Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#86527 Jun 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with refusing a Breathalyzer?
Not sure how it works in MN or IA but in IL when you get a drivers license you give implied consent to the cops to administer a breathalyzer. If you don't , two things happens: you automatically lose your license for something like 6 months for the refusal and they take you to a hospital, make a call for a search warrant and draw blood to get your BAC. Same result.

The only way you can get out of it is if the cop did not have probable cause to pull you over in the first place.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Union, NJ

#86528 Jun 4, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Nice. A well thought out answer with actual reasons other than a blanket "its too invasive". The question I have is, is this really something you're worried about? There's a million ways to achieve the same thing right now. A restaurant could set up shop near the dish washer and have this research collect samples off of forks and cups before they get washed. I think most folks who object to the swab are objecting over privacy concerns. Your example dies not seem to fit that box.
Agreed. I'm not worried about what it might potentially be used for. What they COULD do with it is frankly irrelevant to me, they don't get to have it in the first place

“reign in blood”

Union, NJ

#86529 Jun 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
YOu're delusional. You know that, right? The rest of us do.
Just because you say it....

Why don't you try backing it up with something?

And I love how you speak for everyone else.

Since: Aug 09

Milwaukee, WI

#86531 Jun 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Your DNA can be sold to private companies who then do research and make a profit on it. It has happened. Heck, it was happening 50-60 years ago with simple cancer cells. Private pharmaceutical companies profited off of tissues taken from people without their knowledge and consent. There's a famous case (I can't remember enough info to google for a link) involving a black woman from the 1950s or so. Turns out, they took a bunch of her cells (without her knowledge and consent) and made a mint off of her.
The cells are named "HeLa" after Henrietta Lacks. We read "The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks" for our book club last year - fascinating. Of course, in the 1950s, no one considered the cells are private or personal. Even the main scientists involved didn't make any money off of the cells they gave them away for very little - to promote research.

Her family was pretty much left in the dark - and through innuendo and suggestion by others - thought that they were missing out on millions.

A lot of our current social conscience on privacy and rights of our own cells didn't emerge until the last decade or two.(and even now (according to the book), you pretty much have to sign that the hospital has the right to do whatever they want with samples they send off to labs.
Bruser

Bethpage, NY

#86532 Jun 4, 2013

newseditor June 2, 2013
Obama Was Pushed By Clintons Into Endorsement Of Hillary In 2016
inShare
Email Email
FB share

(NY Post)

By By EDWARD KLEIN

“President Obama made a secret deal to support Hillary Clinton when she runs for president in 2016, campaign sources say, payback for the support her husband gave him in 2012.

Bill Clinton’s animosity toward Obama is legendary. A year before the last election, he was urging Hillary to challenge the sitting president for the nomination — a move she rejected.

According to two people who attended that meeting in Chappaqua, Bill Clinton then went on a rant against Obama.

“I’ve heard more from Bush, asking for my advice, than I’ve heard from Obama,” my sources quoted Clinton as saying.“I have no relationship with the president — none whatsoever. Obama doesn’t know how to be president. He doesn’t know how the world works. He’s incompetent. He’s an amateur!”

For his part, Obama wasn’t interested in Bill Clinton upstaging him during the presidential campaign. He resisted giving him any role at the convention.

But as last summer wore on, and Democrat enthusiasm waned, chief political strategist David Axelrod convinced the president that he needed Bill Clinton’s mojo.

A deal was struck: Clinton would give the key nominating speech at the convention, and a full-throated endorsement of Obama. In exchange, Obama would endorse Hillary Clinton as his successor.”

(which is probably why she will bite the bullet instead of exposing Obama for Benghazi. So the Democraps will have another loser backed by an incompetant ex-president, if he doesn't get impeached before then)

Since: Aug 09

Milwaukee, WI

#86533 Jun 4, 2013
Hey Red,

While i was reading the Wayne and Tamara column this week, I was thinking - I wonder how Red would handle this situation. What would your response be before you read the "expert" advice?

(You know its funny that while i really don't know any of you, every once in a while, when i'm reading these columns, I put my "imaginary" internet people in the place of the lw or the advice columnist.)

http://www.wayneandtamara.com/thisweek.htm

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#86534 Jun 4, 2013
So we had some excitement last night.

The girls have swim class, so I was with them when my husband calls to warn me that the 3-flat right next to us is on fire and that the FD has the whole place blocked off. It seems that a window unit AC caught on fire in the middle unit. The couple that lives there has a 6 month old and it seems when mom smelled smoke she just took the kid, left the building and called 911 from the alley. Dickie just happened to be home (he'd called in "sick") so he got to see the whole thing and said the fire was pretty spectacular and then the firefighters went in and started breaking windows and chopping holes in ceilings.

By the time we got home, which was much delayed due to the traffic jam that closing Sheridan Road caused, they were cleaning up, so the girls got to see some burnt-up furniture being tossed out the second floor window. Then just as they were going to bed, the power went out, so then nobody wanted to go to bed because there was no nightlight. I got some votive candles and a toy lantern out and then they were finally able to go to bed. And wouldn't ya know it, just as they were drifting off, the lights that we forgot to turn off came blaring back on. <sigh> At least they got their nightlight back.

Oh, and I got some nookie, so the night did end on a much improved note.
:D

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#86535 Jun 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with refusing a Breathalyzer?
A Driver's License come with responsibility to follow their laws....compliance is explicite in the issuance of it.....

Location hidden

#86536 Jun 4, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure how it works in MN or IA but in IL when you get a drivers license you give implied consent to the cops to administer a breathalyzer. If you don't , two things happens: you automatically lose your license for something like 6 months for the refusal and they take you to a hospital, make a call for a search warrant and draw blood to get your BAC. Same result.
The only way you can get out of it is if the cop did not have probable cause to pull you over in the first place.
My point exactly....it just comes with the territory when you are issued the license....an agreement with State law.....
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#86537 Jun 4, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>A Driver's License come with responsibility to follow their laws....compliance is explicite in the issuance of it.....
I'm not going to pullmy license out, but I am pretty sure that in FL, you are specifically signing that you will take a breathalyzer. Blue, look at the fine print on you licesnse under the signature.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#86538 Jun 4, 2013
I thought your point was implied guilt over even being asked...
So, the point is... not to take responsibility for your actions?

Sounds to me like your ready to book them, take their dna and see if you can pin a murder on them.

Good job Danno!
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>My point exactly....it just comes with the territory when you are issued the license....an agreement with State law.....

“reign in blood”

Union, NJ

#86539 Jun 4, 2013
Bruser wrote:
newseditor June 2, 2013
Obama Was Pushed By Clintons Into Endorsement Of Hillary In 2016
inShare
Email Email
FB share
(NY Post)
By By EDWARD KLEIN
“President Obama made a secret deal to support Hillary Clinton when she runs for president in 2016, campaign sources say, payback for the support her husband gave him in 2012.
Bill Clinton’s animosity toward Obama is legendary. A year before the last election, he was urging Hillary to challenge the sitting president for the nomination — a move she rejected.
According to two people who attended that meeting in Chappaqua, Bill Clinton then went on a rant against Obama.
“I’ve heard more from Bush, asking for my advice, than I’ve heard from Obama,” my sources quoted Clinton as saying.“I have no relationship with the president — none whatsoever. Obama doesn’t know how to be president. He doesn’t know how the world works. He’s incompetent. He’s an amateur!”
For his part, Obama wasn’t interested in Bill Clinton upstaging him during the presidential campaign. He resisted giving him any role at the convention.
But as last summer wore on, and Democrat enthusiasm waned, chief political strategist David Axelrod convinced the president that he needed Bill Clinton’s mojo.
A deal was struck: Clinton would give the key nominating speech at the convention, and a full-throated endorsement of Obama. In exchange, Obama would endorse Hillary Clinton as his successor.”
(which is probably why she will bite the bullet instead of exposing Obama for Benghazi. So the Democraps will have another loser backed by an incompetant ex-president, if he doesn't get impeached before then)
The libs are gonna try. They got the first black man elected, got him RE elected, now they're feeling emboldened. Now they're gonna get the first woman elected.... Too bad she'll be sitting in a federal prison by then... and Bammy will have been two years removed from office.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#86540 Jun 4, 2013
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
Hey Red,
While i was reading the Wayne and Tamara column this week, I was thinking - I wonder how Red would handle this situation. What would your response be before you read the "expert" advice?
(You know its funny that while i really don't know any of you, every once in a while, when i'm reading these columns, I put my "imaginary" internet people in the place of the lw or the advice columnist.)
http://www.wayneandtamara.com/thisweek.htm
I read the letter but not the response.

"What do I do? Do I just sit back and watch my friend suffer?"

No. You stay out of someone else's businsess and how marge conducts herself at work is not your concern, until it has an impact on you and how you do your job. Telling marge to "get a backbone" isn't going to GIVE her that backbone. Her issues are her own to deal with. I'd distance myself from both of these women, keep my focus on my work, and let them be immature.

Location hidden

#86541 Jun 4, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Nice. A well thought out answer with actual reasons other than a blanket "its too invasive". The question I have is, is this really something you're worried about? There's a million ways to achieve the same thing right now. A restaurant could set up shop near the dish washer and have this research collect samples off of forks and cups before they get washed. I think most folks who object to the swab are objecting over privacy concerns. Your example dies not seem to fit that box.
No, i'm not that worried about it. But I also don't think the cops will get the street address wrong and break into my house in the middle of the night and shoot me. But it's happened in MPls at least twice that I"m aware of. Swat team gets the wrong house. "Oops, sorry."

So I don't base my decisions and opinions on this vis a vis the likelihood of it happening to me, just that like with everything, it's a slippery slope and I"m not keen on giving up any civil liberties.

Location hidden

#86542 Jun 4, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
MN has that law, too, but it doesn't actually get enforced that way. And if you are really really drunk (over .20), you're better off refusing the breathalyzer becuase you're in less trouble than if you blow a .20.

Location hidden

#86543 Jun 4, 2013
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
<quoted text>
The cells are named "HeLa" after Henrietta Lacks. We read "The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks" for our book club last year - fascinating. Of course, in the 1950s, no one considered the cells are private or personal. Even the main scientists involved didn't make any money off of the cells they gave them away for very little - to promote research.
Her family was pretty much left in the dark - and through innuendo and suggestion by others - thought that they were missing out on millions.
A lot of our current social conscience on privacy and rights of our own cells didn't emerge until the last decade or two.(and even now (according to the book), you pretty much have to sign that the hospital has the right to do whatever they want with samples they send off to labs.
Good memory! I couldn't remember her name. But from what I"ve read, a lot of money HAS been made off of her, and her family, more than anything, wanted their loved one to get *credit* since she was never asked if this was okay. THe fact that she was black played a big role, since we have a history of treating black people like their bodies aren't their own and they aren't autonomous (such as the Tuskegee experiments). Letting men go untreated with syphillus just to see what happens? Not telling them they even have it? Horrible. Thank

Location hidden

#86544 Jun 4, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not going to pullmy license out, but I am pretty sure that in FL, you are specifically signing that you will take a breathalyzer. Blue, look at the fine print on you licesnse under the signature.
I already know it's in several places, especially that big form you signed, when getting the license or renewel was issued....refusing a breathelizer is almost taken as an admission of guilt.....It's gotten so that i rarely drink, away from home.....

Location hidden

#86545 Jun 4, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the letter but not the response.
"What do I do? Do I just sit back and watch my friend suffer?"
No. You stay out of someone else's businsess and how marge conducts herself at work is not your concern, until it has an impact on you and how you do your job. Telling marge to "get a backbone" isn't going to GIVE her that backbone. Her issues are her own to deal with. I'd distance myself from both of these women, keep my focus on my work, and let them be immature.
Hey! My advice pretty much matches theirs!

Location hidden

#86546 Jun 4, 2013
RACE wrote:
I thought your point was implied guilt over even being asked...
So, the point is... not to take responsibility for your actions?
Sounds to me like your ready to book them, take their dna and see if you can pin a murder on them.
Good job Danno!
<quoted text>
Please notice the post i was responding to....he said you have the right to refuse the breathelizer request.....Speaking of Book'em Danno....How tiny is the new Danno on Hawaii Five-O?.....
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#86547 Jun 4, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I already know it's in several places, especially that big form you signed, when getting the license or renewel was issued....refusing a breathelizer is almost taken as an admission of guilt.....It's gotten so that i rarely drink, away from home.....
Yeah, me too. It scares me. Of course, it's OK in my backyard!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Jacques Ottawa 239,464
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Julia 1,508,818
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 36 min Patriot AKA Bozo 63,551
Obama has LEAK under sink. 2 hr TroyTheTruePlumber 37
The Scoop on Weiner. 2 hr Is he Circumcised 3
Look at Minn. Maine & Michigan. 2 hr Halal-muslims 3
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 10 hr doG mnaDed lyHo p... 71,273

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages