Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#86195 May 29, 2013
RACE wrote:
I thought all of you chi-peeps had met already.
<quoted text>
Not me.

I used to work very near one person and we would walk at lunch occasionally. I have met another twice.

Thinking about it, there are not that many any more who are actually in Chicago or immediate vicinity.

I assume you've noticed that Sam has been gone for a month or so now.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#86196 May 29, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes sense. I just see Redbox as ONE MORE THING I have to *do.*
I don't think I've ever returned a movie on time. I was always paying late fees. One night, my fees were probably $30. I said I'd pay that in full, pay for my rental, and said "add $20 for the charity thing" (they let customers pay for movie/game rentals for the children's hospital), and they took the whole $30 fine off after I offered the $20 donation.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#86197 May 29, 2013
RACE wrote:
I don't agree with Rick Perry on much but props to him on this one.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#86198 May 29, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Redbox is too much trouble. DVR...On Demand...Net Flix,*other* online movie downloads... No fuss, no muss, no waiting in line behind trailer trash (sorry, maybe not, but your description puts me in mind of that) to browse movies.
Redbox is awesome and for the right price.

We get redbox only on the weekends, if that. So at a buck a movie, lets say $4-$6 a month.

DVR will not get you movies unless you subscribe to HBO or one of the other premium channels.
On demand?$4 a movie? Hells no.
Netflix? If we get to the point where we are consistently watching enough movies that it becomes cheaper to do that than Redbox, we'll consider it then. I have redbox kiosks near me at 7-11, CVS, walmart, walgreens, publix. 3 of them are outdoors, so I don't even need to stop if it looks like a line. Just continue on to a different location.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#86199 May 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't live in Shitcago if you paid me. Didn't realize they had solved their unemployment problem.
So you attribute your ability to fin work to the sitting president and not to your own skills? Perhaps that's part of your problem.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#86200 May 29, 2013
Beetlejuice..Beetlejuice...Mff mmsss (shhhhhhh!) Dont ruin it for me.

I believe you have met squishy and Sub. I seem to remember you guys talking about it.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume you've noticed that Sam has been gone for a month or so now.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#86201 May 29, 2013
RACE wrote:
And hark, it's opposed by the ACLU.

I'm glad about this law but find it ridiculous to have to pass legislation so 80% of the country can celebrate its beliefs. I find it equally disturbing that the Supreme Court had to rule to end Chicago's handgun ban and an appeals court to end Illinois conceal carry ban. The rights of religion and the Second Amendment should not have been taken away in the first place.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#86202 May 29, 2013
RACE wrote:
Beetlejuice..Beetlejuice...Mff mmsss (shhhhhhh!) Dont ruin it for me.
I believe you have met squishy and Sub. I seem to remember you guys talking about it.
<quoted text>
Sub's not in Chicago any more, but yes, I have met him and Bambi and Squishy... and Aisle Sitter

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#86203 May 29, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
So you attribute your ability to fin work to the sitting president and not to your own skills? Perhaps that's part of your problem.
Yes. My skills are fine. It's the sitting president's economic policies that are preventing business growth and job creation. Weren't you the same people blaming Bush for the financial collapse of 08?

And during Bush, I landed a good paying job, was promoted, bought a house, and eeked out a pretty decent living. In the last five years I've seen a loss of income, layoffs, and I'm at risk of losing my house. Just sayin....

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#86204 May 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, Obama's not to blame for anything. I mean, he's only the president.
He's not to blame for YOU being expendable. That's all on you babe.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#86205 May 29, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Look down here. We've been relatively immune to economic problems.
I went through Bloomington last weekend heading for a wedding in Decatur. Looked for ya, but didn't see you anywhere. Seemed like business was pretty booming. Maybe I can land a job as a barista at Starbucks or an insurance agent at State Farm....

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#86206 May 29, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>That's rough. If I ever meet you IRL, I'll buy you a beer. Maybe two.
People were good to me when I was on unemployment a couple years ago after my company was acquired. Consider it a pay back.
If you REALLY want to help, make my car or house payment! Or let me move into your basement.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#86207 May 29, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Redbox is awesome and for the right price.
We get redbox only on the weekends, if that. So at a buck a movie, lets say $4-$6 a month.
DVR will not get you movies unless you subscribe to HBO or one of the other premium channels.
On demand?$4 a movie? Hells no.
Netflix? If we get to the point where we are consistently watching enough movies that it becomes cheaper to do that than Redbox, we'll consider it then. I have redbox kiosks near me at 7-11, CVS, walmart, walgreens, publix. 3 of them are outdoors, so I don't even need to stop if it looks like a line. Just continue on to a different location.
I have HBO and Starz so I get those movies plus Encore and the "Free Movies" option. I get something like 200 channels, even though I really only watch like 3 of them. <shrug>

I know, I know, gotta cut the Comcast habit. But they will take my DVR when they pry it from my cold dead fingers. I freaking LOVE that thing.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#86208 May 29, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>So you attribute your ability to fin work to the sitting president and not to your own skills? Perhaps that's part of your problem.
Right? Right?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#86209 May 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
If you REALLY want to help, make my car or house payment! Or let me move into your basement.
That would be interesting to explain to my husband

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#86210 May 29, 2013
RACE wrote:
"legislation allowing public schools to celebrate Christmas AND OTHER WINTER HOLIDAYS plainly and explicitly without fear of lawsuits."

"The caveat is that all displays must include imagery from at least two religions or some additional secular symbol."

"Messages encouraging adherence to a religion are verboten, too."

So how loud will dog scream when the school has winter festival that celebrates Christmas, Hanukkah, Al Hijra, and Ashura.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#86211 May 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
find it ridiculous to have to pass legislation so 80% of the country can celebrate its beliefs.
I have celebrated Christmas for 41 straight years without the aid of this law.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#86212 May 29, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
"legislation allowing public schools to celebrate Christmas AND OTHER WINTER HOLIDAYS plainly and explicitly without fear of lawsuits."
"The caveat is that all displays must include imagery from at least two religions or some additional secular symbol."
"Messages encouraging adherence to a religion are verboten, too."
So how loud will dog scream when the school has winter festival that celebrates Christmas, Hanukkah, Al Hijra, and Ashura.
Don't forget Kwanzaa and ramadan.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#86213 May 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. My skills are fine. It's the sitting president's economic policies that are preventing business growth and job creation. Weren't you the same people blaming Bush for the financial collapse of 08?
And during Bush, I landed a good paying job, was promoted, bought a house, and eeked out a pretty decent living. In the last five years I've seen a loss of income, layoffs, and I'm at risk of losing my house. Just sayin....
Hmmm...it was during Bush that my company had the first big layoff and then cut the rest of us down to 32 hours a week, effectively before eventually giving us back those missing 8 hours...minus the pay. It was during Obama that my missing pay came back...slowly, over the course of a few years. I don't blame Bush for my predicament nor do I credit Obama for getting me back my lost wages.

Dave Ramsey knows a bit about money and he's a conservative.

http://youtu.be/GcnAEVMp6mA...

"If the only place you get hope is from Barack Obama, you're up a creek.
If the only place you get hope is from John McCain, you're up a creek. What happens in your house is what matters. What happens in the white house doesn't affect what happens in your house nearly as much as your attitude, nearly as much as your perception of things"

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#86214 May 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget Kwanzaa and ramadan.
Ramadan is in August isn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,523,964
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Jacques Ottawa 240,412
A Little Ditty 10 hr Longfellow 1
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 11 hr TRD 71,285
A few ITEMS of interest. 13 hr Jocularity is Best 2
Look at Minn. Maine & Michigan. 13 hr EAT PORK 18
I think she is pissed. From a few years ago. 13 hr AlGoresLyingLockBoX 11

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages