Since: Aug 09

Milwaukee, WI

#86548 Jun 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Good memory! I couldn't remember her name. But from what I"ve read, a lot of money HAS been made off of her, and her family, more than anything, wanted their loved one to get *credit* since she was never asked if this was okay. THe fact that she was black played a big role, since we have a history of treating black people like their bodies aren't their own and they aren't autonomous (such as the Tuskegee experiments). Letting men go untreated with syphillus just to see what happens? Not telling them they even have it? Horrible. Thank
You are right that millions were made eventually off of it - but not by the primary people involved (according to the book). I should remember the original doctor's name, but i don't. It seemed that he was motivated by the pure intellectual problem of having human cells reproduce outside of a human. Once he was able to accomplish that, he was sending samples all over the world at $10/piece. I don't think that there was any patent applied for - or even considered. By the time anyone thought of the monetary value of it, there were countless samples in laboratories all over the world.(I think that the money was eventually made by pharmaceutical companies by using those cells to create drugs to control their growth)

But the book had parts that were hard to read - even when it was voluntary - For example - They injected live cancer cells into volunteers in prison to see if cancer could be contagious.(Now that i think about it, I think that they even injected cancer cells into people without telling them to see the affects). Scientists, at the time, said that they had to have these kinds of experiments or cancer research would come to a halt.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#86549 Jun 4, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Please notice the post i was responding to....he said you have the right to refuse the breathelizer request.....Speaking of Book'em Danno....How tiny is the new Danno on Hawaii Five-O?.....
Didn't you just bring this up a few weeks ago? What is this obsession over Scott Caan's height.
Dahgts

Tinley Park, IL

#86550 Jun 4, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The libs are gonna try. They got the first black man elected, got him RE elected, now they're feeling emboldened. Now they're gonna get the first woman elected.... Too bad she'll be sitting in a federal prison by then... and Bammy will have been two years removed from office.
You America hater, racist, anti-feminist you

Since: Aug 09

Milwaukee, WI

#86551 Jun 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! My advice pretty much matches theirs!
I don't know why I thought of you (and I'm not surprised by your answer either).

It would be hard to be a backbone for someone that won't stand up for herself. And yet, if it is a friend, it's hard to stand by and see that person walked all over by another supposed friend. And since you introduced the two to begin with, I can see how you might feel somewhat responsible.

But, of course, you are right. While it seems like you are involved - you can't lead another's life for him/her.

(It's probably not much different than if you set up two of your friends in a romantic relationship - and that relationship goes sour)

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#86552 Jun 4, 2013
The founding fathers would not have opened their repective mouths for the British.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#86553 Jun 4, 2013
*respective*

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#86554 Jun 4, 2013
It just flings the door wide open for abuse.
DO you really want some fat pig sticking something in your mmouth so they can get their jollies?
Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it in the end too.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#86555 Jun 4, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't you just bring this up a few weeks ago? What is this obsession over Scott Caan's height.
I'm all about Hawaii 5-0, 24/7....lol....

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#86556 Jun 4, 2013
Still, the blood draw requires a warrant signed by a judge.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#86557 Jun 4, 2013
This will be my closing argument:
First and foremost, those men and women who sit high on the bench wearing dresses are attorney's-at-law who put their pants on one leg at a time too, just like me and you.
Second and finallly, any lowely lawyer who would support such an erosion of civil liberties is not a very good attorney

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#86558 Jun 4, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
DO you really want some fat pig sticking something in your mmouth so they can get their jollies?
Sound's like you've had some experience?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#86559 Jun 4, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you don't. We already distinguish between misdemeanors and felonies. There is a difference between jail and prison. We even have minimum security vs maximum security prison.
And regarding your comment to Tonka about not leaving DNA at the scene, plenty can be left there. People sweat, drool, bleed, ejaculate, shed hair, etc while in the commission of a felony.
I know what's in my heart and you can't possibly know. Yes, you leave stuff at a scene. You can pick that up. I don't leave my mouth anywhere except on my face.

Don't swab me people!:)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Jersey City, NJ

#86560 Jun 4, 2013
Dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
You America hater, racist, anti-feminist you
And that will be the exact argument the libs are gonna use.

"You're just a racist for wanting to impeach Obama!"
"Attacking Hilary just means you hate women!"

Mark my words. Some of those are already beginning to surface.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#86561 Jun 4, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? YOu do the same thing.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#86562 Jun 4, 2013
Here's on for red and all her pflag friends
http://hamptonroads.com/2013/06/former-seal-t...

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#86563 Jun 4, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
What BS. This is just your feeble attempt to deflect what you set your own self up for.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#86564 Jun 4, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
Hee hee - out of context, this sounds like a very dirty comment.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#86565 Jun 4, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Hee hee - out of context, this sounds like a very dirty comment.
I took it as a double entendre.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#86566 Jun 4, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too!!!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#86567 Jun 4, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too, but not in a funny way....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Bluestater 1,216,377
Dear Abby 4-18-15 22 min RACE 2
amy april 17 34 min PEllen 1
Ak Amy 4-8-15 38 min PEllen 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Scrutiny 186,840
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Red_Forman 5,883
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr Red_Forman 5,188
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]