Topix Chitown Regulars

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#86240 May 30, 2013
RACE wrote:
So, your saying that now there is a law protecting someone's right to say something that was never against the law to say in the first place?
<quoted text>
There's liberal logic for ya!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#86241 May 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
There's liberal logic for ya!
Republicans are the ones that came up with the Bill.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#86242 May 30, 2013
Damn. My India trip has been delayed yet again, this time without a new target travel date. Argh.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#86243 May 30, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Ramadan is in August isn't it?
http://www.when-is.com/ramadan-2013.asp

July to August this year.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#86244 May 30, 2013
I'm listening to a comedy podcast while I do some filing to help out another department. COmedian Jeff Ross (hilarious guy) is talking about his comedy show on Comedy Central. He does portable roasts with this Roaster Coaster - a mic stand on wheels. For Martin Luther King Jr. Day, he roasted famous black people on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. in Los Angeles, on MLK JR. Day. HA!

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#86246 May 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
It moves around because it's based on a lunar calendar. But I don't think it moves as late as December.
It will be interesting to see if that gets challenged because Ramadan is one of the major Islamic holidays.
To calculate Ramadan, if you know when it was "last" year, figure it starts about a month earlier "this" year...you can do that in any year.

It happens in December every few years. Also in (every) December is the Haj. If Ramadan is in December, so is Eid al Fitr (not sure of the spelling) which is the holiday following the last day of fasting). Mohammad's birthday is also December and though I'm *told* they don't "celebrate" that my observations tell me otherwise. <shrug>

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#86247 May 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I'm listening to a comedy podcast while I do some filing to help out another department. COmedian Jeff Ross (hilarious guy) is talking about his comedy show on Comedy Central. He does portable roasts with this Roaster Coaster - a mic stand on wheels. For Martin Luther King Jr. Day, he roasted famous black people on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. in Los Angeles, on MLK JR. Day. HA!
Oh, god. And he's still alive?

“It made sense at the time....”

Itasca, IL

#86248 May 30, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Damn. My India trip has been delayed yet again, this time without a new target travel date. Argh.
that used to happen to hubby when he was traveling, but he'd also get stuck in-country. not bad if you like a place, but a worst nightmare if you're in mexico, mexico city or brazil, stuck working over nights, doing tech stuff, eating questionable food and water... sooooo glad he's out of that job!

Hopefully your experiences will be at the other end of hte spectrum!

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#86249 May 30, 2013
RACE wrote:
So, your saying that now there is a law protecting someone's right to say something that was never against the law to say in the first place?
<quoted text>
Because *some people*(cough: like edog)*might* get upset if someone had the temerity to give a holiday greeting that *appeared* to have religious connotations and might sue the school over it. It's a preemptive effort to keep law suits at bay.

Can you imagine some people going around saying "Happy Ramadan" to someone like that without him going OFF about how it was "too religious" and had 'no place" being said in school?

Yeah, Merry Christmas, Happy Ramadan, Hanukkah, Kwanza, Solstice, etc. They all have religious connotations, more or less (spiritual at least) and a normal rational person doesn't care if someone says it to them.

In fact, a polite person without a major chip on their shoulder and a tin foil hat, would return the greeting. I have never celebrated Kwanza in my life yet when someone said it to me a few years ago I said, "Thank you, happy Kwanza to you too. Have a great holiday!" Just...like...that. Because, yanno, I'm not nuts like (cough: edog) some people.

FWIW (in case anyone missed it, I'm an atheist) I have no issue whatsoever with holiday decorations, plays, pageants, etc., at school. I have a problem with promoting religion (of any kind) and specifically with trying to indoctrinate children while they are still to young to think critically and while trust the adults in their life to be "right" and know everything. You know, before they are old enough to realize that not everything is as black and white as it seems, and to think for themselves.

<shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#86250 May 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Your logic is failing you once again. If there was no ban on Christmas, why did Texas have to pass a law that says saying "Merry Christmas" is no longer illegal?
What grade level is your reading comprehension?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#86251 May 30, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
To calculate Ramadan, if you know when it was "last" year, figure it starts about a month earlier "this" year...you can do that in any year.
It happens in December every few years. Also in (every) December is the Haj. If Ramadan is in December, so is Eid al Fitr (not sure of the spelling) which is the holiday following the last day of fasting). Mohammad's birthday is also December and though I'm *told* they don't "celebrate" that my observations tell me otherwise. <shrug>
Thank you for the education!

My Baha'i roommate would fast during ramadan, and now that I think about it, I recall the christmas tree may have been up one year...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#86252 May 30, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, god. And he's still alive?
heh. HE also went to the Westboro Baptist Church on Christmas Day this past December and roasted the church members. I love this guy.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#86253 May 30, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
I judged it "mean" just to get the frowny face (as in "feel your disappointment"), not to judge your post as mean.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#86254 May 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the education!
My Baha'i roommate would fast during ramadan, and now that I think about it, I recall the christmas tree may have been up one year...
Yeah I keep up on it. I just laid in a hundred pounds of Halal meat the other day. I cook for people during Ramadan so....

The mosque over here by me is really small. Except for the sign out front no one would even know it's a mosque. The husband goes there. He says lots of people that go there are pretty poor. Not poor like me poor, but way poor, so I make food for Ramadan (mostly chicken, rice, salads, and msemen) and regularly scour the pantry for stuff to send over there.

Making a difference that I can see instead of just anonymous donations. <shrug>

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#86255 May 30, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Can you imagine some people going around saying "Happy Ramadan" to someone like that without him going OFF about how it was "too religious" and had 'no place" being said in school?
There was a case where one school did the Islam prayer service over the intercom system to pacify the few muslims in that school. Amidst the outrage were calls for "tolerance."

Yet the pledge of allegiance has been banned....
Mimi Seattle wrote:
trying to indoctrinate children while they are still to young to think critically and while trust the adults in their life to be "right" and know everything. You know, before they are old enough to realize that not everything is as black and white as it seems, and to think for themselves.
Yet you support sex education, GAY sex education, starting at kindergarten? And all laws regarding the "age of consent" should also be banned? Children of any age are mature enough to make decisions about sex, just so long as they're not "indoctrinated" with anything that might involve a religion? Well, Christianity, anyway. Islam, Judaism, Wiccan, and any other religion is just fine.... We're trying to teach our children about sex and gayness. Christianity shouldn't be getting in the way!

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#86256 May 30, 2013
Toj wrote:
I judged it "mean" just to get the frowny face (as in "feel your disappointment"), not to judge your post as mean.
I judged it as brilliant because I'm glad she's not going. Hope she voted for Obama, because he's likely the reason! You get what you voted for, folks! Wait til you go on Obamacare, you only have yourselves to thank. Just wish you weren't dragging down the rest of us.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#86257 May 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a case where one school did the Islam prayer service over the intercom system to pacify the few muslims in that school. Amidst the outrage were calls for "tolerance."
Yet the pledge of allegiance has been banned....
<quoted text>
Yet you support sex education, GAY sex education, starting at kindergarten? And all laws regarding the "age of consent" should also be banned? Children of any age are mature enough to make decisions about sex, just so long as they're not "indoctrinated" with anything that might involve a religion? Well, Christianity, anyway. Islam, Judaism, Wiccan, and any other religion is just fine.... We're trying to teach our children about sex and gayness. Christianity shouldn't be getting in the way!
IF that happened it was illegal. Unless yanno it was a private religious school. HOWEVER, you are fullofshit. Prove it.

The pledge of allegiance has not been banned.

Don't presume to tell me what I favor. You don't know me. You are however right that IMO Christianity...AND ALL OTHER RELIGIONS shouldn't get in the way of life. IMO (ymmv) they are all based on fear, ignorance, and prejudice.

"....Quick to judge,
Quick to anger,
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand..."

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#86258 May 30, 2013
They say there is strangeness too dangerous in our theater's and book store shelves.
Those who know whats best for us must try to save us from ourselves..
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
IF that happened it was illegal. Unless yanno it was a private religious school. HOWEVER, you are fullofshit. Prove it.
The pledge of allegiance has not been banned.
Don't presume to tell me what I favor. You don't know me. You are however right that IMO Christianity...AND ALL OTHER RELIGIONS shouldn't get in the way of life. IMO (ymmv) they are all based on fear, ignorance, and prejudice.
"....Quick to judge,
Quick to anger,
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand..."

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#86259 May 30, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I keep up on it. I just laid in a hundred pounds of Halal meat the other day. I cook for people during Ramadan so....
The mosque over here by me is really small. Except for the sign out front no one would even know it's a mosque. The husband goes there. He says lots of people that go there are pretty poor. Not poor like me poor, but way poor, so I make food for Ramadan (mostly chicken, rice, salads, and msemen) and regularly scour the pantry for stuff to send over there.
Making a difference that I can see instead of just anonymous donations. <shrug>
That's very christian of you.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist making the joke. But really, you are doing a nice thing by helping.

And what is msemen?
Mimi

United States

#86261 May 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
That's very christian of you.
I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist making the joke. But really, you are doing a nice thing by helping.
And what is msemen?
LOL ppl at the pho shop are wondering why I'm laughing.

Madmen is just a (Moroccan style) flat bread. Like tortillas, naan, etc., just really really GOOD (better) when made by hand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Julia 1,603,512
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 20 min Simpleton 63,982
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 30 min WelbyMD 242,625
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 11,322
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 3,718
trump has turn this in a racial issue 2 hr dont trust trump ... 1
Anne Coulter's X Boyfriend. 2 hr Smart fella 4

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages