|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Good for her! As for him, it's the law that after you've been married it gets split and maintenance has to be paid to a spouse until they get remarried. Also, they get half of the pension/401ks. So I don't feel like he's being all that generous. But she's is doing awesome! Good for her!
Not everywhere. There is a big difference between community property and non-community property states. Also, alimony is very rare anymore.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

For those of you who need stuff to look through tomorrow. These are pretty interesting -

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-s...

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Yes, yes I do.
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
You wish!:P

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everywhere. There is a big difference between community property and non-community property states. Also, alimony is very rare anymore.
Is not alimony anymore, it's maintenance. This is part of the Minnesota divorce law:

"Subd. 2.Amount; duration....

The maintenance order shall be in amounts and for periods of time, either temporary or permanent, as the court deems just, without regard to marital misconduct, and after considering all relevant factors including:

(a) the financial resources of the party seeking maintenance, including marital property apportioned to the party, and the party's ability to meet needs independently, including the extent to which a provision for support of a child living with the party includes a sum for that party as custodian;

(b) the time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to enable the party seeking maintenance to find appropriate employment, and the probability, given the party's age and skills, of completing education or training and becoming fully or partially self-supporting;

(c) the standard of living established during the marriage;

(d) the duration of the marriage and, in the case of a homemaker, the length of absence from employment and the extent to which any education, skills, or experience have become outmoded and earning capacity has become permanently diminished;

(e) the loss of earnings, seniority, retirement benefits, and other employment opportunities forgone by the spouse seeking spousal maintenance;

(f) the age, and the physical and emotional condition of the spouse seeking maintenance;

(g) the ability of the spouse from whom maintenance is sought to meet needs while meeting those of the spouse seeking maintenance; and

(h) the contribution of each party in the acquisition, preservation, depreciation, or appreciation in the amount or value of the marital property, as well as the contribution of a spouse as a homemaker or in furtherance of the other party's employment or business."

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
it's the law that after you've been married it gets split
Unless he hides it somewhere or spends it all.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
As for him, it's the law that after you've been married it gets split and maintenance has to be paid to a spouse until they get remarried. Also, they get half of the pension/401ks. So I don't feel like he's being all that generous. But she's is doing awesome! Good for her!
Assuming there's no pre-nup dictating otherwise. Someone making 6 figures might be more inclined to have one in place before getting married.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming there's no pre-nup dictating otherwise. Someone making 6 figures might be more inclined to have one in place before getting married.
Yeah but not so much 30 years ago. Plus they've been married 30 years...in most states that's considered a "lifetime marriage" and so the courts look at it differently than they would had they been married like 5 years or so. <shrug>

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Is not alimony anymore, it's maintenance. This is part of the Minnesota divorce law:

"Subd. 2.Amount; duration....

The maintenance order shall be in amounts and for periods of time, either temporary or permanent, as the court deems just, without regard to marital misconduct, and after considering all relevant factors including:

(a) the financial resources of the party seeking maintenance, including marital property apportioned to the party, and the party's ability to meet needs independently, including the extent to which a provision for support of a child living with the party includes a sum for that party as custodian;

(b) the time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to enable the party seeking maintenance to find appropriate employment, and the probability, given the party's age and skills, of completing education or training and becoming fully or partially self-supporting;

(c) the standard of living established during the marriage;

(d) the duration of the marriage and, in the case of a homemaker, the length of absence from employment and the extent to which any education, skills, or experience have become outmoded and earning capacity has become permanently diminished;

(e) the loss of earnings, seniority, retirement benefits, and other employment opportunities forgone by the spouse seeking spousal maintenance;

(f) the age, and the physical and emotional condition of the spouse seeking maintenance;

(g) the ability of the spouse from whom maintenance is sought to meet needs while meeting those of the spouse seeking maintenance; and

(h) the contribution of each party in the acquisition, preservation, depreciation, or appreciation in the amount or value of the marital property, as well as the contribution of a spouse as a homemaker or in furtherance of the other party's employment or business."
Then I can only speak for NJ, but the words are used interchangeably here and while it can be awarded, it rarely is.

http://www.njdivorceonline.com/njpages/Alimon...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

So I just had this fundraising call from college, a place I knew as Circle, now called UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago). It seems there are a lot more students on campus since I got out in 1971 and they hadn't half finished building the campus yet, I should hope so) and they need a quiet place to study so they want to set aside a place in the library for students to do that and they are seeking donations for that purpose.

1. Isn't that what a library is for in part- a quiet place to study?Yes, but there are more students now.
2.What's in that space now? Stacks or technology or something else? It's just open.
3. Are you asking for money for furniture? Well, no.

Sorry, my tax dollars go to the University of Illinois already and if you can't explain what the money is going to be used for, TYVM, Good Bye.

Okay group. What did I miss here?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Sorry, my tax dollars go to the University of Illinois already and if you can't explain what the money is going to be used for, TYVM, Good Bye.
Okay group. What did I miss here?
Are universities normally funded by tax dollars?

But I agree. What the hell are they doing with the $50,000 a year each student pays? No thanks. Even in the worst economies, universities seem to do just fine. Screw them.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Are universities normally funded by tax dollars?
But I agree. What the hell are they doing with the $50,000 a year each student pays? No thanks. Even in the worst economies, universities seem to do just fine. Screw them.
Of course public universities are funded with tax dollars. First from the state where they are located, then from grants and Federal funding for specific programs. That's how the Feds impose all the affirmative action etc stuff. The school complies or it loses its Federal funding and research grants.
There are also endowments. Tuition is a very small portion of the operating income.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course public universities are funded with tax dollars. First from the state where they are located, then from grants and Federal funding for specific programs. That's how the Feds impose all the affirmative action etc stuff. The school complies or it loses its Federal funding and research grants.
There are also endowments. Tuition is a very small portion of the operating income.
Then why the hell did I pay for college like a sucker?!
Whereas if I was an illegal immigrant or other minority, I'd have gone for free.
Next thing you know, people are gonna start wanting free healthcare.
I'm smelling a scam.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

This game is nuts!

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

Hung jury:

"A jury so irreconcilibly divided in opinion that they cannot agree upon any verdict by the required unanimity. See Deadlocked (Jury); Dynamite instruction"

Black's Law Dictionary

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why the hell did I pay for college like a sucker?!
Whereas if I was an illegal immigrant or other minority, I'd have gone for free.
Next thing you know, people are gonna start wanting free healthcare.
I'm smelling a scam.
Do you have information on a program, that fund's illegal aliens free college education?.....

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have information on a program, that fund's illegal aliens free college education?.....
Yes, it's called the Dream Act. Look into it.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
This game is nuts!
Triple OT! I didn't make it but a few minutes into 1OT so I checked the score this morning and texted my friend who you met... totally forgot about the time difference. She just answered me a few minutes ago.
:)

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's called the Dream Act. Look into it.
VofM
Did you read it? The act doesn't pay for college, it paves the way for legal status, as long as certain requirements are met. One of which is going to college, the other is military service. As a matter of fact, they are not even eligible for Pell Grants, which you were. As far as I can tell states are passing this separately.
Oh yes, they must be a good moral character, which you, fortunately, didn't have to prove.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Triple OT! I didn't make it but a few minutes into 1OT so I checked the score this morning and texted my friend who you met... totally forgot about the time difference. She just answered me a few minutes ago.
:)
I felt a weeeensy bit bad for all those Bruins fans that had to stay up until 1 a.m. only to be horribly disappointed. But then I was so fired up, I don't think I fell asleep until an hour and a half after the game ended anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 85,901 - 85,920 of97,500
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

19 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min RealDave 1,077,542
McCarthy: 'Very good leads' in investigation in... 17 min bensleys thoughts 1
Thousands march in downtown Chicago in support ... 23 min bensleys thoughts 1
Obama Gives Trillions for Wall Street, Not a Di... 32 min bensleys thoughts 5
City to install more jet noise monitors in Chicago 42 min bensleys thoughts 1
Israel And Palestine, An Animated Introduction 55 min Charles Idemi 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr wojar 174,372
•••
•••