Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
NOt sure if anyone is into storm chasing, but friends of mine are (it's how they met) and they have a website, in case this is something you're interested in:

http://www.prairiewindchasers.com/

THey also teach classes and you can hire them, I think, to take you along with them and teach you stuff.
Thank you! Ry wants to be a meteorologist when he grows up and he would love this site! His current favorite book is this http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hurricane-and...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! Ry wants to be a meteorologist when he grows up and he would love this site! His current favorite book is this http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hurricane-and...
Every April TomSkilling , a Chicago meterologist, runs a 4 hour seminar on storms and weather . I went last year. It is not dumbed down but is very audience frindly. It is fascinating. You could twitter him and ask if they do something similar in your area.
Go to teh Chicago Tribune website, click on weather and look for teh Skilling forecast link. His twitter link is there.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Wow, rough week to be a grade-schooler.
Between those stories, and another one on the news last night, I've been a crying wreck as various people talk about these things.

Thanks to something I said, Mindy has enough life insurance on her 2yo that if anything happens to him, she doesn't have to work for a year. So if she's a drunken wreck sitting in the dark, her mortgage still gets paid.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Haven't seen it. But it looks like a chick film not a date film which is why I used the example.
Yeah, i guess...only know that it is a book, that has never transferred to cinema, well....some say it is hard to connect with the lifestyles of the rich, in a time just prior to all the disaster of the Depression....interesting concept....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
In college, I checked myself into the psych ward for depression. There was *nothing* done to prevent me from hanging myself with my bedsheets.
Granted, that was 20 years ago, but I can't see the psych ward atmosphere changing that much.
Probably depending on the different type clinics or approaches....I've seen Baker Act cases, where the police take people to a place, where they are met with thorozine injections, immediately, and suicide watch is the norm......

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

But you're feeling much better now, aren't you!
:)
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Probably depending on the different type clinics or approaches....I've seen Baker Act cases, where the police take people to a place, where they are met with thorozine injections, immediately, and suicide watch is the norm......

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

RACE wrote:
But you're feeling much better now, aren't you!
:)
<quoted text>
Sure...i was the taker, not the takee...lol...

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Either I or his dad went with Chris on field trips, but not because we were helicopter-y. We just always ended getting pressed into service by the teachers.

Yeah one teacher after another grade after grade...pretty sure they talked to each other and said "make sure you lock down Chris' parents for field trips early, while they're still coming down from the back to school shopping bedlam or they will find a way of getting out of it." <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Sure you guys have seen the news about the bridge collapse. I'm fine. All my people are fine. It's about 75 miles north of here and I don't have to go that way at all. It does put a crimp in my "let's drive to Vancouver (BC not WA) one weekend soon" plans but I'll survive.

Nothing definite yet, but if anyone didn't make it out of a vehicle, over an hour for rescue and 32 degree water... Waiting on more news.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Sure you guys have seen the news about the bridge collapse. I'm fine. All my people are fine. It's about 75 miles north of here and I don't have to go that way at all. It does put a crimp in my "let's drive to Vancouver (BC not WA) one weekend soon" plans but I'll survive.
Nothing definite yet, but if anyone didn't make it out of a vehicle, over an hour for rescue and 32 degree water... Waiting on more news.
We drove from Seattle to Vancouver on vacation...must have been on it, then....did they catch the oversized truck, that set it off?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
I immediately worried about you. But then I thought the odds are so unlikely...

The mama part of squishymama thanks you for the check-in anyway.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Glad you're okay! Ang and I were just talking about the bridge in MN that collapsed a few years ago when I was up there. That would be pretty horrifying to be caught in.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My coworker's 27yo nephew committed suicide yesterday in a psych ward.:(
That's horrible. You have them there to be watched and helped. Horrible.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Either I or his dad went with Chris on field trips, but not because we were helicopter-y. We just always ended getting pressed into service by the teachers.
Yeah one teacher after another grade after grade...pretty sure they talked to each other and said "make sure you lock down Chris' parents for field trips early, while they're still coming down from the back to school shopping bedlam or they will find a way of getting out of it." <shrug>
Same here. I got the "we can't go on the field trip b/c no one will be a chaparone" to I would take the day off to go.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Same here. I got the "we can't go on the field trip b/c no one will be a chaparone" to I would take the day off to go.
We have so many volunteers that the teacher ends up pulling names out of a hat. My husband volunteered to chaperone the trip to the zoo last Friday, but he wasn't chosen.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

Did he pout?
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
We have so many volunteers that the teacher ends up pulling names out of a hat. My husband volunteered to chaperone the trip to the zoo last Friday, but he wasn't chosen.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>Did he pout?
Nope. He still went to the zoo because we took my little guy. My parents were in town and my aunt invited herself along. We ran into the school kids a couple of times, but they left about an hour before we did.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Memorial Day weekend plans?

Our office is closing in an hour and I'm planning on spending the afternoon by and in the pool. The rest of the weekend is still somewhat up in the air. It'll be nice to just relax and have a 3.5 day weekend though.

Did I tell you guys I talked to Jasper yesterday morning? It went very well.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. He still went to the zoo because we took my little guy. My parents were in town and my aunt invited herself along. We ran into the school kids a couple of times, but they left about an hour before we did.
Ha ha, still got to go to the zoo, not watch other peoples' kids, AND got to stay longer. Win.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

85 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min forks_make_us_fat 1,079,353
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 15 min Doug77 4,548
Abby 7-24 15 min Mister Tonka 18
Body To Body Massage 00971509265299 19 min DuabiMassageGirls 1
last post wins! (Apr '13) 25 min Concerned_American 294
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 31 min jacques Mont Tremblant 174,521
Execution takes 2 hours. GOOD,HAPPY 4 THAT 38 min Joe Wood killed 2 in 1989 1
Amy 7-24 52 min squishymama 17
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••