“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#87111 Jun 12, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Sorry, my tax dollars go to the University of Illinois already and if you can't explain what the money is going to be used for, TYVM, Good Bye.
Okay group. What did I miss here?
Are universities normally funded by tax dollars?

But I agree. What the hell are they doing with the $50,000 a year each student pays? No thanks. Even in the worst economies, universities seem to do just fine. Screw them.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#87112 Jun 12, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Are universities normally funded by tax dollars?
But I agree. What the hell are they doing with the $50,000 a year each student pays? No thanks. Even in the worst economies, universities seem to do just fine. Screw them.
Of course public universities are funded with tax dollars. First from the state where they are located, then from grants and Federal funding for specific programs. That's how the Feds impose all the affirmative action etc stuff. The school complies or it loses its Federal funding and research grants.
There are also endowments. Tuition is a very small portion of the operating income.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#87113 Jun 12, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course public universities are funded with tax dollars. First from the state where they are located, then from grants and Federal funding for specific programs. That's how the Feds impose all the affirmative action etc stuff. The school complies or it loses its Federal funding and research grants.
There are also endowments. Tuition is a very small portion of the operating income.
Then why the hell did I pay for college like a sucker?!
Whereas if I was an illegal immigrant or other minority, I'd have gone for free.
Next thing you know, people are gonna start wanting free healthcare.
I'm smelling a scam.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87114 Jun 12, 2013
This game is nuts!

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#87115 Jun 12, 2013
Hung jury:

"A jury so irreconcilibly divided in opinion that they cannot agree upon any verdict by the required unanimity. See Deadlocked (Jury); Dynamite instruction"

Black's Law Dictionary

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#87116 Jun 13, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why the hell did I pay for college like a sucker?!
Whereas if I was an illegal immigrant or other minority, I'd have gone for free.
Next thing you know, people are gonna start wanting free healthcare.
I'm smelling a scam.
Do you have information on a program, that fund's illegal aliens free college education?.....

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87117 Jun 13, 2013

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#87118 Jun 13, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have information on a program, that fund's illegal aliens free college education?.....
Yes, it's called the Dream Act. Look into it.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#87119 Jun 13, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
This game is nuts!
Triple OT! I didn't make it but a few minutes into 1OT so I checked the score this morning and texted my friend who you met... totally forgot about the time difference. She just answered me a few minutes ago.
:)

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#87120 Jun 13, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's called the Dream Act. Look into it.
VofM
Did you read it? The act doesn't pay for college, it paves the way for legal status, as long as certain requirements are met. One of which is going to college, the other is military service. As a matter of fact, they are not even eligible for Pell Grants, which you were. As far as I can tell states are passing this separately.
Oh yes, they must be a good moral character, which you, fortunately, didn't have to prove.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87121 Jun 13, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Triple OT! I didn't make it but a few minutes into 1OT so I checked the score this morning and texted my friend who you met... totally forgot about the time difference. She just answered me a few minutes ago.
:)
I felt a weeeensy bit bad for all those Bruins fans that had to stay up until 1 a.m. only to be horribly disappointed. But then I was so fired up, I don't think I fell asleep until an hour and a half after the game ended anyway.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87122 Jun 13, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming there's no pre-nup dictating otherwise. Someone making 6 figures might be more inclined to have one in place before getting married.
True. And then the wife/husband who is on the short end of the stick of the prenup gets a lawyer to try to get out of it.

I say unless you were really forced to sign it (and if you were why get married?), stick to whatever agreement you made. A contract is a contract.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87123 Jun 13, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I felt a weeeensy bit bad for all those Bruins fans that had to stay up until 1 a.m. only to be horribly disappointed. But then I was so fired up, I don't think I fell asleep until an hour and a half after the game ended anyway.
Oh heck no! I didn't feel bad for the Bruins fans. I was excited the Hawks won.

They better win in regulation time next work day night game. Screwing up my sleep!

Get game, though.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87124 Jun 13, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Triple OT! I didn't make it but a few minutes into 1OT so I checked the score this morning and texted my friend who you met... totally forgot about the time difference. She just answered me a few minutes ago.
:)
I watched the whole thing. It made the ending that much better b/c I really need to get some sleep.

It was like: Yes! Okay. Now I have to settle down and sleep.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87125 Jun 13, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why the hell did I pay for college like a sucker?!
Whereas if I was an illegal immigrant or other minority, I'd have gone for free.
Next thing you know, people are gonna start wanting free healthcare.
I'm smelling a scam.
If you went to an Illinois university that wasn't private, you woule have paid tons more if it wasn't funded.

As for the illegal immigrnat status or other minority, you're just being crazy.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#87126 Jun 13, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I can only speak for NJ, but the words are used interchangeably here and while it can be awarded, it rarely is.
http://www.njdivorceonline.com/njpages/Alimon...
Okay. You're probably right. I can't speak for everyone. I just know someone who just went through a divorce, married 25 years. Has to pay her husband maintenance and he works and earns $100,000 a year -- but she makes a lot more. And he gets half her 401k and all her retirement things. And he doesn't pay child support. He doesn't have to.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#87127 Jun 13, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
VofM
Did you read it? The act doesn't pay for college, it paves the way for legal status, as long as certain requirements are met. One of which is going to college, the other is military service. As a matter of fact, they are not even eligible for Pell Grants, which you were. As far as I can tell states are passing this separately.
Oh yes, they must be a good moral character, which you, fortunately, didn't have to prove.
It allows illegal aliens to apply for privately funded assistance. Assistance that I, as a legal resident, do not qualify for.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#87128 Jun 13, 2013
http://www.today.com/money/dunkin-donuts-work...

Wow. Class act. And she filmed it!

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#87129 Jun 13, 2013
I'm waiting for the service guy from the TV company to get here. They have 15 minutes left in the window or I get a $20 credit.

It is now pouring rain and I am sympathetic to anyone who has to work outside or drive around from site to site in this weather. Still, I have to pick up E from school around 11.45, so I don't have a lot of time to deal with their delays.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#87130 Jun 13, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's called the Dream Act. Look into it.
Your full of sh*t.....as usual....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min sonicfilter 1,109,097
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 min Frijoles 69,357
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 29 min Barrack Ebola 49,789
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 44 min loose cannon 177,969
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 46,578
Amy 9-16 1 hr Mister Tonka 4
Abby 9-16 1 hr PEllen 3
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••