's wrong here" script that she is trying to force on us.
I have the bad feeling that things are going to get ugly in the near future...
Wow. I think you're right. It's about to get REAL interesting. I don't blame either of you and I think it's a good call on both you and your husband's part. Otherwise all this crap will be just below the surface anyways. Get it out in the open. Go through it once and be done with it.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#87420 Jun 19, 2013
Idiot messes with a mom of 6 and she runs the s.o.b. over!

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/06/19/texas-mom...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min harmonious 1,124,768
Father Of Hans Peterson Speaks Out (Oct '07) 4 min Getagrip 44
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 8 min Boy G 50,587
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Frank 179,261
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr Eric 69,964
Birth mother 2 hr It is me 3
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr grave digger 47,478
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]