Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Squishy: I read it (bored and nothing to do at work). WOW.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
I'm getting a pedicure. Elderly woman to my left is filling everyone in on her recent foot surgery (ew) and the ginormous middle age woman to my right keeps telling everyone that "I'm treating myself" today. Um... you're on a first name basis with every employee in here, they're asking where your daughter is at, I'm thinking it's hardly a treat...
My good friend is like that. She gets them regularly but always says she's treating herself. For some reason she has to justify herself. She is also somewhat heavy.

More annoyances: If I tell her something that I did that was clever, impressive, inc. she'll say "I'm proud of you". I finally told her to stop, that she's not my mother or kid.
This is the one I traveled with for a month. Babbled on with her quips to Europeans. who looked at her like she was nuts, confidently pronounced the different languages incorrectly. Next time if I ever go on a trip it's with me, myself and I.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Squishy: I read it (bored and nothing to do at work). WOW.
I read it, too. I need to bookmark it for next time I think I've had a crappy day at work.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
My good friend is like that. She gets them regularly but always says she's treating herself. For some reason she has to justify herself. She is also somewhat heavy.
More annoyances: If I tell her something that I did that was clever, impressive, inc. she'll say "I'm proud of you". I finally told her to stop, that she's not my mother or kid.
This is the one I traveled with for a month. Babbled on with her quips to Europeans. who looked at her like she was nuts, confidently pronounced the different languages incorrectly. Next time if I ever go on a trip it's with me, myself and I.
I have a friend at work who has gone back to school to get her teaching licensing renewed and take other mandatory coursework in order to teach here in this state -- it's taking her about two years -- and I did say the other day, "I know I don't have a right to say this to you, because you're not my mom or my kid or my spouse, but I'm so proud of you for doing this!" But I Felt like... at least I said "I don't really get to CLAIM being proud."

Maybe the right word would have been impressed or to tell her how much I respect her for doing this (and getting out of a bad marriage after 30 years).

Her hsuband had told her he was divorcing her when the youngest was done with high school, and she decided to not wait that long. He's always made six figures and she's never seen his paycheck, he controls the money. He told her she'd get nothing.

Something must have made him change, becuase he's completely cooperating with giving her half of all of their savings/investments (which is in his name only) and knows he'll have to pay alimony for a while until she can get working and earn enough to pay for rent on her own, and he said he has no problem with it.

She thinks one of their kids (three are adults, one will be a senior in HS next year) talked to him about how crappy he was treating her. I couldn't stand him from day one. I am so glad she's going to be done with him.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone watch John Oliver on TDS? I haven't gotten around to it yet. He's taking over for Stewart for the summer.
Yeah, he likes the F word a lot. Like Stewart's humor more. Oliver is funny when he does the reporter bits. The first day was funny cause all the other "reporters" were crapping on him cause he got that job. Those people are funny on that show, but that's my kind of humor, besides the fact that they hit on all the absurdity in the news.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Ang, here's something for you to try. Sounds good and fun.

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/insanely-ea...

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
jess: did you hear about Jon Stewart's recent comment about his home state of NJ?(I'm posting this for you just for the ending part.)(I know the corruption in NJ isn't limited to your governor, and that Dems probably have more power overall in your state than Reps).

Jon Stewart's leaving the country soon to make a movie, so it's probably as good a time as any to burn a few bridges. On Wednesday, Stewart slammed New Jersey Governor, and previous "Daily Show" guest, Chris Christie for holding an expensive special election only three weeks before the general, costing the taxpayers of the state more money.

Stewart rolled 2009 footage of Christie calling such a thing "irresponsible," and then revealed that the governor may have changed his mind in an effort to improve his own chances in the November election. "That is such a self-serving, corrupt abuse of power," Stewart marveled. "I miss New Jersey so much."
I hadn't heard that Jon Stewart had chimed in, but that exactly what many are saying. How can you call yourself a fiscal conservative, then spend $12 million on a special election 3 weeks before the general election?
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Taking tomorrow off and taking kid to the beach. I need a break!!!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Fort lauderdale beach???
Stina wrote:
Taking tomorrow off and taking kid to the beach. I need a break!!!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a friend at work who has gone back to school to get her teaching licensing renewed and take other mandatory coursework in order to teach here in this state -- it's taking her about two years -- and I did say the other day, "I know I don't have a right to say this to you, because you're not my mom or my kid or my spouse, but I'm so proud of you for doing this!" But I Felt like... at least I said "I don't really get to CLAIM being proud."
Maybe the right word would have been impressed or to tell her how much I respect her for doing this (and getting out of a bad marriage after 30 years).
Her hsuband had told her he was divorcing her when the youngest was done with high school, and she decided to not wait that long. He's always made six figures and she's never seen his paycheck, he controls the money. He told her she'd get nothing.
Something must have made him change, becuase he's completely cooperating with giving her half of all of their savings/investments (which is in his name only) and knows he'll have to pay alimony for a while until she can get working and earn enough to pay for rent on her own, and he said he has no problem with it.
She thinks one of their kids (three are adults, one will be a senior in HS next year) talked to him about how crappy he was treating her. I couldn't stand him from day one. I am so glad she's going to be done with him.
Good for her! As for him, it's the law that after you've been married it gets split and maintenance has to be paid to a spouse until they get remarried. Also, they get half of the pension/401ks. So I don't feel like he's being all that generous. But she's is doing awesome! Good for her!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

RACE wrote:
Fort lauderdale beach???
<quoted text>
You wish!:P

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Good for her! As for him, it's the law that after you've been married it gets split and maintenance has to be paid to a spouse until they get remarried. Also, they get half of the pension/401ks. So I don't feel like he's being all that generous. But she's is doing awesome! Good for her!
Not everywhere. There is a big difference between community property and non-community property states. Also, alimony is very rare anymore.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

For those of you who need stuff to look through tomorrow. These are pretty interesting -

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-s...

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Yes, yes I do.
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
You wish!:P

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everywhere. There is a big difference between community property and non-community property states. Also, alimony is very rare anymore.
Is not alimony anymore, it's maintenance. This is part of the Minnesota divorce law:

"Subd. 2.Amount; duration....

The maintenance order shall be in amounts and for periods of time, either temporary or permanent, as the court deems just, without regard to marital misconduct, and after considering all relevant factors including:

(a) the financial resources of the party seeking maintenance, including marital property apportioned to the party, and the party's ability to meet needs independently, including the extent to which a provision for support of a child living with the party includes a sum for that party as custodian;

(b) the time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to enable the party seeking maintenance to find appropriate employment, and the probability, given the party's age and skills, of completing education or training and becoming fully or partially self-supporting;

(c) the standard of living established during the marriage;

(d) the duration of the marriage and, in the case of a homemaker, the length of absence from employment and the extent to which any education, skills, or experience have become outmoded and earning capacity has become permanently diminished;

(e) the loss of earnings, seniority, retirement benefits, and other employment opportunities forgone by the spouse seeking spousal maintenance;

(f) the age, and the physical and emotional condition of the spouse seeking maintenance;

(g) the ability of the spouse from whom maintenance is sought to meet needs while meeting those of the spouse seeking maintenance; and

(h) the contribution of each party in the acquisition, preservation, depreciation, or appreciation in the amount or value of the marital property, as well as the contribution of a spouse as a homemaker or in furtherance of the other party's employment or business."

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
it's the law that after you've been married it gets split
Unless he hides it somewhere or spends it all.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
As for him, it's the law that after you've been married it gets split and maintenance has to be paid to a spouse until they get remarried. Also, they get half of the pension/401ks. So I don't feel like he's being all that generous. But she's is doing awesome! Good for her!
Assuming there's no pre-nup dictating otherwise. Someone making 6 figures might be more inclined to have one in place before getting married.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming there's no pre-nup dictating otherwise. Someone making 6 figures might be more inclined to have one in place before getting married.
Yeah but not so much 30 years ago. Plus they've been married 30 years...in most states that's considered a "lifetime marriage" and so the courts look at it differently than they would had they been married like 5 years or so. <shrug>

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Is not alimony anymore, it's maintenance. This is part of the Minnesota divorce law:

"Subd. 2.Amount; duration....

The maintenance order shall be in amounts and for periods of time, either temporary or permanent, as the court deems just, without regard to marital misconduct, and after considering all relevant factors including:

(a) the financial resources of the party seeking maintenance, including marital property apportioned to the party, and the party's ability to meet needs independently, including the extent to which a provision for support of a child living with the party includes a sum for that party as custodian;

(b) the time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to enable the party seeking maintenance to find appropriate employment, and the probability, given the party's age and skills, of completing education or training and becoming fully or partially self-supporting;

(c) the standard of living established during the marriage;

(d) the duration of the marriage and, in the case of a homemaker, the length of absence from employment and the extent to which any education, skills, or experience have become outmoded and earning capacity has become permanently diminished;

(e) the loss of earnings, seniority, retirement benefits, and other employment opportunities forgone by the spouse seeking spousal maintenance;

(f) the age, and the physical and emotional condition of the spouse seeking maintenance;

(g) the ability of the spouse from whom maintenance is sought to meet needs while meeting those of the spouse seeking maintenance; and

(h) the contribution of each party in the acquisition, preservation, depreciation, or appreciation in the amount or value of the marital property, as well as the contribution of a spouse as a homemaker or in furtherance of the other party's employment or business."
Then I can only speak for NJ, but the words are used interchangeably here and while it can be awarded, it rarely is.

http://www.njdivorceonline.com/njpages/Alimon...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

So I just had this fundraising call from college, a place I knew as Circle, now called UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago). It seems there are a lot more students on campus since I got out in 1971 and they hadn't half finished building the campus yet, I should hope so) and they need a quiet place to study so they want to set aside a place in the library for students to do that and they are seeking donations for that purpose.

1. Isn't that what a library is for in part- a quiet place to study?Yes, but there are more students now.
2.What's in that space now? Stacks or technology or something else? It's just open.
3. Are you asking for money for furniture? Well, no.

Sorry, my tax dollars go to the University of Illinois already and if you can't explain what the money is going to be used for, TYVM, Good Bye.

Okay group. What did I miss here?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:29PM CDT

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••