|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
OH MY FREAKING GOD.
I've had three people come to me asking what's wrong with the coffee maker.(I don't know and I don't care, frankly.) After the first person said that he thought there was no power to the coffee machines (we are having major renovations so sometimes we lose power for a short time while they do work), so I got up to check.
IT's just that no coffee drinker had yet bothered to TURN ON THE MACHINES and MAKE COFFEE.
So when 2nd and 3rd person came to me, I said "You drink coffee, figure it out." Are you freaking kidding me? THe machine obviously is set to "off" and you think the power is out? And you're a retired air force pilot and now electrical engineer of many years?
No. I'm not helping you figure out the coffee machine.
People aren't too bright at your place, are they?:)

Thank goodness they have you!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are beautiful!
One of my cousins (couple times removed) lives in Liverpool and has been taking old pictures of the city and contrasting or blending them with modern pictures of the same location. I love the way architecture in the UK is such a blend of the various time periods. For those of you on FB who are interested, the link to all the pictures is at the end of this article.
http://www.danielklongman.com/a-new-wave-of-l...
That is so cool -- the one that he's holding up the pic and it blends with the modern background.

Very artistic eye.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

So the Blackhawks are letting us down so far. :(

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

Probalbny most people believe that Hoffa is either buried somewhere or his body burned in acid.

Do we really have to spend money to find him at this point? Would there be any benefit in finding his body?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/18/us/michigan-hof...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Toj wrote:
So the Blackhawks are letting us down so far.:(
Yeah, what a crappy game.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Toj wrote:
So the Blackhawks are letting us down so far.:(
I know! And every time they lose, I lose another bet.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

On the bright side, Matilda and jmw, the last two games have been shorter and I'm getting my rest.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
People aren't too bright at your place, are they?:)
Thank goodness they have you!
Aw, thanks. ;)

It just was aggravating. These very smart people act so helpless because they want someone else to do something for them. If a partner asks me "can you fax/scan/copy this for me?" I say "sure!" and I do it. But when a partner stands at the machine and sighs loudly, I put phasers on "ignore."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
Probalbny most people believe that Hoffa is either buried somewhere or his body burned in acid.
Do we really have to spend money to find him at this point? Would there be any benefit in finding his body?
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/18/us/michigan-hof...
And even if they found him, I doubt there'd be any physical evidence that would lead them to prosecuting somebody, so it does seem like a waste of money. Let his family fund the sear h.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Toj wrote:
On the bright side, Matilda and jmw, the last two games have been shorter and I'm getting my rest.
Right? I did *not* want last night's to go super late. I had early hockey this morning.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
And even if they found him, I doubt there'd be any physical evidence that would lead them to prosecuting somebody, so it does seem like a waste of money. Let his family fund the sear h.
I agree. But it seems to have become something of a meme for high profile unresolved disappearances. It is just an update though. Nothing new.

Judge Crater, call your office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Force_Cra...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. But it seems to have become something of a meme for high profile unresolved disappearances. It is just an update though. Nothing new.
It's still front page news, too!

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought everybody knew that when the hole in the Chicago River flooded the tunnels under the Loop, that they found Hoffa's body there.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought everybody knew that when the hole in the Chicago River flooded the tunnels under the Loop, that they found Hoffa's body there.
Probably got sucked out to the lake. I wonder how they ever got all those mattresses out.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably got sucked out to the lake. I wonder how they ever got all those mattresses out.
I was riding the Metra NorthLine in that morning and could see the whirlpool from the train , where the water looked like it was going down the drain before they started with the mattresses. Neat.

If anyone ca do the research I would be very curious how far off my memory of this is. I thought Jane Byrne was trying to get the 1992 Olympics for Chicago ( which she obviously didn't) but that if she had been successful, opening day would have been the day of the Flood.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I was riding the Metra NorthLine in that morning and could see the whirlpool from the train , where the water looked like it was going down the drain before they started with the mattresses. Neat.
If anyone ca do the research I would be very curious how far off my memory of this is. I thought Jane Byrne was trying to get the 1992 Olympics for Chicago ( which she obviously didn't) but that if she had been successful, opening day would have been the day of the Flood.
It was the World's Fair, not the Olympics.

In an article dated in 2009 (Link: http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/thesk... )

"Think of the Museum Campus.

Back in the 1980s, then-Mayor Jane Byrne touted the idea of unified, landscaped campus that would join the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium. It would be a major legacy, she said, of the planned 1992 Chicago World's Fair.

Political infighting helped kill the fair. Yet the inspired notion that Chicago could shift the northbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive westward to create parkland acquired enough political momentum that it came off anyway -- just a few years later than anticipated.

The equivalent in Chicago's Olympic plans is the proposal to convert the former Michael Reese Hospital campus at 29th Street and Ellis Avenue into a high-rise residential complex that would serve as the Olympic Village."

Article is much longer. The above is to give you the flavor of it.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

I was off by a week.
The World's Fair opened April 20, 1992 in Seville Spain; the Chicago Flood was April 13, 1992.

If Chicago had gone forward with the Fair, it would have been a major embarrassment and an incredible uproar because of all the pre-opening festivities when the Flood occurred. Everything happens for a reason, I guess.

Thanks for looking that up- I had forgotten it was the World's Fair.

FWIW, I saw the Fair in Seville the end of May. It was pretty cool.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

I want to win the lottery so I can have daily massages.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:29PM CDT

•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••